IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
livingentity

Meaning of Srila

Rate this topic

Nayana-ranjana Das

"Sri" is basically a noun and is also used as an adjective.

According to Sanskrit dictionary, "Sri" as a noun, means Srimati Radharani, Laksmidevi, wealth, opulence, beauty, fame, knowledge, strength, any virtue or excellence, etc.

Also "Sri" as an adjective means splendid, radiant, adorning (decorated) etc.

So when "Sri" is used for Visnu-tattva, it can be taken both as a noun and an adjective.

But whenever it is used for the jiva-tattva, it is used as an adjective.

"Srila" is an adjective of the noun "sri."

"Sri-la" means one who possesses wealth (i.e rich), opulence, beauty, etc. "Sri" also means the three Vedas. So "srila" means learned personality who knows the three Vedas.

As "sri" means Srimati Radharani, "srila" means one who possesses the lotus feet of Srimati Radharani is his heart.

As "sri" is the name of one of the six ragas or musical modes (masculine), "srila" means expertise in music, especially in the "Sri" raga.

Srila Prabhupada

So "srila" means learned personality who knows the three Vedas.

"srila" means one who possesses the lotus feet of Srimati Radharani is his heart.

"srila" means expertise in music, especially in the "Sri" raga.

I found these in the Glossary of the Vadabase:<blockquote>SrIla--a title indicating possession of exceptional spiritual qualities. The most beautiful (spiritual) person.

SrI--the energy of Godhead that maintains the cosmic manifestation; See also: SrIla

Sri (sree, shree, shri)--honorific prefix, to be used before the Deities name.</blockquote>

Someone working a crossword puzzle asked me for a three letter sanskrit word meaning Mister in India. SRI fit into the spaces, but only knowing Sri Caitanya and Sri Krsna I said it still could be the answer since Westerners know very little about India. I sure hope we are not talking "Mister" as this term of respect for males.

Guest guest

Why the Feet of Sri Guru

Are Compared to a Lotus

By Sri Srimad Gour Govinda Swami Maharaja

One should understand what is sri-guru-carana-padma. The words "sri-guru" are very significant. "Sri" means sobha, beauty; sampada, transcendental wealth, or asset; and srestha, the topmost. "Sri-guru" means that guru who is endowed with sri, with prema-bhakti. The word "sri" is used because there is no question of Sri Guru disappearing or not being manifest. It is only applicable to a guru who is eternally manifest. Otherwise such a word would not be used.

Guest guest

<<Why the Feet of Sri Guru

Are Compared to a Lotus>>

in vedic culture lotus is very pure and beautiful.

it is called pankaja, meaning born from mud.

lotus produces dharmic mood in hindus.

spiritual giants can grow even from any low social conditions also. this means god or haven is no one's monopoly. just as sky or air is for all, sanatana dharma or krishna is for all.

a bit of side points.

jai sri krishna!

Guest guest

I thought Sri (and not just Srila) meant "Beautiful." Am I mistaken? Because while I know it is in referrence to Rahdarani, when preaching to Christians or similar (those who are open minded), sometimes I use the word "Sri" Krishna instead of Radha Krishna because on the one hand, they can only accept God as One (not understanding that They originally were!), but on the other, I don't want to leave Radharani out! So I sneak her in when talking to them by saying "Lord Sri Krishna." So, can Sri 'also' mean beautiful?