IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
vinay

"Upanayana for the Kshatriyas and the Vaishyas

Rate this topic

was the upanayana or the thread ceremony only for the brahmins. i happened to read in a website that even the kshatriyas and the vaishyas also performed this ritual. if so, why is this practice still not followed by these 2 castes?

Originally posted by vinay:

was the upanayana or the thread ceremony only for the brahmins. i happened to read in a website that even the kshatriyas and the vaishyas also performed this ritual. if so, why is this practice still not followed by these 2 castes?

I have read in a translation of Valmiki Ramayana, a few years ago, that even Sita was wearing the sacred thread. So, it seems that in a different yuga, even women had that right. Of course, I didn't find anything to that effect in Gita Press VR edition. So, I don't know the authenticity. May be some other member can clarify.

From the Srimad Bhagavatam, 7.11.13:

samskara yatravicchinnah

sa dvijo 'jo jagada yam

ijyadhyayana-danani

vihitani dvijanmanam

janma-karmavadatanam

kriyas cashrama-coditah

"Those who have been reformed by the garbhadhana ceremony and other prescribed reformatory methods, performed with Vedic mantras and without interruption, and who have been approved by Lord Brahma, are dvijas, or twice-born. Such brahmanas, ksatriyas and vaisyas, purified by their family traditions and by their behavior, should worship the Lord, study the Vedas and give charity. In this system, they should follow the principles of the four ashramas [brahmacarya, grihastha, vanaprastha and sannyasa]."

Those who follow the ten samskaras (purificatory rituals) are known as dvijas, or twice born. The first birth is the material birth to one's mother and father. The second birth is the spiritual birth, where the Guru becomes the spiritual father, and Gayatri Devi becomes the spiritual mother. Vaishya's, kshatriyas and brahmanas were all expected to receive this second birth through initiation, thus they were known as dvijas. The brahmanas were known particularly as the shreshthas or dvija-shreshthas, "best among the twice born".

Those who were not interested in following regulated life styles were not given the spiritual initiation into Gayatri mantra, though they were instructed in other forms of purification through devotion.

These designations of caste are not based on birth, as is evident from the many saintly individuals who were born in shudra families, but who become teachers of the higher castes.

The Vaishyas I know still go through the thread ceremony. However they do it just before the wedding as they don't require it before that. So do many Brahmanas these days.

Cheers

From Krishna Book.

KB 45 Krsna Recovers the Son of His Teacher

After this, Vasudeva had his son initiated by sacred thread as the token of second birth, which is essential for the higher castes of human society. Vasudeva called for his family priest and learned brahmanas, and the sacred thread ceremony of Krsna and Balarama was duly performed. During this ceremony, Vasudeva gave

various ornaments ... cows were given to the brahmanas. Then Balarama and Krsna were duly initiated with the sacred thread ceremony, and They repeated the chanting of the Gayatri mantra.

The Gayatri mantra is offered to the disciples after the sacred thread ceremony, and Balarama and Krsna properly discharged the duties of chanting this mantra.