IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Jaya Radhe d.d Disappearance...

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hare Krishna,

Please accept my obeisances, all glories to Srila Prabhupada.

I’m deeply saddened to hear that our godsister, Jaya Radhe, has left her body. She’s one of the sweetest devotees and most sincere disciples of Srila Prabhupada I’ve known. She made numerous uplifting posts to the forum. I think the best way we can remember her right now, is to read some of her posts and stories, some of the best of which I’ve preserved in the Srila Prabhupada website at-

www.geocities.com/visoka123/visoka/VCN/VNC.htm

Her writings can be found in the “Offerings to Srila Prabhupada” section, and the “Sankirtan stories” section, and the “storytelling” section. You can go to these pages, and press Control F, and type ‘Jayaradhe’ for search function, to find her writings there. There is one post, #2317, of which I know of, in VC, you can find and read. When devotees find some of her posts on VC, please send us the post #’s so we can go there and read.

The best we can feel for her now, and have her good memory, is to read her wonderful writings, and be happy that she is in the protection of Srila Prabhupada and Lord Krishna right now,

Ys visoka dasa

August 13, 2001

Dear Srila Prabhupada,

Please accept my fallen obeisances at your lotus feet. All glories to your divine grace, freely benedicting anyone, despite material designation or qualification, with the greatest gift that could ever be given.

You gave your followers a full-hearted glimpse into the world of harmony, practicable even for those of us extremely conditioned by lifetimes of dysfunctional, hurtful treatments by self and others. When we understand and follow your lead we actually experience the sublime, the world of devotion, where everyone is equal, and united in their equal desires to practice devotional service.

I personally felt that harmony most when you were still on the planet. Though your physical presence is not necessary in order to practice Krsna consciousness, for the true Vaisnava remains alive in sound, concoctions and deviations were expediently corrected when brought to your attention, and while there really should be no difference between then and now, well, there is. Many devotees are now concerned that there is an urgency to see to it that your ways are taught and practiced, for many have witnessed the changes and dilutions that have taken place since your physical departure, and much more could be lost in another generation or so. It may be a painful, thankless task, but any devotee who understands your perfect plan and system for harmony is duty bound to point out, whenever and wherever possible, when even the slightest deviation from those teachings is observed. In turn, the devotees give substantially more importance to seeing that your desires are served than they do to the ego which drops away when those orders are carried out.

Today I feel the urgency of reminder each other of how unified and inspired we are when your formula for peace is followed. I thank you for introducing me to the story of the spider who helped the great monkeys build the bridge to Sri Lanka. He or she is an acharya of humble devotional service.

A grave deviation which has infected your perfect society since its inception came in the form of the misconception of the true quality and equality of devotional service, and the subsequent minimalization of the glories of devotional service. Though you stated that when Krsna is there Lakshmi is there, that when one serves Krsna all his or her needs, both spiritual and material, are met, money drives were created, and emphasis was put on glorifying those who brought back the most. You taught your disciples to value humility as an integral part of being a devotee and chanting Hare Krsna. So boosting the ego of any devotee is a violence. Working behind the scenes is the perfect place for any devotee, and helps keep his or her service more intimately between self and Krsna. While it is wonderful and natural to appreciate devotional services, the devotees really should not be publicly singled out for glorification. Rather, together we should try our best to keep you and Krsna at the center of glorification. Service is its own reward. I am simply nostalgic for a time when wrapped gifts were for Krsna on his birthday, and when devotional service was not mundanely measured. It is my understanding that George Harrison only ever wanted to be just one of the devotees, and certainly it is not for anyone to judge that the millions he gave has been greater service than the one who keeps the devotees' toilets clean.

Srila Prabhupada, I truly believe, with all the heart I can muster, that what pleases you most is when the simplicity of a family of devotees, where all are humble servants, is in effect. I wish to be able to thank you by offering you my desire for your mission, as you have demonstrated it, to be strenuously revived, in full, wherever it has been deviated from. I wish for all to feel the mood of Bhakti you showed us. I glimpsed that world of harmony and bliss when I played alongside devotees decorating Subhadra's Ratha cart a couple of weeks ago. Such enthusiasm. I sensed distinct harmony created by each person's feeling so fortunate to be there, and my heart swelled in the company of such souls and to feel your mood so alive. I glimpse that same world in the temple decorations. Someone put so much Bhakti into that. I see your world when one of your oldest sanyasi disciples emphasizes the chanting of the mahamantra in kirtan, and calls forth some of the old tunes, which are timeless and never hackneyed. I see it in the older devotee mopping the kitchen floor.

Oh, I saw it so much last night in the gently sober faces of the two devotees who placed Sri Sri Radha Gokulananda's silver shoes on the heads of the devotees. And I saw it in the equally peaceful and reverent face of my brother, whose eyes never left the proceedings while he awaited his chance to bow his head and receive such rare and causeless mercy.

Your great gift of devotional service is apparent in these little things, in these small, natural, and humble acts, where, at least in those moments, there exists a "competitionless society with God in the center".

May we each carry on or reinstate your legacy, in whatever capacity we are able, whether in the big temple or in our homes hundreds of miles away, and see your message spread in its pure undiluted way, far and wide.

All glories, all glories, all glories to you, Srila Prabhupada!

With all the love I can muster,

your aspiring servant,

Jayaradhe dasi

--

Radhastami Festival in Berkeley

by Jayaradhe dasi

Hare Krsna brothers and sisters,

I have said a few times I would describe the festivals I have been too but it almost seems to be a case of "you had to be there" and I do not know if I can give sufficient description, as Locanananda prabhu does in sharing the Times Square harinams, or Dhamaghosa does in describing the Seattle programs (and where is Makhancora, who also used to write so wonderfully about these special days?). But maybe I will try a little, I feel I owe some reciprocation as I read here with relish but say so little myself.

I must say I am impressed with New Jagannath Puri, the Berkeley temple. They put so much into the daily puja, and then so much more into the festivals, and with such joy and enthusiasm, that it really does atound me how they keep it up. The decorations in that large and high-vaulted temple room are elaborate, and I was lucky enough to be able to make as many garlands as I wanted, to decorate the gorgeous swing that hangs from that ceiling. Tasteful white streamers and thin colourful streamers hung from chandelier to the faux balconies, and helium-fed giant metallic parrots were tied to these streamers, though one escaped of its own accord during a particularly ecstatic kirtan on the morning of Radhastami and remains to this day with its head at the ceiling, maybe thinking to get to the higher realm. The abhiseka arch was a joy to watch the assembly of, with magical little white lights and loads of asparagus fern and palm fronds and large deciduous branches. A woman named Carol created beautiful rings of flowers and greenery for this gazebo, as well as many many huge and wonderful vases for the temple room. This temple uses a lot of ginger flowers which look like the crests of some exotic birds. The Deities looked absolutely wonderful this day, and the abhiseka went on for a very long time, as there were so many substances to offer. At this point in the day the temple wasn't as crowded as later, so we got to go back and pour even more conches full of mango, or banana, or yogurt, rose water, etc., on the beautiful forms of Sri Sri Radha Gokulananda, Who look absolutely sweet in Their simple bathing robes, with no crowns, and Who shine with kindness in allowing us to perform such intimate service. Sri Gokulanandaji has a very attractive topknot which is not normally seen, due to His crowns and turbans.

A word about the kirtans. There were beautiful singers and much chanting of the mahamantra, along with Radhe Jaya Jaya Madhava Dayite, and other songs to Srimate Radharani. These kirtans and melodies had a way of sweeping one along with them, so that chanting felt natural and flowing as one gazed at the Divine Forms, and felt Their Causeless Mercy.

After the abhiseka the Deities were again dressed, and I must say I never saw Them look more beautiful or sweet than They looked then. Radharani had small perfect flat kind of pink roses framing her face, and a line of rhinestones inside that arch, in the depths of Her hair, and She looked all cuddled up with elaborate clothing and jewels and flowers. I felt Her sweet kindness more than ever before, as if She mercifuly made it easier to perceive this, just as many reported feeling the particularly personal reciprocation of Srila Prabhupada during his last visit to Bhaktivedanta Manor in August 1977. Sri Gokulananda also looked especially sweet, and seemed to take pleasure in giving Radharani frontstage. Forgive me if that sounds sahajiya. I can only relate my feelings at the time. I do not claim them to be real. But because they are in relation to The Lord, I relish them all the same, and await the day when I will feel more than the shadow or show of attachments.

The afternoon feast was marvelous, as was the evening one which was cooked by the Hare Krsna Youth (more about them in another post). Actually I didn't have the second feast, but the pappadums were great, and I know from other feasts that these young people know how to cook.

After the first feast the abhiseka commenced, and continued for a good hour or so. People lined up in eagerness to get a chance to swing these Deities. One old woman did not let go of the rope so quickly, and had the most beautiful smile on her face as she sang and swung the Deities.

The morning and evening festivals can be seen on video, which were recorded by Radhika devi dasi, and given for a very small charge. If anyone is interested, I can check and see if she has been able to produce more (I got the only one so far, to take back with me to my isolated situation) and hook you up with her. This video is ecstatic I can tell you. You will have to bear with me in my silly dance steps, when I thought she was videoing my feet as I sat there, and tried to oblige the artistic effort by making them move (which drew the camera in for a closeup).

Well, that's all for now, and I will sooon be back to talk of the Hare Krsna Youth, who I have felt much encouragement, for the sake of the future of Srila Prabhupada's mission, to have had the fortune of associating with.

Sri Sri Radha Gokulananda ki jai!

Srila Prabhupada ki jai!

and all glories to the assembled devotees!

your sister,

Jayaradhe

Over the past 5 years, we read so many of JayaRadhe's posts here & formerly at VNN Forums. She was perhaps our dearest cyberspace godsister. Sounds funny, yet nonetheless true. Devotees r so rare. Devotees who post --- rarer still. Devotees who post sincerely, as she always did... so few & so far between, rarest of all. We'll be seeing her amidst higher realms soon enough.

No doubt she's Visnu-pAdAya KRSNa-preSThAya, following in her namesake's footsteps, so she's definitely more properly engaged in a healthier body wherever God has chosen to take her next.

I noticed on the Jayaradhe Tribute Page that Jayaradhe was initiated in San Francisco in 1972. I checked the online Disciple Database and saw 2 devotees initiated by Srila Prabhupada named Jayaradhe, but none were from San Francisco. It doesn't appear that she's even listed in the Database. Of the two Jayaradhe's mentioned, one was from France, (almost assuredly not "our" Jayaradhe), and the other from Detroit (I think that one was the wife of Yasomatinandana dasa, although I could be wrong.) Also, I spent some time looking up other devotees who I once knew from the "good old days" and many were missing. And many of the listings had mistakes in the date of initiations. Given that initiated disciples of Srila Prabhupada are getting older and many have lost touch with one another, I was thinking that if anyone has any corrections they would like to make to this disciple database, there is an online form which one can fill out and send in needed corrections and updates. In another 20 or 30 years, it may be too late, as most of Srila Prabhupada's directly initiated disciples will be gone, and with them, their cherished memories. For posterity, I think it would be great if we had a complete list of disciples, as well as an accurate list.

When I first met Jayaradhe, it seems she told me it was later than 1972 but in the early 70's. I have been trying very hard to remember that conversation but it was so long ago. I have also been trying to remember when she was in India - I believe her daughter was only a couple of years old then (she is 18 now). Jayaradhe also spent time at Bhaktivedanta Manor (she spoke to me of George Harrison being there). So if there are any devotees out there who remember her from any of these three places - please fill us in on her service and dates etc. As much info - dates etc as possible would be nice - this way it could be put on the database and the memorial page. Her name is listed there but right now that is all. Any help would be appreciated.

You're right, prabhu, it was Radha Kunda. Thankyou for the correction. Just see how my memory is fading as the years roll by.

I went back and read some more on the Tribute page, and Jayaradhe says that she joined in Minnesota, I believe in 1971. Later, she said she had a Temple President named Govardhana. I think he was a TP at the Detroit Temple for a while. So, if she joined in '71 and later served under Govardhana's leadership, then it may very well be that she was initiated in Detroit, 1972. However, as I pointed out, her Tribute states that she was initiated in San Francisco, while the Disciple Database is saying she was initiated in Detroit. Probably the same Jayaradhe after all, and perhaps it's just a minor detail. Still, it's always nice to obtain precise information in regards to these matters, due to the historical significance of Srila Prabhupada's coming to the West and the ensuing "Hare Krsna Explosion."

Jayaradhe told me that it was in the early 70's in San Francisco that she was initiated by Srila Prabhupada. I am not sure if she ever mentioned to me where she joined up with devotees first.

Does anyone know how to contact the Memorial page people? I tried but it keeps bouncing back undeliverable. I want to find out if the Jaya Radhe listed is actually Jayaradhe. I would also like to ask them when we would be able to post memories of her.

This is why we need the inmemoriam website. It hasn't been updated in a few years. Think of it. If they built up a website that was a permanent documentation of the joy devotees brought into the world, what a great service this would be. 500 years from now, the great-great-great-great.... grandchildren of devotees would be able to read about what other devotees thought of their ancestors and the service they performed. It is really an important service.