IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
WTyler

A few questions regarding the Dharma.

Rate this topic

One thing I have trouble with is understanding the nature of God. I personally enjoy the belief that there is one God and his traits are just shown through other gods, and that is why there are various gods in the dharma.

Though, regarding the Trimurti, I have never understood if it is believed that Vishnu, Shiva and Brahma are actual intelligent beings with physical, energetic or astral bodies, or just physical properties of the universe: Creation, Preservation and Destruction.

I assume some believe that and others believe they are physical?

Furthermore, in the religions that believe Shiva, and Vishnu and the Goddess are the supreme Godheads, do they feel as if they are the only "true" gods, or is it more so that the personality of those gods better suit their needs and they can relate to lets say, shiva over vishnu?

Also, in Smarta, do they venerate all gods? If so, what mantras do they use? different ones?

Personally, I believe that God is one, and that he is seen in many, and because of my Christian upbringing, I find it hard to pray to individual gods, because in my mind god is bigger than all of that.. Also, with Mantras, I feel more comfortable using an English mantra, or a mantra to Christ..

Even though I am not Christian I do think he is a god realized man, and maybe an incarnation of God. I also am familiar with his teachings and parables, and love--so mantras such as Om Christave Namaha, I can relate to.

Also, if I do mainly Vishnu mantras, is it okay to say some to Shiva as well? I know some traditionalist tell me that I can only stick to one, and that I must be initiated to a mantra.

When I say my mantras to Shiva I feel as if I am saying it to awaken the potential and God energy within me, when I say a mantra to Christ I feel as if I am asking myself to allowing me to love like Christ.

This is all so overwhelming, but exciting.

Thank you so much, I know this is a bit long.

Om Shanti.

-Tyler

Wow, that is a whole lot of questions in one post. Let me try my bit. As I see, our Trinity were not living beings, they never did. I do not know if anyone believes that our creator, Brahma, had actually lived on this planet. I personally believe that the Trimurti figures are used explain the cycle of birth, life and end of life.

It does not matter to whom you pray. As you said, there is just one God. According to the original aryan saying "aham brahmasmi", which means, I am God, or rather, there is God in me (each one of us). That is also the meaning of Namaste, I bow to the God in you. I find this quite logical.

It is just that because we are surrounded and bound by maya, we believe that each one of us separate from the others. But we all have a single origin, and the Hindu religion very well captures the essence of Darwin's theory of evolution. The various incarnations of Vishnu were described as the Fish God, then there was the Turtle God, then Vishnu in the form of the Pig God and so on. If we were all born of the same material, then it is fair to say that there is a single God. The energy present at the start of life, whenever that was, is as much in me as it is in you. As we pray and learn to breakdown the barriers created by upbringing, we realize that we are all one and the same. Then it does not matter whether you worship Vishnu or Shiva or Christ.

Saying a mantra to any God is the same if we all treated others as we would like to be treated. When we see the God in others that is also in us, we would have broken down the chains that maya imposes on us. To me, this concept of maya is the most wonderful concept man has ever conceived.

Did I answer any of your questions or raised even more? Let me assure you, I know much less than you do.

Peace.

i

Furthermore, in the religions that believe Shiva, and Vishnu and the Goddess are the supreme Godheads, do they feel as if they are the only "true" gods, or is it more so that the personality of those gods better suit their needs and they can relate to lets say, shiva over vishnu?

I would like to know this also. Coming from the West I have no particular allegiance to any specific deity, but I was wondering what it is like in India. Do the worshipers of each deity fight amongst one another or does it not even really matter?