IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

silk?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hello,

Do any of you wear silk? I purchased long underwear years ago made from silk.

But normally I don't wear or buy anything made from silk.

I never really thought about how silk was made. But I recently read an article

that silk worms are boiled alive before the silk is spun from the cocoon. There

is supposed to be a company that waits until the moth is fully grown and hatches

out of the cocoon. The company is called Ahimsa Peace Silk. I was googling

them and read a few more articles. One said that the way this company raises

silk worms, the young are starved to death. I don't understand all of this

though!

There are at least two companies that make organic cruelty free lotions and such

with silk in them. Aubrey Organics Silken Earth and Shea

Terra Organics.

Guest guest

I don't have any silk now. I used to have a couple of silk shirts but they are

long gone. My husband still has a silk shirt from many years ago.

I think really, as the silk comes from an animal, it doesn't really matter

whether it is produced 'kindly' it is still not vegan.

I would wear your silk clothes until they wear out though - no good in wasting

products once you have them.

Jo

, " damselfly40 " <damselfly wrote:

>

> Hello,

> Do any of you wear silk? I purchased long underwear years ago made from silk.

But normally I don't wear or buy anything made from silk.

> I never really thought about how silk was made. But I recently read an

article that silk worms are boiled alive before the silk is spun from the

cocoon. There is supposed to be a company that waits until the moth is fully

grown and hatches out of the cocoon. The company is called Ahimsa Peace Silk.

I was googling them and read a few more articles. One said that the way this

company raises silk worms, the young are starved to death. I don't understand

all of this though!

> There are at least two companies that make organic cruelty free lotions and

such with silk in them. Aubrey Organics Silken Earth and Shea

> Terra Organics.

>

Guest guest

I personally don't use silk at all.With those companies that claim to be " cruelty free " , but use silk, it may be worth asking them how the silk is produced... they may simply not consider issues of " cruelty " to extend to invertibrates...

It's rather unfortunate that the term " cruelty free " has no legal definition, and therefore can technically be put on product packaging by anyone, regardless of how accurate the statement may be.

BBPeter2009/9/11 damselfly40 <damselfly

Hello,

Do any of you wear silk?  I purchased long underwear years ago made from silk.  But normally I don't wear or buy anything made from silk.

I never really thought about how silk was made.  But I recently read an article that silk worms are boiled alive before the silk is spun from the cocoon.  There is supposed to be a company that waits until the moth is fully grown and hatches out of the cocoon.  The company is called Ahimsa Peace Silk.  I was googling them and read a few more articles.  One said that the way this company raises silk worms, the young are starved to death.  I don't understand all of this though!

There are at least two companies that make organic cruelty free lotions and such with silk in them.  Aubrey Organics Silken Earth and Shea

Terra Organics.

---

To send an email to -! Groups Links

<*>

/

<*> Your email settings:

Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

/join

( ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:

-digest

-fullfeatured

<*>

Guest guest

never have owned or worn anything silk. so can't help you there....

as for Aubrey Organics Silken Earth, never heard of em. i did a quick check of their website, and couldn't find where it said "cruelty free". they talk about "natural" and "organics" and fair trade and the like..but i didn't find cruelty free

and yes, silk is harvested by boiling the coccoons of silk caterpillars/moths. with the pupae of the moth in there of course. yeah, i heard of some company which supposedly just unwinds the silk, but i really know nothing about it.

damselfly40 Sep 11, 2009 1:16 AM silk?

Hello,Do any of you wear silk? I purchased long underwear years ago made from silk. But normally I don't wear or buy anything made from silk.I never really thought about how silk was made. But I recently read an article that silk worms are boiled alive before the silk is spun from the cocoon. There is supposed to be a company that waits until the moth is fully grown and hatches out of the cocoon. The company is called Ahimsa Peace Silk. I was googling them and read a few more articles. One said that the way this company raises silk worms, the young are starved to death. I don't understand all of this though!There are at least two companies that make organic cruelty free lotions and such with silk in them. Aubrey Organics Silken Earth and SheaTerra Organics.

"Hobbes: Do you think there's a God? Calvin: Well, SOMEBODY'S out to get me."

Guest guest

I will say, I have a lot of trouble having much sympathy for a worm.Patricia--- On Thu, 9/10/09, Peter Kebbell <metalscarab wrote:Peter Kebbell <metalscarabRe: silk? Date: Thursday, September 10, 2009, 11:57 PM

I personally don't use silk at all.With those companies that claim to be "cruelty free", but use silk, it may be worth asking them how the silk is produced... they may simply not consider issues of "cruelty" to extend to invertibrates...

It's rather unfortunate that the term "cruelty free" has no legal definition, and therefore can technically be put on product packaging by anyone, regardless of how accurate the statement may be.

Hello,

Do any of you wear silk? I purchased long underwear years ago made from silk. But normally I don't wear or buy anything made from silk.

I never really thought about how silk was made. But I recently read an article that silk worms are boiled alive before the silk is spun from the cocoon. There is supposed to be a company that waits until the moth is fully grown and hatches out of the cocoon. The company is called Ahimsa Peace Silk. I was googling them and read a few more articles. One said that the way this company raises silk worms, the young are starved to death. I don't understand all of this though!

There are at least two companies that make organic cruelty free lotions and such with silk in them. Aubrey Organics Silken Earth and Shea

Terra Organics.

---

<*>

/

<*> Your email settings:

/join

( ID required)

-digest

-fullfeatured

<*>

Guest guest

i'm sure thats just what the Xenon's from crab nebula 4 will say about us...

*sigh*

Patricia Sep 11, 2009 3:13 PM Re: silk?

I will say, I have a lot of trouble having much sympathy for a worm.Patricia--- On Thu, 9/10/09, Peter Kebbell <metalscarab > wrote:

Peter Kebbell <metalscarab >Re: silk? Date: Thursday, September 10, 2009, 11:57 PM

I personally don't use silk at all.With those companies that claim to be "cruelty free", but use silk, it may be worth asking them how the silk is produced... they may simply not consider issues of "cruelty" to extend to invertibrates...It's rather unfortunate that the term "cruelty free" has no legal definition, and therefore can technically be put on product packaging by anyone, regardless of how accurate the statement may be.BBPeter

2009/9/11 damselfly40 <damselfly (AT) mosquitonet (DOT) com>

Hello,Do any of you wear silk? I purchased long underwear years ago made from silk. But normally I don't wear or buy anything made from silk.I never really thought about how silk was made. But I recently read an article that silk worms are boiled alive before the silk is spun from the cocoon. There is supposed to be a company that waits until the moth is fully grown and hatches out of the cocoon. The company is called Ahimsa Peace Silk. I was googling them and read a few more articles. One said that the way this company raises silk worms, the young are starved to death. I don't understand all of this though!There are at least two companies that make organic cruelty free lotions and such with silk in them. Aubrey Organics Silken Earth and SheaTerra Organics.---To send an email to -

Guest guest

That's typically what I hear about chicken and fish...sometimes even cows.On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 3:13 PM, Patricia <moondreamer64_2000 wrote:

I will say, I have a lot of trouble having much sympathy for a worm.Patricia--- On Thu, 9/10/09, Peter Kebbell <metalscarab wrote:

Peter Kebbell <metalscarabRe: silk?

Date: Thursday, September 10, 2009, 11:57 PM

I personally don't use silk at all.With those companies that claim to be " cruelty free " , but use silk, it may be worth asking them how the silk is produced... they may simply not consider issues of " cruelty " to extend to invertibrates...

It's rather unfortunate that the term " cruelty free " has no legal definition, and therefore can technically be put on product packaging by anyone, regardless of how accurate the statement may be.

Hello,

Do any of you wear silk?  I purchased long underwear years ago made from silk.  But normally I don't wear or buy anything made from silk.

I never really thought about how silk was made.  But I recently read an article that silk worms are boiled alive before the silk is spun from the cocoon.  There is supposed to be a company that waits until the moth is fully grown and hatches out of the cocoon.  The company is called Ahimsa Peace Silk.  I was googling them and read a few more articles.  One said that the way this company raises silk worms, the young are starved to death.  I don't understand all of this though!

There are at least two companies that make organic cruelty free lotions and such with silk in them.  Aubrey Organics Silken Earth and Shea

Terra Organics.

---

<*>

/

<*> Your email settings:

/join

( ID required)

-digest

-fullfeatured

<*>

Guest guest

That just might be true.Patricia--- On Fri, 9/11/09, fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:fraggle <EBbrewpunxRe: silk? Date: Friday, September 11, 2009, 1:33 PM

i'm sure thats just what the Xenon's from crab nebula 4 will say about us...

*sigh*

Patricia Sep 11, 2009 3:13 PM Re: silk?

I will say, I have a lot of trouble having much sympathy for a worm.Patricia--- On Thu, 9/10/09, Peter Kebbell <metalscarab@ gmail.com> wrote:

Peter Kebbell <metalscarab@ gmail.com>Re: silk?@gro ups.comThursday, September 10, 2009, 11:57 PM

I personally don't use silk at all.With those companies that claim to be "cruelty free", but use silk, it may be worth asking them how the silk is produced... they may simply not consider issues of "cruelty" to extend to invertibrates. ..It's rather unfortunate that the term "cruelty free" has no legal definition, and therefore can technically be put on product packaging by anyone, regardless of how accurate the statement may be.BBPeter

2009/9/11 damselfly40 <damselfly@mosquiton et.com>

Hello,Do any of you wear silk? I purchased long underwear years ago made from silk. But normally I don't wear or buy anything made from silk.I never really thought about how silk was made. But I recently read an article that silk worms are boiled alive before the silk is spun from the cocoon. There is supposed to be a company that waits until the moth is fully grown and hatches out of the cocoon. The company is called Ahimsa Peace Silk. I was googling them and read a few more articles. One said that the way this company raises silk worms, the young are starved to death. I don't understand all of this though!There are at least two companies that make organic cruelty free lotions and such with silk in them. Aubrey Organics Silken Earth and SheaTerra Organics.------------ ---------

--------- ------To send an email to -unsubscr ibe

Guest guest

I would never think that about them. Maybe it's because those animals can anticipate what is going to happen to them and feel horrible fear and pain, but the worms are spared at least that horrible dread of their impending death and hopefully that death is swift.Patricia--- On Fri, 9/11/09, Blue Rose <bluerose156 wrote:Blue Rose <bluerose156Re: silk? Date: Friday, September 11, 2009, 1:39 PM

That's typically what I hear about chicken and fish...sometimes even cows.On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 3:13 PM, Patricia <moondreamer64_2000 wrote:

I will say, I have a lot of trouble having much sympathy for a worm.Patricia--- On Thu, 9/10/09, Peter Kebbell <metalscarab wrote:

Peter Kebbell <metalscarabRe: silk?

I personally don't use silk at all.With those companies that claim to be "cruelty free", but use silk, it may be worth asking them how the silk is produced... they may simply not consider issues of "cruelty" to extend to invertibrates...

It's rather unfortunate that the term "cruelty free" has no legal definition, and therefore can technically be put on product packaging by anyone, regardless of how accurate the statement may be.

Hello,

Do any of you wear silk? I purchased long underwear years ago made from silk. But normally I don't wear or buy anything made from silk.

I never really thought about how silk was made. But I recently read an article that silk worms are boiled alive before the silk is spun from the cocoon. There is supposed to be a company that waits until the moth is fully grown and hatches out of the cocoon. The company is called Ahimsa Peace Silk. I was googling them and read a few more articles. One said that the way this company raises silk worms, the young are starved to death. I don't understand all of this though!

There are at least two companies that make organic cruelty free lotions and such with silk in them. Aubrey Organics Silken Earth and Shea

Terra Organics.

---

<*>

/

<*> Your email settings:

/join

( ID required)

-digest

-fullfeatured

<*>

Guest guest

I actually had someone tell me that they were fine with eating a chicken since it could survive with its head cut off, and if it was that stupid, they felt no guilt about it.I can't make this shit up.

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 5:10 PM, Patricia <moondreamer64_2000 wrote:

I would never think that about them. Maybe it's because those animals can anticipate what is going to happen to them and feel horrible fear and pain, but the worms are spared at least that horrible dread of their impending death and hopefully that death is swift.

Patricia--- On Fri, 9/11/09, Blue Rose <bluerose156 wrote:

Blue Rose <bluerose156

Re: silk? Date: Friday, September 11, 2009, 1:39 PM

Peter Kebbell <metalscarab

Re: silk?

Hello,

Terra Organics.

---

<*>

/

<*> Your email settings:

/join

( ID required)

-digest

-fullfeatured

<*>

Guest guest

I've heard things like that and also it isn't considered meat.Patricia--- On Fri, 9/11/09, Blue Rose <bluerose156 wrote:Blue Rose <bluerose156Re: silk? Date: Friday, September 11, 2009, 2:12 PM

I actually had someone tell me that they were fine with eating a chicken since it could survive with its head cut off, and if it was that stupid, they felt no guilt about it.I can't make this shit up.

I would never think that about them. Maybe it's because those animals can anticipate what is going to happen to them and feel horrible fear and pain, but the worms are spared at least that horrible dread of their impending death and hopefully that death is swift.

Blue Rose <bluerose156

Hello,

Terra Organics.

---

<*>

/

<*> Your email settings:

/join

( ID required)

-digest

-fullfeatured

<*>

Guest guest

I knew someone who called herself a " modified vegetarian " because she didn't eat red meat. Chicken and seafood she ate.*facepalmheaddeskohthehumanity*On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 5:41 PM, Patricia <moondreamer64_2000 wrote:

I've heard things like that and also it isn't considered meat.Patricia--- On Fri, 9/11/09, Blue Rose <bluerose156 wrote:

Blue Rose <bluerose156

Re: silk? Date: Friday, September 11, 2009, 2:12 PM

Blue Rose <bluerose156

Hello,

Terra Organics.

---

<*>

/

<*> Your email settings:

/join

( ID required)

-digest

-fullfeatured

<*>

Guest guest

True.Patricia--- On Fri, 9/11/09, Peter Kebbell <metalscarab wrote:Peter Kebbell <metalscarabRe: silk? Date: Friday, September 11, 2009, 2:44 PM

Well, if killing something because it's stupid is a valid reason, the folks who say things like that should be getting very worried!!!BBPeter2009/9/11 Blue Rose <bluerose156

Blue Rose <bluerose156

Hello,

Terra Organics.

---

<*>

/

<*> Your email settings:

/join

( ID required)

-digest

-fullfeatured

<*>

Guest guest

Yes, I know many people like that. When I had surgery and told them I was a vegetarian, they asked if I ate fish and chicken, they even brought me Jello! Some dietitian.Patricia--- On Fri, 9/11/09, Blue Rose <bluerose156 wrote:Blue Rose <bluerose156Re: silk? Date: Friday, September 11, 2009, 2:44 PM

I knew someone who called herself a "modified vegetarian" because she didn't eat red meat. Chicken and seafood she ate.*facepalmheaddeskohthehumanity*On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 5:41 PM, Patricia <moondreamer64_2000 wrote:

I've heard things like that and also it isn't considered meat.Patricia--- On Fri, 9/11/09, Blue Rose <bluerose156 wrote:

Blue Rose <bluerose156

Re: silk? Date: Friday, September 11, 2009, 2:12 PM

Blue Rose <bluerose156

Hello,

Terra Organics.

---

<*>

/

<*> Your email settings:

/join

( ID required)

-digest

-fullfeatured

<*>

Guest guest

Admittedly it isn't fluffy and pretty, but it has its own life to lead.

Jo

-

Patricia

Friday, September 11, 2009 8:13 PM

I will say, I have a lot of trouble having much sympathy for a worm.Patricia--- On Thu, 9/10/09, Peter Kebbell <metalscarab > wrote:

Peter Kebbell <metalscarab >Re: silk? Date: Thursday, September 10, 2009, 11:57 PM

I personally don't use silk at all.With those companies that claim to be "cruelty free", but use silk, it may be worth asking them how the silk is produced... they may simply not consider issues of "cruelty" to extend to invertibrates...It's rather unfortunate that the term "cruelty free" has no legal definition, and therefore can technically be put on product packaging by anyone, regardless of how accurate the statement may be.BBPeter

Hello,Do any of you wear silk? I purchased long underwear years ago made from silk. But normally I don't wear or buy anything made from silk.I never really thought about how silk was made. But I recently read an article that silk worms are boiled alive before the silk is spun from the cocoon. There is supposed to be a company that waits until the moth is fully grown and hatches out of the cocoon. The company is called Ahimsa Peace Silk. I was googling them and read a few more articles. One said that the way this company raises silk worms, the young are starved to death. I don't understand all of this though!There are at least two companies that make organic cruelty free lotions and such with silk in them. Aubrey Organics Silken Earth and SheaTerra Organics.---To send an email to -

Guest guest

I know - people say 'they are only animals'!!!

Jo

-

Blue Rose

Friday, September 11, 2009 9:39 PM

That's typically what I hear about chicken and fish...sometimes even cows.

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 3:13 PM, Patricia <moondreamer64_2000 > wrote:

Peter Kebbell <metalscarab >Re: silk?

Guest guest

Not really related to silk worms, but sort of. I am horrified of

spiders. Always have been. We stopped eating meat back in December

and I've been vegan (a struggling vegan, but working really hard at

not consuming any animal products, period) for a good portion of that

time. A year ago, had I seen a spider in the house I would have

screamed and then killed it. I am proud to report that I found two

(count 'em, two) spiders in the house last week while doing fall

cleaning and I did not harm either one. I carefully caught them

(without touching them - I'm compassionate but I'm still terrified of

them) and took them outside to release them. One small step for

spiders, one huge leap for me. Not cute or fluffy, but totally

deserving of living a full life. As for not being able to anticipate

danger or what not as was mentioned in regards to the silk worms, we

really don't know what they know. Until very recently I would have

been lambasted for claiming that my dogs have feelings. I would have

been accused of anthropomorphizing. Science is proving more and more

convincingly every day that animals do have feelings. So although

small, the silk worm (and in my case, the spiders) may well have

feelings that we are unaware of and they may actually have a sense of

impending doom when some giant human is getting ready to kill them.

I, therefore, avoid silk just as I avoid leather and wool and any

other animal product. I've come to the realization that even the

scariest and smallest of animals (in my case, spiders) deserves to

live. I don't need to kill them to survive, so I don't.

Missie Harhold

and Gracie the Ibizan Hound

and Jeanie the Greyhound

greyhounddog

" Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to a man. Just as one

wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not to

die, so do other creatures. "

-Dalai Lama of Tibet, His Holiness, The XIV

Guest guest

too bad house spiders can't survive outside...but its a big step away from smooshing them. Its hard to change old habits, so good job!Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device from U.S. CellularNATASHA HARHOLD Fri, 11 Sep 2009 19:04:58 -0400Re: silk? Not really related to silk worms, but sort of. I am horrified of spiders. Always have been. We stopped eating meat back in December and I've been vegan (a struggling vegan, but working really hard at not consuming any animal products, period) for a good portion of that time. A year ago, had I seen a spider in the house I would have screamed and then killed it. I am proud to report that I found two (count 'em, two) spiders in the house last week while doing fall cleaning and I did not harm either one. I carefully caught them (without touching them - I'm compassionate but I'm still terrified of them) and took them outside to release them. One small step for spiders, one huge leap for me. Not cute or fluffy, but totally deserving of living a full life. As for not being able to anticipate danger or what not as was mentioned in regards to the silk worms, we really don't know what they know. Until very recently I would have been lambasted for claiming that my dogs have feelings. I would have been accused of anthropomorphizing. Science is proving more and more convincingly every day that animals do have feelings. So although small, the silk worm (and in my case, the spiders) may well have feelings that we are unaware of and they may actually have a sense of impending doom when some giant human is getting ready to kill them. I, therefore, avoid silk just as I avoid leather and wool and any other animal product. I've come to the realization that even the scariest and smallest of animals (in my case, spiders) deserves to live. I don't need to kill them to survive, so I don't. Missie Harhold and Gracie the Ibizan Hound and Jeanie the Greyhoundgreyhounddog (AT) earthlink (DOT) net " Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to a man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not to die, so do other creatures. " -Dalai Lama of Tibet, His Holiness, The XIV

Guest guest

my father still does that

i guess i understand, i mean i've only been vegetarian twenty years...and vegan 16 years...

but..every time...

"so, do you eat chicken?"

"how about fish? you eat fish right?"

because we all know fish come from fishsticks, and chicken comes from eggplant...............

Blue Rose Sep 11, 2009 5:44 PM Re: silk?

I knew someone who called herself a "modified vegetarian" because she didn't eat red meat. Chicken and seafood she ate.*facepalmheaddeskohthehumanity*

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 5:41 PM, Patricia <moondreamer64_2000 > wrote:

I've heard things like that and also it isn't considered meat.

Patricia--- On Fri, 9/11/09, Blue Rose <bluerose156 > wrote:

Blue Rose <bluerose156 >Re: silk? Date: Friday, September 11, 2009, 2:12 PM

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 5:10 PM, Patricia <moondreamer64_2000 > wrote:

I would never think that about them. Maybe it's because those animals can anticipate what is going to happen to them and feel horrible fear and pain, but the worms are spared at least that horrible dread of their impending death and hopefully that death is swift.Patricia--- On Fri, 9/11/09, Blue Rose <bluerose156 > wrote:

Blue Rose <bluerose156 >

Guest guest

i got the same thing in the hospital eons ago. went in after i got hit by a car and shattered my pelvis

when i finally was allowed food..they gave me jello..i sent it back...they sent up chicken soup..i sent it back, and gave up and gave up until the next morning when my gurlfriend at the time went and got me fruit from the commisary/cafeteria.....

Patricia Sep 11, 2009 5:56 PM Re: silk?

Yes, I know many people like that. When I had surgery and told them I was a vegetarian, they asked if I ate fish and chicken, they even brought me Jello! Some dietitian.Patricia--- On Fri, 9/11/09, Blue Rose <bluerose156 > wrote:

Blue Rose <bluerose156 >Re: silk? Date: Friday, September 11, 2009, 2:44 PM

I knew someone who called herself a "modified vegetarian" because she didn't eat red meat. Chicken and seafood she ate.*facepalmheaddeskohthehumanity*

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 5:41 PM, Patricia <moondreamer64_2000 > wrote:

Patricia--- On Fri, 9/11/09, Blue Rose <bluerose156 > wrote:

Blue Rose <bluerose156 >Re: silk? Date: Friday, September 11, 2009, 2:12 PM

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 5:10 PM, Patricia <moondreamer64_2000 > wrote:

I would never think that about them. Maybe it's because those animals can anticipate what is going to happen to them and feel horrible fear and pain, but the worms are spared at least that horrible dread of their impending death and hopefully that death is swift.Patricia--- On Fri, 9/11/09, Blue Rose <bluerose156 > wrote:

Blue Rose <bluerose156 >

Guest guest

congrats on your giant leap!

:)

and, never ever ever come over my house..you'll be catotonic in moments........

NATASHA HARHOLD Sep 11, 2009 7:04 PM Re: silk?

Not really related to silk worms, but sort of. I am horrified of spiders. Always have been. We stopped eating meat back in December and I've been vegan (a struggling vegan, but working really hard at not consuming any animal products, period) for a good portion of that time. A year ago, had I seen a spider in the house I would have screamed and then killed it. I am proud to report that I found two (count 'em, two) spiders in the house last week while doing fall cleaning and I did not harm either one. I carefully caught them (without touching them - I'm compassionate but I'm still terrified of them) and took them outside to release them. One small step for spiders, one huge leap for me. Not cute or fluffy, but totally deserving of living a full life. As for not being able to anticipate danger or what not as was mentioned in regards to the silk worms, we really don't know what they know. Until very recently I would have been lambasted for claiming that my dogs have feelings. I would have been accused of anthropomorphizing. Science is proving more and more convincingly every day that animals do have feelings. So although small, the silk worm (and in my case, the spiders) may well have feelings that we are unaware of and they may actually have a sense of impending doom when some giant human is getting ready to kill them. I, therefore, avoid silk just as I avoid leather and wool and any other animal product. I've come to the realization that even the scariest and smallest of animals (in my case, spiders) deserves to live. I don't need to kill them to survive, so I don't.Missie Harholdand Gracie the Ibizan Houndand Jeanie the Greyhoundgreyhounddog (AT) earthlink (DOT) net"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to a man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not to die, so do other creatures."-Dalai Lama of Tibet, His Holiness, The XIV

"Hobbes: Do you think there's a God? Calvin: Well, SOMEBODY'S out to get me."

Guest guest

I understand where you're coming from. I'm not apt to have anything made from silk any way.Patricia--- On Fri, 9/11/09, jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork wrote:jo.heartwork <jo.heartworkRe: silk? Date: Friday, September 11, 2009, 3:39 PM

Admittedly it isn't fluffy and pretty, but it has its own life to lead.

Jo

-

Patricia

Friday, September 11, 2009 8:13 PM

I will say, I have a lot of trouble having much sympathy for a worm.Patricia--- On Thu, 9/10/09, Peter Kebbell <metalscarab@ gmail.com> wrote:

Peter Kebbell <metalscarab@ gmail.com>Re: silk?@gro ups.comThursday, September 10, 2009, 11:57 PM

I personally don't use silk at all.With those companies that claim to be "cruelty free", but use silk, it may be worth asking them how the silk is produced... they may simply not consider issues of "cruelty" to extend to invertibrates. ..It's rather unfortunate that the term "cruelty free" has no legal definition, and therefore can technically be put on product packaging by anyone, regardless of how accurate the statement may be.BBPeter

Hello,Do any of you wear silk? I purchased long underwear years ago made from silk. But normally I don't wear or buy anything made from silk.I never really thought about how silk was made. But I recently read an article that silk worms are boiled alive before the silk is spun from the cocoon. There is supposed to be a company that waits until the moth is fully grown and hatches out of the cocoon. The company is called Ahimsa Peace Silk. I was googling them and read a few more articles. One said that the way this company raises silk worms, the young are starved to death. I don't understand all of this though!There are at least two companies that make organic cruelty free lotions and such with silk in them. Aubrey Organics Silken Earth and SheaTerra Organics.------------ --------- --------- ------To send an email to -unsubscr ibe

Guest guest

I'll have to admit that I spray ants with vinegar if they invade my kitchen. I made a deal with them, I'll leave their habitat alone if they'll reciprocate, but if they renege, I'll get my spray bottle of white vinegar out and let them have it.Patricia--- On Fri, 9/11/09, NATASHA HARHOLD <greyhounddog wrote:NATASHA HARHOLD <greyhounddogRe: silk? Date: Friday, September 11, 2009, 4:04 PMNot really related to silk worms, but sort of. I am horrified of spiders. Always have been. We stopped eating meat back

in December and I've been vegan (a struggling vegan, but working really hard at not consuming any animal products, period) for a good portion of that time. A year ago, had I seen a spider in the house I would have screamed and then killed it. I am proud to report that I found two (count 'em, two) spiders in the house last week while doing fall cleaning and I did not harm either one. I carefully caught them (without touching them - I'm compassionate but I'm still terrified of them) and took them outside to release them. One small step for spiders, one huge leap for me. Not cute or fluffy, but totally deserving of living a full life. As for not being able to anticipate danger or what not as was mentioned in regards to the silk worms, we really don't know what they know. Until very recently I

would have been lambasted for claiming that my dogs have feelings. I would have been accused of anthropomorphizing. Science is proving more and more convincingly every day that animals do have feelings. So although small, the silk worm (and in my case, the spiders) may well have feelings that we are unaware of and they may actually have a sense of impending doom when some giant human is getting ready to kill them. I, therefore, avoid silk just as I avoid leather and wool and any other animal product. I've come to the realization that even the scariest and smallest of animals (in my case, spiders) deserves to live. I don't need to kill them to survive, so I don't.Missie Harholdand Gracie the Ibizan Houndand Jeanie the Greyhoundgreyhounddog"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to a man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not to die, so do other creatures."-Dalai Lama of Tibet, His Holiness, The XIV---To send an email to -! Groups Links<*> /<*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional<*> To change settings online go to: /join ( ID required)<*> To change settings via email: -digest -fullfeatured <*>

Guest guest

I found that I had to question most of my food, especially broth.Patricia--- On Fri, 9/11/09, fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:fraggle <EBbrewpunxRe: silk? Date: Friday, September 11, 2009, 6:36 PM

i got the same thing in the hospital eons ago. went in after i got hit by a car and shattered my pelvis

when i finally was allowed food..they gave me jello..i sent it back...they sent up chicken soup..i sent it back, and gave up and gave up until the next morning when my gurlfriend at the time went and got me fruit from the commisary/cafeteria.....

Patricia Sep 11, 2009 5:56 PM Re: silk?

Yes, I know many people like that. When I had surgery and told them I was a vegetarian, they asked if I ate fish and chicken, they even brought me Jello! Some dietitian.Patricia--- On Fri, 9/11/09, Blue Rose <bluerose156@ gmail.com> wrote:

Blue Rose <bluerose156@ gmail.com>Re: silk?@gro ups.comFriday, September 11, 2009, 2:44 PM

I knew someone who called herself a "modified vegetarian" because she didn't eat red meat. Chicken and seafood she ate.*facepalmheaddeskoh thehumanity*

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 5:41 PM, Patricia <moondreamer64_ 2000 > wrote:

Patricia--- On Fri, 9/11/09, Blue Rose <bluerose156@ gmail.com> wrote:

Blue Rose <bluerose156@ gmail.com>Re: silk?@gro ups.comFriday, September 11, 2009, 2:12 PM

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 5:10 PM, Patricia <moondreamer64_ 2000 > wrote:

I would never think that about them. Maybe it's because those animals can anticipate what is going to happen to them and feel horrible fear and pain, but the worms are spared at least that horrible dread of their impending death and hopefully that death is swift.Patricia--- On Fri, 9/11/09, Blue Rose <bluerose156@ gmail.com> wrote:

Blue Rose <bluerose156@ gmail.com>

Re: silk?@gro ups.comFriday, September 11, 2009, 1:39 PM

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 3:13 PM, Patricia <moondreamer64_ 2000 > wrote:

Peter Kebbell <metalscarab@ gmail.com>Re: silk?

@gro ups.comThursday, September 10, 2009, 11:57 PM

Hello,Do any of you wear silk? I purchased long underwear years ago made from silk. But normally I don't wear or buy anything made from silk.I never really thought about how silk was made. But I recently read an article that silk worms are boiled alive before the silk is spun from the cocoon. There is supposed to be a company that waits until the moth is fully grown and hatches out of the cocoon. The company is called Ahimsa Peace Silk. I was googling them and read a few more articles. One said that the way this company raises silk worms, the young are starved to death. I don't understand all of this though!There are at least two companies that make organic cruelty free lotions and such with silk in them. Aubrey Organics Silken Earth and SheaTerra Organics.------------ ---------

--------- ------To send an email to -unsubscr ibe

Guest guest

We found our kitchen covered in ants one morning because I had left the chopping board on the counter, where I had cut up melon to take to work. They love melon/juice. After that we just put the melon peel outside, and they enjoyed it out there, and didn't come in for the rest of the summer!

Jo

-

Patricia

Saturday, September 12, 2009 8:27 AM

I'll have to admit that I spray ants with vinegar if they invade my kitchen. I made a deal with them, I'll leave their habitat alone if they'll reciprocate, but if they renege, I'll get my spray bottle of white vinegar out and let them have it.Patricia--- On Fri, 9/11/09, NATASHA HARHOLD <greyhounddog (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> wrote:

NATASHA HARHOLD <greyhounddog (AT) earthlink (DOT) net>Re: silk? Date: Friday, September 11, 2009, 4:04 PM

Not really related to silk worms, but sort of. I am horrified of spiders. Always have been. We stopped eating meat back in December and I've been vegan (a struggling vegan, but working really hard at not consuming any animal products, period) for a good portion of that time. A year ago, had I seen a spider in the house I would have screamed and then killed it. I am proud to report that I found two (count 'em, two) spiders in the house last week while doing fall cleaning and I did not harm either one. I carefully caught them (without touching them - I'm compassionate but I'm still terrified of them) and took them outside to release them. One small step for spiders, one huge leap for me. Not cute or fluffy, but totally deserving of living a full life. As for not being able to anticipate danger or what not as was mentioned in regards to the silk worms, we really don't know what they know. Until very recently I would have been lambasted for claiming that my dogs have feelings. I would have been accused of anthropomorphizing. Science is proving more and more convincingly every day that animals do have feelings. So although small, the silk worm (and in my case, the spiders) may well have feelings that we are unaware of and they may actually have a sense of impending doom when some giant human is getting ready to kill them. I, therefore, avoid silk just as I avoid leather and wool and any other animal product. I've come to the realization that even the scariest and smallest of animals (in my case, spiders) deserves to live. I don't need to kill them to survive, so I don't.Missie Harholdand Gracie the Ibizan Houndand Jeanie the Greyhoundgreyhounddog (AT) earthlink (DOT) net"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to a man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not to die, so do other creatures."-Dalai Lama of Tibet, His Holiness, The XIV---To send an email to -