IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

intro

Rate this topic

Guest guest

greetings and welcome bea

hope you enjoy the group

sorry, we buy all our groceries from local markets or the farmers market...don't purchase anything online

cheers

fraggle

bea mehta Aug 13, 2008 1:44 PM intro

Hi there,

I've been reading some of the messages for a few days meaning to contribute at some stage. So happy to hear about the vegan market stall in Croydon, I don't live so far away from there so I'll definitely be going along to sample the delights!

My name's Bea, been veggie since 12 and discovering veganism over the last couple of years since I stopped work to look after my newborn twins. Its been a great journey so far, discovering gorgeous foods that taste great and don't involve cruelty. I went without cheese and yogurt some time ago now. I am quite disappointed not to be completely vegan yet, I guess that's the main reason I am here, in search of any further inspiration. My sticking points are the odd bit of milk chocolate, and a couple of products eg. belgian choc waffles that do contain egg unfortunately.

The vegan family website really got me started with recipes, then resources from VIVA, Lifescape magazine, and going to some of the VIVA events and Vegan day in south ken.

I've found I can get lots of things from the usual supermarkets plus independent health stores but tend to reach out for the non-vegan foods when nothing else is to hand, or if friends or family bring non-vegan eatables. So am thinking, I need to stock up and keep supplies of snacks that are vegan to help make the complete transition.

Do you mind me asking how others manage vegan grocery buying?! Are there any particularly good online shops that you'd recommend?

many thanks for reading,

Bea

Peter <metalscarab > Sent: Wednesday, 13 August, 2008 8:33:50Re: Vegan delights hit Croydon's Surrey Street Market

Hi Peter

Of all the places I'd expect to find anything vegan, Croydon is very, very low on the list!!!!

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 9:47 PM

Re: Vegan delights hit Croydon's Surrey Street Market

Surrey Street Market is now home to its first vegan food stall, with owner Penelope Harrison baking all the food from her own kitchen.

The former charity worker quit her job when she decided she was stuck in a rut, and set up her own stall after wowing her family with her vegan bread and cakes.

In a real labour of love, Miss Harrison singularly cooks all of her 14 different products at her kitchen in Canal Walk, Croydon.

She said: "My typical day begins at 5.30am, and my stall's open from 9am to 4pm.

"When I get home, I like to replenish my stock, so I end up cooking until about 11pm.

"It's a very long day, but I don't mind, because I really like what I do. It doesn't feel like work."

The 37-year-old swapped vegetarianism for a vegan diet seven years ago, for health reasons.

She said: "I wanted to cut down on cholesterol, and cut out animal products.

"But the supermarkets have lots of processed stuff, and I wanted to make my own and have it all natural."

An experienced cook Miss Harrison is yet to have any culinary disasters.

She said: "I haven't had any big problems, I've always been a keen cook, and I'm self-taught.

"My favourites are the vegan cakes and scones, but one of the best sellers are my vegan pasties.

"I'm open to suggestions, and some people are asking for flapjacks, so I might start cooking them too."

Miss Harrison has only been in business since July 28.

She said: "When I opened I wasn't really nervous because I'm very entrepreneurial, and I think you have to give these things a go."

Already attracting attention from the public, the chef has been told she has the market's first vegan-only stall.

She said: "The other market vendors say they've never seen this sort of thing before in Surrey Street.

"I want to last a long time, because I'm the only person doing this sort of thing.

"Ideally one day I'd like to get a shop and bake on the premises, but this is good for now."

2 comments. Last at: 12-Aug-2008 13:14

'A little bit of everything' as the great Enzo Ferrari said and you cant go wrong.

Mr.Angry, Purley

commented on 12-Aug-2008 13:14

this is great news. i hope that Penelope's efforts increase people's interest in a more varied diet even if they are not vegetarian or vegan themselves. all the best to her!

ceiri, croydon

commented on 12-Aug-2008 11:26

Peter vv Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger . Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Guest guest

Hi Bea and welcome, and congrats on the twins.

I usually shop at the evil supermarkets, but have bought footware from vegetarian shoes on line. The Vegan society sell some things on-line ( are you a member?)

Peter vv

bea mehta <beamehta Sent: Wednesday, 13 August, 2008 9:44:12 PM intro

Hi there,

I've been reading some of the messages for a few days meaning to contribute at some stage. So happy to hear about the vegan market stall in Croydon, I don't live so far away from there so I'll definitely be going along to sample the delights!

My name's Bea, been veggie since 12 and discovering veganism over the last couple of years since I stopped work to look after my newborn twins. Its been a great journey so far, discovering gorgeous foods that taste great and don't involve cruelty. I went without cheese and yogurt some time ago now. I am quite disappointed not to be completely vegan yet, I guess that's the main reason I am here, in search of any further inspiration. My sticking points are the odd bit of milk chocolate, and a couple of products eg. belgian choc waffles that do contain egg unfortunately.

The vegan family website really got me started with recipes, then resources from VIVA, Lifescape magazine, and going to some of the VIVA events and Vegan day in south ken.

I've found I can get lots of things from the usual supermarkets plus independent health stores but tend to reach out for the non-vegan foods when nothing else is to hand, or if friends or family bring non-vegan eatables. So am thinking, I need to stock up and keep supplies of snacks that are vegan to help make the complete transition.

Do you mind me asking how others manage vegan grocery buying?! Are there any particularly good online shops that you'd recommend?

many thanks for reading,

Bea

Peter <metalscarab@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comWednesday, 13 August, 2008 8:33:50Re: Vegan delights hit Croydon's Surrey Street Market

Hi Peter

Of all the places I'd expect to find anything vegan, Croydon is very, very low on the list!!!!

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Surrey Street Market is now home to its first vegan food stall, with owner Penelope Harrison baking all the food from her own kitchen.

The former charity worker quit her job when she decided she was stuck in a rut, and set up her own stall after wowing her family with her vegan bread and cakes.

In a real labour of love, Miss Harrison singularly cooks all of her 14 different products at her kitchen in Canal Walk, Croydon.

She said: "My typical day begins at 5.30am, and my stall's open from 9am to 4pm.

"When I get home, I like to replenish my stock, so I end up cooking until about 11pm.

"It's a very long day, but I don't mind, because I really like what I do. It doesn't feel like work."

The 37-year-old swapped vegetarianism for a vegan diet seven years ago, for health reasons.

"But the supermarkets have lots of processed stuff, and I wanted to make my own and have it all natural."

She said: "I haven't had any big problems, I've always been a keen cook, and I'm self-taught.

"My favourites are the vegan cakes and scones, but one of the best sellers are my vegan pasties.

"I'm open to suggestions, and some people are asking for flapjacks, so I might start cooking them too."

She said: "When I opened I wasn't really nervous because I'm very entrepreneurial, and I think you have to give these things a go."

Already attracting attention from the public, the chef has been told she has the market's first vegan-only stall.

She said: "The other market vendors say they've never seen this sort of thing before in Surrey Street.

"I want to last a long time, because I'm the only person doing this sort of thing.

"Ideally one day I'd like to get a shop and bake on the premises, but this is good for now."

'A little bit of everything' as the great Enzo Ferrari said and you cant go wrong.

Mr.Angry, Purley

this is great news. i hope that Penelope's efforts increase people's interest in a more varied diet even if they are not vegetarian or vegan themselves. all the best to her!

ceiri, croydon

Peter vv Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger . Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger . Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

Guest guest

Hello

Bea - welcome to the group.

We usually buy basics like dried beans, lentils, nuts, seeds, tofu etc. which you can buy anywhere. The fruit and veg we get from Tesco (don't have too much choice round here).

Jo

-

bea mehta

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 9:44 PM

intro

Hi there,

many thanks for reading,

Bea

Peter <metalscarab > Sent: Wednesday, 13 August, 2008 8:33:50Re: Vegan delights hit Croydon's Surrey Street Market

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Mr.Angry, Purley

ceiri, croydon

Peter vv Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger . Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

Guest guest

Hi Reagan, I'm Melinda, I'm in Katy, TX. I'm new to all of this myself.

This is a great place to get support and information! Welcome!

Guest guest

Pete, go to the home page, click on the upper left on files, click on

recipes, and start cooking!! You will love them!! Welcome aboard.

M

On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 1:05 PM, Pete Self <self.pete wrote:

> greetings: I'm pete. I just recently joined the group because i'm eating

> healthier, and i love to cook and try new recipes, so i'm looking forward to

> saying hello and enjoying some new ideas and sharing when i can

>

> thanks in advance,

> pete

Guest guest

Welcome, Manda.

Rick & Manda <usfive

Monday, November 17, 2008 4:53:43 PM

intro

Hi all- I'm Amanda, photographer, wife, and mom to 3 very active kids ages 16,

13, and 11. I'm glad to be a part of the group and look forward to sharing

recipes!

Guest guest

Hello, Anna --

Welcome! I'm always happy to meet another gardener. : )

You'll find lots of ways to use your fresh produce in the recipe files.

~ irene, who just finished planting the last of the garlic in rural

western WA

> Hi,Just wanted to do a quick intro - I'm Anna. I live in S. Central

> Florida.

> I'm looking to incorporate more vegetarian meals into my cooking.

> This is our growing season and I have a small garden so I'll

> hopefully be

> using some of it soon!

> Cheers,

> Anna

Guest guest

When I met my husband, he had never eaten a salad! Food really became an

adventure for him. After 36 years, he is the only family member, on his

side, without a heart attack or cancer. He claims it is the " little trees "

I got him to eat.

-

" Staci " <faeriespixies

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 7:54 AM

Intro

> Hello all,

>

> My name is Staci and I'm a new vegetarian as of last Friday. I do not

> know any vegetarians personally, so I'd love to hear from you if you

> live in the SF Bay Area - Alameda/Oakland. I have 2 sons, ages 3 & 1,

> and a husband who loves meat. I'm hoping this new lifestyle will teach

> my children healthier eating habits.

>

> I am so excited about this new chapter in my life! I have been wanting

> to become a vegetarian for a few years, but I haven't had the courage

> to do so until now. I can already feel the difference in myself as to

> how I feel - more energy, not hungry all the time, etc. I just feel

> different. My ultimate goal is to become vegan, but I think it is best

> for me to take baby steps.

>

> Thanks for listening!

> Staci

>

>

> ---

>

>

Guest guest

welcome former lurker Jennifer

lotsa good veggie restuarants out in NYC

hope you're bundled up! chilly out there this year

cheers

fraggle

Jennifer Parrucci Feb 5, 2009 11:35 AM Intro

Hi,I've been lingering, but haven't formally introduced myself. My name is Jennifer. I gave up meat 3 and 1/2 years ago (and my husband became pescetarian). We both went vegan this past summer after a trip to Farm Sanctuary in Watkins Glen, NY (check out farmsanctuary.org). We now do some activism for Farm Sanctuary and other animal causes. I volunteer doing adoptions at the ASPCA shelter as well. We live in NYC and I am always looking for tips/recipes/thoughts/etc from fellow vegans.To add to the Valentine's Day discussion, we will be having a romantic dinner at Candle 79 in Manhattan. We actually got engaged on a Valentine's Day while we were in college, so we always make sure to spend time together that day.--Jennifer

So, men are scattered and smeared over the desert grass,

And the generals have accomplished nothing.

-Nefarious War

Li Po (Circa 750)

Guest guest

Hi Jenifer, nice to see you out of the shadows...

Peter vv

Jennifer Parrucci <poegurl22 Sent: Thursday, 5 February, 2009 7:35:24 PM Intro

Hi,I've been lingering, but haven't formally introduced myself. My name is Jennifer. I gave up meat 3 and 1/2 years ago (and my husband became pescetarian) . We both went vegan this past summer after a trip to Farm Sanctuary in Watkins Glen, NY (check out farmsanctuary. org). We now do some activism for Farm Sanctuary and other animal causes. I volunteer doing adoptions at the ASPCA shelter as well. We live in NYC and I am always looking for tips/recipes/ thoughts/ etc from fellow vegans.To add to the Valentine's Day discussion, we will be having a romantic dinner at Candle 79 in Manhattan. We actually got engaged on a Valentine's Day while we were in college, so we always make sure to spend time together that day.--Jennifer

Guest guest

Hi Jennifer

Welcome to the group.

That sounds lovely - and congratulations on the anniversary of your engagement. We will be eating out at our favourite veggie restaurant.

Jo

-

Jennifer Parrucci

Thursday, February 05, 2009 7:35 PM

Intro

Hi,I've been lingering, but haven't formally introduced myself. My name is Jennifer. I gave up meat 3 and 1/2 years ago (and my husband became pescetarian). We both went vegan this past summer after a trip to Farm Sanctuary in Watkins Glen, NY (check out farmsanctuary.org). We now do some activism for Farm Sanctuary and other animal causes. I volunteer doing adoptions at the ASPCA shelter as well. We live in NYC and I am always looking for tips/recipes/thoughts/etc from fellow vegans.To add to the Valentine's Day discussion, we will be having a romantic dinner at Candle 79 in Manhattan. We actually got engaged on a Valentine's Day while we were in college, so we always make sure to spend time together that day.--Jennifer

Guest guest

Hi Erica

Welcome to Vegan Chat.

How easy/difficult is it to be vegan in Orange County?

I'm in the UK, and it is quite easy now. Things have improved over the

last few years.

Jo

, " mikes_kitten29 "

<mikes_kitten29 wrote:

>

> Hi my name is Erica, I live in Orange County, CA. I just wanted to

> introduce myself to the group. My daughter and I have been vegetarian

> for three years and in January we both took the step to being vegan. We

> are both involved in demonstrations, volunteering, and veg* activities.

> I have been a member of other for a couple years now, and

> thought to see if they have a vegan one, so here I am.

>

Guest guest

Hello Jo,

Thank you for the welcome. It hasn't been hard, yet. There are actually

some good restaurants popping up. I think the hardest part is eating

out. But as far as stores go, it's pretty easy find stuff.

Guest guest

It's good that more restaurants are appearing. I guess the main thing

is that you can get everything you need for eating at home.

It is very easy to be vegetarian here, but not quite so easy to eat

out if you are vegan. There is a lovely vegetarian restaurant where

about three quarters of their menu is vegan, about 15 miles from us.

We go there for celebrations like birthdays, anniversaries etc.

On the other thread - what kind of wildlife do you have in your neck

of the woods?

Jo

, " mikes_kitten29 "

<mikes_kitten29 wrote:

>

> Hello Jo,

> Thank you for the welcome. It hasn't been hard, yet. There are

actually

> some good restaurants popping up. I think the hardest part is eating

> out. But as far as stores go, it's pretty easy find stuff.

>

Guest guest

Hi everyone,

My name is Sherri and I am trying to start eating healthier. I don't have a

favorite recipe. I am hoping to find some good ones here and lose some

weight!

--

Sherri Jones