IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

english names to sanskrit

Rate this topic

Guest guest

hi i am trying to translate my daughters name into sanskrit. her name is Emily Charlotte. could anyone tell me if this will translate and if so how to do it. i am also looking for any proverbs relating to beauty or love. i am finding it extremely difficult to find things on various sites and im very new(but verry interested!) to this whole subject.

thank you

Here are a few attempts.

Emily = charming

Charlotte (a bit harder, but if we take it as derivative of carol) = song of joy

Charming has almost unlimited possibilities in Sanskrit:

(Feminine nouns usually have a long final vowel)

manoharA

manoramA

subhagA

mohini

hArinI

(All of which are used as girl's names)

song of joy

song = giti, gita (which are popular women's names)

charming song could be achieved by just adding "su" to the beginning "sugitA, sugiti"

Or you could combine some of these (especially if your daughter can sing) (These combos don't work for all the above words, for various reasons.)

Gita-manohara

Gita-mohini

Now look at this site and try to find something that fits:

http://www.salagram.net/1000Radha.html

Gita (verse 129)

Guest guest

Thank you very much for that. it is a huge help. do you know of a site where i can put those names into the sanskrit alphabet? or could i just directly translate them using the alphabet chart?

Thanks again

Do you want the English names written in Sanskrit, or the Sanskrit names?

emilI-zArlATa would be (1)

sugIta-manoharA (or whatever) would be (2)

You have to know a little something about the Sanskrit alphabet before you can use it, because it doesn't work like the Roman.

Guest guest

i've been trying to get my tatoo for a long time and if you can help me id greatly appretiate it. My name is Chris and i want to get it tatooed in hindu lettering so if you can please print chris just like you did for the other person who emailed you id appretiate it.

thanks,

chris

Here you go. This is the exact equivalent of the letters "chris", however the pronounciation of the corresponding Devanagari combination is a bit different with the "ch". There are two ways to do the "ri", I have included both. See which one looks nicer to you.

Posted Image

In the second one, the "hook" (for ri) can also be joint with the "ch" letter and be a bit more left, however this is the way my font put it.

post-420-13827404862_thumb.gif

Guest guest

thank a lot you don't know how long ive been looking for this. You've been an awesome help thanks. I greatly appretiate it.

chris

Guest guest

sorry to bother you and i appretiate your help very much.this will be the last time i bother you.i would appretiate if you sent me my full name christian just to compare because i may just get my whole name instead of the abbreviation please reply as soon as possible.

thank you

chris

Guest guest

Hello,

Sorry to bother you but I have been searching the internet trying to find a convertor to see how my name would look in Sanskrit and I found this information and saw that you had helped a few people and was wondering if you would help me. My name is Nicola and I would like both examples if possible.

Thank you

Nah, I think trying to get people to quickly learn devanagari and make their names into devanagari script from a chart of alphabets will just lead to sooo many weird tattoos! Who will learn the conjuncts from such charts.

You might want to get hold of ITranslator99 from Omkarananda Ashram.

http://www.omkarananda-ashram.org/Sanskrit/Itranslt.html

Any links to a page where people can figure out modern Hindi spellings of Western names words/names. I love it when they write English words in their wacky phonetic Hindi style.

Guest guest

Hey there,

I followed your advise & went downloaded the ITRANS to translate some english words to sanskrit writing. Now if someone could just check to see if this tanslates correctly as it will be for a tattoo and I would prefer it to be correct. So if anyone would be kind enough to give this the once over obviously Im not a sankrit expert so try not to laugh if its wrong. English words as below.

"My love for you eternally Christine"

My! laeve ˆ)aerœ yae @tenRLLy! iCriStne

Well don't worry about checking it as I can't even cut & paste over what I've translated. Why its coming over like this is beyond me!!!Im not sure how to go about making sure I get the corrct translation I figured it was to easy to just type the english words in & get a exact translation. Any suggestions....

Thanks

Guest guest

cloese but not quite correct.

to write "christian" word sound in devanagari,

you need to write "krishchI'ana" in ITRANS.

jai sri krishna!

Guest guest

Hi I have been trying to find how to write my name sita in sanskrit, if you could help please do. Thanks.

Guest guest

I am looking for the sanskrit writing of a few Hindu Deities; I hope that someone can help me.

I would like to know how to write the following names in Sanskrit:

Hanuman

Ganesh

Kali

Shiva

Thanks!!