IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Kali_Daughter

Where do the puranas come from?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

they have the same value of vedas, they have no origin being emanated eternally by the supreme lord

Guest guest

The Puranas are stories of Hindu mythology. Although some of them contain some history, most are exaggerations and symbolic interpretations, folk stories as well as legends. They were used to popularise the religion of the Vedas among illiterate villagers (although they are modifications of the Vedic religion) and promote sectarian movements. Some modern day Hindus believe they are the source of much of the ignorance practiced in todays Hinduism (e.g a dip in the Ganges washes all sins away) and they should take a backseat, but for others such as Iskcon - their Purana in particular, the Srimad Bhagvatam (Bhagvata Purana) is history for them and without it they wouldn't exist.

Guest guest

ur words prove that u dont have "God consciousness" & you are materialistic.

Materialistic people like you have many forums to chat with other materialistic people. this forum is for spiritual people. stay away.

/images/graemlins/smile.gif Jai Shri krishna

Guest guest

simply he has to study... to say that vedas are right and purana is mythology is stupid, because in vedas there's stories and not only philosophy and in puranas there's philosophy and stories..

so why puranic stories are false and vedic ones are true?

stupid answer.. maybe dogmatic, suggested by any bogus uncompetent master

Guest guest

Hare Krishna,

The Puranas are stories of Hindu mythology. Although some of them contain some history, most are exaggerations and symbolic interpretations, folk stories as well as legends. They were used to popularise the religion of the Vedas among illiterate villagers (although they are modifications of the Vedic religion) and promote sectarian movements. Some modern day Hindus believe they are the source of much of the ignorance practiced in todays Hinduism (e.g a dip in the Ganges washes all sins away) and they should take a backseat, but for others such as Iskcon - their Purana in particular, the Srimad Bhagvatam (Bhagvata Purana) is history for them and without it they wouldn't exist.

ATHARVA-VEDA X.XI, 7.

24. The riks and the sâmans, the metres, the ancient legends (purânam) together with the yagus, all gods in the heavens, founded upon heaven, were born of the ukkhishta.

Guest guest

Give me some names of these bogus uncompetent master(s) you speak of, and what are your reasons? I never said Vedic stories are true, rather I mentioned the Puranas to be different from the Vedic religion. By the way, the Vedas consists of Mantras which are verses similar to hymns that are based on the science of sounds and need to be chanted correctly to get any benefit...not stories like the puranas. yes some of the vedic verses can be 'interpreted' as stories, but the fact remains that they are Mantras. The true meaning is veiled in symbolic imagery.

The Puranas are attributed to Vyasa, but that doesn't mean that he wrote them...it's rather odd since they came at different time scales, especially with the controversy of when Vyasa actually lived. The Puranas are different from the Vedas, especially when you look at how some sects claim their Purana is more important than the Vedas (no clues for guessing!)...why would they want to do this if they were in sync? The truth is MOST of these sects, with Puranas as authority don't even study the Vedas, as most Hindus have little to do with the Vedas.

gokul, this forum is for anyone who wants to discuss Hinduism. There are many people here who are non-hindus as well as many Hindus who wish to find out more.

Why do you believe that you are born of your father? Is so because that you mother told you? Do you believe your mother that she is telling the truth? Think again coz there may be not may be yes but it is up to you to believe it or not. If you believe than he is you father if not than there is a BG question mark.

Guest guest

"yes some of the vedic verses can be 'interpreted' as stories, but the fact remains that they are Mantras. The true meaning is veiled in symbolic imagery"

your opinion, dogmatic opinion, not necessarily the truth..

so in vedas there's stories and you do not reject vedas because there's less stories than puranas..

too weak for me..

Guest guest

Nope, I think the puranas are stories because they are too far-fetched to believe to be true. They make no sense, even with commentary and are quite absurd to be literally true...especially thes ones of the gods fighting. There may be meanings behind the stories, either good or bad depending on the way you look at it, but I find it incredibly hard to accept as the whole truth. The only thing I can see them as is mythology. Again this is not dogmatic, but a matter of OPINION!

And don't assume that I'm a Vedist either as only a few people still follow the 'original' Vedic religion today,though the sects like to claim different.

If you believe the Puranas are not stories, but are literally and historically true, then explain how you came to that conclusion if you've actually studied them.

Guest guest

the problem is that in any other matter one has to study before giving opinions, in religion there's no need, it is enough to have some faith of some kind and it is enough..

i cannot say to you that the puranic stories are true until i experience them personally, until i see narasimha, varaha, krishna, kalki, vamana etc.

the only thing i can say, in more than twenty yrs of study and practice under a spiritual master is that, studying the basis of vedic science, especially the ontologic nature of god, all the stories of puranas, carefully studied appear to be belonging to a logic, logic of behaviour, logic of moral and spiritual principles involved, all compatible with vedas, upanishads, itihasas and so on.

There's not casuality, no contraddiction, every character is very well depicted and recognizable even in very different stories and situations..

..but i have followed a path, a system, if i had opened matsya purana or bhagavat purana without knowing nothing before it is very possible that i have called it mythology exactly like you..

so i can suggest to study carefully, the only thing easy to do in a forum like that is to recall some stories and discover as much as we can what's the sense, or the lack of it in the happenings.. then if one's sincere will reconsider to study the matter carefully not stopping at the first impression