IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Schope

Spiritual merit earned?

Rate this topic

Greetings. I would like to know if according to Hindu Religion/philosophy that a person can "earn" spiritual merit as a result of intellectual philosophical searching. As a westerner I am not truly interested in meditation, and I am too caught up in my busy daily life with its responsibilities to do many "good works", though I do try to be kind and helpful to all. I do, and have for some twenty years, chosen to spend much of my free time reading philosophy and theology, which I recognize, is my present form of preferred spirituality/seeking after God. I'm curious if the Hindu traditions address whether this form of seeking has any merit; thanks in advance for any thoughful replies.

Guest guest

Yes.

It all adds up and ultimate result is love of God.Everything has meaning so nothing is insignificant.

Joy

Guest guest

Doing service for others especially the more advanced Suddha Bhaktas is far more beneficial than aquiring knowledge for oneself.

Gnana Sunya Bhakti is calculation free knowledge and it is actually what the ripened fruit of all of the revealed shastras will and if one is sincere, this is what all your knowledge will engage you in. Knowledge of itself is nothing but a heavy burden. But it is better to know Krsna is the Supreme Swayam Bhagavan than to think life comes from dead matter. Better still is to act on that knowledge through pleasing His divine representitives.

Guest guest

Sorry that is:

Gnana Sunya Bhakti is calculation free knowledge and it is actually what the ripened fruit of all of the revealed shastras will point to, and lead a sincere seeker to.

I think the key lies in what you do in between studying philosophy. If the the remaining time is spent in giving, helping, developing love for all and if you have began to see Lord in everything, then I think you may be heading in the right dierction.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

it is said that the spiritual path begins with a yearning. The aspirant is compelled to look for philosophies/ideas that fill the void in his/her life. So the answer is YES, you do earn merit!

Why? Because what you do NOW, will never be lost. In other arenas climbing up the ladder may be accompanied by occasional falls, but on the spiritual ladder the only way is up, never down. So by researching this philosophy you have already progressed up the ladder - that is the merit. But don't stop there - once you have found your philosophy, the one you are most comfortable with, practice it! Because without practicing you cannot progress up the ladder but stay exactly where you are.

Good Luck!