IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
ggohil

To Kill or not to Kill

Rate this topic

Given a hypothetical situation.

Let us assume that one is a devotee of Krsna.

One is sitting under a tree in a jungle and is attemting to meditate on Krsna. During

this process a poisonous snake arrives and decides to strike one. What does one do?

Option 1:

One is perfectly aware that the snake's body, the snake's fangs, the poison, the snake's energy, etc. indirectly comes from the Lord.

Additionally, the snake's soul is also etrnally related to the Lord. The only entity that probably is not controlled by Krsna is the "Will" of the snake.

Further, one also habor's the knowledge that the Lord is always in control.

Being aware of this knowledge does one decided to kill the snake knowing that the soul of the snake is free to make it's own decision and this decision is not

necessarily Krsna's.

OR

Option 2:

In addition to knowing all of the above should one further understand that the

"Ability" of the soul to make an independent decision" also comes from Krsna. Hence one should let the snake strike.

One can kill a snake and scorpions, since they are envious creatures. This is what I understood. They will get a higher birth.

If I couldn't kill the snake (I probably wouldn't since I'd be very scared) I'd certainly leave that place since this body is not mine, it belongs to Krsna also and should be utilized for His service and therefore protected.

BTW Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Goswami Prabhupada said that one could kill snakes and scorpions.

Nobody has any right to kill a soul. At the same time God has given us the power to think & act. As long as it does not hurt us, we need not kill it. It is better to leave that place & find another place for our meditation. If it is unavoidable we can kill it saying God's name so that it may get higher birth as Nitai says.

Good questions.

-----------------

What you do not wish to do, you shall do inspite of yourself, fettered by the duties born of your nature. - The Gita 18.60

In the hearts of all, resides the lord making them act as if they were mounted on a machine. - The Gita 18.61

--------------------------------

Going by this, Man has no free-will at all. If a person kills or performs charity it is all due to divine will.

So whether one kills a snake, or is killed by a snake, or just walks away, they are all the same. If someone is drawn towards the lord, that would be out of divine will too.

Also reacting to danger is natural and is found in all animals. The reaction that comes out will be instinctive, whatever it be.

dear Viji,

one cannot kill the soul. I think it was just a slip of the keyboard :-) you do know this (since you are a scholar and nice devotee)...but just to make it clear for the others.

"Thus I have explained to you knowledge still more confidential. Deliberate on this fully, and then DO WHAT YOU WISH TO DO"

Bhagavad Gita 18.63

In spite of all the trancendental knowledge given to us, perhaps we are free to make a decision at will.

Yes. Those verses seem to contradict each other. Verses 18.60 and 18.61, don't go with the rest of the Gita. Because if everthing is divine will, there was no need for Krishna to bother with explaining paths in detail. Most of the Gita indicates man has free will to choose and act.

Perhaps some scholars know how to fit in the above 2 verses with the rest of the Gita. Would be interesting to know.