IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
ajaikissoon

Hindu-Muslim Marriage

Rate this topic

Hello all,

my question is not regarding marriage per say. I am totally comfortable with my girlfriend being muslim and us getting married (of course, I am Hindu).

What I would like to know is about the food topic. Seeing as she is muslim, she was brought up eating Halal meat. I, on the other hand, have kind of ate anything that I felt like eating.

Living in seperate houses right now during our dating phase doesn't cause any problems with the eating thing. When we get married though, what should be done?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Seeing as you are not following the Hindu dharma (of ahimsa and vegetarianism), there is little conflict you will face. Religion is probably not a high priority in your life anyway, but for social conventions you can learn to follow her principles. Some principles are better than nothing.

Hinduism and Islam are generally not compatible for those seriously following their respective paths. For others who do not regard their religion or culture much, there is little conflict that will occur (as they are usually just ritualistic followers).

Guest guest

There is conflict that will occur later in the marriage, when the child is born, the muslims side will make there demands. They would want the child to be brought up as a muslim and will put pressure for the man to convert to Islam.

This has always been the case.

Just Be prepared for problems to surface.

Guest guest

You say that you have previously eaten anything. Your not a Hindu then are you.

A real Hindu does not eat meat, how can you call yourself a Hindu?

It saddens me that people who claim to belong to a certain faith dont even have any undertanding of there religion.

Meat eating especially eating the cow is condemned in the Vedas.

Guest guest

"hinduism" as a term encompasses different customs. people believe in different teachings, instead of saying "hindus are vegetarians", why not say "i think", or "my opinion is". different writings, swamis, gurus, teach different things about vegetarianism. example. gita says one thing, a veda says another. specify please. also specify different castes, groups, have different food "rules".

Guest guest

Hi, It would probably be better and less stressful for you to not discuss this in public, maybe between yourselves and possibly with people you both trust and respect.

Guest guest

Some Hindus do eat meat, even in the ancient times some Sages ate meat. it says so in the BrihadAranyaka Upanishad.

At least try to keep to your religion the best way you can.

Guest guest

Hi i guess, instead of motivating a person in trouble you guyz are demotivating him, DUDE you are the man ...LOVE IS THE ONLY RELIGION THAT A MAN SHOULD FOLLOW ...do as you feel ...BUT JUST DONT HURT ANYBODY.

Guest guest

Im writing in reply to this " do as you feel " nonsense philosophy.

I would like to point out that do as you feel is one of the basic laws of Satanism.

Just think about you have said that we should " do as we feel" as long as it doesnt hurt anybody, but my friend doing as you feel always hurts other people and ourselves.

Doing what feels good is the basic path to all problems in life sometimes we "feel" like getting drunk, sometimes punching someones face in if they upset us, sometimes we "feel" like not getting up in the morning.

We have many impulses but does that mean we should just follow them , no we should not be slaves to our mind and lower natures , but instead take control of our senses become " goswami " (master of the senses) not "go dasa" ( slave to the senses).

That is what the Vedic literature is all about, if we just do what we think is right and what feel right , that ultimately leads to problems. We might feel like eating 5 chocolate bars, but that will lead to gettin fat, or having to much sex, which leads to veneral diseases etc etc.

Isnt it obvious that what may feel right may not be in our best interest, therefore we should not take heed of the mind and senses as they lead to bondage, but instead become the master of them, which ultimately will lead to liberation.

Guest guest

i think it is absolutely ridiculous and disgusting to judge a person and their faith by what they eat! there are many hindus in the world who eat meat- that does not mean they are less of a hindu then you are. the same way goes for many muslims who do not follow eating halal meat, does that mean he or she is not a muslim?

i think religious tolerance and respect for one's connection with god is something we need in order to progress in our societies. narrow-minded thoughts are just the reason we do not become better people in lives. we are so hung up on blaming religious conflicts and killing one another, we fail to better our society.

we all are (at least i hope most of us are) educated civilized people. racial and religious tolerence should be something that comes naturally to someone who is brought up in today's world. before the british divided india, hindus and muslims were perfectly fine living with one another. why is it that after they divided and conquered, we have falled into the trap of what they wanted to do to us, ruin us! we should all work together to live again peacefully as to show the western world that we have not falled into their traps. instead, what we do is kill one another and belittle eachother's religius faiths!

Guest guest

ps- please excuse my typos! it's too early for me to think and type clearly /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Guest guest

"before the british divided india, hindus and muslims were perfectly fine living with one another. why is it that after they divided and conquered, we have falled into the trap of what they wanted to do to us, ruin us!"

You obviosly don't know much about history as you wouldn't have said that. The 2 religions mentioned did NOT get on and don't get on today as there are MAJOR differences that most people (even on this message board) don't want to talk about or even bring up. It's the PEOPLE who get on, not the religions which clearly have different ideas.

"divided and conquered" You forget that India was conquered before the british came! And of course people were divided by religion. You can't blame the british for all of India's problems as Indian's create these peoblems themselves. Look, India has been free for over fifty years and yet there still is religious tension and distrust, it was there before the british, it's there now and realistically speaking it will be there in the future!

If this guy wants to marry his muslim girl then it's entirly up to him. The thing that will upset both side is the big C word...who converts to what? In an ideal world nobody should have to convert, but looking at most mixed-religion marriages, that's rarely the case.

Guest guest

i think there will be people who will vouch for experiences bad and good, from unknown examples.

First of all as a Hindu, I must admit that all our ancestors from time immemorial consumed meat, including beef. Second, Ahimsa can be better put to practice in India during religious tensions and not on the dining table. At least give the same value for a human life, as you would expect for a chicken or a cow.

Marriage, as long as it is between two persons is always OK. But when there are two families , each trying to impose their ideas on the other, risks are higher. This can happen in matters such as dowry etc, as we see in Hindu and muslim families where the partners(men often ) give in to the family demands. Watch out for external interferences, there are people who would wish well

Guest guest

hi i am from australia and i am doing this project on 'hindu and muslims and what barriers and conflict there are when getting involved into marriage or relationships'...i was wondering if i could get some input from people or anyone even who is in this situation THAT WOULD BE GREAT HELP...THANKYOU

MY emial is Shamley_23@hotmail.com

What were she and you thinking when you both fell in love. I'm sure both of you never thought of the religious barrier and the problems it would cause between both families. Both matured and intelligent enough face consequences so why ask thhis question now. She being a Muslim eats only halal meat, halal rice, halal vegitable, halal bread and drinl halal water, use halal money and take halal transport. So, how about you friend, eat anything that crawls? Well, she knew you better and so did you than why this questions? Having any doubts about you choice? I thought you were matured enough to make decisions and here you are uncertain, oh what a moron you are.

it is said that "love" is blind.

the urge to unite physically and make some one own another is greater than one's knowledge of the principles and practices of islam and hindusim, the systems under which they both would live. keeping the true history of india (islam in india) out of the education system causes more problems. some foolish hindus even quote the vedas to justify islam is good when it is not.

the partition of india is a monumental evidence that islam is not compatible with hinduism. This fat can easily be verifed by teh study of koran and gita, ansd the actual history. still gandhi failed to understand it and allowed the muslims to live in india even after the partition.

recently bollywood made a award program in bahrein

where the actors of india nd paksitan hugged each other.

one shirtless muslims actor - making money from the hindu majority - donated a very large sum to a xian org in india.

islam has not changed its focus of invasion and occupation.

hindus are not acting smart, not realizing the danger.

"hindu muslim marriage" to me sounds like

"goat tiger marriage" or

"swan crow marriage". (no offense intended).

what is there to discuss about it?

the need is to think and talk

about our vital dharma and rashtra interests.

barney, your post is good.

Guest guest

does it really matter what kind of food is it,whether its halal or not,she as muslim is not even supposed to be getting marryed to Non-Muslim like you,on the day of jugdement Allah will ask her about why she marryed you(Mushrik)rather than chicken or what ever the food is,whether it was Halal or not.

Guest guest

Folks,

In India our educational system and media brainwashes people into soft sentimentality..."all religions are the same", especially our Muslim brethren. That means young Hindus, especially our women, when their parents don't bother bringing them up as true practicing Hindus, are soft targets for Muslim boys who are TOLD by their community mullas to target and convert Hindu girls, thus "saving" them from damnation. This has become increasingly common in expatriate communities like the UK and the USA. Read the following article.

Why Did Sheila Patel Flee From Kuwait?

By:

The Truth Detector

There is a large Gujarati community settled in Houston, Texas. And there is also a fairly large Moslem population, a large part of it from Pakistan. And it would appear that the Moslems have targeted the Hindu girls, go out with them, sleep with them and even marry them by the 'nikah' method and divorce them as soon as they are pregnant. The rumor is that a wealthy Mohammedan businessman from Mumbai often issues 'khutbas' in various mosques of the city urging young Moslem boys to go after Hindu girls. And to entice and spur them on, he announces a 'prize' of Rs. 10,000 (or about $300) for every 'nikah' consummated with a Hindu girl after her conversion to Islam.

There have been many cases of such marriages; the girl is always a Hindu, mostly Gujarati and the boy a Moslem. In several cases, the girl was later chased out by the boy's parents (in Canada recently the parents-in-law even murdered a Hindu bride of their Moslem son) and there has been at least one case where the Hindu girl came back to her parents' place and said that she would not be taken back by her 'husband' until her parents too converted to Islam. And the girls had often complained at the indifference of their parents and asked when it was too late, why did they teach them that all religions were the same, when obviously they weren't! The girls discovered the truth on their own and at a very heavy price!

Sheila was such a girl from Houston. She got married with one Abu Hashem of Pakistan. The boy got a decent job in Kuwait and took off for the Arab town with his Hindu wife, newly converted to Islam. The life of the newly wed couple was as good as two non-Arab speaking people could expect in Kuwait where they look down upon all non-Arabs, Moslem or otherwise! Pakistanis and Bangladeshi Moslems are very much despised in all Arabia, Kuwait included.

Sheila soon became pregnant. Hashem wrote to his mother to come over so that Sheila, now named Sufia, could have some one to look after her. The mother could not come; she herself was pregnant with her seventh child and was not in a position to travel abroad. In view of the fact that it is very difficult for any Moslem woman to travel abroad, all by herself, she sent her younger brother, Muneer, the maternal uncle of Hashem.

The apartment was large and Muneer settled down in one of the spare rooms, facing the Arabian Gulf. The idea of having Muneer was to have some help at hand so that if required, the doctor or the ambulance could be informed.

Hashem's job required frequent traveling to outlying areas and it was thus necessary to have an extra person at home, for any emergency.

Although in Islamic milieu it is not customary for the wife of a nephew to be too familiar with the husband's uncle, no doubt Hashem had thought that in view of the fact that Sheila had a Hindu upbringing, there would not be any problem vis à vis her attitude toward Muneer.

And things went fairly well for some time until Hashem was called upon to leave for an outlying area but for an unusually longer period. His company wanted Hashem to be away from Kuwait for at least two weeks.

That evening, on his return from work, Hashem announced the news and assured Shiela, now sufia, that there was nothing to worry. She could always telephone Hashem at work if required. That did not quite allay Sheila's worries, living alone with another man, an unmarried man at that, under the same roof with the husband unreachable. She grumbled somewhat but in the end, what could she do but take it lying down!

Hashem left on his assignment. Several days went by without any incident. Then one night, Muneer knocked on Sheila's bedroom door. Sheila asked what was it that Muneer wanted! Muneer sounded impatient and gruffily ordered Sheila to open the door. Sheila didn't and after some more tries and unsuccessful bangings on the door, Muneer gave up. Sheila could not sleep the whole night. She sat up on her bed with a kitchen knife in her hand.

First thing in the morning, Sheila called her husband at work. She explained the situation to Hashem. Hashem took an inordinately long time to understand the point that Sheila was trying to make. However, in the end, he seemed to understand the situation. Sheila wanted Hashem to return immediately but apparently Hashem could not do that. His job was too important. He could not leave for Kuwait now. And that was final!

In the end, Sheila asked Hashem what indeed she should do! And what Hashem told her froze Sheila. Hashem calmly told Sheila that perhaps his uncle Muneer wanted to sleep with her; and if so, why was she refusing! There was no harm if Muneer wanted to sleep with Sheila. There was no harm in the eye of the Sharia'; after all she was a non-Moslem woman and the Sharia' did not apply to them. And if she had the permission of her husband (in this case, Hashem) there would be no problem. In any event no one, but no one, would even know that such sexual intercourse took place between Muneer and Sheila. He, Hashem, as the husband would not breathe a word to anyone! And so on!

Sheila knew that if she attempted to kill Muneer that night when he made another attempt to break into her bedroom, which she believed he was sure to do, she would be arrested and beheaded the very next morning in that animal kingdom for slaughtering a follower of Mohammad. She had already read numerous such incidents in the daily papers on many rape cases involving Kuwaiti males and their Filipino maid-servants.

Sheila abruptly hung up leaving Hashem wondering. Hashem was too far away and it was not likely that he would know anything about Sheila's plans. Sheila called up an American airline and ordered a seat back to Houston. Normally, a married Moslem woman cannot leave the country

without a written permission from the husband and theoretically there was no way Sheila could leave Kuwait on her own. That was the prophet's law!

Fortunately, Sheila still had a number of her Indian Sarees. Dressed as an Indian 'Hindu' woman, bindi and all, she came down to the airport, paid for her ticket by the American Express card and took her seat. She hardly had any luggage; just her papers and a basket with some spare clothes.

Sheila's Hindu attire and vermilion dot on the forehead, saved her. The air hostess undoubtedly thought that she was an Indian girl of Hindu faith and perhaps not even married; she didn't even raise the subject of her husband's written permission to leave Kuwait.

And thus ended another wedding based on misinformation spread by the mentally handicapped secular government of India and its misinformed Hindu parents. Fortunately for Sheila, the baby died at child birth and there was one worry less for her and her parents. She rebecame a Hindu woman after the 'shuddhi' ceremony and this time, she was a Hindu for good! The case served as a good lesson for those of her girl friends who had any wrong ideas about Moslem boys and Islamic conduct, which very few knew about. After all, the prophet of Islam himself had married the young wife (Zainab) of his (adopted) son Zayed, after forcing him to divorce (or talaaq) Zainab; and to think that the 54-year-old prophet had already a number of wives including Ayesha, age nine!

Guest guest

"recently bollywood made a award program in bahrein

where the actors of india nd paksitan hugged each other.

one shirtless muslims actor - making money from the hindu majority - donated a very large sum to a xian org in india.

islam has not changed its focus of invasion and occupation.

hindus are not acting smart, not realizing the danger."

Maadhav, I know the show you were talking about the Zee Cine Awards in Dubai. It was truly disgusting, but what was worse was the fact that these filthy rich Arabs didn't give any money to the charity but gave free cars to bollywood stars such as Shahrukh Khan! Could they be any more shameless? In the end it was an Indian business man who gave money to the charity.

What I saw earlier today was far worse. It was another awards function that actually mocked Hindu Sadhus. It was the Stardust awards on Star TV and it involved an rather offensive 'comedy' sketch on a Hindu Sage posing as a 'love guru'. Do these bollywood lot dare insult the christian, muslim, jewish or buddhist religions like this? No! But they are more than happy to insult religious Hindus as we are 'tolerant'.

Not only was the sketch unfunny and offensive, it was rather stupid. It was done by a new actor Shahid Kapoor - I don't know if he is Hindu or Muslim, but the name sounds muslim. The 'love guru' was giving his 'spiritual love advice' then to make things worse he starts dancing around like a clown along with all the other sadhus around him. Although some people were laughing - typically Adnan Sami (a pakistani muslim making his money in India), there were still a few in the audience who were not at all happy.

Is there any way I can form an official complait with stardust, I'd like to give these scum a piece of my mind!

In Bollywood films Hindu Sadhus, Gurus, Swamis and Pandits are always made to look like fools, this nonsense has got to stop! Bollywood is trying to create a generation who look down at Hinduism and those who live a good Hindu life.

Guest guest

Dear 'Guest' that was a good article, I appreciate it. What you said about hindu girls being converted in the UK is very true! Alot of the Hindu girls in the UK are clueless about Hinduism - all they know is "all religions are same" which makes them an easy target for conversion. Muslim boys in the UK date mainly non-muslim girls so they can keep their 'own' women pure while mess about with others and try their best to convert them to Islam. But some of the Hindu girls are stupid anyway, they know the muslim boys bad reputation and they still fall for it, as many of them are desperate for a boyfriend, they will take the first boy to come along.

All religions are clearly NOT the same. Hindus shouldn't teach hate but should get their facts right when considering Islam and Christianity as these religions have predatory motives for conversion, which causes more problems than it solves. These religion state that religions such as Hinduism are false and should be wiped out by converting their people.

Recently a programme on Zee TV (7 days) had a feature on Islamic conversions in the UK. A Muslim convert was being interviewed about conversions in UK and he stated that 10% of converts are Hindu and Sikh. The reporter, a Hindu female asked the muslim about "why is this?". He replied that it's really to do with "romance and relationships at college and universites, where the Hindu/Sikh end up marrying a Muslim and has to convert in order to make the marriage work!" This is disgusting - having to convert just to make a marriage work!

It's about time Hindu's realise that a marriage with a Muslim will cause many problems unless they convert and only weak-minded easily-lead Hindus will give up their religion just because their partner insists. To give up religion so easily shows up their internal weakness and that they probably never had a religion in the first place.

Guest guest

since you're cool with eating anything...why not adapt to her halal meat? and puhleese..my answer has nothing to do with the fact that she's muslim and you're hindu...it simply has to do with the fact that one of you has a food preference and the other does not.