IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Cher's Tough Love Turns Son Into Hare Krishna

Rate this topic

It's pretty interesting though that he didn't want to leave anything else for any Krishna societies at the end. I also thought it odd that his family was upset at rumors suggesting he was going to leave money for iskcon, as if they were embarassed by the fact.

All this makes me wonder if he had a change of heart.

I have all ready explained this, as has Babru. Therefore maybe you rather believe he had a change of heart (negatively). I will explain it one more time.

1) Many donaitons to ISKCON do not go where they are suppose to go. There is often mismanagement of money at best, and sometimes it is even pocketed. I am not even sure at this point if I would leave something to ISKCON! Also, he may have left some small sum to the temple in England, not sure, but it doesn't really matter.

2) His family are not him. Its not all one, they are separate individuals. He is the only one who met Srila Prabhupada personally. His wife is into Self Realization Fellowship MORE than Iskcon. His family also has to be extremely careful because many have financially (& other ways) taken advantage of them, including some devotees!

Try to understand instead of trying 'not' to understand.

I sure hope we didnt do anything to jeapordize George's spiritual life and his outlook on prabhupad and his movement.

We didn't. Don't let this persons negativity get to you. George was even sending flowers for Vyaspuja to the temple sometime in the 90's.

I guess I have to go get some quotes and post them here. I'm a little busy at the moment, but will do it.

We need to improve ourselves.

I agree on this, but George was not that weak to have a loss of faith due to anything at all the devotees did or did not do. This may disappoint some, but his faith was stronger than many may 'like' to believe.

Guest guest

i used to live next door to George, still, in the

jungles of east maui, his main house was a quarter mile

from my house, this is in lower nahiku,probably

the most beautiful and secluded place in Hawaii.

his bodyguard gave me a ride home

when he spotted me walking the mile from

the cove to my house, i asked him what was George's

spiritual beliefs, he replied "he's into shiva

right now".

“Please offer my blessings to Sriman George and all the other Prabhus there. I am marking that George has the serving spirit, and that is making him advance gradually.” - Srila Prabhupada. Srila Prabhupada Letter to Syammasundara, Los Angeles, 4 May, 1970

----

“Sriman George Harrison has certainly done an unique service by contributing $19,000 for publishing my Krsna book. When I was in London, he saw me four times and he was very submissive and devout and he was not at all proud of his very well-to-do material position. He has a reputation as a first class musician and he is considered to be rich or as they say one of the richest men in the world. Still he was not at all puffed up, but was humble, meek, polite, and devout. So all these qualities and his service to Krishna will certainly help him in his advancement of Krishna Consciousness. Thus I see that although he is not an initiated disciple, still he has been trying to help us in so many ways.” ~ Srila Prabhupada Letter to Bhagavan, Los Angeles, 8 February, 1970

----

From London the "Hare Krishna Mantra" record has worldwide sales. This is managed by Mr. George Harrison, the famous English musician, who is my uninitiated devotee. This boy has paid me recently $19,000 for publishing my Krishna book. The whole amount will be required for publishing the book in Japan”. Srila Prabhupada Letter to: Hanuman Prasad Poddar, Los Angeles, 5 February, 1970

----

“I am so glad to learn that Sriman George is making good advancement in Krishna consciousness. He is a good soul and I am praying for him to Krishna, so surely he will make advancement. His book, Krishna, is already ready for being sent to the press.” Srila Prabhupada Letter to: Syamasundara, Los Angeles, 6 January, 1970

----

"Please accept my blessings. I beg to acknowledge receipt of your letter dated 7th May, 1970, written on Hare Krishna stationery of George Harrison. My hearty thanks are to George Harrison because now he is chanting Hare Krsna so enthusiastically. May Krsna bless him more and more, and he may advance in Krsna consciousness." SP letter to Shymasundara, LA, May 14, 1970

----

"When I remember all of you in London, as well as George Harrison, I become very happy because the combination is very much hopeful. I am so glad to learn that George has said, "I don't want to make nonsense records any more." This version of George I consider very valuable. His popularity and his great talent can be very nicely utilized by producing such nice records as "Govinda," instead of producing something nonsense. In our Vaisnava literature there are hundreds and thousands of nice purportful songs, and if those songs, under George's supervision, are recorded, I think it will bring a great revolution in the record making business. SP Letter to Gurudasa, LA, March 15, 1970

----

Prabhupada: “...given the facility of assembling in this nice house, this good boy George Harrison, we must give him all glories. We must be thankful to him that he has given us the facility, and Krsna will bless him more and more.” - S.P. Arrival Address, London, July 7, 1973

----

"But one thing is, our experience is that such big men will not help us--except if there is some rare soul like Mr. George Harrison, and they must be guided also by our personally contacting them again and again and slowly build-up the relationship. We are more interested that the mass of men shall support us--what good a handful of high-class supporters will do? Just like in your country, there was election, and the opponent of Mr. Nixon, he was supported by all high-class men, but because Mr. Nixon had help of the common men he was successful and won the fight. But, if even one such high-class man becomes preacher on our behalf, if he actually becomes converted to Krishna Consciousness preaching work, then that is the best contribution of your preaching also. Just like George, now he is practically converted and he is only preaching about Krishna, and he has done that from the beginning--I think you knew him in London also, so you know how he is helping us push on the preaching-- " SP letter to Mukunda, Bombay India, Dec 27, 72

----

Srimad-Bhagavatam recommends that we shall employ our life, money, intelligence, and words for the service of the Lord. So Syamasundara, employed his intelligence to bring George Harrison into the service of Krishna Consciousness and thus George's money has been employed in Krishna's service. This is the whole process of Krishna Consciousness--First of all one should dedicate his life for Krishna's service; that is very nice. If he cannot dedicate his whole life, then let him devote his money; if he cannot devote his money, then let him devote his intelligence; and if he cannot devote his intelligence also, then let him devote his voice in Krishna Consciousness by uttering Hare Krishna Mantra. Therefore Hare Krishna Mantra is the greatest common factor for self-realization. Please preach this philosophy whole-heartedly and Krishna will be very much pleased upon you." SP (Srila Prabhupada) letter to Bhagavan dasa, LA, Feb 8, 1970

----

“Is it not possible to have a small temple in George's house so you can engage in temple worship? That is necessary. If there is a small temple there, then you and your wife and others can be nicely engaged. I think George does not require to become my formal disciple because he is already more than my disciple. He has sympathy for my movement and I have all blessings for him. He can easily spare that chapel for developing it into a nice Krishna Consciousness temple. We do not want any proprietorship right, but we want simply to utilize the nice place into a nice temple.” -Srila Prabhupada Letter to Syamasundara, Los Angeles, 12 April, 1970

Thank you for your reply priitha prabhu ji.

I think I did get this persons negativity get to me. I think a lot of people are envious that famous people like iskcon and in their eyes because of their feelings of iskcon they have to put these people down.

I think it would be awful if someone lost faith in themselves or even iskcon if someone treated them bad or took advantage of them. I still hope George was part of PRabhupads movement till the end. When I read the above statements where it said he wasnt with the devotees as he was passing or he didnt leave money i was quite sad and disapointed.

Not neccesirly with George but our conduct that caused him to do that. As long he chanted and such thats all that matters but I know Mukunda Swami was his good friend and i hope their relationship is good. I Know i will never leave Srila Prabhupads movement. I Just hope I can just do something to serve Prabhupad while I am here.

Just Like George.

Hare Krsna

Haridham

Yeah, he was into Shiva, as a "demi-god." After all, he didn't chant "Shiva" at the time of death, or when he was physically attacked, but "Hare Krishna."

Besdies, I doubt a bodyguard would know as much about what he was into as Mukunda M. and Shymasundara, etc., what to speak of what the various philosophis and beliefs (Shiva and Krishna consciousness) entail. And in Krishna consciousness we can also worship Lord Shiva cuz he is the greatest Vaisnava, whereas I dont know if (fully dedicated) Sivites worship Krishna.

Priitha prabhu, those were nice quotes.

I also remember Iskcon making a movie just after Georges Passing where the devotees their pastimes with George.

THey even Had George Speaking.

IT was a nice video. Only George and Krsna know what exactly happened.

I feel kinda at odds because this was supposed to be a light post and not something crazy.

DO we have to make everything a big deal

Oh and by the way Ravi Shankars Daughter is coming to Vancouver. Aukunsha or whatever her name is. Maybe I will talk to her. If i dont get takled by security or something.

hare Krsna.

Guest guest

"I'm sorry if anyone took offense. When I read the website on vnn it sounded like he was a congregational member. And I thought to myself how do they accept them so freely, while people of other missions (of all qualification levels) suffer worse ostrasizing and negative treatment then people coming to temple who apparently don't follow principles. But airing out thoughts like these apparently generates discord so I won't do it anymore."

>you are right... everyone has to be welcomed at the temple, but the devotees are special.. of any mission

"people get ostracized when they are offenders, no matter what mission they come from or who's son they are"

>i do not think so... there's a lot of politic going on

SRILA PRABHUPADA’S LETTERS:

Letter to Gurudasa, March 15, 1970 LA, Ca.

“Regarding George Harrison, I am sure he will improve now in Krishna Consciousness. Krishna Consciousness is developed only by service. So he has very willingly and gladly served Krishna in many ways. The recent "Govinda" record, which your good wife has sung along with you, is certainly super-excellent, and it has become so nice because of George's attention upon it. So whenever this nice boy comes to our Temple, please receive him very nicely. Give him Prasadam and if possible talk with him about Krishna, and thus he will advance more and more in Krishna Consciousness.

When I remember all of you in London, as well as George Harrison, I become very happy because the combination is very much hopeful. I am so glad to learn that George has said, "I don't want to make nonsense records any more." This version of George I consider very valuable. His popularity and his great talent can be very nicely utilized by producing such nice records as "Govinda," instead of producing something nonsense. In our Vaisnava literature there are hundreds and thousands of nice purportful songs, and if those songs, under George's supervision, are recorded, I think it will bring a great revolution in the record making business.

So when he says that he does not wish to produce nonsense this does not mean that he has to close his business. On the other hand, he will get greater opportunity for producing finest transcendental records which are still unknown to the world. When you meet him again, you can talk with him what I am speaking to you in this letter. My special thanks are due to your good wife, Srimati Yamuna devi. Her singing songs of Krishna Consciousness, and Krishna will certainly bless her and you all.

Please offer my blessings to all the boys and girls, and be happy. You will be pleased to know that Acyutananda is also doing very nicely in Calcutta. He is moving in very enlightened circles of Calcutta, and somebody is giving us a plot of land worth Rs. 80,000 for constructing a Temple there. When the Temple is constructed, I shall ask you to go there with your wife and preach Krishna Consciousness amongst the Indian community. Sometimes you desired to go to India, and Krishna will fulfill your desire to a greater extent. Krishna's service is so nice. Keep this faith always in mind and serve regularly--your life will be sublime.

Hope this will meet you in good health.

Your ever well-wisher,

A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami “

----

A Letter from Srila Prabhuapda to George:

Los Angeles, 16 February, 1970

Sriman George Harrison

c.o Apple Record Co.

London

England

My Dear George,

Please accept my blessings. I am so much obliged to you for your valued cooperation in spreading my movement of Krsna Consciousness throughout the whole world. I beg to acknowledge receipt herewith of your contribution of $19,000 (nineteen thousand dollars) for publication of my book, Krsna, now going to the press within the week.

Please note that every farthing of this money will be employed in the service of the Lord, and the Lord is so kind and grateful that He will bestow upon you benediction at least ten times more than that you have done for Him. It does not, however, mean that Lord Krsna is like a business man, and He bestows benediction when He is profited by our service. The Lord is full in Himself; He does not require our service, but if we render service unto Him in love and devotion, such action enriches our very existence.

The example in this connection is given that when a man decorates his face, he does not feel much enjoyment because he cannot see his own face. But he enjoys his beautiful face when it is reflected on the mirror. In other words, when a living entity, by rendering service to the Lord, feels happy, the Lord enjoys the situation.

Under the pressure of illusory energy, especially in the age of "Kali," all the people of the world are unhappy; but I am sure if they take to this simple chanting of the Holy Name of the Lord

Hare Krsna Hare Krsna Krsna Krsna Hare Hare

Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare

under the guidance of Lord Caitanya, certainly they will be happy.

I know that both you and John are very good souls. Both of you are pledged to do something for the peace of the world. By the grace of Krsna, you have already realized to some extent about the necessity and importance of Hare Krsna movement in the world. Similarly, if John also does so, it will be a great event.

John and his wife were very kind upon me when I was staying at Tittenhurst Park as their guests. I always prayed for them to Krsna for understanding this great movement. Please inform him this message on my behalf. I have dreamt something very nice about John which I shall disclose in proper time. In the meantime, please ask him to cooperate with this movement as you are doing, and he will be very happy.

Please try to understand the philosophy of Krsna Consciousness in a nutshell: Every living entity has a dormant propensity to love somebody other who is very excellent in his opinion. Everyone of us therefore wants to love somebody else, attracted by his different varieties of opulences. Somebody loves some other either on account of riches, power, popularity, beauty, knowledge, or renunciation. But this loving propensity for somebody else is fundamentally meant for the supremely rich, powerful, popular, beautiful, wise, and unattached Lord Krsna.

Everyone is hankering after loving the Supreme Personality of Godhead, but none of them has the right information. By Krsna Consciousness movement we want to broadcast this information that if anyone reposes his loving propensity upon Krsna, he will immediately feel full satisfaction, as much as he feels full satisfaction by supplying food in the stomach. Otherwise, everyone will be frustrated.

Please try to understand this simple philosophy by critical analysis, and I hope by the grace of Krsna you will be a great servant of His in fulfilling His desire that He may be known by His Holy Name in every village and every city all over the world, and thus the people will become happy.

Hope this will meet you in good health and shall be very much pleased to hear from you.

Your ever well-wisher,

A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami

ACBS:db

-----------

George Harrison’s Talks With Prabhupada:

George Harrison: When my mother died I had to send my sister and father out of the room, because they were getting emotional, and I just chanted Hare Krsna.

Prabhupada: She chanted.

George Harrison: I did.

Prabhupada: Oh, very nice, so she could hear?

George Harrison: I don't know, I don't know, she was in like a coma or something. It was the only thing I could think of.

Prabhupada: When it happened?

George Harrison: In 1970. It was the only thing I could think of that may be of value, you know.

Prabhupada: Anyway, if she has heard Hare Krsna, she'll get the benefit. Either she chants or somebody chanting, if she hears, sravanam kirtanam, both the same thing. Little chance. Svalpam apy asya dharmasya trayate mahato bhayat. So let us practice in such a way that at the time of death we may remember. That is success. Tyaktva deham punar janma naiti mam eti kaunteya. (Bg. 4.9) So you are reading KRSNA repeatedly? KRSNA book you are reading repeatedly?

George Harrison: Well, you know, I read it every so often. I always take the GItA with me wherever I go. I mean that's the one I just keep all the time. But you know, I'll just sometimes read a little of something, a little bit of something else. I've never been a great reader.

Prabhupada: (laughs) No, you have got chance here to think soberly. But on account of your chanting "Krishna" so many people are chanting.

George Harrison: I don't think it's on my account.

Prabhupada: No, they say "George chants Hare Krishna." They say. Do they not?

Mukunda: Yes.

Prabhupada: And you have got many thousands followers.

George Harrison: It's nice, but I think we all...

Prabhupada: Anyway, you go on chanting. That will influence. There is a poetry written by, I think in the Caitanya-caritamrta. Rupa GosvAmI is wondering, "I do not know what sweetness there is in these two words, Krs-na."

Gurudasa: The verse starts with priya, "dear."

Prabhupada: Varna-dvayi. You remember this verse? No jane, "What kind of nectar it is there in these two words, Krs-na?"

Conversations with George Harrision July 26, 76 London

--------

Our, the George Harrison, the famous Beatle, he is supplying beads and bags to his friends: "Chant Hare Krishna." And he has written in his record that "Anyone who is friend of Krishna, I am his friend." SP, NOD, Bombay India, 1973

----

Devotee (5): Just like in the Krishna book it says anyone who reads this, he will become a devotee.

Prabhupada: Yes, that's a fact. Anyone who reads that book, he will become Vaisnava.

Devotee (5): And a year ago in a mall in Pittsburg, because I stay at the Pittsburg temple, I gave a big Krishna book to a...

PrabhupAda: George has become?

Tripurari: Pardon?

Prabhupada: George, George Harrison.

Tripurari: George Harrison?

PrabhupAda: He has become a devotee of Krishna.

Tripurari: He has?

Devotee (1): He's living in the temple?

Prabhupada: No. He, not temple, but he chants always. He is keeping one Jagannatha within the bead. He showed me: that "I have put..." He saw me in Vrindavana.” Srila Prabhupada Room Conversation with Tripurari, Atlanta, March 2, 1975

----

”Regarding the record you recorded with Mr. Harrison, it is very much encouraging because a record issued by the Beatles will have immediate great market, and we want only that this Hare Krishna chanting is participated in by many millions of people.” SP letter to Mukunda, July 28, 1969 in LA.

(ME: So who that criticizes George can say they can get millions to chant?! He knew what he was doing and it did not go unrewarded.)

Haridhama,

Thank you, tho I am still in the middle of looking for more to post. lol Well, figured I might as well do it all at once cuz I need to run off soon to do some work online.

If you get the opportunity to speak with Aukunsha that would prove to be quite an interesting conversation. If you do, let us know what transpired. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

"DO we have to make everything a big deal"

Good point. LOL

Must rush off to put up a few more quotes, then on to work!

A STORY ABOUT GEORGE AND SRILA PRABHUPADA

by Nanda Kumar Das

Hare Krishna Prabhus,

Please accept my humble obeisances. All glories to Srila Prabhupad. All glories to Bhakta George Harrison, who is very dear to His Divine Grace.

I would like to share a story about their connection on one occasion in London. I was traveling with Srila Prabhupad, as well as Syamasundar Das and Pradyumna Das, in 1972 (I have a poor memory for dates. I believe this was the year). Syamasundar was instrumental in connecting George with Srila Prabhupad and our movement and had a lot of association with him. They were close friends.

I was in the secretary's office, which was more like a large closet off of Prabhupad's quarters, typing letters, when a head popped in the door, and in a very British accent, someone said, "Hello, is Syamasundar here?"

I looked over and said that he was out and would be back later. I went back to my typing and then did a double take, as it was George. I got up and went over to him and said that I would tell Prabhupad that he was here.

He said, very humbly, "No, no, I don't want to bother him."

I assured him that it would not be a bother, and I went into Prabhupad's room to tell him that he was there. Prabhupad immediately said, "Oh! Have him come in."

I went back out and told George that he wanted to see him. He was removing his socks and looked over at me and said, "I get so nervous when I am around His Divine Grace."

I told him that I felt the same way. He had just shaved his beard and cut his hair back to a Beatle's style, and he said, "I just got my hair cut to see Prabhupad." He was so humble and unassuming. It was like being around a great devotee. It was being around a great devotee.

He went into the room and closed the door. I could not stay outside, I had to go in and see the exchange. I opened the door, and George was doing full dandavats and offering both prayers to Prabhupad, with perfect pronunciation. Prabhupad had an ear-to-ear smile. George got up and sat back by the door.

Prabhupad said "Come in, come in" and George edged forward towards Prabhupad's desk, very shy and respectful. Prabhupad said "No, here, here" and patted the asana he was sitting on. George came around his desk to the edge of his asana, and Prabhupad reached out and pulled him into his chest, hugging him, laughing, messing up his hair, and saying, "It is so good to see you. How is Patty?"

They had a wonderful conversation, where at one point George asked him if he should move into the temple and shave his head. I believe he would have if Prabhupad had said yes. But Prabhupad said emphatically "No! You have a great gift for the world in your music. Just continue your music and Krishna will be greatly pleased and He will bless you." Then he said "I will give you some ideas for your songs" and he got out Srila Bhaktivinode's Songbook and went over a number of the songs, reciting the translations for George.

It was soon after this that he wrote "My Sweet Lord." George came daily for a week, along with Ravi Shankar, to have Prabhupad's darsan in the afternoon. Ravi Shankar is a Bengali, so he and Prabhupad talked and laughed together as Bengalis.

Of course, Srila Prabhupad's remnants were always a transcendental treasure for all the devotees, and I was blessed to be able to distribute them after His meals. During this week, when I would take the plates away, many of the temple matajis would crowd around, asking "Could I have some of George's remnants, please?"

I have remembered this story so many times over the years, with joy and great respect for Bhakta George. He is truly a humble devotee and a great man. I am currently living on Maui, where George had a home, and the stories from the local people are all good. He spread goodness wherever he went. I am greatly honored to have met him on that occasion, and I send him my love. There is no doubt in my mind about where he is now. I hope to see him again.

Offered to the Vaishnavas with love and respect.

Your servant,

Nanda Kumar Das

----------

MEMORIES OF GEORGE HARRISON - Editorial, Dec 1 02 (VNN)

By Shymasundara Dasa

EDITORIAL, Dec 4 (VNN) — The following memories of George Harrison by Shyamasundar dasa were recorded in Vrndavana, India in November of 1999. They were part of Shyamasundar's memories of Srila Prabhupada who obviously had a great influence on George's life:

Prabhupada treated George like an old, old, friend. (Tears up) I spent some time with George this summer. I'm talking 1999, now. And George has reached a very high level of spiritual development, I am happy to say. He chants Hare Krishna every day. And he is totally serene and he has accepted life as it is. He has actually achieved a much higher level of self-realization that I can ever hope to achieve. He is peaceful and serene to a degree that is rare in a person, and at such a young age. Same age as I am. Prabhupada benefited him so mcuh I mean he knew the buttons to push and not to push because of their natural hesitancy to have anything public to do with Prabhupada because they would see us then as just going after their money or their fame and not giving them the real thing. So I tried and Prabhupada, by his example, showed me the way to treat them is like this; Always just keep giving them stuff. Never ask them for anything.

Although one time, Prabhupada did call me into his room and said, You know we only have one book. We have Bhagavad-gita, that's it. And maybe there was Nectar of Devotion. He said, Krishna Book has been finished for some time and I got news today that it is ready for publication. How can we publish? We need this book. He said, I want you to go and ask George for the money for this book. So, then I said, Aww, no, Prabhupada. You know the reason that we are this far with George, and he has helped us so much to date is that I've never asked him for anything. I always wait until he offers. And Prabhupada says, Yes, but we really need this. And I go, Well, how much is it? He said, Nineteen thousand dollars. In those days that was like saying a hundred thousand dollars. Whew. So I said, I don't really think it is a good idea, Prabhupada. And he said, Yes, yes it is. You'll see. Krishna will help you. Watch this. So the next day we had made arrangements to go look at marble. George had said that he would donate a new slab of marble for the altar.

To help us select this marble, he had called on his friend, David Wynn, who is the sculptor laureate of England, a very famous sculptor who had designed the coinage and who had done the famous busts of Queen Elizabeth and the Beatles, too. And so we went with David Wynn to the marble yards and afterwards we went to David Wynn's house for dinner. And all this time I was trying to screw up my courage. Because I had one mission that day, How am I going to ask George for this money? Here he has given us this three or four thousand pound slab of marble. How can I ask him for something more on top of that today? So we had dinner and we were all finished eating and it was getting late at night, it was dark. And it was a long ways from where I had to go in London. And George had to go all the way out someplace in the suburbs. So, finally I just did it. I said, George . . . (I made Prabhupada the bad guy.) Srila Prabhupada asked me to ask you if you would donate money to print Krishna Book. And I explained what Krishna Book was. And his face just got increasingly got grimmer and grimmer.

And I could see this whole thing passing through his face thinking, Oh man, they are just another one of these groups. Here it comes. Then the room went quiet for a moment while he thought about it and fixed me with this really belligerent stare. And suddenly all the lights in the house went out! And BWAM! This bolt of lighting hit the house. True story. The whole house shook. The sound and the light were simultaneous. (Laughs) And we sat in silence for some minutes after that, stunned. The lights came back on and I looked over at George and he had this huge grin on his face and he said, Well, how much is it then? (Laughs) And I told him and he said, Well, what can I do after that? (Laughs) And he came the next day and talked to Prabhupada about it.

YS

Shymasundara

============

FROM BOOK, CHANT and be HAPPY:

Mukunda: In one of his books, Prabhupada said that your sincere service was better than some people who had delved more deeply into Krishna consciousness but could not maintain that level of commitment. How did you feel about this?

George: Very wonderful, really. I mean it really gave me hope, because as they say, even one moment in the company of a divine person, Krishna's pure devotee, can help a tremendous amount.

And I think Prabhupada was really pleased at the idea that somebody from outside of the temple was helping to get the album made. Just the fact that he was pleased was encouraging to me. I knew he liked "The Hare Krishna Mantra" record, and he asked the devotees to play that song "Govinda." They still play it, don't they?

Mukunda: Every temple has a recording of it, and we play it each morning when the devotees assemble before the altar, before kirtana. It's an ISKCON institution, you might say.

George: And if I didn't get feedback from Prabhupada on my songs about Krishna or the philosophy, I'd get it from the devotees. That's all the encouragement I needed really. It just seemed that anything spiritual I did, either through songs, or helping with publishing the books, or whatever, really pleased him. The song I wrote, "Living in the Material World," as I wrote in I, Me, Mine, was influenced by Shrila Prabhupada. He's the one who explained to me how we're not these physical bodies. We just happen to be in them.

Like I said in the song, this place's not really what's happening. We don't belong here, but in the spiritual sky:

As l'm fated for the material world

Get frustrated in the material world

Senses never gratified

Only swelling like a tide

That could drown me in the material world

The whole point to being here, really, is to figure a way to get out.

That was the thing about Prabhupada, you see. He didn't just talk about loving Krishna and getting out of this place, but he was the perfect example. He talked about always chanting, and he was always chanting. I think that that in itself was perhaps the most encouraging thing for me. It was enough to make me try harder, to be just a little bit better. He was a perfect example of everything he preached.

=================

DEVOTEE POSTS:

I just saw George Harrison on one day, at the reunion of Prabhupada's devotees at Bhaktivedanta Manor just before the Prabhupada Centennial celebrations. He arrived very discreetly and with no publicity, many people didn't even notice him, a humble man in his jeans and denim jacket. I can't claim any special power of perception, I had been asked to take a few photos (without George knowing or being disturbed) so I was lucky. He embraced his old friends very warmly- Mukunda Maharaj, Symasundara prabhu and others. The deep friendship was obvious.

The other things I remember are those things I heard in class shortly afterwards: we heard how some devotees ha not been comfortable that George never took Diksha or was not "fixed up". Srila Prabhupada told them that George already has a spiritual name, he is Hari son. The other thing I remember hearing is that Srila Prabhupada said that George had given Krishna a home in the material world, and that Krishna will give George a home in the spiritual world. – Julian Hughes

-------

(ME: This is a letter from my godsister who lives only 6 – 8 miles away from George Harrisions home in England.)

I was very moved when reading the devotee's letter in the previous Inspiration Newsletter about the amazing effect that "My Sweet Lord" had on her at a young age. It was second time around for me - in my mid-thirties, I became addicted to listening to this recording I had made earlier, and also danced and sang and felt similar symptoms. This led on to feeling curious about 'who or what was Krsna?' and an ever-increasing search for the "Truth". Within about 6-7 years I found that Truth in the teachings of Srila Prabhupada and haven't looked back since. So I would like to express my gratitude to George Hari -son, as I owe him an eternal debt. I actually narrowly missed seeing George once at Bhaktivedanta Manor at a Prabhupada Reunion Festival in the early '90's, at which a few of the 'original' Prabhupada disciples attended. George was coming to join in kirtana with some of the devotees during the afternoon there, and had specifically requested 'no publicity'. However, we had already pre-arranged to go to London in the afternoon by coach from the Manor for a big Harinama around London. This was to also include halting the procession briefly at the premises of the original temple - set up during Srila Prabhupada's time - in Bury Place, where we threw flower petals on the doorstep. It was a great Harinama, but I remember feeling quite torn at the time, and sad that I had missed an opportunity to see, or even meet with this great devotee-celebrity.

Another short item regarding him, is from back at the time of the attack on his life a few years ago, when I saw an interview on television news with some of the residents of Henley-on-Thames (his local town), speaking affectionately about him. They recalled the time prior to the death of John Lennon, when George would be seen frequently in the town, dropping in at the shops and chatting with people quite openly. But sadly after John's untimely death, he became quite reclusive and was rarely seen.

Ys,

Sdd

------

I would like to offer my respects to George Harrison, who was more than instrumental in bringing me to Krsna Consciousness. I first heard the Radha Krsna Temple album in the late 60s. when it went to the top of the hit parade in England. I saw his Krsna Books presented to Srila Prabhupada the night they came off the press in Kensington Town Hall, London in 1970. I bought his album ' Living in the material world' (which really finished me off and thats when I went to the Bhaktivedanta Manor and surrendered to Srila Prabhupada at that point.

I was always struck by George's humility. I remember him prostating himself in full dandavats to his music guru Ravi Shankar in the Royal Albert Hall in front of the full house. I would admit that when he left us last week I felt as overwhelmed as when Srila Prabhupada left the planet. I think this is simply because there are so few souls one truly feels are an ally. It was my experience that George Harrisons affinity for Krsna and his musical devotion to the transcendental path of Krsna consciousness opened and moved my heart and continues to do so . In that regard I offer my full respects. It is my hope that his wife and son can remain in the privacy of the mood of George.

With respects and eternal gratitude,

Nandapatni devi dasi

--------

25 Jan 2002 Friday 1830 hrs Ottawa, Canada

Our humble obeisances to Lord Krishna, Shrila Prabhupad Guru Maharaj and all vaishnava devotees of the Lord in His Planet Earth.

George Harrison (geo-geo Hari's Son) (geo means long life in Hindi) So His name is Long Live Harrison!

He has shown a way to the population in the Planet Earth the meaning of Maha Mantra and Effect and Cause of Chanting the Maha Mantra. The inner meaning of his songs are that "LOVE ONE ANOTHER LOVE ONE ANOTHERLOVE ONE ANOTHER" His songs cleansed and cleared the dust, debris, and darkness of the ever wandering mind nd created a confortable condition to the mind to CHANT AND BE HAPPY. His songs are no doubt in English but the inner meaning is only to educate the public to politely accept the words and work for eventual returns of CHANTING.

Let everyone take up the weapon of Words "Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare" and second after second Chance – Hare Krishna

Mani

---

George has inspired many to be associated with the Krishna Conciousness Movement. It is sad to see George leave us so young. As we know, it is Krishna who is the cause of all causes. May George's sole rest in peace in the eternal abode of Krishna. – Rothin Chowdhury

------

Haribol. Don't mean to wear out my welcome, but take a look at the following 3 albums, do you remember these ??

Goddess of Fortune: "Prod by George Harrison, Bal Eng Ken Scott, Rec in London, England, Orch Arrangements on Govinda by John Barlam, ....."

Special Issue: Produced by George Harrison"

--- Murari: "Murari Sevaka, Adore Adore Ye All, Hard Struggle For Existence, The Kingdom of God Without God, Devotee of the Lord, .... In Praise of the Simple life" - "special thanks to George Harrison for his contributions to Iskcon projects"

--- Everything You see is Me, RASA, "Special thanks to George Harrison, Alice Coltrane, Turiya Sangit Ananda, Stevie Wonder and Neil Diamond for their contributions to ISKCON projects --- Get the picture ??????????? (Thanks George) – Charlile Grandgent

-----

Bhakta George Harrison -- KI JAI!

George was instrumental in helping devotees establish Krishna Consciousness in England. He arranged the recording of some highly successful and classic records around 1970, providing huge publicity for Hare Krishna and an income for the early devotees such as his great friend Mukunda Swami. He then donated his stately home, now known as Bhaktivedanta Manor, one of ISKCON's main international cenetrs.

Srila Prabhupada only ever had praise to give of George, and dissuaded him from joining the movement full-time, saying that putting Krishna into his music and providing an example of a famous Krishna-conscious musician was the best service he could render to Krishna.

Bhakta George Harrison Ki Jai!

Your servant,

Arjunanatha dasa

-----

A nice anecdote came from Peter Sisson's a news reader who had been at school with George and frequently met up with him over the years. One time he said that when the ITV tv studios were near Oxford Street in London the Hare Krsna Temple was close by, and one day he came down into the foyer to find George in there surrounded by 'Hare Krsnas'.

George said something like 'Hey Peter, I've got some news headlines for you today!'

Peter: 'Oh great, we can always use that! So what are they?'

George: 'Peace!'

Peter: 'Right, and what else?'

George 'Just peace'.

Peter: 'Well we do need a little more than that to go on with'.

To which George just said 'Peace!' and left the building with the Hare Krsna's 'all banging their tambourines' as they went up the road.

Your Servant,

Sdd (England)

------

Great Humility - by Ambarisa dasa (Alfred Ford - Ford Motor cars)

I met George Harrison only once. We went through the F.A.T.E. museum in L.A, then sat on the floor eating samosas. I remember thinking, here is such a famous man, eating on the floor with great humility. I was originally attracted to Krishna Consciousness through the Radha Krishna album, which I had purchased from my college record store. I was attracted by the picture of the deities, but I bought the album because it said "Produced by George Harrison." I am sure there are many stories like mine. Sriman George was a humble and blessed instrument of Srila Prabhupada, and his passing is a great loss for the world. – Ambarisa dasa

----

Thank You George Harrison

For the inspiration you have given me and countless others over the years by the example of spirituality in action in your own life I want to thank you. Even though we never met, I want to thank you for all you have done to help ignite the Krishna movement in the West, and for making me want to check out this thing called "Hare Krishna." I know that in this life you were very dear to Srila Prabhupada and the devotees. Thank you for your inspiration and example. Hare Krishna George. Keep dancing in the LIGHT!

Bhakta Tim Hitchner.

Vancouver B.C.

----

I love George Harrison. Before I started associating with the temple devotees in 1981, I was benefited by George's association through his records. His message led me to the Krishna Consciousness movement. I remember laying on my bed with the headphones up high and psychedlic lights flashing around me. And when I put on All Things Must Pass or Living in the Material World what did I hear?:

"From the spiritual sky, such sweet memories have I...

To the spiritual sky I pray... how I pray that I won't get lost or go astray while I'm living in the material world."

Or how about this one:

"We all move around with objectives in mind

To become rich or famous with our reputations signed

But the few who can reach this coveted slot

To escape old age creeping through the body like a rot"

For me it was a spiritual awakening, and thus I consider George a kind of guru, to the extent that he pointed the way to the devotees, Prabhupada and Krishna. I have continued to draw inspiration from him – Gargamuni dasa

========

ME: Ok, so one point is, I don't want anyone to make the same mistake I did of underestimating who George is, and in some cases worse opinions are being voiced. So lets all avoid the bad karma of fault finding with someone who has THIS much going on for him. When in doubt, find out the facts first before forming opinions and posting them. Hope this helped someone out there.

That means that Sri Krsna held George close.

It is very offensive to try to ridicule George.

We do not know the name of these guests, but they should be assured that Krsna does. If I knew the name I would never read another word they write.

gHari

That means that Sri Krsna held George close.

I hadn't thought of it that way. What a good point!!!

It is very offensive to try to ridicule George.

We do not know the name of these guests, but they should be assured that Krsna does. If I knew the name I would never read another word they write.

Yes, but lets first give them a chance. They had not read all we had access to about George, all the good and transcendental things he did, but only read about the pock mark on the Moon (faults). After they take a look at the above quotes, hopefully they will have a change of heart (toward the positive). However if not, I'm with you! It would be known Vaisnava aparadha at that point.

well after seeing all the replys from us they havent responded.

That shows something doesnt it?

If the tickets to her show arent expensive then I will go see Aukunshya.

What a nice name. She looks preety too.

Hare Krsna

Haridham

"well after seeing all the replys from us they havent responded.

That shows something doesnt it?"

Sometimes. But what I have seen on these boards is that when they are defeated, they just get quiet, but do not necessarily change their mind. So their silence isn't automatically surrender. Not that they didn't have a change of heart, just that we wont know who did, and who did not, until they say so.

"If the tickets to her show arent expensive then I will go see Aukunshya.

What a nice name. She looks preety too."

Yes, she's pretty. And you're married. lol

Well, you cant teach old dogs new tricks.

No matter how many times you throw a stick the dog will always go get it. It doesnt have to intelligence to realise that bring the stick back and going to get it a hundred times has no value.

Meaning, they will try again, and again again but wont accept what is meant to be accepted.

Oh and i know I am married, thanks for reminding me though.