IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Ananga

A little religion is a dangerous thing

Rate this topic

Ronald Nixon NOT Richard Nixon, who was a US president.

Ronald Nixon was a British pilot in WWI who had a near death experience while fighting the Germans. He went to India where he taught English at Benares University, while studying Buddhism and Advaita philosophy. There he met his guru, Yashoda Ma, who was actually the University rector's wife.

She introduced him to Vaishnavism, as she was initiated by a member of the Radha Raman Goswami family. Ronald Nixon was given the name Krishna Prem. He established an ashram in Almore, U.P., where he lived out his days.

He wrote a number of books, which do not show an excessive amount of bhakti, but are quite scholarly.

His disciple Keshava Priya Dasji was a friend of mine. He was Mahanta of the Mahesh Pandit Sripat in Palpara, Nadia. A nice adoshadarshi Vaishnava.

Ys, Jagat

Thanks Jagat ji for this information. I have heard high praise for Sri Krishna Prem by the Swamiji I had associated with. Why do you say his writings do not contain Madhurya Bhakti? Have you read them? Please recommend the source where I can get his books. Are they available from amazon.com? Under what name?

Sri Krishna Prem. He may have written something about madhura rasa, but I never saw it. I believe his "The Yoga of the Bhagavad-gita" is in print.

His disciple Sri Madhava Ashish (also an Englishman, who succeeded Krishna Prem at Almora) completed his last work, "Man, the Measure of all things," which was published in 1969. You might find this still in print.

Krishna Prem's life story was written in English by Dilip Kumar Roy and is well worth reading. Other versions of his life have been written by others, including O.B.L. Kapoor who includes him and Yashoda Ma in his "Vraj ke bhakat" (Hindi). There is also a multivolume Bengali work on sadhus of all sampradayas ("Bharater sadhaka", I believe it is called) that also has a version of the Ronald Nixon story.

Ys, Jagat

Hi,

Someone in this thread mentioned Sri Krishna Prem and bhakti. I have found that in all his books, but particularly in "The Yoga of the Bhagavad Gita", he expresses a deep and profound bhakti. Ramana Maharsi said of him, that he was a "rare combination of bhakti and gnana".