IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
shvu

Devas and Asuras

Rate this topic

The Aryan kings were known as Devas. The Rig-Veda describes battles between the Devas and Asuras. The Devas are good and the Asuras are bad.

The Asyrians [Asuras ?] who were a parallel civilization had a religion where the Asuras were good and the Devas were bad.

Coincidence?

Cheers

------------------

Confucius says a man who has both feet firmly on the ground will have trouble putting on pants.

Originally posted by shvu:

The Aryan kings were known as Devas.

Could you give a reference for this.

The Asyrians [Asuras ?] who were a parallel civilization had a religion where the Asuras were good and the Devas were bad.

What is their scripture, which would talk about these asuras.

Indra, Mithra and Varuna are all the Aryan kings/gods who fight battles and drink Soma juice in the Rig-Veda.

Zoroastrianism the religion of the ancient Iranians is where Zarathustra denounced the worship of Mithra the deva who used to drink hoama juice. He advocated Ahura worship. The Iranians had trouble pronouncing the S of Sanskrit. Hence Hindu, Ahura, Hoama, etc.

Cheers

------------------

Confucius says a man who runs behind a car will get exhausted.

I have always wanted to learn more about the Zoroastrian faith. From what I understand they more or less controlled the Arab world prior to Mohammed. Then when Mohammed came he killed them all off, or drove them into India. Its interesting that in the story of Mohammed there is a point at which he and his men ride into a temple and destroy hundreds of idols. I have heard a few stories, though I don't know how real they are, that his family were in fact Shaivites. There are a couple points given for this. First, supposedly his grandfather wrote poetry to Mahadeva that still exists, also the stone in the Kabba (the most holy site for Muslims) is one of the idols that was not destroyed in Mohammed's attack, it is believed to be a Shiva linga. Also, the symbol for Islam is a crescent moon (which is what Lord Shiva wears in his hair). And Alla is another name for Durga in Sanskrit. There are other similarities as well. I read this in an essay by some Indian lady once. I don't know how real they are or if it is just Indian propaganda against Islam. Never can tell. But I found them interesting. But it makes sense to me that prior to Christianity and Islam, the whole mid-east was more "Vedic". Certainly Zoroastrianism lends to this, also in the Bible it tells of how the peoples worshipped many Gods. Any thoughts on this?

Gauracandra

Guest guest

Dear Jndas;

This a very interesting remark. We had never read Bhavishya Purana, and are curious to known something about what you had said on Christ coming from surya-mandala also. Can you summarize these info to us? What actually this Purana says about Christ? Was he considered a Vaisnava according this Purana? It that a Vaisnava Purana or what kind of Purana?

But one should also be cautions with these info, as many Puranas are full of interpolations and should be understood under proper anugatya, but anyway these info are always welcomed.

dasa dasanudasa

Satyaraja dasa