Guest guest

Where do they come from then?

Jo

-

ashley_kayei

Vegan chat Its not a person

Saturday, September 12, 2009 12:19 AM

Re: silk?

too bad house spiders can't survive outside...but its a big step away from smooshing them. Its hard to change old habits, so good job!

Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device from U.S. Cellular

NATASHA HARHOLD Fri, 11 Sep 2009 19:04:58 -0400Re: silk?

Not really related to silk worms, but sort of. I am horrified of spiders. Always have been. We stopped eating meat back in December and I've been vegan (a struggling vegan, but working really hard at not consuming any animal products, period) for a good portion of that time. A year ago, had I seen a spider in the house I would have screamed and then killed it. I am proud to report that I found two (count 'em, two) spiders in the house last week while doing fall cleaning and I did not harm either one. I carefully caught them (without touching them - I'm compassionate but I'm still terrified of them) and took them outside to release them. One small step for spiders, one huge leap for me. Not cute or fluffy, but totally deserving of living a full life. As for not being able to anticipate danger or what not as was mentioned in regards to the silk worms, we really don't know what they know. Until very recently I would have been lambasted for claiming that my dogs have feelings. I would have been accused of anthropomorphizing. Science is proving more and more convincingly every day that animals do have feelings. So although small, the silk worm (and in my case, the spiders) may well have feelings that we are unaware of and they may actually have a sense of impending doom when some giant human is getting ready to kill them. I, therefore, avoid silk just as I avoid leather and wool and any other animal product. I've come to the realization that even the scariest and smallest of animals (in my case, spiders) deserves to live. I don't need to kill them to survive, so I don't.Missie Harholdand Gracie the Ibizan Houndand Jeanie the Greyhoundgreyhounddog (AT) earthlink (DOT) net"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to a man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not to die, so do other creatures."-Dalai Lama of Tibet, His Holiness, The XIV

Guest guest

I tried using honey on my patio to keep them out one summer, but no luck. I actually haven't had any ants for 2 years now. I did have a mouse who was after the tomatoes i had ripening on my counter so I got a no-kill trap and no matter what i put in it, the little stinker wouldn't take the bait. I named him Cheeky. I tried peanut butter, tomato, a nut and cheese, but he just laughed at me for thinking he'd fall for that. Eventually he left and I hope the next home he invaded didn't have some lethal method to disense with him. Thinking about those sticky traps make me shudder.Patricia--- On Sat, 9/12/09, jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork wrote:

jo.heartwork <jo.heartworkRe: silk? Date: Saturday, September 12, 2009, 3:01 AM

We found our kitchen covered in ants one morning because I had left the chopping board on the counter, where I had cut up melon to take to work. They love melon/juice. After that we just put the melon peel outside, and they enjoyed it out there, and didn't come in for the rest of the summer!

Jo

-

Patricia

Saturday, September 12, 2009 8:27 AM

I'll have to admit that I spray ants with vinegar if they invade my kitchen. I made a deal with them, I'll leave their habitat alone if they'll reciprocate, but if they renege, I'll get my spray bottle of white vinegar out and let them have it.Patricia--- On Fri, 9/11/09, NATASHA HARHOLD <greyhounddog@ earthlink. net> wrote:

NATASHA HARHOLD <greyhounddog@ earthlink. net>Re: silk?@gro ups.comFriday, September 11, 2009, 4:04 PM

Not really related to silk worms, but sort of. I am horrified of spiders. Always have been. We stopped eating meat back in December and I've been vegan (a struggling vegan, but working really hard at not consuming any animal products, period) for a good portion of that time. A year ago, had I seen a spider in the house I would have screamed and then killed it. I am proud to report that I found two (count 'em, two) spiders in the house last week while doing fall cleaning and I did not harm either one. I carefully caught them (without touching them - I'm compassionate but I'm still terrified of them) and took them outside to release them. One small step for spiders, one huge leap for me. Not cute or fluffy, but totally deserving of living a full life. As for not being able to anticipate danger or what not as was mentioned in regards to the silk worms, we really don't know what they know. Until very recently I would have been lambasted for claiming that my dogs have feelings. I would have been accused of anthropomorphizing. Science is proving more and more convincingly every day that animals do have feelings. So although small, the silk worm (and in my case, the spiders) may well have feelings that we are unaware of and they may actually have a sense of impending doom when some giant human is getting ready to kill them. I, therefore, avoid silk just as I avoid leather and wool and any other animal product. I've come to the realization that even the scariest and smallest of animals (in my case, spiders) deserves to live. I don't need to kill them to survive, so I don't.Missie Harholdand Gracie the Ibizan Houndand Jeanie the Greyhoundgreyhounddog@ earthlink. net"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to a man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not to die, so do other creatures."-Dalai Lama of Tibet, His Holiness, The XIV------------ --------- --------- ------To send an email to -unsubscr ibe

Guest guest

I've found the only way to keep mice out is to fill in all the tiny spaces round pipes etc. where they can get into the house.

JO

-

Patricia

Saturday, September 12, 2009 8:40 PM

I tried using honey on my patio to keep them out one summer, but no luck. I actually haven't had any ants for 2 years now. I did have a mouse who was after the tomatoes i had ripening on my counter so I got a no-kill trap and no matter what i put in it, the little stinker wouldn't take the bait. I named him Cheeky. I tried peanut butter, tomato, a nut and cheese, but he just laughed at me for thinking he'd fall for that. Eventually he left and I hope the next home he invaded didn't have some lethal method to disense with him. Thinking about those sticky traps make me shudder.Patricia--- On Sat, 9/12/09, jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork > wrote:

jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork >Re: silk? Date: Saturday, September 12, 2009, 3:01 AM

We found our kitchen covered in ants one morning because I had left the chopping board on the counter, where I had cut up melon to take to work. They love melon/juice. After that we just put the melon peel outside, and they enjoyed it out there, and didn't come in for the rest of the summer!

Jo

-

Patricia

I'll have to admit that I spray ants with vinegar if they invade my kitchen. I made a deal with them, I'll leave their habitat alone if they'll reciprocate, but if they renege, I'll get my spray bottle of white vinegar out and let them have it.Patricia--- On Fri, 9/11/09, NATASHA HARHOLD <greyhounddog@ earthlink. net> wrote:

NATASHA HARHOLD <greyhounddog@ earthlink. net>Re: silk?@gro ups.comFriday, September 11, 2009, 4:04 PM

Not really related to silk worms, but sort of. I am horrified of spiders. Always have been. We stopped eating meat back in December and I've been vegan (a struggling vegan, but working really hard at not consuming any animal products, period) for a good portion of that time. A year ago, had I seen a spider in the house I would have screamed and then killed it. I am proud to report that I found two (count 'em, two) spiders in the house last week while doing fall cleaning and I did not harm either one. I carefully caught them (without touching them - I'm compassionate but I'm still terrified of them) and took them outside to release them. One small step for spiders, one huge leap for me. Not cute or fluffy, but totally deserving of living a full life. As for not being able to anticipate danger or what not as was mentioned in regards to the silk worms, we really don't know what they know. Until very recently I would have been lambasted for claiming that my dogs have feelings. I would have been accused of anthropomorphizing. Science is proving more and more convincingly every day that animals do have feelings. So although small, the silk worm (and in my case, the spiders) may well have feelings that we are unaware of and they may actually have a sense of impending doom when some giant human is getting ready to kill them. I, therefore, avoid silk just as I avoid leather and wool and any other animal product. I've come to the realization that even the scariest and smallest of animals (in my case, spiders) deserves to live. I don't need to kill them to survive, so I don't.Missie Harholdand Gracie the Ibizan Houndand Jeanie the Greyhoundgreyhounddog@ earthlink. net"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to a man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not to die, so do other creatures."-Dalai Lama of Tibet, His Holiness, The XIV------------ --------- --------- ------To send an email to -unsubscr ibe

Guest guest

I really never figured out where he came from, but i enjoyed his visit.Patricia--- On Sat, 9/12/09, jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork wrote:jo.heartwork <jo.heartworkRe: silk? Date: Saturday, September 12, 2009, 2:30 PM

I've found the only way to keep mice out is to fill in all the tiny spaces round pipes etc. where they can get into the house.

JO

-

Patricia

Saturday, September 12, 2009 8:40 PM

I tried using honey on my patio to keep them out one summer, but no luck. I actually haven't had any ants for 2 years now. I did have a mouse who was after the tomatoes i had ripening on my counter so I got a no-kill trap and no matter what i put in it, the little stinker wouldn't take the bait. I named him Cheeky. I tried peanut butter, tomato, a nut and cheese, but he just laughed at me for thinking he'd fall for that. Eventually he left and I hope the next home he invaded didn't have some lethal method to disense with him. Thinking about those sticky traps make me shudder.Patricia--- On Sat, 9/12/09, jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com> wrote:

jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com>Re: silk?@gro ups.comSaturday, September 12, 2009, 3:01 AM

Jo

-

Patricia

@gro ups.com

Guest guest

I don't use silk, either. I have a few scarves I got before I became

vegan, and I plan to keep them. But I don't buy new silk. Well, except

for Silk coffee creamer. ;-)

Cheers,

Trish

Guest guest

>>>> I will say, I have a lot of trouble having much sympathy for a

worm. <<<<

I wonder if I could mention a few things that might give a new point of

view?

What if an alien species visited earth and thought humans were

disgusting. So, for fun, they get out their vaporizing guns and zap us

away. A few more ethically oriented aliens call them to task for it, and

they reply, " Well, geez, I have trouble having much sympathy for a

human. " How is this any different from a human looking down on insect

larvae?

Are we humans really of more value than insects? That's a question that

we're indoctrinated to believe has an easy answer. But when it gets down

to ethics, I can't justify it. Now, if I was given a choice of saving a

person or an insect, I'd probably go with my own species just because I

identify with my own. I'd be aware, though, that I'm making a choice

based on personal preference, not on the relative value of animals. My

understanding of the vegan perspective, (which might be in error -- I'm

no expert,) is compassion for all animals, even small segmented ones.

Cheers,

Trish

Guest guest

>>>> I carefully caught them (without touching them - I'm compassionate

but I'm still terrified of them) and took them outside to release them.

One small step for spiders, one huge leap for me. Not cute or fluffy,

but totally deserving of living a full life. <<<<

Yay! Good for you.

We've been the catch-insects types for years, and keep plastic cups

handy for inviting them to live outside. Generally we let spiders stay

inside as long as they aren't really big or get in our faces.

But once I started keeping Madagascar hissing cockroaches in my

classroom, I really got to like spiders and insects. Holding a big old

bug gets you over the heebie jeebies pretty quickly.

I also teach my students to leave the Oregon jumping spiders alone.

They're small, hairy and look like little tarantulas, and they like to

live in windowsills. It's a good teachable moment. After awhile the kids

get used to the idea and don't recoil in horror if a jumping spider

decides to take a walk along the ceiling tiles.

Cheers,

Trish

Guest guest

At 4:05 PM -0700 9/12/09, bantrymoon wrote:

>What if an alien species visited earth and thought humans were

>disgusting. ...

Reminds me of a great short science fiction story I read years ago.

Forgot the author -- it was all dialogue, two aliens discussing the

life forms they found on a new planet. The first alien says, " They're

made of meat. " The other alien, incredulous, asks a lot of questions

-- are their brains made of meat? do they do things with meat? Do

they think with meat? C'mon, you must be kidding. The first alien

says, yes, they're all meat.

Guest guest

What do you do when you see a cockroach?Patricia--- On Sat, 9/12/09, bantrymoon <bantrymoon wrote:bantrymoon <bantrymoon Re: silk? Date: Saturday, September 12, 2009, 4:05 PM >>>> I will say, I have a lot of trouble having much sympathy for a worm. <<<<I wonder if I could mention a few things that might give a new point of view?What if an alien species visited earth and thought humans were disgusting. So, for fun, they get out their vaporizing guns and zap us away. A few more

ethically oriented aliens call them to task for it, and they reply, "Well, geez, I have trouble having much sympathy for a human." How is this any different from a human looking down on insect larvae?Are we humans really of more value than insects? That's a question that we're indoctrinated to believe has an easy answer. But when it gets down to ethics, I can't justify it. Now, if I was given a choice of saving a person or an insect, I'd probably go with my own species just because I identify with my own. I'd be aware, though, that I'm making a choice based on personal preference, not on the relative value of animals. My understanding of the vegan perspective, (which might be in error -- I'm no expert,) is compassion for all animals, even small segmented ones.Cheers,Trish---To send an email to -! Groups Links<*> /<*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional<*> To change settings online go to: /join ( ID required)<*> To change settings via email: -digest -fullfeatured <*>

Guest guest

I don't know - what do you do when you see a cockroach?

Jo

-

Patricia

Sunday, September 13, 2009 6:37 AM

Re: Re: silk?

What do you do when you see a cockroach?Patricia--- On Sat, 9/12/09, bantrymoon <bantrymoon (AT) comcast (DOT) net> wrote:

bantrymoon <bantrymoon (AT) comcast (DOT) net> Re: silk? Date: Saturday, September 12, 2009, 4:05 PM

>>>> I will say, I have a lot of trouble having much sympathy for a worm. <<<<I wonder if I could mention a few things that might give a new point of view?What if an alien species visited earth and thought humans were disgusting. So, for fun, they get out their vaporizing guns and zap us away. A few more ethically oriented aliens call them to task for it, and they reply, "Well, geez, I have trouble having much sympathy for a human." How is this any different from a human looking down on insect larvae?Are we humans really of more value than insects? That's a question that we're indoctrinated to believe has an easy answer. But when it gets down to ethics, I can't justify it. Now, if I was given a choice of saving a person or an insect, I'd probably go with my own species just because I identify with my own. I'd be aware, though, that I'm making a choice based on personal preference, not on the relative value of animals. My understanding of the vegan perspective, (which might be in error -- I'm no expert,) is compassion for all animals, even small segmented ones.Cheers,Trish---To send an email to -

Guest guest

If it's in my house, I'll kill it. Fortunately I don't have any where I live now.Patricia--- On Sun, 9/13/09, jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork wrote:jo.heartwork <jo.heartworkRe: Re: silk? Date: Sunday, September 13, 2009, 12:10 AM

I don't know - what do you do when you see a cockroach?

Jo

-

Patricia

Sunday, September 13, 2009 6:37 AM

Re: Re: silk?

What do you do when you see a cockroach?Patricia--- On Sat, 9/12/09, bantrymoon <bantrymoon (AT) comcast (DOT) net> wrote:

bantrymoon <bantrymoon (AT) comcast (DOT) net> Re: silk?@gro ups.comSaturday, September 12, 2009, 4:05 PM

>>>> I will say, I have a lot of trouble having much sympathy for a worm. <<<<I wonder if I could mention a few things that might give a new point of view?What if an alien species visited earth and thought humans were disgusting. So, for fun, they get out their vaporizing guns and zap us away. A few more ethically oriented aliens call them to task for it, and they reply, "Well, geez, I have trouble having much sympathy for a human." How is this any different from a human looking down on insect larvae?Are we humans really of more value than insects? That's a question that we're indoctrinated to believe has an easy answer. But when it gets down to ethics, I can't justify it. Now, if I was given a choice of saving a person or an insect, I'd probably go with my own species just because I identify with my own. I'd be aware, though, that I'm making a choice based on personal preference, not on the relative value of animals. My understanding of the vegan perspective, (which might be in error -- I'm no expert,) is compassion for all animals, even small segmented ones.Cheers,Trish------------ --------- --------- ------To send an email to -unsubscr ibe

Guest guest

Terry Bisson....

i read that back in high school

yarrow Sep 12, 2009 11:17 PM Re: silk?

At 4:05 PM -0700 9/12/09, bantrymoon wrote:>What if an alien species visited earth and thought humans were>disgusting. ...Reminds me of a great short science fiction story I read years ago. Forgot the author -- it was all dialogue, two aliens discussing the life forms they found on a new planet. The first alien says, "They're made of meat." The other alien, incredulous, asks a lot of questions -- are their brains made of meat? do they do things with meat? Do they think with meat? C'mon, you must be kidding. The first alien says, yes, they're all meat.

"Hobbes: Do you think there's a God? Calvin: Well, SOMEBODY'S out to get me."

Guest guest

People who can't feel sympathy for a chicken obviously have never spent much time around one. They are such friendly, intelligent, comical little creatures and they love to interact with humans.

Opalline

On Behalf Of Blue Rose11 September 2009 21:40 Subject: Re: silk?

That's typically what I hear about chicken and fish...sometimes even cows.

"This e-mail is intended for the recipient only. If you are not theintended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print,or rely upon this e-mail. If an addressing or transmission error hasmisdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail."

"Recipients should note that all e-mail traffic on MOD systems issubject to monitoring and auditing."

Guest guest

*boggles*

OK now that's just retarded. There are some right braindeads out there *sigh*

Opalline

On Behalf Of Blue Rose11 September 2009 22:13 Subject: Re: silk?

I actually had someone tell me that they were fine with eating a chicken since it could survive with its head cut off, and if it was that stupid, they felt no guilt about it.

"This e-mail is intended for the recipient only. If you are not theintended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print,or rely upon this e-mail. If an addressing or transmission error hasmisdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail."

"Recipients should note that all e-mail traffic on MOD systems issubject to monitoring and auditing."

Guest guest

I am so bored of having to explain to people (especially restaurants) that no, vegetarians do not eat fish. No, they don't eat shellfish either. Yes, really. No, just because your sister's friend calls herself a veggie and eats prawns, that doesn't make me wrong. It makes her a pescatarian. No, picking out the prawns before I eat it won't do.

And that's just while I was veggie and could at least have cheese! I can't wait until I try eating out now I've gone vegan... it's going to be painful!

*sigh*

Opalline

On Behalf Of Blue Rose11 September 2009 22:45 Subject: Re: silk?

I knew someone who called herself a "modified vegetarian" because she didn't eat red meat. Chicken and seafood she ate.*facepalmheaddeskohthehumanity*

Guest guest

It is harder eating out as a vegan than as a vegetarian, but if you go for Asian food (Indian, Chinese and Thai are my favourites) and ring ahead, it's usually doable. If all else fails, or it's a spur-of-the moment decision, a baked potato with baked beans and salad is a lifesaver. Sometimes, I just have a mixture of side dishes and salad with some chips.

Bon appetit!

Kathleen

Underwood-Fowler Cindy <CDUFOWLER Sent: Monday, 14 September, 2009 10:18:04RE: silk?

I am so bored of having to explain to people (especially restaurants) that no, vegetarians do not eat fish. No, they don't eat shellfish either. Yes, really. No, just because your sister's friend calls herself a veggie and eats prawns, that doesn't make me wrong. It makes her a pescatarian. No, picking out the prawns before I eat it won't do.

And that's just while I was veggie and could at least have cheese! I can't wait until I try eating out now I've gone vegan... it's going to be painful!

*sigh*

Opalline

@gro ups.com [vegan_ chat@ .com] On Behalf Of Blue Rose11 September 2009 22:45@gro ups.comRe: silk?

I knew someone who called herself a "modified vegetarian" because she didn't eat red meat. Chicken and seafood she ate.*facepalmheaddeskoh thehumanity*

Guest guest

You wrote:If all else fails, or it's a spur-of-the moment decision, a baked potato with baked beans and salad is a lifesaver. Me:I'm not sure about your part of the world, but in the US watch it with the baked beans. They are often made with bacon. I've found a lot of spanish rice in Mexican restaurants around here is made with chicken broth (so watch that, too <vbg>). Before going vegan, I loved Broccoli Cheddar soup (I still do, I'm sure, but I avoid it). I found that a lot of restaurants made that with chicken broth, too. Who knew?Missie Harholdand Gracie the Ibizan Houndand Jeanie the Greyhoundgreyhounddog"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to a man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not to die, so do other creatures." -Dalai Lama of Tibet, His Holiness, The XIV

Guest guest

So far when I've eaten out (which has not been much!) all I've managed to find

was salad, which is fine in the summer, such as it was, but come the winter I

shall be wanting something a bit more substantial than that! Even the salad I

had to send back because they'd drizzled mayo over it. D'oh!!

Bex

>

> ________________________________

>

> On

> Behalf Of Blue Rose

> 11 September 2009 22:45

>

> Re: silk?

>

>

>

>

>

> I knew someone who called herself a " modified vegetarian " because she

> didn't eat red meat. Chicken and seafood she ate.

>

> *facepalmheaddeskohthehumanity*

>

> .

>

> <http://geo./serv?s=97359714/grpId=3577209/grpspId=1705129295/m

> sgId=64084/stime=1252705517/nc1=1/nc2=2/nc3=3>

>

>

>

> " This e-mail is intended for the recipient only. If you are not the

> intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print,

> or rely upon this e-mail. If an addressing or transmission error has

> misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail. "

>

> " Recipients should note that all e-mail traffic on MOD systems is

> subject to monitoring and auditing. "

>

Guest guest

I wish I could have a couple of hens.Patricia--- On Mon, 9/14/09, Underwood-Fowler Cindy <CDUFOWLER wrote:Underwood-Fowler Cindy <CDUFOWLERRE: silk? Date: Monday, September 14, 2009, 2:05 AM

People who can't feel sympathy for a chicken obviously have never spent much time around one. They are such friendly, intelligent, comical little creatures and they love to interact with humans.

Opalline

On Behalf Of Blue Rose11 September 2009 21:40 Subject: Re: silk?

Guest guest

I'm not sure where you live US or UK but there is a group called Freecycle () where everything is free. If you get on it explains what it is and how to find a local group. I acquired a few hens that way. Chickens are funny... CeAnne--- On Mon, 9/14/09, Patricia <moondreamer64_2000 wrote:Patricia <moondreamer64_2000RE: silk? Date: Monday, September 14, 2009, 10:20 AM

I wish I could have a couple of hens.Patricia--- On Mon, 9/14/09, Underwood-Fowler Cindy <CDUFOWLER (AT) mail (DOT) dstl.gov. uk> wrote:Underwood-Fowler Cindy <CDUFOWLER (AT) mail (DOT) dstl.gov. uk>RE: silk?@gro ups.comMonday, September 14, 2009, 2:05 AM

Opalline

@gro ups.com [vegan_ chat@ .com] On Behalf Of Blue Rose11 September 2009 21:40@gro ups.comRe: silk?

Guest guest

Lots of places will cook something that is vegan, or will leave the offending item out. Good luck.

Jo

-

Underwood-Fowler Cindy

Monday, September 14, 2009 10:18 AM

RE: silk?

*sigh*

Opalline

On Behalf Of Blue Rose11 September 2009 22:45 Subject: Re: silk?

I knew someone who called herself a "modified vegetarian" because she didn't eat red meat. Chicken and seafood she ate.*facepalmheaddeskohthehumanity*

Guest guest

We eat out fairly often - most often at vegetarian restaurants. Yesterday evening we had a meal at Sands in Bristol. It is a Lenanese place. We had a variety of mezze - everything was totally delicious, although quite expensive. I would definitely recommend it for a treat though

Jo

-

pinkerbex

Monday, September 14, 2009 4:59 PM

So far when I've eaten out (which has not been much!) all I've managed to find was salad, which is fine in the summer, such as it was, but come the winter I shall be wanting something a bit more substantial than that! Even the salad I had to send back because they'd drizzled mayo over it. D'oh!!Bex> > ________________________________> > On> Behalf Of Blue Rose> 11 September 2009 22:45> > Re: silk?> > > > > > I knew someone who called herself a "modified vegetarian" because she> didn't eat red meat. Chicken and seafood she ate.> > *facepalmheaddeskohthehumanity*> > .> > <http://geo./serv?s=97359714/grpId=3577209/grpspId=1705129295/m> sgId=64084/stime=1252705517/nc1=1/nc2=2/nc3=3> > > > > "This e-mail is intended for the recipient only. If you are not the> intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print,> or rely upon this e-mail. If an addressing or transmission error has> misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail."> > "Recipients should note that all e-mail traffic on MOD systems is> subject to monitoring and auditing.">

Guest guest

Hopefully they don't deal with animals - they certainly don't in this area.

Jo

-

CeAnne Jacques

Monday, September 14, 2009 5:27 PM

RE: silk?

I'm not sure where you live US or UK but there is a group called Freecycle () where everything is free. If you get on it explains what it is and how to find a local group. I acquired a few hens that way. Chickens are funny... CeAnne--- On Mon, 9/14/09, Patricia <moondreamer64_2000 > wrote:

Patricia <moondreamer64_2000 >RE: silk? Date: Monday, September 14, 2009, 10:20 AM

I wish I could have a couple of hens.Patricia--- On Mon, 9/14/09, Underwood-Fowler Cindy <CDUFOWLER (AT) mail (DOT) dstl.gov. uk> wrote:

Underwood-Fowler Cindy <CDUFOWLER (AT) mail (DOT) dstl.gov. uk>RE: silk?@gro ups.comMonday, September 14, 2009, 2:05 AM

Opalline

@gro ups.com [vegan_ chat@ .com] On Behalf Of Blue Rose11 September 2009 21:40@gro ups.comRe: silk?

Guest guest

Unfortunately, I can't keep chickens where I live.Patricia--- On Mon, 9/14/09, CeAnne Jacques <ceannetj wrote:CeAnne Jacques <ceannetjRE: silk? Date: Monday, September 14, 2009, 9:27 AM

I'm not sure where you live US or UK but there is a group called Freecycle () where everything is free. If you get on it explains what it is and how to find a local group. I acquired a few hens that way. Chickens are funny... CeAnne--- On Mon, 9/14/09, Patricia <moondreamer64_2000 wrote:Patricia <moondreamer64_2000RE: silk? Date: Monday, September 14, 2009, 10:20 AM

I wish I could have a couple of hens.Patricia--- On Mon, 9/14/09, Underwood-Fowler Cindy <CDUFOWLER (AT) mail (DOT) dstl.gov. uk> wrote:Underwood-Fowler Cindy <CDUFOWLER (AT) mail (DOT) dstl.gov. uk>RE: silk?@gro ups.comMonday, September 14, 2009, 2:05 AM

Opalline

Guest guest

I think people start to keep chickens without thinking about the hard work

involved. Apart from the money on providing suitable shelter and fencing (don't

forget most hen keepers clip the hens' wings - which isn't really fair) hens get

lice and other parasites that need to be dealt with on a very regular basis -

with pesticides. I believe the recommendation is to thoroughly dust the hens to

de-louse them every six weeks. This means holding them upside down so that the

pesticide powder goes into all their feathers. Their hutches, runs need to be

cleaned out every day, and sometimes fumigated to rid them of red mites.

Sometimes the hens catch diseases from the wild birds and need to be treated

with antibiotics. All this costs money, takes up time, and introduces poisons

into your environment.

There is also the problem of neighbours complaining about the noise. Even if

you don't have a cockerel the hens still make quite a bit of noise, and one

friend of mine had to get rid of her hens because of complaints by neighbours.

You also need to check with your local authority (in the UK) whether you can

keep hens. Often there is some by-law against it.

Anyway - all worth thinking about before buying hens.

Jo

, Patricia <moondreamer64_2000 wrote:

>

> Unfortunately, I can't keep chickens where I live.

>

> Patricia

>

> --- On Mon, 9/14/09, CeAnne Jacques <ceannetj wrote:

>

> CeAnne Jacques <ceannetj

> RE: silk?

>

> Monday, September 14, 2009, 9:27 AM

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

I'm not sure where you live US or UK but there is a group called Freecycle

() where everything is free.  If you get on it explains what it is

and how to find a local group. 

> I acquired a few hens that way.  Chickens are funny... CeAnne

>

> --- On Mon, 9/14/09, Patricia <moondreamer64_2000 wrote:

>

> Patricia <moondreamer64_2000

>

> Monday, September 14, 2009, 10:20 AM

>

>

> I wish I could have a couple of hens.

>

> Patricia

>

> --- On Mon, 9/14/09, Underwood-Fowler Cindy <CDUFOWLER (AT) mail (DOT) dstl.gov. uk>

wrote:

>

> Underwood-Fowler Cindy <CDUFOWLER (AT) mail (DOT) dstl.gov. uk>

> @gro ups.com

> Monday, September 14, 2009, 2:05 AM

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

People who can't feel sympathy for a chicken obviously have

> never spent much time around one. They are such friendly, intelligent, comical

> little creatures and they love to interact with humans.

> Opalline

>

>  

>

>

> @gro ups.com

> [vegan_ chat@ .com] On Behalf Of Blue

> Rose

> 11 September 2009 21:40

> To:

> @gro ups.com

> Re: