> tour. My older cousins took me. Quite uneventful but exciting at the

> time. Especially when the ladies bathroom had a line so we ventured

> into the mens. Twas a long ride there and we had to go and the men's

> room was empty.

IIRC my first gig was The Flying Pickets... but that was well over 100 gigs

ago... last one was last night, Spock's Beard... then 3 next week (Dio and 2

Dream Theater gigs), two a couple of weeks later (Stratovarius / Hammerfall

and Royal Hunt), then a couple in December (Magnum and Vaughn)... I honestly

*don't* spend my entire life going to gigs!!!!

BB

Peter

Guest guest

first show ever..

johnny cash..like 1974....

first one i went to on my own? some metal band in like 1979..called eyes....

first one i consider..ramones...1980

this past weekend...worked 3 shows

and workin another tonite....

i need a nap

fraggle

Peter <metalscarab

Oct 17, 2005 11:23 AM

First Gigs...

> Mine was Def Leppard and I think I was 11 or something. The Hysteria

> tour. My older cousins took me. Quite uneventful but exciting at the

> time. Especially when the ladies bathroom had a line so we ventured

> into the mens. Twas a long ride there and we had to go and the men's

> room was empty.

IIRC my first gig was The Flying Pickets... but that was well over 100 gigs

ago... last one was last night, Spock's Beard... then 3 next week (Dio and 2

Dream Theater gigs), two a couple of weeks later (Stratovarius / Hammerfall

and Royal Hunt), then a couple in December (Magnum and Vaughn)... I honestly

*don't* spend my entire life going to gigs!!!!

BB

Peter

To send an email to -

Guest guest

Hi Fraggle

> first one i went to on my own? some metal band in like 1979..called

eyes....

Depends what you mean by " on your own " ... I've never been to a gig alone.

First one without my parents was ever such a long time ago... March 2005 to

be precise.... Incubus Succubus. :-)

BB

Peter

Guest guest

What do you do at these shows?, cant imagine you being a roadie ( being a wee Fraggle ). Lighting?

The Valley Vegan........fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

first show ever..johnny cash..like 1974....first one i went to on my own? some metal band in like 1979..called eyes....first one i consider..ramones...1980this past weekend...worked 3 showsand workin another tonite....i need a napfragglePeter Oct 17, 2005 11:23 AM Subject: First Gigs...> Mine was Def Leppard and I think I was 11 or something. The Hysteria> tour. My older cousins took me. Quite uneventful but exciting at the> time. Especially when the ladies bathroom had a line so we ventured> into the mens. Twas a long ride there and we had to go and the men's> room was empty.IIRC my first gig was The Flying Pickets... but that was well over 100 gigsago... last one was last

night, Spock's Beard... then 3 next week (Dio and 2Dream Theater gigs), two a couple of weeks later (Stratovarius / Hammerfalland Royal Hunt), then a couple in December (Magnum and Vaughn)... I honestly*don't* spend my entire life going to gigs!!!!BBPeterTo send an email to -

Guest guest

gee..thanx

friday and saturday i was a roadie...

sunday i worked the door

i work the door at shows all the time..every sunday i'm at a bar called the golden bull here in oakland...we have shows there every week

i also work door at other places, like burnt ramen up in richmond... peter hurd Oct 17, 2005 1:08 PM Re: First Gigs...

What do you do at these shows?, cant imagine you being a roadie ( being a wee Fraggle ). Lighting?

first show ever..johnny cash..like 1974....first one i went to on my own? some metal band in like 1979..called eyes....first one i consider..ramones...1980this past weekend...worked 3 showsand workin another tonite....i need a napfragglePeter Oct 17, 2005 11:23 AM Subject: First Gigs...> Mine was Def Leppard and I think I was 11 or something. The Hysteria> tour. My older cousins took me. Quite uneventful but exciting at the> time. Especially when the ladies bathroom had a line so we ventured> into the mens. Twas a long ride there and we had to go and the men's> room was empty.IIRC my first gig was The Flying Pickets... but that was well over 100 gigsago... last one was last night, Spock's Beard... then 3 next week (Dio and 2Dream Theater gigs), two a couple of weeks later (Stratovarius / Hammerfalland Royal Hunt), then a couple in December (Magnum and Vaughn)... I honestly*don't* spend my entire life going to gigs!!!!BBPeterTo send an email to -

Guest guest

Magnum? ha ha ha ha ha, are they still going?

The Valley Vegan.............Peter <metalscarab wrote:

> Mine was Def Leppard and I think I was 11 or something. The Hysteria> tour. My older cousins took me. Quite uneventful but exciting at the> time. Especially when the ladies bathroom had a line so we ventured> into the mens. Twas a long ride there and we had to go and the men's> room was empty.IIRC my first gig was The Flying Pickets... but that was well over 100 gigsago... last one was last night, Spock's Beard... then 3 next week (Dio and 2Dream Theater gigs), two a couple of weeks later (Stratovarius / Hammerfalland Royal Hunt), then a couple in December (Magnum and Vaughn)... I honestly*don't* spend my entire life going to gigs!!!!BBPeter

Guest guest

How can a wee Fraggle be a bouncer?, you seem way too intelligent. Are you well versed in the art of intimidation, and have a cruel streak?

gee..thanx

sunday i worked the door

i work the door at shows all the time..every sunday i'm at a bar called the golden bull here in oakland...we have shows there every week

i also work door at other places, like burnt ramen up in richmond... peter hurd Oct 17, 2005 1:08 PM Re: First Gigs...

first show ever..johnny cash..like 1974....first one i went to on my own? some metal band in like 1979..called eyes....first one i consider..ramones...1980this past weekend...worked 3 showsand workin another tonite....i need a napfragglePeter Oct 17, 2005 11:23 AM Subject: First Gigs...> Mine was Def Leppard and I think I was 11 or something. The Hysteria> tour. My older cousins took me. Quite uneventful but exciting at the> time. Especially when the ladies bathroom had a line so we ventured> into the mens. Twas a long ride there and we had to go and the men's> room was empty.IIRC my first gig was The Flying Pickets... but that was well over 100 gigsago... last one was last

night, Spock's Beard... then 3 next week (Dio and 2Dream Theater gigs), two a couple of weeks later (Stratovarius / Hammerfalland Royal Hunt), then a couple in December (Magnum and Vaughn)... I honestly*don't* spend my entire life going to gigs!!!!BBPeterTo send an email to -

Guest guest

They get together every couple of years or so to make an album and tour. They are not that old though - not as old as me - so why wouldn't they still be going? Bob Catley also does solo stuff which is also good.

Jo

-

peter hurd

Monday, October 17, 2005 9:15 PM

Re: First Gigs...

> Mine was Def Leppard and I think I was 11 or something. The Hysteria> tour. My older cousins took me. Quite uneventful but exciting at the> time. Especially when the ladies bathroom had a line so we ventured> into the mens. Twas a long ride there and we had to go and the men's> room was empty.IIRC my first gig was The Flying Pickets... but that was well over 100 gigsago... last one was last night, Spock's Beard... then 3 next week (Dio and 2Dream Theater gigs), two a couple of weeks later (Stratovarius / Hammerfalland Royal Hunt), then a couple in December (Magnum and Vaughn)... I honestly*don't* spend my entire life going to gigs!!!!BBPeter

Guest guest

Why would they still be going? you`ll be telling me next that Saxon are still going! ha ha

The Valley Vegan............jo <jo.heartwork wrote:

They get together every couple of years or so to make an album and tour. They are not that old though - not as old as me - so why wouldn't they still be going? Bob Catley also does solo stuff which is also good.

Jo

-

peter hurd

Guest guest

Why would they stop?????

of course Saxon are still going - they're touring at present.

Jo

-

peter hurd

Monday, October 17, 2005 9:28 PM

Why would they still be going? you`ll be telling me next that Saxon are still going! ha ha

Jo

-

peter hurd

Guest guest

Oh my, ( I still have a cassete single of 747 strangers in the night somewhere, is it worth anything?). Sorry shouldnt scoff, but they werent exactly brilliant were they?

The Valley Vegan..........jo <jo.heartwork wrote:

Why would they stop?????

Jo

-

peter hurd

Jo

-

peter hurd

Guest guest

*shrug*

got me....

i'm a lil wee fraggle...

but...

i seem t oget the job done

:)

and, while workin door, yeah, i do have a mean streak...i guess

peter hurd Oct 17, 2005 1:20 PM Re: First Gigs...

How can a wee Fraggle be a bouncer?, you seem way too intelligent. Are you well versed in the art of intimidation, and have a cruel streak?

gee..thanx

sunday i worked the door

first show ever..johnny cash..like 1974....first one i went to on my own? some metal band in like 1979..called eyes....first one i consider..ramones...1980this past weekend...worked 3 showsand workin another tonite....i need a napfragglePeter Oct 17, 2005 11:23 AM Subject: First Gigs...> Mine was Def Leppard and I think I was 11 or something. The Hysteria> tour. My older cousins took me. Quite uneventful but exciting at the> time. Especially when the ladies bathroom had a line so we ventured> into the mens. Twas a long ride there and we had to go and the men's> room was empty.IIRC my first gig was The Flying Pickets... but that was well over 100 gigsago... last one was last night, Spock's Beard... then 3 next week (Dio and 2Dream Theater gigs), two a couple of weeks later (Stratovarius / Hammerfalland Royal Hunt), then a couple in December (Magnum and Vaughn)... I honestly*don't* spend my entire life going to gigs!!!!BBPeterTo send an email to -

Guest guest

They were good enough to be enjoyable - not as good as some - better than others. When I saw them about five years ago they were pretty good. Scoff away though - that's how I feel about Johnny Cash etc.

Jo

-

peter hurd

Monday, October 17, 2005 9:44 PM

Oh my, ( I still have a cassete single of 747 strangers in the night somewhere, is it worth anything?). Sorry shouldnt scoff, but they werent exactly brilliant were they?

Why would they stop?????

Jo

-

peter hurd

Jo

-

peter hurd

Guest guest

oh dear

i went to johnny cash with my step mother and grandmother...but i was 7

think thats the only time i went with parental units

no..wait..i saw the righteous brothers some time after like..when i was like

but..everything else was *alone*...with friends and such...but....

Peter <metalscarab

Oct 17, 2005 12:45 PM

Hi Fraggle

> first one i went to on my own? some metal band in like 1979..called

eyes....

Depends what you mean by " on your own " ... I've never been to a gig alone.

First one without my parents was ever such a long time ago... March 2005 to

be precise.... Incubus Succubus. :-)

BB

Peter

To send an email to -

Guest guest

Hi Peter

> Magnum? ha ha ha ha ha, are they still going?

Yep - they took a brief break while Tony Clarkin had a strange turn during the late 1990s, and then re-formed about 4 years ago. It's only 3 of the "old" group (Tony, Bob and Mark), with a new bass player, and 'Arry from Thunder on drums. Bob Catley also has about 6 or 7 solo albums which are very Magnum-esque!

BB

peter

Guest guest

Hi Peter

> Why would they still be going? you`ll be telling me next that Saxon are still going! ha ha

Strangely enough... they are... both of them... yep - about 10 years ago they split in two, and there are now *two* groups going around calling themselves Saxon.

I don't think too many of the old school bands have faded out yet... Maiden and Priest are both still going. I gather that Wishbone Ash is currently doing a tour, Sabbath still get together for the occassional show. I believe Deep Purple are still hanging around as well.

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Hi Peter

> Oh my, ( I still have a cassete single of 747 strangers in the night somewhere, is it worth anything?). Sorry shouldnt scoff,

> but they werent exactly brilliant were they?

I think you confuse music quality with production quality... they really did have some pretty bad production on their early stuff, but the music was always very good, and they're excellent live. Of course, their more recent albums are much better produced.

BB

Peter

Guest guest

My problem with them was they were like every other band around at the time, only not in the same league as the likes of Iron Maiden an Def Lepard, neither of whom I was partial to. It is probably because around that time my music tastes shifted somewhat, and I stopped listening to new rock bands and sort of went punk/indie-ish. A lot of prog rock just got stale for me around that time too, you know the sort of thing, 12 minute guitar solos, oooh a 15 minute drum solo, ooh thats original, just seemed to be the equivalent of musical masturbation to me . Just my opinion tis all.

Oh and by the way, I doubt whether any of the bands of that ilk ( Saxon/Magnum et all ) will ever be as legendary/infamous as the likes of Johnny Cash, whos musical heritage goes back to Sun Records with Elvis etc . Not that I like JC much anyhoo.

They were good enough to be enjoyable - not as good as some - better than others. When I saw them about five years ago they were pretty good. Scoff away though - that's how I feel about Johnny Cash etc.

Jo

-

peter hurd

Monday, October 17, 2005 9:44 PM

Why would they stop?????

Jo

-

peter hurd

Jo

-

peter hurd

Guest guest

Yep I was brought up on those "old school" bands zep/purple etc, never realy got into priest/maiden. Those bands just didnt seem to have the vituoso guitarists the likes of Page or Blackmore.

The Valley Vegan...............Peter <metalscarab wrote:

Hi Peter

> Why would they still be going? you`ll be telling me next that Saxon are still going! ha ha

Strangely enough... they are... both of them... yep - about 10 years ago they split in two, and there are now *two* groups going around calling themselves Saxon.

I don't think too many of the old school bands have faded out yet... Maiden and Priest are both still going. I gather that Wishbone Ash is currently doing a tour, Sabbath still get together for the occassional show. I believe Deep Purple are still hanging around as well.

BB

PeterPeter H

To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security Centre.

Guest guest

Nah , I was talking musical quality.

Hi Peter

> Oh my, ( I still have a cassete single of 747 strangers in the night somewhere, is it worth anything?). Sorry shouldnt scoff,

> but they werent exactly brilliant were they?

I think you confuse music quality with production quality... they really did have some pretty bad production on their early stuff, but the music was always very good, and they're excellent live. Of course, their more recent albums are much better produced.

BB

PeterPeter H

To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security Centre.

Guest guest

Were they still giving away records then?

In the late 50s and early 60s the concerts gave away 45s. Some of the

really good ones would give away LPs to the first so many folks through the

door.

Wish they'd give away CDs now <g>

Lynda

-

" fraggle " <EBbrewpunx

> oh dear

> i went to johnny cash with my step mother and grandmother...but i was 7

> think thats the only time i went with parental units

>

> no..wait..i saw the righteous brothers some time after like..when i was

> like 10.....

>

> but..everything else was *alone*...with friends and such...but....

Guest guest

no..no one ever really gave records away that i ever recall..except fer chuckin

some into the audience

Lynda <lurine

Oct 17, 2005 3:30 PM

Were they still giving away records then?

In the late 50s and early 60s the concerts gave away 45s. Some of the

really good ones would give away LPs to the first so many folks through the

door.

Wish they'd give away CDs now <g>

Lynda

-

" fraggle " <EBbrewpunx

> oh dear

> i went to johnny cash with my step mother and grandmother...but i was 7

>

> no..wait..i saw the righteous brothers some time after like..when i was

> like 10.....

>

To send an email to -

Guest guest

We used to go to the Vet's Memorial in SR to concerts and you turned in your

ticket and got a 45. Now, WAAAYYYYYY back in the dark ages when I went to a

couple with my mother, we got vinyl. One was Little Richard and one was

Patsy Cline. Like I said, the dark ages <g>

Hmmm, I got Paul Rever and the Raiders, the Four Seasons, La Bamba, the

Beach Boys, Steppenwolf, Yardbirds, Tina Turner, Iron Butterfly, Norman

Greenbaum, Steve Miller, Van Morrison, Santana, CCR.

And a whole bunch more. there was a concert at least every other week end

and sometimes every weekend plus free concerts doing the two-weeks of the

fair. We also went down to the city (SF to none CA folks) to concerts and

later Day on the Green and over to the Ampatheatre.

Then the music got harder and louder.

Lynda

-

" fraggle " <EBbrewpunx

Monday, October 17, 2005 4:01 PM

> no..no one ever really gave records away that i ever recall..except fer

> chuckin some into the audience

>

>

> Lynda <lurine

> Oct 17, 2005 3:30 PM

>

> Re: First Gigs...

>

> Were they still giving away records then?

>

> In the late 50s and early 60s the concerts gave away 45s. Some of the

> really good ones would give away LPs to the first so many folks through

> the

> door.

>

> Wish they'd give away CDs now <g>

>

> Lynda

> -

> " fraggle " <EBbrewpunx

>

>

>> oh dear

>> i went to johnny cash with my step mother and grandmother...but i was 7

>> think thats the only time i went with parental units

>>

>> no..wait..i saw the righteous brothers some time after like..when i was

>> like 10.....

>>

>> but..everything else was *alone*...with friends and such...but....

>

>

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

Guest guest

That's cos we like the same bands.

Jo

, " Peter " <metalscarab@g...> wrote:

>

> Hi Fraggle

>

> > first one i went to on my own? some metal band in like 1979..called

> eyes....

>

> Depends what you mean by " on your own " ... I've never been to a gig

alone.

> First one without my parents was ever such a long time ago... March

2005 to

> be precise.... Incubus Succubus. :-)

>

> BB

> Peter

>

Guest guest

Is that cos you don't like the same music as your family or cos you

don't get on with them?

Jo

, fraggle <EBbrewpunx@e...> wrote:

>

> oh dear

> i went to johnny cash with my step mother and grandmother...but i

was 7

>

> no..wait..i saw the righteous brothers some time after like..when i

was like 10.....

>

>

>

> Peter <metalscarab@g...>

> Oct 17, 2005 12:45 PM

>

> Re: First Gigs...

>

> Hi Fraggle

>

> > first one i went to on my own? some metal band in like

1979..called

> eyes....