IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
krsna

I'm not at all interested in religion,but I want to be spiritual

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Ask them what they mean by the terms "religion" and "spiritual". Then listen very carefully. Who knows, you might learn something.

Whoever asked you this, I am not surprised, as I was also asked by few comrades, after I came to US. The answer what I gave was, religion and spirituality are intertwined and it is the one that distinguishes the humans with six senses from the animals. One can remain with high morals, vegetarianism habits, no alcohol or smoking, with great helping tendencies, but when their soul does not search for the original source which is the Supreme Personality of Godhead, there is no spirituality in that person, since for all the good deeds they do, they would still come back again and again. But invariably such souls are somehow made to realise God at some time point.

Spirituality is not just self discipline, but realising GodHead along with self disciplined life as long as one remains in the material body. Depending on the language they speak and the culture each one of us follow, we have different names for God. So spirituality and religion cannot be separated. It is like trying to separate oxygen and hydrogen from water and still calling it as water when they are in gaseous forms.

We have enough oxygen and hydrogen in gaseous stage in our atmosphere, but only in the presence of a catalyst they form water even in experimental conditions. Once water is formed, even if it evoporates, they still remain as water molecule and get converted to clouds and come as rain again once again. This water forms everything. If religion and spirituality are like oxygen and hydrogen, then the catalyst is the Faith that couples the two and make the soul realise Godhead or make the soul to search for God head.

Raghavan

Actually such questions aren't really so bad. The reason? Because the western definition of religion often means to do something with regularity, like once every Sunday to think of God, forget Him the rest of the week. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Therefore many have lost interst in what passes for religion in kali yuga, whereas the word "spiritual" means to interweave God in the tapestry of your life -- in every corner and thread you can. So that's how they generaly view it anyway, and really, that's pretty darn good for the times we are in.

It also indicates they are sick of false religions and are seeking something real. Its an opportunity to share sublime Krishna consciousness with them.

And what a great response from our long-lost friend.

They're all returning. I even received news from Haridham: his wife will soon be with him - no glitches at all. He may rejoin us here soon.

Guest guest

Interesting comparison, prabhu. Thank you. I see religion as a vehicle. Get in and drive somewhere. Wouldn't want to live in it all the time...

Thank you for your comments

--------------

It also indicates they are sick of false religions and are seeking something real. Its an opportunity to share sublime Krishna consciousness with them.

-------

"If one simply follows the instructions of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, under the guidance of His representative, and chants the Hare Krsna mantra, teaching everyone as far as possible the same principle, the contamination of the materialistic way of life will not even touch him. It does not matter whether one lives in a holy place like Vrindavana, Navadvipa or Jagannatha Puri or in the midst of European cities where the materialistic way of life is very prominent. If a devotee follows the instructions of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, he lives in the company of the Lord. Wherever he lives, he converts that place into Vrindavana and Navadvipa. This means that materialism cannot touch him. This is the secret of success for one advancing in Krsna consciousness."

(Caitanya-caritamrta, Madhya-lila 7.129 Purport)

Yes..The same thing what you mentioned, I said as, The soul does not belong to east or west. Its the Bakhti that counts. But I am sorry to mention that there are good number of western devotees who look down at others because they are not americans. Do you call that as advancement in spirituality. They still have the feeling of superiority ffor nothing. Is itn't that shame among ISKON.

Sorry to mention but its a fact, from my personal experience. Well..there are really good people also who are humble.

We try to be part of Krsna Consciousness revival revolutionary spiritual culture.

So whatever I do, I do it for Krsna.

It is all His.

Moreover Krsna is everywhere and everything is in Krsna.

This spiritual conciousness is attainable by simply chanting the Hare Krsna Mahamantra.

But sometimes due to weakness of heart or previous bad conditionings this spiritual cultivation of chanting Hare Krsna seems foreign to me(the spirit soul).

Guest guest

Introduce them to jnana yoga instead of karma yoga. Introduce them to philosophy instead of puja.

does the blindman seek the apple because it is red? or because it tastes good?