IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

why is life so boring?

Rate this topic

Life isn't boring. Our approach to life is. Krsna is everywhere and within everything. Everywhere He is revealing Himself. The problem is we have been approaching life with an eye to being the central enjoyer. It doesn't work and we become despondent.

Even if one doesn't want to actively serve, still just appreciating the glory of God's creation will keep us in a state of constant amazment and wonder.

The other night listening to the radio I heard this astronomer describing the advantages of the Hubble telescope. He mentioned that when it was focused on an area of so-called black space (areas in space where previously we could detect nothing) the size of a quarter to our naked eyes as we view space, they suddenly could see thousands of galaxies. Upon contemplating this we should become stunned and our hair should stand on end at the revelation of what is only an infitesimal fragment of God's glories.Gita ch. 11

Bored means we have yet to be granted the eyes to see God or even to appreciate him in His universal creation. For that we must pray "Oh Lord of the universe kindly be visible unto me". When we receive divine eyes we will be done with being bored.

I sympathize. I am bored a lot. We need to break through, to the dynamic side, by His grace.

Guest guest

YESSS!!!

All glories to the dynamic side of life. Krsna is that inspiration that comes to our heart from giving.

Boredom is just the lulls not lols, between the waves of inspiration. I guess we have to pray for engagement in service everyday we wake up, lest we fall asleep to the reality that is all around us.

Stay vigilant at every moment and endless opportunities to serve are presenting themselves everywhere.

The difference between us materialists and the devotional sector is that we are just waiting for the environment to give to us, where the devotees are taking the initiative to give to it, never a dull moment in that world.

janmaisvarya-sruta-srIbhir edhamAna-madaH pumAn

naivArhaty abhidhAtuM vai tvAm akincana-gocaram

Bhag 1.8.26 Queen KuntI-devI herein reveals boredom's positive side.

Indeed, boredom aka material exhaustion is an essential qualification for spiritual life.

Problem is, some remain, lurk between anartha-nivRtti and niSTha.

How? By avoiding sAdhusanga and bhajana-kriyA.

Why? Due to lack of sraddhA firm faith.

Once we surpass niSTha onto ruci, Asakti, bhAva.., boredom can find no shelter within our heads or hearts.

ps - please give more detail as to your precise boredom type.

Guest guest

I once questioned this as well as it seems to be there even in the smallest child. "Mommy I'm bored." is a common Saturday morning battlecry.

Once I attended a 7 week mukti yajna at Satyaloka outside of Kollar Gold Fields conducted by Acharya Ananda Giri a direct disciples of Kalki Bhagavan. He went deeply into suffering and the dynamics of suffering.

In that yajna suffering was broken down into 3 parts-physical suffering-which we are all familiar with, psychological suffering which is pretty much what just happens when we do not get our way-its linked with desire (My parent died-I WANTED him to live forever, someone called me stupid-I WANT to be seen as bright. Someone cut me off in traffic I WANTED to go first-like that).

Then there was what he called "the existential suffering of man" or "spiritual suffering" that includes by loneliness, boredom, and a sense of meaninglessness-a feeling of what is the point-it's the sadness or letdown after the realized dream, the day after winning the olympic medal, the suffering that makes it so we cannot go on without goals and dreams and hope.

Boredom is considered to be one of the most difficult sufferings to bear.

So I would reply that your boredom is your suffering- Buddha said it best-"Existence is suffering. Be assured that if not boredom, it would be something else /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

There is more parts of the yajna and boredom as suffering at http://skyboom1.tripod.com/index10.html and explanation of the sutra taught there of suffering as a constant."

Funny-it lessons the boredom if you see how much suffering is in it.

I believe it was Henry David Thoreau that said: "The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation. What is called resignation is confirmed desperation. From the desperate city you go into the desperate country, and have to console yourself with the bravery of minks and muskrats. A stereotyped but unconscious despair is concealed even under what are called the games and amusements of mankind. There is no play in them for this comes after work. But it is a characteristic of wisdom not to do desperate things."

Get up in the morning, go to work, come home, eat a little, go to sleep. Repeat for 40 years. Then retire. Get up, watch Oprah, eat a little, go to sleep. Then die.

Oh what fun. I'm caught in this space where I don't want to serve God but I see that it is hopeless to make elaborate plans in this world. So I use TV as a drug of distraction. But even that is so painfully stupid I have to search for one *good* show out of hundreds.

I need the grace of a higher taste.

I feel that a major reason for boredom in life is that we affect our way of living adversely by listening a lot to what others say.

Suppose that a person wants to make his career in some field. He is really interested in that career. If some people known to him tell him that it is not a good career option and they suggest him some other option, then he does what others say. So, he takes up a kind of job that does not interest him. By the time he realises that he made a wrong decision, it is too late.

I have given an example of blindly following what others say regarding one's career. But this is true with many aspects of one's life.

Deciding one's career, deciding the career of one's children, deciding whether one should stay in one's own country or go abroad, deciding the things that should be bought in one's house-------in all of these and in many others we just do what others say.

I am not saying that it is true with everyone, but most of us do so.

What I consider as really funny is that even for deciding on entertainment, we follow what others say.

Krishna says:

Yastvaatma ratireva syadaatma

triptashcha maanava,

Aaatmanyeva cha santushta,

tasya karyam na vidyate.

Meaning that The person who is satisfied in His own Self (aatmanyeva cha santushta)- he has no work to do. which in turn means that he's never bored.

There's another verse which Shankaracharya says in Bhaja Govindam.

Yogarato va bhogarato va,

Sangarato va sangavihina,

yasya brahmani ramate chittam,

nandati nandati nandatyeva.

If a person wants to enjoy, or leave enjoyment(being bored in mundane terms!!!). If a person is in company of others or devoid of company of others (bored). Only they enjoy the real happiness of life whose mind dwells in the Brahman (in our case it's Sri Krishna!)

There's one more famous verse which Srila Prabhupada always quotes:

Ramante yogina anante,

Satyaanande chidatmani,

Iti Rama padenashu,

Parambrahma abhdiyate.

That is a yogi enjoys(ramante) real pleasure (satyaananda) continuously(anante) from the mind by thinking of God (Rama). Therefore Parabrahman is also called as Rama(Pleasure giver).

So the best way to avert boredom is to actually note that that's the time when mind is peaceful (believe it or not!) and also to use it in the smaranam of Krishna!

Guest guest

Suppose that a person wants to make his career in some field

Lol-which career? Doctor or Engineer?

Dharma

yena kena prakarena...

Career is okay so long u always remember & never forget WHOM?

In one room conversation, in response to so many plans one sisya was presenting to HDG, SP stated:

"Do all nonsense til 50, then take sannyAs."

Neither the bhogi nor the yogi gets bored. Only the one in between.

Meanwhile the rogi's busy telling everyone his ailments. Rogis bore others.

If u chant suddha-nAm u r doing more than the entire West Coast put together.

If u chant nAmAbhAs u at least have the entire East Coast beat.

So how can u be bored? "kIrtanitaH sadA hariH"

If u r not feel humble enough, collect cans around your neighborhood a few hours per week. That bending over to reach down for Laxmi-devI is really great for smashing ahankAra vimuDhAtma...

A nickel saved is a naikAtma earned. Where is he anyway? In Praque?

There's always something to do for Krishna.

If u r ready for the big time, sign up & dive into Messenger Religion, Beliefs Chats.

Plenty of action 24/7

I specially recommend Astrology, Paganism, Religion

Like Batman & Robin on the subtle plane:

Slaam! Baang! Booom! Smaash! Cruush! Swiing & Swaay with Bhakta K.

All 12-15 Religion Chat Rooms r filled with action once u present one point at a time.

Give them time to digest.

Watch how the scroll stop everytime u type in something profound.

Neglect the sexual invitations along the sidelines.

Unless u r longing for AIDS, herpes & the like.

No, but really.

Actually u will have to use all your accumulated KC preaching tact to deal with subreligious individuals & their principles, so I wish u all the best.

M<any will cheer u on. Others make snide remarks.

Never give up preaching pure KC according to audience, time, circumstance.

Hit'em with your best shot.

Guest, your life is boring because you are intelligent. The pig is happy in his stool. An idiot is happy with his beer. A child is happy with his hockey stick.

You are intelligent and cannot be fooled into thinking that this is all there is to life. Be thankful that you are not complacent, for you are now motivated to discover the miraculous life of walking in the Bhagavad-gita.

Like the great guru said: "This world is no place for a gentleman."

Guest guest

Dear Guest,

If you ask me a question 'What makes a car move?' and my answer is 'There is a magical power that is beyond human understanding that makes the car moves', then the excitement ends there and life returns to boredom. If, however, I tell you that an engine makes the car move, you will ask 'what is an engine?' and explore yourself how an engine works. You gain new knowledge and understanding that will be exciting enough to make life interesting.

Similarly, if I tell you that the entire universe and life work on God's order, the excitement ends there. If I tell you that life started on its own on this planet and increasing became more complex over long periods of time without divine intervention, you may begin to wonder how could this happen and explore youself and understand the wonderful way nature works. As Richard Dawkins said 'Science is one of the supreme things that make life worth living'. Read science and you'll be surprise how exciting life is!

Cheers,

Guest guest

Give me Krsna's miracles anyday. The Supreme scientist.

Scientists don't even know who they are.

Let alone how anything works or how to fix it when the monster they create goes out of control.

But convince the ole blind believers that they are the new high priests just long enough to give them a life of ease and the people false hope. Because they won't be around when the next theory is debunked, a generation down the track. Just like the insurance companies, the banks, the multi-nationals, the politicians and the impersonalists, who all rob you blind if we don't pray for sincerity to see through all their nonsense exploitation.

I didnt do it, you should have thought for yourself.

There's plenty to keep us alert and free of boredom in Krsnas' endless wonders.

Krsna is another name for God.

He is considered the Supreme in Vedic Culture.

To understand a little about him Read the book Bagavat Gita As It Is.

Hope that answered something.

Hare Krsna(Praise God or Praise Krsna or even Oh Lord Krsna)

Your Friend Haridham

Boredom is a lack of Krishna consciousness (which is always exciting!!!), and/or maya's attack on us.

If we are a litlte out of it, we may consider running after sense gradification to relieve the boredom, but will use our intelligence to stop ourselves.

If we are way into the muck, we often dont use our intelligence to pull us out of it, which in turn creates more bad karma.

I agree with someone who said boredom is a form of suffering. Yes, and all suffering comes from bad Karma and a lack of Krishna consciousness.

The more enlightened and conscious of Krishna we become, the more we mitigate our bad karma as well as have fun doing it! Whoever said Krishna consciousness shouldn't be fun? Hogwash. :-) Its the most fun, otherwise why would so many teenagers have joined, and continue to join?!

To clarify, spiriutal fun, but not to think we are unable to tap into spiriutal fun. Prabhupada's mercy has made it so we can. Grab it! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

And there's always something to do in Krishna consciousness, if we LOOK for something to do (in KC).