IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Sunandaji

Brahmin threads

Rate this topic

Haribol !!

anyone who could help me to get Brahman threads would be welcome. i live in France and here's it's a hassel to get some. i contacted some european Krsna distribution and they just sent me all dirty and spoiled ones, can you believe this ?

I'll send money to anyone that can buy from me and then send them. thanx for your help. i'm interested in a few or a lot, whatever you can do is welcome.

my email is :

silvertouch108@.fr

Thanx so much

Guest guest

If you have any hindu temple, go and ask the priests for the threads. Invariably in all hindu temples the priests will have the threads.

Also I noted that ISKON's are not aware of the Shravana month upakarma day I beleive. After having my thread changed in the nearby hindu temple, I went to an ISKON temple and when asked them they said they are not aware and not told

anyone who could help me to get Brahman threads would be welcome. i live in France and here's it's a hassel to get some. i contacted some european Krsna distribution and they just sent me all dirty and spoiled ones, can you believe this ?

Yes I believe it and am not surprised one bit, sad to say.

I have never been disappointed when buying books and paraphenalia from Krishna Culture, which I have done many times. Nice folks,quick service and NEVER a problem. Sorry i don't have a link handy.

But before that even see if matchlessgifts.com has any. If this doesn't turn into a link you can click on Indiadivine at the bottom of a page on this site.

I was the one who posted the very first reply but forgot to log on.

Regarding your question on if hindu priests will give threads to westerners, Of course why not. I am in US and I see here in the Hindu temple that good number of westerners who practice hinduism come to the temple and participate in the monthly festivals like Pradosham, Satyanarayana Pooja etc. As long as one is clean and really honest in his Bakthi, the priest will not have any problem in giving the sacred thread.

If they refuse, its not because they dont want to give you, but because they are afraid that westerners might misuse or in other words, not know the vedic way. So if you explain to them that you have faith in Sanathana dharma and you follow that, I dont think any priest will refuse you. Some Hindu priests are little apprehensive because in India we faced good amount of shame from others for following the vedic rules and thats why they hesitate. So if you tell them that you are a follower of Shri Hari, He should not refuse.

As per vedic rules, a brahmachari should wear single one (three threads tied with one knot), married men should wear two sacred threads (totally six threads tied by two different knots) and men whose parents have passed away or who have dont Kanniga dhanam should wear 3 threads.

there is a proper way and mantra to be chanted before wearing it and the thread should be changed only in the morning after taking bath and performing achamanam followed by pranayama. YOu can ask the priest himself to give you the copy of the manthra that is for about a page only in short.

These sacred threads are normally woven only during the Sukla paksha (ie) after new moon. Its primarily because of the many vedic rules that need to be strictly followed, it might appear for westerners that the brahmins are making fuss. Its not fuss, but we have to follow properly. If you also notice the mantras, everything is dedicated to Lord Sri Hari.

One becomes brahmin by his nature, character and morals and more importantly in realising the Parabrahamn. I noticed that good number of ISKON followers follow our brahminical vedic traditions and I feel that they should observe this ceremony once in a year during Shravana month and regularly change the sacred threads like we brahmins do in India.

It must also be noted here that these threads do not apply to people who got iniated for Sanyasi life. A sanyasi is suppose to have renounced totally and hence he is beyond any of these.

So whoever is not initiated for Sanyasi, may wear this as per their status in grahastha life.

I hope the information helps.

Raghavan

Guest guest

One becomes brahmin by his nature, character and morals and more importantly in realising the Parabrahamn. I noticed that good number of ISKON followers follow our brahminical vedic traditions and I feel that they should observe this ceremony once in a year during Shravana month and regularly change the sacred threads like we brahmins do in India.

Your suggestions are reasonable. I think you will find that there are many in ISKCON who would be happy to embrace this tradition provided it were spelled out for them, and they were not forced into it.

Instead of merely suggesting it, why don't you spell out the way by which this ceremony is observed, complete with mantras (transliterated so they can be pronounced properly)?

I am giving the introduction to the vedic way of this thread ceremony that we brahmins still follow in India. IN olden days, it was not only for brahmins but also for Kshatriyaas and vaisyas, but now in present days, they eat everything and dont follow many things and this ceremony is now being followed only by brahmins especially more in south India and very few brahmins in Northern India.

The following are from chennai online site.

Come Aavani and the Hindu Brahmin community of India will be busy with preparations for the important festival, Aavani Avittam. Popularly known thus, the festival is called "Upaakarmam" in Sanskrit.

According to Hindu tradition, a boy has to be introduced to the rites of religion by means of the poonool (thread) ceremony or "Upanayanam" when he turns 7. His first Veda classes would start on the auspicious day of Sravana Pournami and continue till the first pournami of Thai Maasam. The lad cannot learn fresh Vedas till the next Sravana Pournami and has to practice all that he has been taught so far. This is known as vedarambam or vedosthsarjanam.

According to Hindu scriptures, as this could be done only during certain junctures, the upakarma has to be performed every year. Thus, every year on Aavani Avittam, (shravana month in sanskrit) the poonool or sacred thread is changed anew, along with the chanting of mantras. This ceremony can be performed not just by Brahmins but also by the Kshatriya and Vaisya communities.

Aavani Avittam isn't just a ceremony to change the sacred thread (poonool) alone. The rituals of Kaamokaarsheeth Japam, Gaandarishi Tharpanam and Gayathri Japam are very important as well. To perform the Kaamokaarsheeth Japam, one has to chant the mantra "Kaamokaarsheen, Manyu rakaar sheeth", 1,008 times. By chanting this, one begs forgiveness from the Lord by saying "I have succumbed to lust and anger and have slipped from my duties".

The three vedas of Rig, Yajur and Sama and their subsects have many acharyas who follow these Vedas. They are known as Gaandarishis. The ritual that is done to pay obeisance to them is only Gaandarishi tharpanam. The gayathri mantra is chanted 108 times to wash away the sins committed by a person, if any mistakes have been committed during his veda induction.

Living in this fast paced world, many have forgotten the reasons behind these rituals and Aavani Avittam has become just a duty to be carried out. Many of our people seem to have forgotten the significance behind these ceremonies. According to the Vedas, the upanayanam is applicable to Kshatriyas and Vaisyas also and not just Brahmins. The word "upanayanam" means "take closer". By teaching a lad the gayathri mantra and putting on him the sacred thread of yagnyopaveedham, one is actually taking him close to Brahman. From that day on, he is deemed fit to learn the vedas and practice vedic rites.

The poonool thread yagnyopaveetham means "brahma soothram". The ritual of upanayanam, actually begins with the gayathri mantra. These two are inseparable. The 3 stages as chanted in the Gayathri

"thatsa vithurvarenyam,

bargo devasya dhee mahi

diyo yonah prachodayath",

denote the three strands of thread of the poonool. Similarly, the gayathri starts with the pranava mantra "Om" and continues as "bhoor bhuva suvaha". This is called "Vyahruthi". To denote these, the poonool has three knots, brahma granthi, vishnu granti and rudra granti.

Brahmacharis (bachelors) are made to wear the poonool thread with three strands. After marriage, the number of strands are increased.

According to the Gayathri, the nine strands of the poonool signify

Knowledge about the Aathma

Procurement of skills

Achieving individual greatness

Purity

A divine mind

Honesty

Wisdom

Humility

Service

I will find the mantras and post it here.

Raghavan

The significance of the sacred thread

The sacred thread consists of three strands, joined by a knot known as Brahmagranthi or the knot of Brahma. The three strands symbolise the Hindu trinity - Shiva, Vishnu and Brahma. There are various interpretations of the three strands to represent many of the other triads like Mahasarasvati, Mahalakshmi and Mahakali. Or the three qualities known as sattva, rajas and tamas; past, present and the future; the three states - wakefulness, dream and deep sleep. Some even say that it represents the three dimensions known as heaven (swarga), earth (martyaloka) and nether regions (patala).

But the most important meaning of the three strands is ida, pingala and susumna nadi, through which the kundalini energy manifests as prana and consciousness, says Sadguru Sant Keshavadas. Yajno-pavita means ‘thread of sacrifice.’ That is so called because it symbolises the sacrifice of ego, says Sadguru Sant Keshavadas.

The Manusmrti specifies the following ages for the initiation ceremony to take place.

In the eighth year after conception, one should perform the initiation (Upanayana ceremonies of sacred thread) of a Brahmana, in the eleventh year after conception (that) of a Kshatriya, but in the twelfth year that of a Vaisya. II.36

The sacred thread is a passport to obtain education. It is a prerequisite for education and also for marriage. For without it no man can dream of getting a bride for him. It was considered important because a person with Yajnopavita must have undergone all the oaths associated with wearing it and should have led a celibate life and should have completed a major portion of his education. Brahmachari or the bachelor (also, a learner) wears a single sacred thread. The householder or the married person wears two. A person who is married and has lost one or both of his parents wears three.

There are different methods of wearing the Sacred Thread at different occasions. While performing an auspicious ceremony one should be Upaviti, that is, the Sacred Thread should hang from his left shoulder. At the performance of some inauspicious ceremony one should be Prachnaviti, that is, the Sacred Thread should hang from the right shoulder; and at times he is called Niviti when the Sacred Thread is worn round the neck like a garland.

The investiture of Upanayana demands the chanting of Gayatri mantra. The description of the Gayatri Mantra is given in a different page.

‘The three of the twice born (namely, Brahmins, Kshatriyas and Vysyas) owe a duty to the Rishis, the Celestials and the Ancestors. The duty to the Rishis can be discharged only by deep study. The duty to the celestials can be discharged by oblations and offertories alone. And the duty to the ancestors can be discharged only by begetting children and bringing them up properly.

It may be noted that contrary to the popular belief these days that only a Brahmin is called a dvija or twice-born, it was customary to call the Kshatriyas and Vysyas also as twice-born. While the first birth is of course from the natural mother, a person is said to be born again when he is initiated into brahmacharya or a vow of celibacy until he completes his education. Yajnopavita samskara is the ceremony that initiates him into his duties that start with learning.

Sadguru Sant Keshavadas says that the sacred thread is to be changed as a rule, once in four months (‘Gayatri, The Highest Meditation’ by Sadguru Sant Keshavadas). Even if this is not done, it has perforce to be changed on a specific time every year. The changing of the sacred thread is observed once in a year on the full moon day of the Tamil month of Avani on the star Avittam. This ceremony coincides with the Raksha Bandhan celebrated enthusiastically all over the country when women tie a string on the wrist of men and accept them as their brothers. The day therefore is associated with two different ‘string’ ceremonies.

The Description of Gayatri Mantra

Om The word that is God

Om Bhuh God who is eternal

Om Bhuvaha God who is the creator

Om Svah God who is independent

Om Mahah God who is worshipful

Om Janah God who has no beginning

Om Tapah God who is the light of wisdom

Om Satyam God who is the truth

Om Tat That Eternal God

Savitur The creative principle of light manifesting through the sun

Varenyam That Su preme God propitiated by the highest Gods

Bhargo The light that bestows wisdom, bliss and everlasting life

Devasya The light of that effulgent God

Dhimahi We meditate

Dhiyo Intellect

Yo Who

Nah Our

Pracodayat May lead towards illumination

Om Apo Om -(one who protects us from) the waters (of karma)

Jyotih --(One who is) the Light (of all the Lights)

Raso --(One who is) quintessence (in everything)

Amrtam ---(One who blesses us with) immortality

Brahma --That Almighty God

Bhur Bhuva Svar ---(Who is pervading in earth), atmosphere and heaven

Om -----(May he bless us with enlightenment)