IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
dennis_s

Mantras

Rate this topic

As far as I know, "Mantra" is a sound vibration that can deliver the mind from illusion. So I don't understand, how did vedic brahmans use to start fire with a mantra? Could anybody explain me the way the mantras work?

Thank you

ps. please forgive me my bad English.

There are different categories of mantras, and different definitions for the word mantra based on the category of mantra invoked. The ultimate purpose of mantras are to deliver the mind, and this is accomplished by meditation on the sound representation of a deity.

The Vedic conception of matter includes various levels of existence, from subtle to gross. All objects are ultimately based on sound syllables known as seed letters (bija mantras). It is because all matter comes from sound that sound is able to deliver the mind from matter (thus the definition of the word mantra).

Sound is never separate from matter on the higher planes of existence. The Vedic understanding of objects includes three aspects, namely the adhibhauta, adhyatma, and adhidaiva. In the case of fire, these refer to the element fire, the instrument by which fire is perceived, and the controlling deity behind fire. All of these are existing in a subtle form within the mantra of the deity of fire (agni-devata). One who has perfected the mantra can manifest the three aspects of fire through recitation of the mantra. This is known as mantra siddhi. On the level of adhibhauta one may manifest the physical element of fire from the sound (mantra). On the level of adhidaiva one may manifest the deity of fire from the mantra. The ultimate purpose of the mantra would be to manifest the deity, the manifestation of the agni-bhuta is secondary.

I hope this has given some answer to your question. If you have further questions please ask.

Hare Krsna, Jndas!

Thank you for answering my letter. You say there are different categories of mantras, and different definitions for the word mantra based on the

category of mantra invoked. Could you tell me about those categories and other definitions of word "mantra"? Thank you.

Your servant,

Dennis.