IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
livingentity

Why read Srila Prabhupada's Books?

Rate this topic

Originally posted by Ananga:

There is a clear cut etiquette in the Gaudiya community about speaking of one's guru in public. One is not supposed to go around making this big deal about their guru's accomplishments, out of respect for the feelings of those who have a different guru. This etiquette is there for a reason. Please observe it, or perhaps you should go find some other tradition to follow.

[This message has been edited by Ananga (edited 09-10-2001).]

There you are wrong. Where do you get this information. I for one am unlimitedly grateful to devotees who have in the past year or so introduced me, throught the internet, to their guru Srila Sridhara Maharaja. And have also much appreciation for others, such as Srila Gour Govinda Swami, who unfortunately I found out about too late in a sense. Others too. I recently saw on a video of our San Francisco Rathayatra my Godbrother Tripurari Swami speaking, and felt only happiness to see preaching going on--and how continuously this devotee has been doing so. Why should I resent hearing acaryas, teachers, siksas--actually, ANY Vaisnava--glorified or quoted? Why would that have to detract from my own dedication to Srila Prabhupada?

thanks, Jayaradhe

Recently I had a conversation with a good soul, dedicated to Srila Prabhupada, who became a little angry with me for suggesting that it was acceptable to read books other than those written directly by His Divine Grace.

But I find statements in Srila Prabhupada's books like this one from CC.

TRANSLATION CC Adi 5.203

By the mercy of Sanätana Gosvämi I have learned the final conclusions of devotional service, and by the grace of Sri Rüpa Gosvämi I have tasted the highest nectar of devotional service.

PURPORT

Sri Sanätana Gosvämi Prabhu, the teacher of the science of devotional service, wrote several books, of which the Brhad-bhägavatämrta is very famous; anyone who wants to know about the subject matter of devotees, devotional service and Krsna must read this book.

I am not sure who translated it into English but an on-line copy is available at:Bhaktivedanta Memorial Library

http://www.users.qwest.net/~aryan/SNM/

Hare Krishna

[This message has been edited by Maitreya (edited 09-11-2001).]

Originally posted by Maitreya:

Recently I had a conversation with a good soul, dedicated to Srila Prabhupada, who became a little angry with me for suggesting that it was acceptable to read books other than those written directly by His Divine Grace.

This is a fanatical and foolish mentality. Since when is it acceptable to suggest that the previous acharya's works or other contempory Vaishnava's writings are unacceptable? This is kanistha mentality at best. These books are our wealth and heritage and by all means should be studied. Of course Rupa Goswami has said that one should not read too many books and it was the policy of Srila Bhaktisiddhanta to engage his disciples in service and limit their propensity to gather information. We should read the books of our Sampradaya with the aim of improving our bhajan, not to gather more information that remains in our heads and isn't put into practical application.

Many people have not even read the books of A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami. They should be encouraged to do so and so should we. At some point in our development we may want to read more books such as Jiva Goswami's sat-sandarbhas or as you have noted above the Brhat-Bhagavamrta.

Page after page of Srila Prabhupada's books he is laying the foundation for us in our development in Krsna consciousness. If we read these books carefully we will find all we need to know to find the impetus to surrender fully. At some point due to our love and attachment to Lord Chaitanya we will want to know more of what the six Goswami's and the other great acharyas in our line have written. It all depends on our adhikara and our ability to be honest about it. For the vast majority of us we haven't begun to digest and implement in our lives the teachings that Srila Prabhupada delivered to us.

Another angle of vision is that all Vaishnava's have their unique and wonderfully individual personalities and the writings of one acharya may move us to action more than another. In that sense it may be useful to read some of the achaya's translations and commentaries of Bhagavad-gita or Srimad Bhagavatam.

All glories to ALL the Vaishnava devotees of the Lord.

Your servant,

Audarya lila dasa

Originally posted by Audarya lila:

[b

Many people have not even read the books of A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami. They should be encouraged to do so and so should we. At some point in our development we may want to read more books such as Jiva Goswami's sat-sandarbhas or as you have noted above the Brhat-Bhagavamrta.

I have read Srila Prabhupada's books.Yet every time I pick one up there is something new.Too much to every possibly assimilatein one paltry lifetime.

But we have to be a little generous to others that find the similar in the works of other Gaudiyas Vaisnava's.

I could easily understand someone reading mainly Jaiva Dharma for their whole life for instance.

Someone else may focus on Prabhupada's Krishna Book and let his consciousness take up residence in those wonderous pages.

It is a very large feast that the Lord's kindly devotees have brought us to.The only thing lacking is our ability to digest quickly enough.Thankfully we are eternal.

Hare Krishna

Guest guest

Such a nice thread,

I thought let us revive this

so that we may be reminded of our gratitude to His Divine Books!!!

DEVOTEE:

Srila Prabhupada when you're not present with us, how is it possible to receive instructions? For example in questions that may arise...

SRILA PRABHUPADA:

Well the questions are answ... answers are there in my books.