IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Critics Say 'Abortioncams' Invade Privacy

Rate this topic

Guest guest

<h3>The anti-abortion activist who put a "hit list" of doctors on the Web now streams video of clinics.</h3>

"Watch People Going in and out of Baby Butcher Shops in Your City or Town," an anti-abortion rights Web site urges.

With a click of the mouse, users can view pictures and video of people entering or leaving abortion clinics including patients who undergo abortions and doctors who perform them.

Abortion rights activists say it's an invasion of privacy that encourages violence against those captured on camera.

"It is aimed at intimidating women and health-care professionals and is escalating tensions outside abortion clinics," says Vicki Saporta, executive director of the National Abortion Federation.

<a name="1"> </a> <span class="subhead"> Just the Facts? </span>

But the creator of Abortioncams.com Neal Horsley, who founded The Christian Gallery News Service, an anti-abortion rights group based in Carrollton, Ga. says he is only exercising his constitutional rights as a "journalist."

"If they make it illegal for me to report the abortion story then the idea of a free press will have been completely overturned by judicial tyranny," he insists. "All I'm doing is reporting the news."

Horsley has enlisted anti-abortion rights demonstrators, including his 20-year-old daughter Kathy, to serve as Christian Gallery "reporters" and shoot anyone walking in or out of abortion clinics with still or video cameras.

"What they're doing is evil These people are ripping babies limb from limb," he says. "Anybody who goes within 5 miles of an abortion clinic has to understand that they're entering into a story of momentous social concern."

Saporta says her organization's lawyers are researching possible legal lines of attack, including whether the Web site's activities constitute an invasion of privacy.

"It certainly violates a patient's confidentiality," she says. "We're looking to see if they in fact cross First Amendment lines into areas that would be illegal."

<a name="#"> <span class="subhead"> From the Creator of 'The Nuremberg Files' </span>

Horsley also posts "The Nuremberg Files" on his Web site a frequently updated list of the names and home-states of abortion providers, abortion-rights activists, politicians who support abortion rights, women who have received abortions and various judges and police officers. The title is a reference to the post World War II trials of alleged Nazi war criminals.

Personal information, such as home phone numbers and addresses, are also provided for many of the physicians. The names of those who are killed appear with a black line through them. The names of those who are wounded are listed in gray.

"His site certainly gives extremists the information they would need to target an abortion provider for violence if they chose to do that and his rhetoric is very inflammatory," says Saporta, who is on what critics say amounts to a "hit list.I don't think he really cares whether or not it leads to violence In fact, he is encouraging others to commit acts of violence."

"The Nuremberg Files" were widely publicized in 1998 after Dr. Barnett Slepian, a Buffalo, N.Y., obstetrician listed on the site, was shot to death in his home by a sniper.

A page on Horsley's Web site discussing his plans to take abortioncams.com to public access cable features a picture of Horsley holding a camera and wearing a T-shirt with the word "Sniper" printed on it.

The site also features animation of dripping blood, pictures of aborted fetuses and a wide collection of his anti-abortion rights rhetoric.

<a name="#"> <span class="subhead"> Experts Say 'Abortioncams' Constitutionally Protected</span>

Horsley maintains the purpose of his operation is only to "deter" women from having abortions and doctors from performing them, and denies encouraging violence. But he concedes that posting photographs and video of women going into abortion clinics does put their "security" in jeopardy.

"Do you insist that publishing the pictures of the 'mothers' who go to kill their children is wrong?" he asks on his Web site.

"f you do hold the present peace and security of the 'mothers' at higher value than the life of the child, if you hold such a confused and evil value system, make no mistake about it: to the people who created http://www.abortioncams.com you are the enemy "

The 9th Circuit Court of Appeals ruled in March that "The Nuremberg Files" were not against the law, reversing an earlier ruling by a lower court.

And legal experts say Horsley's activities, including his new "Abortioncams" project, are constitutionally protected.

"If they say, 'These are the people whom we are going to kill,' that would be constitutionally unprotected," says law professor Eugene Volokh of the University of California at Los Angeles. "But the mere fact that they reveal this information or that people would understandably find this to be menacing doesn't strip it of its constitutional protection."

"I can see certainly see why people would be upset, but it's pretty clearly constitutionally protected," Volokh adds. <br clear=all>

Tom Shine contributed to this report.

Originally posted by Maitreya:

We know the baby killing crowd prefers to enact their foul deeds in private,under the cloak of darkness.Tough.

Not that I don't agree with your first sentence, but can't help wondering what a `Maitreya cam` would reveal since you remain so adamantly secretive about your `personal` life.

Just curious...

Guest guest

Here's the MaitreyaCam. Mostly boring, except when the drum circle starts or Ricky Starr plays....

<center>Posted Image</center>

[This message has been edited by rand0M aXiS (edited 08-17-2001).]

Guest guest

Originally posted by amanpeter:

Just curious...

Curiousity killed the cat...........

So that is where that camera is.I'll look for it next time at sproul.randOM has eyes everywhere. Posted Image

So secretive petey?Are you refering to your old requests fron VNN when you were asking about peoples sex lives?

Okay here was my day so far.Asleep at 12:30 am.Up at 7:45.Forums, a little excercise, watched a little news on TV,temple, japa, lunch, japa,read an old Back to Godhead,talked a little with the devotees, just got home and am watching boxing and will soon be on the excercycle.Now wasn't that exciting?Use your imagination for the rest of the night when I usually grow fangs and patrol the neighborhood.

I picture peter as a voyuer.But don't tell me.

Originally posted by amanpeter:

Voyeur=lurking and `learning` without revealing oneself, wouldn't you say?

No that is called auditing a class.

I will reveal myself as soon as I find myself.Until then it's just the three gunas changing position.

Back to keeping an eye on those nasty abortionists.They should be made to feel the heat,don't you think?

"Voyeur=lurking and `learning` without revealing oneself, wouldn't you say?"

Personally, i prefer transvoyeurism to the illicit-sex of this world. Of course you have to receive the right mantras from the right source at the right time in order to participate in Transcendental Voyeurism. Unfortunately several organizations do not offer these divine programs in their offline menus. Note: The Holy Name alone will not reveal the Transcendental pastimes of Radha-Krishna. You have to have bona-fide initiation in to a bona-fide sampradaya/parampara. BSST-branch and ISDL (cintamanis' favorite) do not offer these luncheons.

Bon Voyage my friends.

You are not going to get across the ocean of maya in a leaky boat.

MRD.

[This message has been edited by Ajay Shah (edited 08-16-2001).]

Originally posted by Maitreya:

No that is called auditing a class.

I will reveal myself as soon as I find myself.Until then it's just the three gunas changing position.

Back to keeping an eye on those nasty abortionists.They should be made to feel the heat,don't you think?

First we become perfected, then whatever we do will be perfect, although we will see ourselves as the most fallen...meanwhile, are politics and morality really our business or simply more distractions?

By the way, MC, I have a suggestion for your trip. Theres a tiny flashlight available in camping stores that runs for a very long time on a lithium watch battery. They have different colored lights (white or yellow recommended) and work by squeezing. the ones with a switch, too, are much more useful. They're small enough to easily wear around your neck on a chain or cord and amazingly bright. A little expensive, perhaps, but well worth it. Mighty handy when the power goes off, as it often does! When are you leaving, anyway? I might have some more tips.

Guest guest

Originally posted by rand0M aXiS:

Curiousity killed the cat...........

But satisfaction brought him back...

Posted Image

What is interesting is that one of the biggest donors to the Democratic party, and best loved liberal institutions, is Planned Parenthood (the largest for profit abortion provider). Unfortunately most people don't know the history of this organization. It was founded by Margaret Sanger (if I recall the name correctly) who was a complete and total racist. She was one of the biggest leaders in the Eugenics movement. This movement basically sought to eliminate various undesirable races from the planet, and to create a super race of people. She was a Nazi sympathizer and supported Adolph Hilter's plans. Any time you have to discuss Planned Parenthood or abortion politics, its a good thing to know abit of its history. The statements she makes in various writings are so racist.

Another side note: the founder of the women's movement was Susan B. Anthony. Guess what? She was AVOWEDLY pro-life. There are writings from her where she speaks against abortion. Just something to think about.

Gauracandra

Guest guest

I saw an old reference you made to Ricky Starr. Is he still around? I was a grad student at Berkeley in the late eighties / early nineties and was just telling someone about my fondness for Mr. Starr. I've sometimes wondered what became of him and was glad to see from your posting that he endured for at least ten more years after I graduated.

Fellow Ricky Starr Fan

Guest guest

Now that brings back memories. I havn't seen or spoken with Ricky since I last resided in Beserkeley Dhama, about 1998. I did see the Hate Man when I visited last winter.....

After court cases played out they booted Rick Starr of campus, He was always on the verge of making it big. I see Hate Man only on occasion and his trip is really toned down, It been three years since I've seen him 'push'. lol

Last week on Telegraph I saw that naked chick who likes to walk around topless, She looks a lot better dressed, She was walking on Telegraph towards campus holding a big sign

that read, "Tits Not Targets".

LOL what a place. They are dying out and not being replaced. Another bad omen Iseen the Bubble Lady fairly ofyen and she is still dressed exactly the same, but she no longer blows bubbles.

Not only that but we haven't had a riot since Rodney King.

Guest guest

and thank Krsna for that!

Hate Man has prostate cancer and no medical insurance, so he is in a really bad way. I remember when his buds from the media came and interviewed him for 60 minutes. I managed to get in the shot.

When I passed thru last winter, I did not see any of the old Telegraph crowd. I really do not miss that place, nor do I miss California at all.

Best Regards theist,

ys,

rX

your right. Those times were so odd they can't be duplicated nor should they be. The problem is the freaks now have a real violent streak. I only walk up Telegraph when going to Moe's. Packs of street punks with their pit bulls is just too much for me these days.

Be well and I will stop by.

Guest guest

my visit last year were the changes on Telegraph. No more Blondie's Pizza, or the other smaller stores, all have been replaced by chain stores. Fred's Market was the same, but I think Krishna Copy Center was gone.

Do the devotees still serve in People's Park at noon? I did not stop by Stuart Street.

But I think he keeps that grumpy demeanor on all the time and has scared away most of his business, including me. I went up there to get something copied for the temple one time and they ask me to take them some Maha-prasada (in hopes of getting the printing for free no doubt /images/graemlins/wink.gif ) but grumps wouldn't accept it. That's the last time I went. Even though I am a vegan to save them from the sin of rejecting maha I ate the simply wonderfuls on their behalf. I am so compassionate. Must be the mood of Vasudeva Datta taking hold. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

not sure if the devotees go there or not. I xstopped going all together when they started locking the doors to outsiders during the week to keep the riff raff out. I can take a hint.

Guest guest

grumps. He is Saivite, that may have something to do with his demeanor. Whenever I stopped in to get copies I would always greet him with "Jai Mataji" instead of Haribol, and he would always be very pleased. /images/graemlins/cool.gif He showed me some very special places on a map of Kashmir that not many Westerners know about that helped me immensely during my last visit to the dhama. He is an ocean of knowledge regarding the Saivite tirthas.

Then there was one of his employees, Ravi. But that is an entirely weird subject.....