IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
WyattEarp

How big is your footprint?

Rate this topic

http://www.earthday.net/footprint/index_reset.asp?pid=2940942654211388

Wanna take a quiz to see how you compare, ecologically, with your fellow earthlings?

One footprint=one or more acres. I found this quiz on a Duke University Bulletin board, although they didn't invent it. Most of the Duke participants who took this quiz had rather large "footprints" which revealed that if everyone lived like them, we would require 5, 6, or 7 *planets* to accomodate everyone's wants and needs on this particular planet.

It's not a perfect quiz, but it does give a rough estimate demonstrating how materialism and greed can create a huge ecological strain on Mother Earth.

The average size footprint of those who took this quiz is 24, which corresponds with how many acres each individual requires to survive. I scored a 12, which is below the national average. Still, if everyone lived like me, we would need 2.8 planets to accomodate everyone's needs. So, I still have a long way to go towards simplifying my life.

I suspect that most devotees' scores will be much lower.

This quiz consists of 15 questions, at which time your "footprint" (the number of acres you require for your daily needs) will be determined, along with the number of planets required, if everyone shared your footprint size.

Wyatt

Guest guest

CATEGORY ACRES

FOOD 3

MOBILITY 1.7

SHELTER 3.2

GOODS/SERVICES 4.4

TOTAL FOOTPRINT 12

IN COMPARISON, THE AVERAGE ECOLOGICAL FOOTPRINT IN YOUR COUNTRY IS 24 ACRES PER PERSON.

WORLDWIDE, THERE EXIST 4.5 BIOLOGICALLY PRODUCTIVE ACRES PER PERSON.

IF EVERYONE LIVED LIKE YOU, WE WOULD NEED 2.8 PLANETS. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif