IndiaDivine.org

Saivism, Vaishnavism, but what about Bhramah?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I have found myself reading a lot more into Hinduism for last 5 months or so. I keep hearing about people being Saivite or Vaishnavite, but what about Bhramah. Why is that no one prays to him? Is there a reason for this, or is it just because?

The reason Brahma isn't worshipped is unbelievable for me to accept. When I first heard it I was very disappointed, but it didn't matter to me much as I don't take stories seriously. I'd rather not say why he isn't worshipped and probably another poster will do a better job explaining the story. I think I understand the philosophical meaning behind it, meaning the job of creation has been done, now theres just preservation and destruction (the regeneration) as all the materials to create have already been created. I think there's just one or two temples dedicated to him in the whole of India.

Also alot of people here are attatched to personal gods, but I was taught that all these gods are nothing but a manifestation of Brahman - whether the personal aspect (Ishvar) or impersonal. I think all these gods are just different aspects of the One God.

By the way don't confuse Bramha with Brahman.

there is a story in siva purana

in which it says brahma lied, and got a curse

that he will not be worshipped.

the four heads of brahma however are placed on the top most strcutures of the temples.

bahma samhita is high class prayer and glorification of vishnu by brahma.

govinda aadi purushham tam aham bhajaami..

So there is no form of worship whatsoever, wasn't Ravan a devotee of Brahma, and thus he received his brahma-astr. How could have this been possible is there is a curse on Brahma?

I dont reject Lord Brahma as others do. whenver i see "Lord Brahma" in any temple, i pray to him.

Lord Brahma is given a highr position in the vedas.

so lets believe vedas more than the puranas.

Lord Brahma is very appreciated in both vedas and puranas, he's very dear to everyone, he is the creator of the universe empowered by sri vishnu.. and he, saying brahma samhita puts the basis of all transcendental knowledge at the start of any new creation..

for caitanya mahaprabhu's followers he's also in chaitanya lila as a close companion of chaitanya mahaprabhu in pancha tattva

Sri Brahma as a devote of the highest class is supremely blissful when krishna is loved and worshipped, he's not in any way envious

so.. who "rejects" sri brahma is simply a mad sinner.. sri vishnu/krishna is absolutely tolerant when an offence is directed to him but he cannot bear it when a devotee is blasphemed

Legend

Once there was a dispute between Lord Brahma and Lord Vishnu as to who was superior. This created untold suffering among all living things as their respective duties of creation and protection were being left unattended. Lord Shiva in order to put an end to this dispute appeared before them as fire in the shape of a glowing mountain.. The two who were quarrelling did not realise who or what this 'mountain of fire' was. So they decided to search for the 'Aathi' (beginning) and the 'Antham' (end) of this 'Jothi' and whoever succeeded first would be declared the superior god. Lord Brahma took the form of a swan and flew upwards in search of the beginning and Lord Vishnu took the form of a 'Varaha' (wild boar) and went burrowing in the earth in order to find the end. Each after flying high and borrowing low failed in his attempt to find the beginning or the end. Brahma did not want to concede defeat. While coming down he saw a petal of 'Thalampoo' floating in the air. He asked the flower to be his witness that he had seen the beginning. The flower agreed to his request. They arrived together and found Lord Vishnu and told Him that Brahma had seen the top and this flower 'Thalampoo' was the witness. At this juncture the 'Jothi' transformed itself as Lord Shiva and admonished Brahma for telling lies and the 'Thalampoo' for bearing false witness. He also decreed that no temples would be dedicated for Lord Brahma and that 'Thalampoo' should never be offered in worship.

Brahma and Vishnu realising their mistake prayed to Lord Shiva to remain there as a 'Jothi lingam'. Thus every year during the Tamil month of 'Karthigai' (November/December) on the 'Karthigai' day a blazing fire is lighted on the top of the hill to celebrate the appearance of Lord Shiva as 'Jothi'. This occasion is an important day in the calendar of Thiruvannamalai.

There is also another legend that says that Goddess Parvathy once playfully closed the eyes of Lord Paramasivan. This caused the entire universe to become dark and all activities to cease. This made Lord Shiva angry and in order to chastise Parvathy, she was banished to the earth. She came upon this earth and arrived at Kancheepuram. Here she fashioned a Sivalingam in sand and prayed to Lord Shiva to forgive her and take her back. Lord Shiva was pleased with her devotion and prayer and asked her to go to Thiruvannamalai and pray to Arunachaleswarar. Goddess Parvathy arrived at Thiruvannamalai and was finally united with the Lord by taking half his body on the left. This transformation of half Parvathy and half Shiva is called 'Arthanareeswarar'.

Though this temple is famous as a Shiva temple, there is a shrine dedicated to Lord Subramanya in the outer 'veethy' The deity is called 'Kambaththu Ilayanar'. This is where Lord Subramanya appeared on a pillar. The legend is as follows. Arunagirinathar, the saint poet and an ardent devotee of Lord Subramanya, lived in Thiruvannamalai. He had squandered his wealth by his youthful waywardness and had contracted an incurable disease as a result. Finally he got fed up with his lot and climbed a temple tower and jumped from there in an attempt to kill himself. Lord Subramanya stopped him falling in mid-air and blessed him with wisdom and set him in a path of piety and devotion. From that day he brought forth his devotion and piety in the form of devotional verses called 'Thiruppugal'. This brought fame and respect to Arunagirinathar. A court member of the king of Thiruvannamalai named Sambathanthan got jealous of Arunagirinathar. He was a devotee of Goddess Sakthi. He challenged Arunagirinathar for a contest. He said that he would make Goddess Sakthi appear before him and challenged Arunagirinathar to do the same with his Lord. Arunagirinathar accepted the challenge. When Sambathandan prayed to Goddess, She appeared in front of him but only he could see her. When Arunagirinathar prayed to Lord Subramanya His figure appeared on a stone pillar for everybody to see. It is this pillar with the image of Lord Subramanya which is installed in the sanctum of Kambathu Ilayanar temple.

Many people believe some stories of shiva purana telling that brahma quarelled with vishnu. shiva cursed brahma. in shiva purana carries mnay stories humilating vishnu also. so will you people humilaite vishnu ?

We shouldnt forget that shiva purana is tamasic.

But in sathvic purana such as bhagavatham, Lord krishna never tells that we should not worship "Lord Brahma". (also Lord shiva is not humiliated in Bhagavatham)

Also in vedas, Lord Brahma is reverred.

So lets forget tamasic stories, and worship "Lord Brahma" with other gods.

Om Sri Brahma devaya namaha

Om Namah Sivaya

Om Namo Narayana

/images/graemlins/smile.gif

"We shouldnt forget that shiva purana is tamasic."

Says who? Says Yourself and the sectarian movement you represent! But I'm sure if I ask a Shivite they will tell me something else.

I think all these Puranas are false and only the Vedas and Upanishads make some sense to me, but I don't go around telling others their 'scripture' is wrong, because maybe I just don't understand it as well as they do.

"I think all these Puranas are false and only the Vedas and Upanishads make some sense to me, but I don't go around telling others their 'scripture' is wrong"

and what you have done now? /images/graemlins/smile.gif (puranas false!)

and on what basis? thinking? belief? scientific? are you following a school? a sampradaya?

(the same for who criticize other scriptures)

What I mean is that although I think the Puranas are false, I don't tell others to share my opinion, I understand that some Hindus revere the Puranas and believe them word for word, but if it helps them spiritually then good on them, let them have it. Maybe I just don't understand them but I think they are just mythology, as many Hindus also do. People may not like my beliefs and they may have their reasons for it and they are quite entitled to their opinions as I am too. My views on Puranas are just my personal opinion and I don't force it down people throughts.

When I've asked gurus of various samradayas to explain the stories of the Puranas to me, they don't make sense at all. One minute they tell me Hindus believ in only one 'God', the next minute they are telling us stories of all the god's and goddesses. I find the stories incredibly far-fetched (e.g gods fighting and competing) and cannot accept them as true, in the same way I don't accept certain religions as true.

Why can we not have free thinking in Hinduism? I certainly think we should, we've always had it throughout history.

By quoting the below script, Lord veda vyasa classified puranas into sathvic,rajasic & tamasic.

Vaishnavam Naaradeeyam Cha thatha Bhagavatham Shubham Garudam Cha thatha Paadmam Varaaham Shubha Darshane ShaDeThani Puranaani Saathvikaani Mathaani why Bramhaandam BrahmaVaivartham Maarkaandaiyam thathaiva cha BhavidhshyadhVaamanam Braamham Raajasaani Nibhodhamae Maathsyam Kourmam thatha Laingam Shaivam Skaandam Thathaiva cha AagnaeYam cha ShaDethani Thaamasa NirayaPradaha

which means that there are six puranas that are Saathvik. These puranas are Vishnu, Naarada, Bhaagavatha, Garuda, Padma and Varaaha. The Raajasik puranas are Bramhaanda, BramhaVaivartha, Maarkaandaeya, Bhavishyothara, Vaamana and Bramha. The six thamasik puranas are Maathsya, Kourma, Lainga, Skaanda, Shaiva and Aagnaeya.

/images/graemlins/smile.gif Jai Shri Krishna