IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Interested, but not wanting to intrude.

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Before I say anything else, I'd like to make sure my interest and attention on this forum will not be seen as rude or disrespectful. I'm an american woman, and have studied various religions.

I'm interested in the culture, and the religion, but unfortunately, I've not found much available to teach and discuss. And I don't want to seem like an ignorant, rude, pushy american, or that I'm intruding on such a long standing and indepth culture.

dear lady,

if you have/show friendly interet to know what hinduism is with open mind, you will learn a lot here. people here do not like anti-vedic preachers posting here.

if you are a christian, please tell christians to not convert hindus in Bharat.

Guest guest

Thank you for the warm reply, I am not christian, I was raised in a family that believed such, but... and without sounding mean, it seemed so much lip service and guilt and no,... joy? Even during a revival, it was all about atonement, which is important, yes, but,... It felt more like a job. I do not seek to convert, or be converted, I seek to learn.

That is what you are maadhav. The person shows interest but lack in information that could interest her and it is our duty as Hindus to give her. You on the other hand seem to be arrogant and self-centered. If you cannot help her please be silent. Need not show you boastful and egoistic tantrum. Some Christians may be against Hinduism for invading their terrority but not all Christians. Christian Missionaries had inflitrated India not now but some 200 years ago and that is because India was colonized by the Biritish Empire. We have to blame ourselves for allowing the British to enter India and so did the Muslims before them.

To show your anger now with someone who was is in no way part of that generation is very stupid. Please allow others with knowledge who can help her understand Hinduism better coz you are not that person since you show hostility towards non Hindus in this forum. Otherwise tell the moderator to bar anyone asking question about Hinduism which would only make this forum dull. Sorry for my intrussion and remark but I have to say what I think of your comments on such matters. In future if you do not wish to entertain non Hindus please do not say anything. That is the best you can do for Hinduism.

Too late for that. Being born in this World means you already intrude in other people's life.

So instead of trying not to step on each other foots, let learn to dance. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Come and learn,

come and teach.

That's what God brought us here to do anyway.

Good and bad, we will sort it out later.

Guest guest

Hi,

I do not understand why Madhav always gives such replies.He seriously seems to have some problem with anyone and everyone asking questions here.

Anyway this is for the american lady who posted here.Do you have any specific questions in mind that we could help you out with or you just want to learn more about hinduism

Thanks

Guest guest

you're allowed to be opinionated and to say what you like, it's your right. it's also your right to maintain your anonymity as well. do and feel and say what you want, within reason. maybe with a bit of personal study you will slowly come to understand the depth of hinduism, and how not to get trapped between the religion and the culture; the mythology and spirituality. hinduism is for everyone, so you can explore till you find something that attracts you and makes you grow. if you like hard and fast rules, perhaps look towards christianity or buddhism, if that's your inclination. just a tip: dont get too caught up in books, arguments and theory; makes finding the truth too complex. all you need is a simple copy of the Gita.

Truy I'm unsure where to begin, is there an online uncorrupted site of the gita, I think it may be very hard to find in bookstores out here. And is there truly a difference between the culture and the religion? I know it is in several ways, culturally different then moslem, but again I just don't know much. some of my questions are being answered by my searching back through other posts and reading the information there, but it does take a lot of searching /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Guest guest

hmm...

there is no such thing as a "simple copy" for the gita. there are very good translations, but the commentary will always by complicated b/c it is something so spiritual, and we materially inclined folks will have a hard time understanding.

if you are looking for a very nice, good, awesome translation then get Eknath Eswaran's translation (it has no commentary).

if you are prepared and willing to learn the teaching w/ an open mind, then purchase Swami Chinmayananda's "Holy Geeta." it is excellent.

if you are hardcore and crazy and Absolute Truth is right up ur alley, then purchase the Gita with commentary by Sri Adi Shankaracharya. (translation by Alladi Mahadeva Sastry) it is very nice.

Guest guest

Hari OM

Our vedic culture says "Let the noble thoughts flow from all directions towards us" , that is the basis of our culture. We have many religions like buddhism, zain, sikh, etc., in India and people were moving freely between them.

In fact even some muslims were impressed by this and one Emperor (called Akbar) formed a new religion called "Din-E-Ellahi" and many muslim saints (called Sufis) tried to combine the good points of Hinduism and Islam.

Many western scholars came to India purely to convert people to christanity, but they got impressed and they themseleves converted to Hinduism and took the concepts to their countries and started converting people there.

Ohter than the pure spiritual things, hinduism also has great things like Yoga, medidation, Pranayama, universal brother hood, and other concepts and we love to learn other cultures and religions.

However some fanatic and bigotic Abhramic sects are saying They are GOD's creation and we are SATAN's creation, while they are good we are evil, it is their duty to destroy us and our culture. This creates hatred and anger among people and many of hindus are also becoming fanatic and bigotic.

As a westener you can play a much better role than a traditional Hindu, please understand the good concepts of Hinduism and educate your friends, so that their fear and suspicion would reduce. Once again we can live in the true vedic culture of "Let noble thoughts flow from all directions towards us" and we can leave a much more happier and healthier environment to our future generations.

Guest guest

dear american lady,i feel very rude calling u by 'american lady' coz i dunno ur name,do tell us ur name ya...ok next up to tell u in simple words about hindu, Hinduism is a religion of science,what im trying to say here is every culture in hindu has a scientific meaning in it. the concept of GOD too is very interesting.though we have many form of God,its actually saying there is only ONE god.If you see the a picture of Lord Shiva,which has half his image & the other half is a lady image (GOddess Parvati,his wife),shows that GOD is not a man nor woman,but he is both,and when there is MAN & WOMAN,u can CREATE A WORLD! ill get u more info,stick to this site.

My name is Sarah, and I've done some reading on one of the sites about the various legends and stories in the hindu religion, including Brahma and Swarsiti ( excuse the misspelling I'm at work and can't look it up) and then Vishnu and Ganesha, as well as shiva, and the story of Rama. Is it correct that all these are hindu related, or am I finding bad information? I've studied the 'pagan' religions some, such as druidism and see many similaritiees in the facets of supreme beings, which makes the noble thoughts sentiment all that much more powerful in my opinion

Guest guest

awww how cute! im sorry, i just like this whole thing. like, a western-person coming with an open-mind! its really nice.

propz!

Om Namah Shivaya

Guest guest

Dear SarahK,

Here are some pointers:

1) Buy a copy of Bhagavad Gita - my first copy was the Penguin Classic version with introduction by Juan Mascaro. My love for Sanatana Dharma blossomed from the day I opened that book

2) Search Hindu websites - it takes time but there is a lot of good stuff out there. Some good websites are:

http://www.atributetohinduism.com

http://www.gurudeva.org

http://www.gurudeva.org/resources/books/

http://www.hinduismtoday.com

Guest guest

http://www.gurudeva.org/basics/fourf/index.html

Four Facts of Hinduism

Karma is what the soul undergoes in one of two ways, according to whether its actions are virtuous or not; but both kinds subsist until the end of enjoyment in this world.

-Svayambu Agama

God's cosmic law of karma governs our life experiences through cause and effect. As God's force of gravity shapes cosmic order, karma shapes experiential order. Through karma, your thoughts, emotions and deeds-whether good, bad or mixed-return to you. Thus, karma is your teacher. It imparts the lesons you need and are able to meed. FOr it is a divine law that no karmic situation will arise that exceeds your ability to resolve it. Karma is not fate. You have free will. No God or external force is controlling your life. It is your own karmic creation. To be responsible for your karma is strength. To blame another is weakness. Therefore, remember God's great law of karma and act wisely.

Reincarnation

Through his past works he shall return once more to birth, entering whatever form his heart is set on. This mightyl soul unborn grows not old, nor dies, for the soul is immortal and fearless.

-Brihadaranyaka Upanishad

Your soul is an immortal body of light. Its Absolute and superconscious essence is identical to with God. Yet, this identity needs to be realized and unfolded within the soul. Toward this goal your soul undertakes many, many lifetimes in a physical body. You are now the sum total of all your past lives. You undergo every concievable human experience as the forces of the body, ego and desire manifest. In the latter lives the forces are transmuted toward spirituality. Finally, your soul realizes God. After resolving all residual karmas, your soul no longer incarnates into human form. As the Agamas and Vedas teach, the soul continues its evolution in the inner worlds. Therefore, you live joyously, strive for spiritual unfoldment and do not fear death.

Dharma

May noble wisdom come to us from all sides, undeceived, unhindered, overflowing, so that the Devas may always help us onward, unceasing is their care, our Guardians day by day.

-Rig Veda

Dharma is God's Devine Law, the law of being. Dharma is to the individual what its normal developement is to a seed-the orderly fulfillment of an inherent nature and destiny. When following dharma you are in harmony with the cosmic order; you abide close to God. The moral dimension of Hindu dharma is embodied in the eithet yamas (restrains) and eight niyamas (observances). The yamas are: non-violence' not stealing; disciplining desire; abjuring lust and greed; curbing arrogance and anger; not lying; avoiding injustice; shunning wrongdoing and evil company. The niyamas: be pure in body, mind and speech; love mankind; seek contentment; cultivate devotion; develope forbearance; give charitably; study the scriptures; preform penance and sacrifice. Every person has his or her path; worship God, and your dharma will become clear.

Worship

Offering of perfumed substances, floweers, incense, lamps and fresh reuit-these are the five elements of the traditional puja which culminates with offering of the lamps.

-Kamika Agama

Worship expresses our profound love for God. Puja, bhajan, prayer and meditation are all worshipful means of direct, personal communion with God and Gods. God, Gods and devas are all real beings dwelling in the inner worlds. They can and want to help you in every aspect of your life. This they do in accord with your own patterns of karma and dharma. Daily, personal puja at home keeps you God-conscious and your home holy. God has established many temples to allow us to intimately communicate with Him. Temple puja opens a channel to God. Through His personal presence and shakti, prayers are answered, karma softened, spiritual unfoldment guided. Surrender, worship with intese love, and God hears.

These four facts-karma, reincarnation, dharma, worship-are the essence of the Vedas and Agamas and the fabric of every Hindu's life. Speak of them to all who will listen, They are the heritage of all souls.

Guest guest

http://www.gurudeva.org/basics/nineb/index.html

Nine Beliefs of Hinduism

Our beliefs determine our thoughts and attitudes about life, which in turn direct our actions. By our actions, we create our destiny. Beliefs about sacred matters--God, soul and cosmos--are essential to one's approach to life. Hindus believe many diverse things, but there are a few bedrock concepts on which most Hindus concur. The following nine beliefs, though not exhaustive, offer a simple summary of Hindu spirituality.

1) Hindus believe in a one, all-pervasive Supreme Being who is both immanent and transcendent, both Creator and Unmanifest Reality.

2) Hindus believe in the divinity of the four Vedas, the world's most ancient scripture, and venerate the Agamas as equally revealed. These primordial hymns are God's word and the bedrock of Sanatana Dharma, the eternal religion.

3) Hindus believe that the universe undergoes endless cycles of creation, preservation and dissolution.

4) Hindus believe in karma, the law of cause and effect by which each individual creates his own destiny by his thoughts, words and deeds.

5) Hindus believe that the soul reincarnates, evolving through many births until all karmas have been resolved, and moksha, liberation from the cycle of rebirth, is attained. Not a single soul will be deprived of this destiny.

6) Hindus believe that divine beings exist in unseen worlds and that temple worship, rituals, sacraments and personal devotionals create a communion with these devas and Gods.

7) Hindus believe that an enlightened master, or satguru, is essential to know the Transcendent Absolute, as are personal discipline, good conduct, purification, pilgrimage, self-inquiry, meditation and surrender in God.

8) Hindus believe that all life is sacred, to be loved and revered, and therefore practice ahiusa, noninjury, in thought, word and deed.

9) Hindus believe that no religion teaches the only way to salvation above all others, but that all genuine paths are facets of God's Light, deserving tolerance and understanding.

Hinduism, the world’s oldest religion, has no beginning—it precedes recorded history. It has no human founder. It is a mystical religion, leading the devotee to personally experience the Truth within, finally reaching the pinnacle of consciousness where man and God are one. Hinduism has four main denominations—Saivism, Shaktism, Vaishnavism and Smartism.

Guest guest

Hi Sarah,

Its great to see ur interest on Hinduism.

I hv read a book Raja Yoga by Vivekananda which I was quiet impressed. This book gives an approach of hinduism spiritually and scientifically. Book as the chapters go seems tricky/difficult to understand like matrix trilogy film. If u spend time to complete the whole script u can understand better.

Link: www.ramakrishnavivekananda.info/ vivekananda/volume_1/raja-yoga/introduction.htm

Hope this helps, thanks.

Guest guest

Be careful before you browse the links these people have provided. Most people at this forum are ignorant, and they have no idea what Hinduism is about. One of links mentions Karma as one of the basic tenets of Hinduism, which is ridiculous. Karma itself being an effect of Jiva Swarupa, how can it be fundamental? Have you ever heard of an effect becoming a fundamental principle? Evidently, it is an asburd proposition.

All I can say is that you must be wary of these website links, which are by no means authentic. If you want to know REAL Sanatan Dharma (the correct name for Hinduism), you'd better log into Dvaita.org or tatvavada.org. Most of today's "hinduism" is not at all Sanatan Dharma but concocted neo-vedantic nonsense.

Namaste and Jai Swaminarayan!

Welcome to the forum SarahK! I am an American Hindu and would be more than happy to help you and provide links and such for you to help you in your journey! As you have already found out there are some real jokers here with hidden agendas and mis-information that derive some sort of pleasure by mis-directing people! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif There are also some very thoughtful, intelligent and helpful people as well. I am only new here too but it didn't take long to figure out (at least for me) who was (are) trying to mis-guide people. It is quite sad, really /images/graemlins/confused.gif I pray for them that they can attain some sort of balance and clear vision in their lives to try and help others and not decieve them and cause them suffering and confusion. I pray they find happiness in their own lives so that they can live a rich life! Feel free to PM me anytime and I will do my best for you. I know what it is like starting out without really knowing where to go.Shanti!!!!!!!!!!! Your friend, vayu

I appreciate your attempt to 'correct' in your opinion the direction the others are leading me. However, your anger, your hatred, your upstaging attitude of knowing better than anyone does about, from what I am coming to understand, is a very personal path religion and culture shocks me and makes me feel very uncomfortable. I see the belief in karma as fundamental to the ideals of the hindu relgion, reguardless of what sect name you with to give it. These folks are attempting to help someone start from square one, all they can do is offer me tastes of ALL ideals of hinduism and let me choose my own path, please, please, if you will continue to be so very angry at them because perhaps thier paths are not yours, don't stay with this thread.

Guest guest

your anger, your hatred***

So in your view, if a person calls a spade a spade, he is angry and hateful. Perhaps, you need lessons in logic rather than in Hinduism. lol.

I see the belief in karma as fundamental to the ideals of the hindu relgion***

You can believe anything you want, but that won't make it right. And since you claim to be a newbie, how could you be sure that karma is fundamental?

reguardless of what sect name you with to give it.***

Truth is truth, sect is immaterial.

tastes of ALL ideals of hinduism***

You mean lies? Sure, you can taste them all.

please, please, if you will continue to be so very angry at them***

One of the basics of hinduism is to offer pramana or proof, instead of babbling about the same old thing.

don't stay with this thread.***

I am soooo disappointed that I can't stay with this thread to answer an illiterate Yank.

BTW, I agree with Madhav that most people who come here, especially yanks and other yavanas who supposedly ask innocuous queries, are potential suspects ONLY. Guess one shouldn't waste time with such distinguished guests. Thought this Yank would break the trend, my mistake!

SarahK, I really appreciate your response to Dvaitin.

There are numerous belief patterns under the umbrella of Sanatana Dharma. However, that is the beauty of our faith - it offers something for everyone. One can choose a particular path that best suits them. This degree of flexibility is not found in any other spiritual tradition. Unfortunately, some like Dvaitin think that their chosen path is the only one. This is a great shame. That kind of 'Abrahamic' attitude has caused many to turn away from the Western religions.