IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Jahnava Nitai Das

Forums have been upgraded

Rate this topic

We have just upgraded the forums software to "UBB Threads". All user information and messages have been imported into the new software. If anyone has any problems, please report them to me: bvashram@

I will change the page layouts to how they looked in the old forums, but it has to be done manually in HTML, so it will take a few days. In the meantime, just tolerate how things look.

Also, I will try to import yesterday's messages here, which have not been posted to the new forums yet.

Please post any plus and minus points you find about the new software so I can make necessary changes.

One thing which I find very good is the speed of the search. It is literally a hundred times faster than the old search.

Also when you click on the search result, it takes you to the particular message within the thread, not to the top of the thread. For multiple paged threads it used to be very hard to find the message you were looking for.

We have just upgraded the forums software to "UBB Threads".

<font color="red"> I appreciate the new presentation of your forums. This reminds me the message boards of hindunet.org

Thanks and God bless you and your staff. </font color>

From the side vertical bar, date when a member registered and how many messages he has posted can be removed. But please let the location be there. I like that.

Now, every message can have some subject. This also can be removed because the complete thread can be given some title but the way we post messages, in most of the cases, we can not give any subject that really represents the content of the message. Even if we give a subject, it will be too generic.

In the page that shows the names of all the forums, the name of the last poster is displayed for some of forums. I think it can be removed. Or, may be that you had some valid reason for doing that. What was the reason?

In the page that shows the names of all the forums, the name of the last poster is displayed for some of forums. I think it can be removed. Or, may be that you had some valid reason for doing that. What was the reason?

Most of everything is just there because it is the default. I am trying to remove anything that clutters or is not useful, but there is no easy way other than editing the programming.

I will try removing the subject lines in replies first, as I also find those annoying.

Also I will reset you registration date to your original registration till I get around to the other suggestions. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

This new version is soo good with lots of new useful options.

I noticed this:

In the profile of users, it is not showing correct email ID.

for ex. for the user 'avinash', it shows 'avinash_sahay@_removemefirst_hotmail.com'

why 'removemefirst' is coming in between?

-Prasad.

In the profile of users, it is not showing correct email ID. for ex. for the user 'avinash', it shows 'avinash_sahay@_removemefirst_hotmail.com' why 'removemefirst' is coming in between?

That's so automated email harvesting programs don't catch your email addresses and send spam.

The no. of registered users who are online and the no. of anonymous users who are online are displayed. It seems that the no. of anonymous users includes the registered users also.

Also I will reset you registration date to your original registration till I get around to the other suggestions.

This will be a BIG plus point. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

I added your lost 500+ posts as well.

WOW! I claim that everybody will love this plus point. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

The new smiley is nice; it looks like Calvin. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

jndas wrote:

I have removed those titles. They were default settings built in.

stone: Thanks for that. I'm sure that, once I get used to the changes, I'll be able to appreciate the improvements more fully. I think we owe jn our gratitude for his hard work on this site.

Hari bol, Jnanadas prabhu,

I am happy with some of the changes and unhappy with others, though I know that you are changing at least some of the latter, and I too am grateful for your continuing to provide such a wonderful site and putting so much hard work into it too.

I love the fact that one can now include pictures with the posts, a feature I have longed for, and it is also wonderful to see the "user pictures" under the member's name.

I agree with Avinash and Stonehearted about things like the subject heading of each post, and also do not like the ranking of threads or members. Everyone has something to say, and sometimes those things may not be as dynamic as other times, but some could get discouraged about inputting if they see such ranking, and it does seem silly to me too, like something from grade school.

I also do not like the lack of privacy, where a user is shown to be present once logged in, and even the titles of threads the person browses is shown. Predators and Wierdos lurk all over the internet, and I believe the less personal information and activities known, on such a public site, the better.

On a really practical level, I did not like having to go out of this thread to log in (which I avoided doing so that my online activities could not be scrutinized) before I could post here. I liked it when you logged in the first time you decided to post.

Also I could not find any reply button at the bottom of the page, for posting a general response to what has already been discussed by several, and had to hit a particular post's reply button to say anything.

Thanks, hope any of this helps,

much appreciation,

your servant, Jayaradhe

I agree with Avinash and Stonehearted about things like the subject heading of each post, and also do not like the ranking of threads or members.

Just seconds before you wrote that I deleted the ratings system. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

I also do not like the lack of privacy, where a user is shown to be present once logged in, and even the titles of threads the person browses is shown.

You can change yourself to invisible in your profile. Click on "My Home" and then "personal settings" (or something like that). There will be an option to be invisible.

I will look into whether this should be removed altogether based on more feedback from members.

On a really practical level, I did not like having to go out of this thread to log in (which I avoided doing so that my online activities could not be scrutinized) before I could post here. I liked it when you logged in the first time you decided to post.

I liked that as well. Unfortunately this is one thing I can't fix, as it is too complicated.

Now, to post you need to log in before hand.

Also to use the light bulbs to track the new messages, you need to be logged in.

The simplest thing is to select "Remember me each time I come" when you log in, then you will not have to log in anymore, it will automatically log you in.

Also I could not find any reply button at the bottom of the page, for posting a general response to what has already been discussed by several, and had to hit a particular post's reply button to say anything.

Now you can only reply to a particular message, not general. It is because the database records things based on threads (like branches). Just something we have to tolerate.

Thanks for all the attentiveness, and straightening me out on a couple of things too. The automatic login is great, actually, and I keep seeing other neat things like Gauracandra's poll in the Pan/Krsna thread. I may even become a good sport and become visible. Maybe. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif