IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
livingentity

yes, we have no bananas

Rate this topic

Bananas' Days May Be Numbered

LONDON (Reuters) - It is one of the world's favorite fruits, but the banana hasn't had sex in years and its days may be are numbered.

Without scientific help the sterile, seedless fruit could disappear with 10 years, according to a Belgian plant pathologist.

Emile Frison, the head of the International Network for the Improvement of Banana and Plantain in Monpellier, France, said the fruit lacks the genetic diversity to fight off diseases and pests that are plaguing banana plantations and only biotechnology and genetic manipulation may be able to save it.

"Frison sees it as the only hope for the banana," New Scientist said on Wednesday.

Without assistance banana production could drop and mark the beginning of the end of the fruit.

"We may even see the extinction of the banana as both a lifesaver for hungry and impoverished Africans and as the most popular product on the world's supermarket shelves," the magazine added.

So many banana-bhajans come to mind. I just heard this probable banana demise report. Cavendish seedless Bananas r threatened. Anyone recall those original Chiquita Banana commercials wherein lyrics advise us: "Bananas grow so very near to the equator, so never ever store them in your refrigerator.."

I agree that it is not funny. Bananas are about the only fruit I eat anymore and have always been a fav of mine.

They can't be beat sliced into a bowl of fresh yogurt and sprinkled with some spices like ginger etc. For variety add some shredded coconut to the mixture.

Offer to Lord Krishna. Makes a nice summertime breakfast.

there are many species of bananas in the world which implies substantial genetic diversity. the commercially grown hybrid varieties may come and go (after all, this is Kali yuga and growing food is supposed to get more and more difficult) but I would not worry too much about banana shortage crisis in the near future /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Guest guest

Maybe only the Cavendish species. But I don't believe it will disappear. In my country, you will find the different species of banana, from the smallest "princess finger" , to the ones used for cooking, the green, yellow, red and purple....and you will be drowned by our delicious Banana Ketchup!!!!

Guest guest

what do you mean...I heard that by next year we will have no bananas...and really I am glad....I never liked pealing them.....