IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Audarya lila

Where do new converts fit into the whole caste system?

Rate this topic

Well Luigee, I will guess that you are one of the many alter-egos that Valaya is concerned about - but still - I will give you an answer.

Your concern should be about who you are and where to place your faith and devotion. Don't be concerned about position in this world. There will always be those who appreciate you and those that don't, regardless of who you are and what your stated belief system is. Spiritual life is about changing your own heart. Do that and you won't have to ask questions like this one.

Your servant,

Audarya lila dasa

The caste system is a corrupted practice that needs to be removed from hindu society. Those who take to Hinduism should not take up the corrupted practices as well. Learn to take only the essence or good from everything. We are all sons of God, thus our identification is as His servant, not as any particular caste.

Although The caste system is something that I don't like about Hinduism, As a new convert how will other hindus treat me? In what class will they consider me to be? I'm a college student attending a top-rate school in America. Will the fact that I'm highly educated affect my caste standing in the eyes of Hindus?

I would really like to know what to expect in the future if I do decide to fully convert to Hinduism.

luigee

[This message has been edited by luigee (edited 10-19-2001).]

Audarya,

I didn't ask because I want to be in the high caste system. Like I said in my original post, I don't like the caste system. For that reason, I don't want anything to do with it. However, my question was referring to how I would be perceived by others. of course, I don't care if people think lower of me. I know who I am.

so, no. I'm not one of those "Alter-egos" you speak about.

But thanks anyway...

jndas,

I agree with you that the caste system is wrong and should be abolished (although technically India made it illegal decades ago). Keeping this system alive will be Hinduisms greatest threat in the 21st century (womans' rights also need improvement)IMHO. Hinduism is such a beautiful religion. The caste system makes it look bad to the outside world.

thanks for answering to all.