Rate this topic

Guest guest

Certainly doesn't sound worth taking them

Jo

-

ank_art

Sunday, October 02, 2005 3:32 PM

Re: Re: Can anyone help me please:)

I think the typical cholesterol-lowering drug is a type of "statin"... sounds like taking them may have the same odds as flipping a coin -- or worse... I found this info on a medical website

How do statins work? What are the side effects of these drugs?

Statins are a class of drugs used to lower blood cholesterol. They work in your liver to block a substance needed to make cholesterol. They may also help your body reabsorb cholesterol that has accumulated in plaques on your artery walls. This helps prevent further blockage in your blood vessels. Long-term use of statins may even reduce existing blockage in narrowed blood vessels.

Statins have many benefits. In some people, they can reduce the risk of heart attack and stroke. Like all medications, statins have potential side effects. Although statins are well tolerated by most people, the most common side effects are:

Nausea

Diarrhea

Constipation

Muscle aching

In addition, two potentially serious side effects are:

Elevated liver enzymes. Occasionally, statin use causes an increase in liver enzymes. If the increase is only mild, you can continue to take the drug. If the increase is severe, you may need to stop taking it, which usually reverses the problem. Certain other cholesterol-lowering drugs, such as gemfibrozil (Lopid) and niacin, increase the risk of liver problems in people who take statins. Because liver problems may develop without symptoms, people who take statins should have their liver function tested periodically.

Statin myopathy. Statins may cause muscle pain and tenderness (statin myopathy). In severe cases, muscle cells can break down (rhabdomyolysis) and release a protein called myoglobin into the bloodstream. Myoglobin can impair kidney function and lead to kidney failure. Certain drugs when taken with statins can increase the risk of rhabdomyolysis. These include gemfibrozil, erythromycin (Erythrocin), antifungal medications, nefazodone (Serzone), cyclosporine and niacin. If you take statins and have new muscle aching or tenderness, consult with your doctor.

Avoid taking statins with grapefruit juice, which alters your body's metabolism of these drugs. Also, doctors generally recommend that people take statins late in the day because the body makes most of its cholesterol at night.

Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

You probably can't do anymore Peter. I know high cholesterol runs in some families. There seems to be a lot in the news lately about 'statins' but I'm not sure what they are, or whether they are vegan.

Jo

-

peter hurd

Friday, September 30, 2005 9:52 PM

I`m the same, I love Grapefruit, and thought the opposite about them? now I am confused. I`ve been vegan for 15 years and still have high cholestrol ( hereditary ) , though I have no doubt that it would be higher if I wasnt vegan.

I take a suppliment with EFA/GLA ( thanks Jo for the heads up), Dont eat much processed foods, salt, alcohol to excess, am only 10 stone at 44 years old, so dont know much else that I could do? Maybe give up the grapefruit?

The Valley Vegan.............

Ddim yn werth ei halen Not worth his salt

Guest guest

thanks from me as well!

i'm going to forward this to a friend who's complaining about joint pains (also without the fish part).... the negative comment about peanuts was surprising Anouk Sickler <zurumato wrote:

Hi jo,thanks for the article,I will foward it to my mom who has got arthritis. (I will cut out theeating fish part!)-anouk , "Jo Cwazy" <heartwork@c...> wrote:> Hi Jonnie> > I have this article saved on my pc because I think inflammationcauses so many diseases. > > Guidelines for an Anti-Inflammatory Lifestyle> Jacob Farin, N.D.>

Guest guest

peter-

i used to drink 2-3 glasses of grapefruit juice every day and completely stopped about 3 months ago --- switched to drinking much more water.... i'll have another cholesterol test later this month and if it shows a lower level i'll let ya knowpeter hurd <swpgh01 wrote:

I`m the same, I love Grapefruit, and thought the opposite about them? now I am confused. I`ve been vegan for 15 years and still have high cholestrol ( hereditary ) , though I have no doubt that it would be higher if I wasnt vegan.

I take a suppliment with EFA/GLA ( thanks Jo for the heads up), Dont eat much processed foods, salt, alcohol to excess, am only 10 stone at 44 years old, so dont know much else that I could do? Maybe give up the grapefruit?

Ddim yn werth ei halen Not worth his salt ank_art <ank_art wrote:

thanks!

i've been vegan for almost 3 years and was really shocked to find my cholesterol was high -- even though it runs in the family (all meat eaters)

i went to a nutritionist who's open to different diets and she suggested adding flaxseed and oatmeal and drinking more water

somewhere i read that certain meds recommend not eating grapefruit -- not sure if there's any connection with cholesterol production, but i had been drinking lots of gpfruit juice and completely stopped

just not sure if i'm missing something obvious.. have been searching online but not finding anything helpful ;(

heartwerk <heartwork wrote:

Hi AndreaHave you been vegan for long? Usually there shouldn't be too much problem with high cholesterol in vegans. I would make sure you get enough vitamin B complex and also take a good all round vitamin and mineral supplement with extra vitamin E and vitamin C.I'll have to dip into some of my books to see what else might help (I'm at work at present) and get back to you.Jo , ank_art <ank_art> wrote:> (head pops up in new jersey)> > hi natalia-> i've seen those colorful vitamin waters here -- they seem very popular... not sure if they're vegan since they contain lactates and vitamin B12 that may be animal-derived.... the company website is www.glaceau.com -- probably best to ask directly> are you looking for vitamin

supplements that are vegan? > > i'm curious if anyone has suggestions on vegan ways to lower cholesterol... would appreciate any suggestions... it's in my genes apparently and i want to avoid taking cholesterol-lowering drugs > > thanks!> andrea> > peter hurd <swpgh01@t...> wrote:> Welcome Natalia,> Sorry, but I have never heard of that product. I would suggest that you look up the manufacturer on the web, and look for the ingredients. Also look for a contact link, and send them an e-mail asking them.> > The Valley Vegan................> > > Po mwyaf y llanw, mwyaf y trai The greater the flow, the greater the ebb > > Natalia <natychaos> wrote:> Hi im new to the group, and I have recently become a vegan after > several years of being an octo-vegetarian. My question

is:> Is it ok to drink Glaceau Vitamin Water to help in my vegan diet? any > suggestions please let me know.> > Thanks,> NC> > > > > > > > To send an email to - >

Guest guest

Hi

I left the fish bit in only because I liked to give the whole report, but obviously we don't want that.

When I went to a nutritionist I was put on an exclusion diet for six months - no wheat, dairy (don't have that anyway), orange, peanuts, tomatoes etc. I eat peanut butter occasionally now, but it does give me indigestion.

Jo

-

ank_art

Sunday, October 02, 2005 5:10 PM

thanks from me as well!

i'm going to forward this to a friend who's complaining about joint pains (also without the fish part).... the negative comment about peanuts was surprising Anouk Sickler <zurumato wrote:

Hi jo,thanks for the article,I will foward it to my mom who has got arthritis. (I will cut out theeating fish part!)-anouk , "Jo Cwazy" <heartwork@c...> wrote:> Hi Jonnie> > I have this article saved on my pc because I think inflammationcauses so many diseases. > > Guidelines for an Anti-Inflammatory Lifestyle> Jacob Farin, N.D.>

Guest guest

Yes please let me know, and maybe ask your physician when you have the test. As long as your lifestyle/diet havent changed, it could be interesting.

The Valley Vegan............ank_art <ank_art wrote:

peter-

i used to drink 2-3 glasses of grapefruit juice every day and completely stopped about 3 months ago --- switched to drinking much more water.... i'll have another cholesterol test later this month and if it shows a lower level i'll let ya knowpeter hurd <swpgh01 wrote:

thanks!

i've been vegan for almost 3 years and was really shocked to find my cholesterol was high -- even though it runs in the family (all meat eaters)

i went to a nutritionist who's open to different diets and she suggested adding flaxseed and oatmeal and drinking more water

somewhere i read that certain meds recommend not eating grapefruit -- not sure if there's any connection with cholesterol production, but i had been drinking lots of gpfruit juice and completely stopped

just not sure if i'm missing something obvious.. have been searching online but not finding anything helpful ;(

Hi AndreaHave you been vegan for long? Usually there shouldn't be too much problem with high cholesterol in vegans. I would make sure you get enough vitamin B complex and also take a good all round vitamin and mineral supplement with extra vitamin E and vitamin C.I'll have to dip into some of my books to see what else might help (I'm at work at present) and get back to you.Jo , ank_art <ank_art> wrote:> (head pops up in new jersey)> > hi natalia-> i've seen those colorful vitamin waters here -- they seem very popular... not sure if they're vegan since they contain lactates and vitamin B12 that may be animal-derived.... the company website is www.glaceau.com -- probably best to ask directly> are you looking for vitamin

supplements that are vegan? > > i'm curious if anyone has suggestions on vegan ways to lower cholesterol... would appreciate any suggestions... it's in my genes apparently and i want to avoid taking cholesterol-lowering drugs > > thanks!> andrea> > peter hurd <swpgh01@t...> wrote:> Welcome Natalia,> Sorry, but I have never heard of that product. I would suggest that you look up the manufacturer on the web, and look for the ingredients. Also look for a contact link, and send them an e-mail asking them.> > The Valley Vegan................> > > Po mwyaf y llanw, mwyaf y trai The greater the flow, the greater the ebb > > Natalia <natychaos> wrote:> Hi im new to the group, and I have recently become a vegan after > several years of being an octo-vegetarian. My question

is:> Is it ok to drink Glaceau Vitamin Water to help in my vegan diet? any > suggestions please let me know.> > Thanks,> NC> > > > > > > > To send an email to - >

Guest guest

My doctor advised me that with my ( only slightly high ) cholestrol, that it would be better not to go on medication as the side effects could be worse than the condition!

The Valley Vegan............jo <jo.heartwork wrote:

Certainly doesn't sound worth taking them

Jo

-

ank_art

Sunday, October 02, 2005 3:32 PM

I think the typical cholesterol-lowering drug is a type of "statin"... sounds like taking them may have the same odds as flipping a coin -- or worse... I found this info on a medical website

Statins are a class of drugs used to lower blood cholesterol. They work in your liver to block a substance needed to make cholesterol. They may also help your body reabsorb cholesterol that has accumulated in plaques on your artery walls. This helps prevent further blockage in your blood vessels. Long-term use of statins may even reduce existing blockage in narrowed blood vessels.

Statins have many benefits. In some people, they can reduce the risk of heart attack and stroke. Like all medications, statins have potential side effects. Although statins are well tolerated by most people, the most common side effects are:

Nausea

Diarrhea

Constipation

Muscle aching

Elevated liver enzymes. Occasionally, statin use causes an increase in liver enzymes. If the increase is only mild, you can continue to take the drug. If the increase is severe, you may need to stop taking it, which usually reverses the problem. Certain other cholesterol-lowering drugs, such as gemfibrozil (Lopid) and niacin, increase the risk of liver problems in people who take statins. Because liver problems may develop without symptoms, people who take statins should have their liver function tested periodically.

Statin myopathy. Statins may cause muscle pain and tenderness (statin myopathy). In severe cases, muscle cells can break down (rhabdomyolysis) and release a protein called myoglobin into the bloodstream. Myoglobin can impair kidney function and lead to kidney failure. Certain drugs when taken with statins can increase the risk of rhabdomyolysis. These include gemfibrozil, erythromycin (Erythrocin), antifungal medications, nefazodone (Serzone), cyclosporine and niacin. If you take statins and have new muscle aching or tenderness, consult with your doctor.

Avoid taking statins with grapefruit juice, which alters your body's metabolism of these drugs. Also, doctors generally recommend that people take statins late in the day because the body makes most of its cholesterol at night.

You probably can't do anymore Peter. I know high cholesterol runs in some families. There seems to be a lot in the news lately about 'statins' but I'm not sure what they are, or whether they are vegan.

Jo

-

peter hurd

Ddim yn werth ei halen Not worth his salt Peter H

Messenger NEW - crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with voicemail

Guest guest

Grapefruit juice interacts with calcium channel blockers (including Calan, Procardia, Nifedipine, and Verapamil), cholesterol control medications, some psychiatric medications, estrogen, oral contraceptives and many allergy medications (Seldane, Hismanal). The juice modifies the body's way of metabolizing the medication, affecting the liver's ability to work the drug through a person's system. More Information. http://www.holistic-online.com/Herbal-Med/hol_herb_med_reac.htm

It is my understanding that grapefruit or juice do not cause higher cholesterol. Sadly, it is possible for vegans to have high cholesterol, since besides getting cholesterol from our food, we also manufacter the stuff and some of us (like me) make too much. I went to my cardiologist last week and the bummer is I have to go back on Vytorin. The med reduces cholesterol from our food, but also causes us to not make as much. The thing is, it's not only cholesterol that's the problem. You can have high or low cholesterol and still have heart probs (like me), or not. The prob is inflamation. I've had inflamation diseases all my life and while it isn't as much of a prob since I changed my diet, I still have a problem. The med also reduces inflamation. When your doc checks your cholesterol, he should also check for inflamation (which could be any inflamation in your body, so it's not as accurate as we would hope, but

when my inflamation factor was high, even tho my cholesterol wasn't that high, they went in to check things out and found I had blockage of 85% in one area and 50% in another. I also have a strong family history of early heart problems. I'm young-ish and look healthy) and evaluate your risk factors.ank_art <ank_art wrote:

peter-

thanks!

Guest guest

Hi Jonnie

In the past, inflammatory heart disease was caused by strep throat

causing rheumatic fever, and then leaving areas of inflammation in

the body. Is this the problem you have? You could try taking large

amounts of vitamin c to see if that would help.

Jo

, Jonnie Hellens

<jonnie_hellens> wrote:

>

> Grapefruit juice interacts with calcium channel blockers (including

Calan, Procardia, Nifedipine, and Verapamil), cholesterol control

medications, some psychiatric medications, estrogen, oral

contraceptives and many allergy medications (Seldane, Hismanal). The

juice modifies the body's way of metabolizing the medication,

affecting the liver's ability to work the drug through a person's

system. More Information. http://www.holistic-online.com/Herbal-

Med/hol_herb_med_reac.htm

>

>

>

>

>

> It is my understanding that grapefruit or juice do not cause higher

cholesterol. Sadly, it is possible for vegans to have high

cholesterol, since besides getting cholesterol from our food, we also

manufacter the stuff and some of us (like me) make too much. I went

to my cardiologist last week and the bummer is I have to go back on

Vytorin. The med reduces cholesterol from our food, but also causes

us to not make as much. The thing is, it's not only cholesterol

that's the problem. You can have high or low cholesterol and still

have heart probs (like me), or not. The prob is inflamation. I've

had inflamation diseases all my life and while it isn't as much of a

prob since I changed my diet, I still have a problem. The med also

reduces inflamation. When your doc checks your cholesterol, he

should also check for inflamation (which could be any inflamation in

your body, so it's not as accurate as we would hope, but when my

inflamation factor was high, even tho my cholesterol wasn't

> that high, they went in to check things out and found I had

blockage of 85% in one area and 50% in another. I also have a strong

family history of early heart problems. I'm young-ish and look

healthy) and evaluate your risk factors.

>

> ank_art <ank_art> wrote:

> peter-

> i used to drink 2-3 glasses of grapefruit juice every day and

completely stopped about 3 months ago --- switched to drinking much

more water.... i'll have another cholesterol test later this month

and if it shows a lower level i'll let ya know

>

> peter hurd <swpgh01@t...> wrote:

> I`m the same, I love Grapefruit, and thought the opposite about

them? now I am confused. I`ve been vegan for 15 years and still have

high cholestrol ( hereditary ) , though I have no doubt that it would

be higher if I wasnt vegan.

> I take a suppliment with EFA/GLA ( thanks Jo for the heads up),

Dont eat much processed foods, salt, alcohol to excess, am only 10

stone at 44 years old, so dont know much else that I could do? Maybe

give up the grapefruit?

>

>

> The Valley Vegan.............

> Ddim yn werth ei halen Not worth his salt

>

> thanks!

> i've been vegan for almost 3 years and was really shocked to find

my cholesterol was high -- even though it runs in the family (all

meat eaters)

> i went to a nutritionist who's open to different diets and she

suggested adding flaxseed and oatmeal and drinking more water

> somewhere i read that certain meds recommend not eating grapefruit -

- not sure if there's any connection with cholesterol production, but

i had been drinking lots of gpfruit juice and completely stopped

> just not sure if i'm missing something obvious.. have been

searching online but not finding anything helpful ;(

>

>

> heartwerk <heartwork@c...> wrote:

> Hi Andrea

>

> Have you been vegan for long? Usually there shouldn't be too much

> problem with high cholesterol in vegans. I would make sure you get

> enough vitamin B complex and also take a good all round vitamin and

> mineral supplement with extra vitamin E and vitamin C.

>

> I'll have to dip into some of my books to see what else might help

> (I'm at work at present) and get back to you.

>

> Jo

>

> , ank_art <ank_art> wrote:

> > (head pops up in new jersey)

> >

> > hi natalia-

> > i've seen those colorful vitamin waters here -- they seem very

> popular... not sure if they're vegan since they contain lactates

and

> vitamin B12 that may be animal-derived.... the company website is

> www.glaceau.com -- probably best to ask directly

> > are you looking for vitamin supplements that are vegan?

> >

> > i'm curious if anyone has suggestions on vegan ways to lower

> cholesterol... would appreciate any suggestions... it's in my genes

> apparently and i want to avoid taking cholesterol-lowering drugs

> >

> > thanks!

> > andrea

> >

> > peter hurd <swpgh01@t...> wrote:

> > Welcome Natalia,

> > Sorry, but I have never heard of that product. I would suggest

that

> you look up the manufacturer on the web, and look for the

> ingredients. Also look for a contact link, and send them an e-mail

> asking them.

> >

> > The Valley Vegan................

> >

> >

> > Po mwyaf y llanw, mwyaf y trai The greater the flow, the

> greater the ebb

> >

> > Natalia <natychaos> wrote:

> > Hi im new to the group, and I have recently become a vegan after

> > several years of being an octo-vegetarian. My question is:

> > Is it ok to drink Glaceau Vitamin Water to help in my vegan diet?

> any

> > suggestions please let me know.

> >

> > Thanks,

> > NC

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > To send an email to -

>

> >

Guest guest

Thanks Jo! Reading about the anit-inflammatory diet is what started me on the road to becomming a veggie. I've given up most everything that I've heard to be an issue, but I won't give up my morning Joe. I even rarely have chocolate, but coffee won because of all the sat fat in chocolate. I love good coffee. Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

LOL - you probably don't need an anti-inflammatory diet, so don't panic

!

Jo

-

peter hurd

Friday, September 30, 2005 9:46 PM

Re: Can anyone help me please:)

Well, I drink decaf, but hell no alcohol! please, no dont take my alcohol. I `m glad Frag wasnt here to see it, Id imagine his hair falling out ( if he wasnt bald)

Fel iar glwc Miserable Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

Hi Jonnie

I have this article saved on my pc because I think inflammation causes so many diseases.

Guidelines for an Anti-Inflammatory LifestyleJacob Farin, N.D.The main reason people seek a physician's advice is for pain relief.Although there are numerous botanical and nutritional treatments toreduce pain and inflammation, the main naturopathic defenses are foods.By paying attention to the foods that we eat, we can reduce theoccurrence of pain and inflammation. Mark, who came to me for treatmentof ulcerative colitis, experienced significant improvement when hefollowed this outline for an anti-inflammatory lifestyle. Within 3months, he was nearly symptom free and was able to treat himself to aday of indulgence at his daughter's wedding. Best of all, he experiencedno ill effect.1. Eliminate pro-inflammatory foodsRed Meats and

Peanuts: These foods contain high levels of arachidonicacid, a type of fatty acid that converts into inflammatory mediators.Removing these foods from the diet decreases the levels of arachidonicacid in the body and reduces the occurrence of inflammation.Caffeine, fried foods, carbonated drinks, alcohol: These foods greatlyincrease oxidation and free radicals, both of which initiate theinflammatory process, and makes one prone towards inflammation.Food allergies: Foods that do not agree with us can produce metabolitesthat interfere with normal bodily function and impair expedient healingof inflamed tissues. Many people experience long-term relief of painwith the simple elimination of food allergens such as wheat and dairy,especially those with long-term intestinal disorders.2. Implement a plant-based dietVegetables and fruits: These foods are rich in carotenoids andbioflavonoids that are powerful antioxidants,

preventing free radicalproduction and reducing the occurrence of inflammation. The more richlycolored the fruit or vegetable, the more antioxidants it contains. Makesure every meal contains a healthy serving of fruits or vegetablesCold water fish: Salmon, halibut, mackerel, tuna, trout and other coldwater fish contain lots of omega-3 fatty acids. These fatty acids offsetthe production of arachidonic acid, as well as favor the production ofmediators that inhibit inflammation. Eat at least 3 servings of fishevery week.Flax oil: This is rich in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids which worksimilarly to fish oils to help reduce inflammation. Use it in salads orin fruit smoothies, but never cook with it because of its strongtendency towards being oxidized.Ginger: Ginger has been shown to be a powerful anti-inflammatory agent.Use it freely in your cooking or make a tea with it. It also helpsreduce nausea and some forms of

abdominal distress.Whole grains, legumes, soy products: These foods are great sources forprotein without the pro-inflammatory arachidonic acid. Skinless chickenbreasts may also be added since most of the fat is found in the skin.3. Nutritional supplementsCorrect nutritional deficiencies: Nutritional deficiencies canexacerbate pain and inflammation by slowing down the healing process ofinjured tissues. It is well established that deficiencies in zinc andvitamins C and A can delay wound healing. Deficiencies in minerals, suchas calcium and magnesium, can also aggravate muscular pain.Antioxidants: Powerful antioxidants include vitamins A, C and E,carotenoids and bioflavonoids, along with selenium and glutathione.4. Move that body!Exercise: Not only is exercise a great way to relieve stress andtension, but it promotes circulation, allowing vital nutrients todiffuse throughout the body, while flushing out

metabolic waste.Exercise does not have to be strenuous. Daily walking or yoga isadequate enough to get the blood moving.Let this guideline for an anti-inflammatory lifestyle be a part of yournatural management for pain and inflammation.

Peter H

To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security Centre. Jonnie

for Good Click here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.

Guest guest

My cardiologist said that liver problems are rare on the drug I am on, Vytorin. He said that the 1% of people who have problems, it's usually noticed right away. They tested me after I had been on 2 months and will again next month. I understand they will test me every 6 months to be sure. I'm not always sure I can trust docs tho, has anyone heard anything else?ank_art <ank_art wrote:

Nausea

Diarrhea

Constipation

Muscle aching

Jo

-

peter hurd

Ddim yn werth ei halen Not worth his salt Jonnie

Guest guest

Hi Jonnie-

this is great.... i've been looking for more info about grapefruit and the website you listed has lots of details!

it's also helpful to check out the listing of other foods that counteract specific medication

thanks-

Andrea

Jonnie Hellens <jonnie_hellens wrote:

Grapefruit juice interacts with calcium channel blockers (including Calan, Procardia, Nifedipine, and Verapamil), cholesterol control medications, some psychiatric medications, estrogen, oral contraceptives and many allergy medications (Seldane, Hismanal). The juice modifies the body's way of metabolizing the medication, affecting the liver's ability to work the drug through a person's system. More Information. http://www.holistic-online.com/Herbal-Med/hol_herb_med_reac.htm

It is my understanding that grapefruit or juice do not cause higher cholesterol. Sadly, it is possible for vegans to have high cholesterol, since besides getting cholesterol from our food, we also manufacter the stuff and some of us (like me) make too much. I went to my cardiologist last week and the bummer is I have to go back on Vytorin. The med reduces cholesterol from our food, but also causes us to not make as much. The thing is, it's not only cholesterol that's the problem. You can have high or low cholesterol and still have heart probs (like me), or not. The prob is inflamation. I've had inflamation diseases all my life and while it isn't as much of a prob since I changed my diet, I still have a problem. The med also reduces inflamation. When your doc checks your cholesterol, he should also check for inflamation (which could be any inflamation in your body, so it's not as accurate as we would hope, but

when my inflamation factor was high, even tho my cholesterol wasn't that high, they went in to check things out and found I had blockage of 85% in one area and 50% in another. I also have a strong family history of early heart problems. I'm young-ish and look healthy) and evaluate your risk factors.ank_art <ank_art wrote:

peter-

Ddim yn werth ei halen Not worth his salt

Guest guest

Hi JOnnie

Actually ...... it is said that dark chocolate (vegan variety) with

70% cocoa in it is good for the heart and arteries. In the milk

variety, the milk is bad for them. Coffee is not good for arteries

at all. The caffeine contained in coffee makes the arteries go quite

stiff for about six hours after drinking a cup - so if your arteries

are narrowed through inflammation (lack of vitamin C) and you do

something that can make them go stiff for a while you could be in for

trouble.

BB

Jo

, Jonnie Hellens

<jonnie_hellens> wrote:

> Thanks Jo! Reading about the anit-inflammatory diet is what

started me on the road to becomming a veggie. I've given up most

everything that I've heard to be an issue, but I won't give up my

morning Joe. I even rarely have chocolate, but coffee won because of

all the sat fat in chocolate. I love good coffee.

>

> Jo Cwazy <heartwork@c...> wrote:LOL - you probably don't need an

anti-inflammatory diet, so don't panic

> !

>

> Jo

> -

> peter hurd

>

> Friday, September 30, 2005 9:46 PM

> Re: Can anyone help me please:)

>

>

> Well, I drink decaf, but hell no alcohol! please, no dont take my

alcohol. I `m glad Frag wasnt here to see it, Id imagine his hair

falling out ( if he wasnt bald)

>

> The Valley Vegan.............

> Fel iar glwc Miserable

>

> Jo Cwazy <heartwork@c...> wrote:

> Hi Jonnie

>

> I have this article saved on my pc because I think inflammation

causes so many diseases.

>

> Guidelines for an Anti-Inflammatory Lifestyle

> Jacob Farin, N.D.

>

>

> The main reason people seek a physician's advice is for pain relief.

> Although there are numerous botanical and nutritional treatments to

> reduce pain and inflammation, the main naturopathic defenses are

foods.

> By paying attention to the foods that we eat, we can reduce the

> occurrence of pain and inflammation. Mark, who came to me for

treatment

> of ulcerative colitis, experienced significant improvement when he

> followed this outline for an anti-inflammatory lifestyle. Within 3

> months, he was nearly symptom free and was able to treat himself to

a

> day of indulgence at his daughter's wedding. Best of all, he

experienced

> no ill effect.

>

> 1. Eliminate pro-inflammatory foods

>

> Red Meats and Peanuts: These foods contain high levels of

arachidonic

> acid, a type of fatty acid that converts into inflammatory

mediators.

> Removing these foods from the diet decreases the levels of

arachidonic

> acid in the body and reduces the occurrence of inflammation.

>

> Caffeine, fried foods, carbonated drinks, alcohol: These foods

greatly

> increase oxidation and free radicals, both of which initiate the

> inflammatory process, and makes one prone towards inflammation.

>

> Food allergies: Foods that do not agree with us can produce

metabolites

> that interfere with normal bodily function and impair expedient

healing

> of inflamed tissues. Many people experience long-term relief of pain

> with the simple elimination of food allergens such as wheat and

dairy,

> especially those with long-term intestinal disorders.

>

> 2. Implement a plant-based diet

>

> Vegetables and fruits: These foods are rich in carotenoids and

> bioflavonoids that are powerful antioxidants, preventing free

radical

> production and reducing the occurrence of inflammation. The more

richly

> colored the fruit or vegetable, the more antioxidants it contains.

Make

> sure every meal contains a healthy serving of fruits or vegetables

>

> Cold water fish: Salmon, halibut, mackerel, tuna, trout and other

cold

> water fish contain lots of omega-3 fatty acids. These fatty acids

offset

> the production of arachidonic acid, as well as favor the production

of

> mediators that inhibit inflammation. Eat at least 3 servings of fish

> every week.

>

> Flax oil: This is rich in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids which work

> similarly to fish oils to help reduce inflammation. Use it in

salads or

> in fruit smoothies, but never cook with it because of its strong

> tendency towards being oxidized.

>

> Ginger: Ginger has been shown to be a powerful anti-inflammatory

agent.

> Use it freely in your cooking or make a tea with it. It also helps

> reduce nausea and some forms of abdominal distress.

>

> Whole grains, legumes, soy products: These foods are great sources

for

> protein without the pro-inflammatory arachidonic acid. Skinless

chicken

> breasts may also be added since most of the fat is found in the

skin.

>

> 3. Nutritional supplements

>

> Correct nutritional deficiencies: Nutritional deficiencies can

> exacerbate pain and inflammation by slowing down the healing

process of

> injured tissues. It is well established that deficiencies in zinc

and

> vitamins C and A can delay wound healing. Deficiencies in minerals,

such

> as calcium and magnesium, can also aggravate muscular pain.

>

> Antioxidants: Powerful antioxidants include vitamins A, C and E,

> carotenoids and bioflavonoids, along with selenium and glutathione.

>

> 4. Move that body!

>

> Exercise: Not only is exercise a great way to relieve stress and

> tension, but it promotes circulation, allowing vital nutrients to

> diffuse throughout the body, while flushing out metabolic waste.

> Exercise does not have to be strenuous. Daily walking or yoga is

> adequate enough to get the blood moving.

>

> Let this guideline for an anti-inflammatory lifestyle be a part of

your

> natural management for pain and inflammation.

>

>

> Peter H

>

>

>

>

> To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all

new Security Centre.

>

> To send an email to -

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

Thanks Jo! (not sure if I thanks you already or not, but one can never be thanked enuf anyway)Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

Hi Jonnie

I have this article saved on my pc because I think inflammation causes so many diseases.

Guidelines for an Anti-Inflammatory LifestyleJacob Farin, N.D.The main reason people seek a physician's advice is for pain relief.Although there are numerous botanical and nutritional treatments toreduce pain and inflammation, the main naturopathic defenses are foods.By paying attention to the foods that we eat, we can reduce theoccurrence of pain and inflammation. Mark, who came to me for treatmentof ulcerative colitis, experienced significant improvement when hefollowed this outline for an anti-inflammatory lifestyle. Within 3months, he was nearly symptom free and was able to treat himself to aday of indulgence at his daughter's wedding. Best of all, he experiencedno ill effect.1. Eliminate pro-inflammatory foodsRed Meats and

Peanuts: These foods contain high levels of arachidonicacid, a type of fatty acid that converts into inflammatory mediators.Removing these foods from the diet decreases the levels of arachidonicacid in the body and reduces the occurrence of inflammation.Caffeine, fried foods, carbonated drinks, alcohol: These foods greatlyincrease oxidation and free radicals, both of which initiate theinflammatory process, and makes one prone towards inflammation.Food allergies: Foods that do not agree with us can produce metabolitesthat interfere with normal bodily function and impair expedient healingof inflamed tissues. Many people experience long-term relief of painwith the simple elimination of food allergens such as wheat and dairy,especially those with long-term intestinal disorders.2. Implement a plant-based dietVegetables and fruits: These foods are rich in carotenoids andbioflavonoids that are powerful antioxidants,

preventing free radicalproduction and reducing the occurrence of inflammation. The more richlycolored the fruit or vegetable, the more antioxidants it contains. Makesure every meal contains a healthy serving of fruits or vegetablesCold water fish: Salmon, halibut, mackerel, tuna, trout and other coldwater fish contain lots of omega-3 fatty acids. These fatty acids offsetthe production of arachidonic acid, as well as favor the production ofmediators that inhibit inflammation. Eat at least 3 servings of fishevery week.Flax oil: This is rich in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids which worksimilarly to fish oils to help reduce inflammation. Use it in salads orin fruit smoothies, but never cook with it because of its strongtendency towards being oxidized.Ginger: Ginger has been shown to be a powerful anti-inflammatory agent.Use it freely in your cooking or make a tea with it. It also helpsreduce nausea and some forms of

abdominal distress.Whole grains, legumes, soy products: These foods are great sources forprotein without the pro-inflammatory arachidonic acid. Skinless chickenbreasts may also be added since most of the fat is found in the skin.3. Nutritional supplementsCorrect nutritional deficiencies: Nutritional deficiencies canexacerbate pain and inflammation by slowing down the healing process ofinjured tissues. It is well established that deficiencies in zinc andvitamins C and A can delay wound healing. Deficiencies in minerals, suchas calcium and magnesium, can also aggravate muscular pain.Antioxidants: Powerful antioxidants include vitamins A, C and E,carotenoids and bioflavonoids, along with selenium and glutathione.4. Move that body!Exercise: Not only is exercise a great way to relieve stress andtension, but it promotes circulation, allowing vital nutrients todiffuse throughout the body, while flushing out

metabolic waste.Exercise does not have to be strenuous. Daily walking or yoga isadequate enough to get the blood moving.Let this guideline for an anti-inflammatory lifestyle be a part of yournatural management for pain and inflammation.Jonnie

Guest guest

here's a healthy reason to eat more chocolate --- Lindt has a fantastic 80% cocoa bar if you like semi-sweet...mmm-mmm ;)

Eating 2 ounces (50 grams) a day of plain chocolate with a minimum content of 70% chocolate solids can be beneficial to health, providing protection against heart disease, high blood pressure, and many other health hazards as well as essential trace elements and nutrients such as iron, calcium and potassium, and vitamins A. B1, C, D, and E and it's a lot tastier than boring old vitamin pills too. A 1 1/2-ounce square of chocolate may have as many cancer-fighting antioxidants as a five-ounce glass of red wine.

andreaheartwerk <jo.heartwork wrote:

Hi JOnnieActually ...... it is said that dark chocolate (vegan variety) with 70% cocoa in it is good for the heart and arteries. In the milk variety, the milk is bad for them. Coffee is not good for arteries at all. The caffeine contained in coffee makes the arteries go quite stiff for about six hours after drinking a cup - so if your arteries are narrowed through inflammation (lack of vitamin C) and you do something that can make them go stiff for a while you could be in for trouble.BBJo , Jonnie Hellens <jonnie_hellens> wrote:> Thanks Jo! Reading about the anit-inflammatory diet is what started me on the road to becomming a veggie. I've given up most everything that I've heard to be an issue, but I won't give up my morning

Joe. I even rarely have chocolate, but coffee won because of all the sat fat in chocolate. I love good coffee. > > Jo Cwazy <heartwork@c...> wrote:LOL - you probably don't need an anti-inflammatory diet, so don't panic> !> > Jo> - > peter hurd > > Friday, September 30, 2005 9:46 PM> Re: Can anyone help me please:)> > > Well, I drink decaf, but hell no alcohol! please, no dont take my alcohol. I `m glad Frag wasnt here to see it, Id imagine his hair falling out ( if he wasnt bald)> > The Valley Vegan.............> Fel iar glwc Miserable > > Jo Cwazy <heartwork@c...> wrote:> Hi Jonnie> > I have this article saved on my pc because I think inflammation causes so

many diseases. > > Guidelines for an Anti-Inflammatory Lifestyle> Jacob Farin, N.D.> > > The main reason people seek a physician's advice is for pain relief.> Although there are numerous botanical and nutritional treatments to> reduce pain and inflammation, the main naturopathic defenses are foods.> By paying attention to the foods that we eat, we can reduce the> occurrence of pain and inflammation. Mark, who came to me for treatment> of ulcerative colitis, experienced significant improvement when he> followed this outline for an anti-inflammatory lifestyle. Within 3> months, he was nearly symptom free and was able to treat himself to a> day of indulgence at his daughter's wedding. Best of all, he experienced> no ill effect.> > 1. Eliminate pro-inflammatory foods> > Red Meats and Peanuts: These foods contain high levels of

arachidonic> acid, a type of fatty acid that converts into inflammatory mediators.> Removing these foods from the diet decreases the levels of arachidonic> acid in the body and reduces the occurrence of inflammation.> > Caffeine, fried foods, carbonated drinks, alcohol: These foods greatly> increase oxidation and free radicals, both of which initiate the> inflammatory process, and makes one prone towards inflammation.> > Food allergies: Foods that do not agree with us can produce metabolites> that interfere with normal bodily function and impair expedient healing> of inflamed tissues. Many people experience long-term relief of pain> with the simple elimination of food allergens such as wheat and dairy,> especially those with long-term intestinal disorders.> > 2. Implement a plant-based diet> > Vegetables and fruits: These foods are rich

in carotenoids and> bioflavonoids that are powerful antioxidants, preventing free radical> production and reducing the occurrence of inflammation. The more richly> colored the fruit or vegetable, the more antioxidants it contains. Make> sure every meal contains a healthy serving of fruits or vegetables> > Cold water fish: Salmon, halibut, mackerel, tuna, trout and other cold> water fish contain lots of omega-3 fatty acids. These fatty acids offset> the production of arachidonic acid, as well as favor the production of> mediators that inhibit inflammation. Eat at least 3 servings of fish> every week.> > Flax oil: This is rich in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids which work> similarly to fish oils to help reduce inflammation. Use it in salads or> in fruit smoothies, but never cook with it because of its strong> tendency towards being oxidized.>

> Ginger: Ginger has been shown to be a powerful anti-inflammatory agent.> Use it freely in your cooking or make a tea with it. It also helps> reduce nausea and some forms of abdominal distress.> > Whole grains, legumes, soy products: These foods are great sources for> protein without the pro-inflammatory arachidonic acid. Skinless chicken> breasts may also be added since most of the fat is found in the skin.> > 3. Nutritional supplements> > Correct nutritional deficiencies: Nutritional deficiencies can> exacerbate pain and inflammation by slowing down the healing process of> injured tissues. It is well established that deficiencies in zinc and> vitamins C and A can delay wound healing. Deficiencies in minerals, such> as calcium and magnesium, can also aggravate muscular pain.> > Antioxidants: Powerful antioxidants include vitamins A, C

and E,> carotenoids and bioflavonoids, along with selenium and glutathione.> > 4. Move that body!> > Exercise: Not only is exercise a great way to relieve stress and> tension, but it promotes circulation, allowing vital nutrients to> diffuse throughout the body, while flushing out metabolic waste.> Exercise does not have to be strenuous. Daily walking or yoga is> adequate enough to get the blood moving.> > Let this guideline for an anti-inflammatory lifestyle be a part of your> natural management for pain and inflammation.> > > Peter H > > > > > To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security Centre. > > To send an email to - > > > >

Guest guest

i think vytorin has the same possible muscle ache/weakness and liver problem warnings as lipitor (my mom was taking this) -- but these side-effects would show up pretty quickly.... not sure of any statistics

good idea to check every 6 months -- just to be safe

My cardiologist said that liver problems are rare on the drug I am on, Vytorin. He said that the 1% of people who have problems, it's usually noticed right away. They tested me after I had been on 2 months and will again next month. I understand they will test me every 6 months to be sure. I'm not always sure I can trust docs tho, has anyone heard anything else?ank_art <ank_art wrote:

Nausea

Diarrhea

Constipation

Muscle aching

Jo

-

peter hurd

for GoodClick here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.

Guest guest

Thanks for the info - it sounds like a good excuse for me to eat some

chocolate after dinner (I don't drink wine).

Jo

, ank_art <ank_art> wrote:

>

> here's a healthy reason to eat more chocolate --- Lindt has a

fantastic 80% cocoa bar if you like semi-sweet...mmm-mmm ;)

>

> Eating 2 ounces (50 grams) a day of plain chocolate with a minimum

content of 70% chocolate solids can be beneficial to health,

providing protection against heart disease, high blood pressure, and

many other health hazards as well as essential trace elements and

nutrients such as iron, calcium and potassium, and vitamins A. B1, C,

D, and E and it's a lot tastier than boring old vitamin pills too. A

1 1/2-ounce square of chocolate may have as many cancer-fighting

antioxidants as a five-ounce glass of red wine.

>

> andrea

>

> heartwerk <jo.heartwork@g...> wrote:Hi JOnnie

>

> Actually ...... it is said that dark chocolate (vegan variety) with

> 70% cocoa in it is good for the heart and arteries. In the milk

> variety, the milk is bad for them. Coffee is not good for arteries

> at all. The caffeine contained in coffee makes the arteries go

quite

> stiff for about six hours after drinking a cup - so if your

arteries

> are narrowed through inflammation (lack of vitamin C) and you do

> something that can make them go stiff for a while you could be in

for

> trouble.

>

> BB

> Jo

>

> , Jonnie Hellens

> <jonnie_hellens> wrote:

> > Thanks Jo! Reading about the anit-inflammatory diet is what

> started me on the road to becomming a veggie. I've given up most

> everything that I've heard to be an issue, but I won't give up my

> morning Joe. I even rarely have chocolate, but coffee won because

of

> all the sat fat in chocolate. I love good coffee.

> >

> > Jo Cwazy <heartwork@c...> wrote:LOL - you probably don't need an

> anti-inflammatory diet, so don't panic

> > !

> >

> > Jo

> > -

> > peter hurd

> >

> > Friday, September 30, 2005 9:46 PM

> > Re: Can anyone help me please:)

> >

> >

> > Well, I drink decaf, but hell no alcohol! please, no dont take my

> alcohol. I `m glad Frag wasnt here to see it, Id imagine his hair

> falling out ( if he wasnt bald)

> >

> > The Valley Vegan.............

> > Fel iar glwc Miserable

> >

> > Jo Cwazy <heartwork@c...> wrote:

> > Hi Jonnie

> >

> > I have this article saved on my pc because I think inflammation

> causes so many diseases.

> >

> > Guidelines for an Anti-Inflammatory Lifestyle

> > Jacob Farin, N.D.

> >

> >

> > The main reason people seek a physician's advice is for pain

relief.

> > Although there are numerous botanical and nutritional treatments

to

> > reduce pain and inflammation, the main naturopathic defenses are

> foods.

> > By paying attention to the foods that we eat, we can reduce the

> > occurrence of pain and inflammation. Mark, who came to me for

> treatment

> > of ulcerative colitis, experienced significant improvement when he

> > followed this outline for an anti-inflammatory lifestyle. Within 3

> > months, he was nearly symptom free and was able to treat himself

to

> a

> > day of indulgence at his daughter's wedding. Best of all, he

> experienced

> > no ill effect.

> >

> > 1. Eliminate pro-inflammatory foods

> >

> > Red Meats and Peanuts: These foods contain high levels of

> arachidonic

> > acid, a type of fatty acid that converts into inflammatory

> mediators.

> > Removing these foods from the diet decreases the levels of

> arachidonic

> > acid in the body and reduces the occurrence of inflammation.

> >

> > Caffeine, fried foods, carbonated drinks, alcohol: These foods

> greatly

> > increase oxidation and free radicals, both of which initiate the

> > inflammatory process, and makes one prone towards inflammation.

> >

> > Food allergies: Foods that do not agree with us can produce

> metabolites

> > that interfere with normal bodily function and impair expedient

> healing

> > of inflamed tissues. Many people experience long-term relief of

pain

> > with the simple elimination of food allergens such as wheat and

> dairy,

> > especially those with long-term intestinal disorders.

> >

> > 2. Implement a plant-based diet

> >

> > Vegetables and fruits: These foods are rich in carotenoids and

> > bioflavonoids that are powerful antioxidants, preventing free

> radical

> > production and reducing the occurrence of inflammation. The more

> richly

> > colored the fruit or vegetable, the more antioxidants it

contains.

> Make

> > sure every meal contains a healthy serving of fruits or vegetables

> >

> > Cold water fish: Salmon, halibut, mackerel, tuna, trout and other

> cold

> > water fish contain lots of omega-3 fatty acids. These fatty acids

> offset

> > the production of arachidonic acid, as well as favor the

production

> of

> > mediators that inhibit inflammation. Eat at least 3 servings of

fish

> > every week.

> >

> > Flax oil: This is rich in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids which

work

> > similarly to fish oils to help reduce inflammation. Use it in

> salads or

> > in fruit smoothies, but never cook with it because of its strong

> > tendency towards being oxidized.

> >

> > Ginger: Ginger has been shown to be a powerful anti-inflammatory

> agent.

> > Use it freely in your cooking or make a tea with it. It also helps

> > reduce nausea and some forms of abdominal distress.

> >

> > Whole grains, legumes, soy products: These foods are great

sources

> for

> > protein without the pro-inflammatory arachidonic acid. Skinless

> chicken

> > breasts may also be added since most of the fat is found in the

> skin.

> >

> > 3. Nutritional supplements

> >

> > Correct nutritional deficiencies: Nutritional deficiencies can

> > exacerbate pain and inflammation by slowing down the healing

> process of

> > injured tissues. It is well established that deficiencies in zinc

> and

> > vitamins C and A can delay wound healing. Deficiencies in

minerals,

> such

> > as calcium and magnesium, can also aggravate muscular pain.

> >

> > Antioxidants: Powerful antioxidants include vitamins A, C and E,

> > carotenoids and bioflavonoids, along with selenium and

glutathione.

> >

> > 4. Move that body!

> >

> > Exercise: Not only is exercise a great way to relieve stress and

> > tension, but it promotes circulation, allowing vital nutrients to

> > diffuse throughout the body, while flushing out metabolic waste.

> > Exercise does not have to be strenuous. Daily walking or yoga is

> > adequate enough to get the blood moving.

> >

> > Let this guideline for an anti-inflammatory lifestyle be a part

of

> your

> > natural management for pain and inflammation.

> >

> >

> > Peter H

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all

> new Security Centre.

> >

>

> >

> >

> >

> >

Guest guest

Oh no! Give up my yummy coffee? Boo hoo.... Makes one kinda wonder, which is better? Living longer or living a shorter life filled with the 'good' things? Hmmm... quality or quantity?ank_art <ank_art wrote:

here's a healthy reason to eat more chocolate --- Lindt has a fantastic 80% cocoa bar if you like semi-sweet...mmm-mmm ;)

Eating 2 ounces (50 grams) a day of plain chocolate with a minimum content of 70% chocolate solids can be beneficial to health, providing protection against heart disease, high blood pressure, and many other health hazards as well as essential trace elements and nutrients such as iron, calcium and potassium, and vitamins A. B1, C, D, and E and it's a lot tastier than boring old vitamin pills too. A 1 1/2-ounce square of chocolate may have as many cancer-fighting antioxidants as a five-ounce glass of red wine.

andreaheartwerk <jo.heartwork wrote: Hi JOnnieActually ...... it is said that dark chocolate (vegan variety) with 70% cocoa in it is good for the heart and arteries. In the milk variety, the milk is bad for them. Coffee is not good for arteries at all. The caffeine contained in coffee makes the arteries go quite stiff for about six hours after drinking a cup - so if your arteries are narrowed through inflammation (lack of vitamin C) and you do something that can make them go stiff for a while you could be in for trouble.BBJo , Jonnie Hellens <jonnie_hellens> wrote:> Thanks Jo! Reading about the anit-inflammatory diet is what started me on the road to becomming a veggie. I've given up most everything that I've heard to be an issue, but I won't give up my morning

Joe. I even rarely have chocolate, but coffee won because of all the sat fat in chocolate. I love good coffee. > > Jo Cwazy <heartwork@c...> wrote:LOL - you probably don't need an anti-inflammatory diet, so don't panic> !> > Jo> - > peter hurd > > Friday, September 30, 2005 9:46 PM> Re: Can anyone help me please:)> > > Well, I drink decaf, but hell no alcohol! please, no dont take my alcohol. I `m glad Frag wasnt here to see it, Id imagine his hair falling out ( if he wasnt bald)> > The Valley Vegan.............> Fel iar glwc Miserable > > Jo Cwazy <heartwork@c...> wrote:> Hi Jonnie> > I have this article saved on my pc because I think inflammation causes so

many diseases. > > Guidelines for an Anti-Inflammatory Lifestyle> Jacob Farin, N.D.> > > The main reason people seek a physician's advice is for pain relief.> Although there are numerous botanical and nutritional treatments to> reduce pain and inflammation, the main naturopathic defenses are foods.> By paying attention to the foods that we eat, we can reduce the> occurrence of pain and inflammation. Mark, who came to me for treatment> of ulcerative colitis, experienced significant improvement when he> followed this outline for an anti-inflammatory lifestyle. Within 3> months, he was nearly symptom free and was able to treat himself to a> day of indulgence at his daughter's wedding. Best of all, he experienced> no ill effect.> > 1. Eliminate pro-inflammatory foods> > Red Meats and Peanuts: These foods contain high levels of

arachidonic> acid, a type of fatty acid that converts into inflammatory mediators.> Removing these foods from the diet decreases the levels of arachidonic> acid in the body and reduces the occurrence of inflammation.> > Caffeine, fried foods, carbonated drinks, alcohol: These foods greatly> increase oxidation and free radicals, both of which initiate the> inflammatory process, and makes one prone towards inflammation.> > Food allergies: Foods that do not agree with us can produce metabolites> that interfere with normal bodily function and impair expedient healing> of inflamed tissues. Many people experience long-term relief of pain> with the simple elimination of food allergens such as wheat and dairy,> especially those with long-term intestinal disorders.> > 2. Implement a plant-based diet> > Vegetables and fruits: These foods are rich

in carotenoids and> bioflavonoids that are powerful antioxidants, preventing free radical> production and reducing the occurrence of inflammation. The more richly> colored the fruit or vegetable, the more antioxidants it contains. Make> sure every meal contains a healthy serving of fruits or vegetables> > Cold water fish: Salmon, halibut, mackerel, tuna, trout and other cold> water fish contain lots of omega-3 fatty acids. These fatty acids offset> the production of arachidonic acid, as well as favor the production of> mediators that inhibit inflammation. Eat at least 3 servings of fish> every week.> > Flax oil: This is rich in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids which work> similarly to fish oils to help reduce inflammation. Use it in salads or> in fruit smoothies, but never cook with it because of its strong> tendency towards being oxidized.>

> Ginger: Ginger has been shown to be a powerful anti-inflammatory agent.> Use it freely in your cooking or make a tea with it. It also helps> reduce nausea and some forms of abdominal distress.> > Whole grains, legumes, soy products: These foods are great sources for> protein without the pro-inflammatory arachidonic acid. Skinless chicken> breasts may also be added since most of the fat is found in the skin.> > 3. Nutritional supplements> > Correct nutritional deficiencies: Nutritional deficiencies can> exacerbate pain and inflammation by slowing down the healing process of> injured tissues. It is well established that deficiencies in zinc and> vitamins C and A can delay wound healing. Deficiencies in minerals, such> as calcium and magnesium, can also aggravate muscular pain.> > Antioxidants: Powerful antioxidants include vitamins A, C

and E,> carotenoids and bioflavonoids, along with selenium and glutathione.> > 4. Move that body!> > Exercise: Not only is exercise a great way to relieve stress and> tension, but it promotes circulation, allowing vital nutrients to> diffuse throughout the body, while flushing out metabolic waste.> Exercise does not have to be strenuous. Daily walking or yoga is> adequate enough to get the blood moving.> > Let this guideline for an anti-inflammatory lifestyle be a part of your> natural management for pain and inflammation.> > > Peter H > > > > > To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security Centre. > > To send an email to - > > > >

Guest guest

I understand that vytorin has 'lipitor' in it but also a drug to slow the manufacter of cholesterol in the liver too. I am feeling better since I went back on it and aspirin therepy, but don't like that fact at all as I would much prefer to do as little drugs as possible. I have to take something for my asthma too. I had some guy giving me the riot act the other day saying that I shouldn't take anything that I can do it all with herbs. Hey if that were the case, that would be cool, but it doesn't seem to be. Someone said that vit e is a good blood thinner, but it wasn't at all for me.ank_art <ank_art wrote:

i think vytorin has the same possible muscle ache/weakness and liver problem warnings as lipitor (my mom was taking this) -- but these side-effects would show up pretty quickly.... not sure of any statistics

good idea to check every 6 months -- just to be safe

Nausea

Diarrhea

Constipation

Muscle aching

Jo

-

peter hurd

for GoodClick here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort. Jonnie

Guest guest

I was drinking a glass or two most days and really enjoyed it, but found that I was having problems with it and my meds. And sorry to say this (fraggle cover your ears) beer was starting to make me very ill. After the last glass I had (and yes, it was only *part* of one glass), I haven't been interested in any alcohol since. heartwerk <jo.heartwork wrote:

Thanks for the info - it sounds like a good excuse for me to eat some chocolate after dinner (I don't drink wine).Jo , ank_art <ank_art> wrote:> > here's a healthy reason to eat more chocolate --- Lindt has a fantastic 80% cocoa bar if you like semi-sweet...mmm-mmm ;)> > Eating 2 ounces (50 grams) a day of plain chocolate with a minimum content of 70% chocolate solids can be beneficial to health, providing protection against heart disease, high blood pressure, and many other health hazards as well as essential trace elements and nutrients such as iron, calcium and potassium, and vitamins A. B1, C, D, and E and it's a lot tastier than boring old vitamin pills too. A 1 1/2-ounce square of chocolate may have as many cancer-fighting antioxidants as a five-ounce

glass of red wine.> > andrea> > heartwerk <jo.heartwork@g...> wrote:Hi JOnnie> > Actually ...... it is said that dark chocolate (vegan variety) with > 70% cocoa in it is good for the heart and arteries. In the milk > variety, the milk is bad for them. Coffee is not good for arteries > at all. The caffeine contained in coffee makes the arteries go quite > stiff for about six hours after drinking a cup - so if your arteries > are narrowed through inflammation (lack of vitamin C) and you do > something that can make them go stiff for a while you could be in for > trouble.> > BB> Jo> > , Jonnie Hellens > <jonnie_hellens> wrote:> > Thanks Jo! Reading about the anit-inflammatory diet is what > started me on the road to becomming a veggie. I've given

up most > everything that I've heard to be an issue, but I won't give up my > morning Joe. I even rarely have chocolate, but coffee won because of > all the sat fat in chocolate. I love good coffee. > > > > Jo Cwazy <heartwork@c...> wrote:LOL - you probably don't need an > anti-inflammatory diet, so don't panic> > !> > > > Jo> > - > > peter hurd > > > > Friday, September 30, 2005 9:46 PM> > Re: Can anyone help me please:)> > > > > > Well, I drink decaf, but hell no alcohol! please, no dont take my > alcohol. I `m glad Frag wasnt here to see it, Id imagine his hair > falling out ( if he wasnt bald)> > > > The Valley Vegan.............> > Fel iar

glwc Miserable > > > > Jo Cwazy <heartwork@c...> wrote:> > Hi Jonnie> > > > I have this article saved on my pc because I think inflammation > causes so many diseases. > > > > Guidelines for an Anti-Inflammatory Lifestyle> > Jacob Farin, N.D.> > > > > > The main reason people seek a physician's advice is for pain relief.> > Although there are numerous botanical and nutritional treatments to> > reduce pain and inflammation, the main naturopathic defenses are > foods.> > By paying attention to the foods that we eat, we can reduce the> > occurrence of pain and inflammation. Mark, who came to me for > treatment> > of ulcerative colitis, experienced significant improvement when he> > followed this outline for an anti-inflammatory lifestyle.

Within 3> > months, he was nearly symptom free and was able to treat himself to > a> > day of indulgence at his daughter's wedding. Best of all, he > experienced> > no ill effect.> > > > 1. Eliminate pro-inflammatory foods> > > > Red Meats and Peanuts: These foods contain high levels of > arachidonic> > acid, a type of fatty acid that converts into inflammatory > mediators.> > Removing these foods from the diet decreases the levels of > arachidonic> > acid in the body and reduces the occurrence of inflammation.> > > > Caffeine, fried foods, carbonated drinks, alcohol: These foods > greatly> > increase oxidation and free radicals, both of which initiate the> > inflammatory process, and makes one prone towards inflammation.> > > > Food allergies: Foods that do not agree with us can

produce > metabolites> > that interfere with normal bodily function and impair expedient > healing> > of inflamed tissues. Many people experience long-term relief of pain> > with the simple elimination of food allergens such as wheat and > dairy,> > especially those with long-term intestinal disorders.> > > > 2. Implement a plant-based diet> > > > Vegetables and fruits: These foods are rich in carotenoids and> > bioflavonoids that are powerful antioxidants, preventing free > radical> > production and reducing the occurrence of inflammation. The more > richly> > colored the fruit or vegetable, the more antioxidants it contains. > Make> > sure every meal contains a healthy serving of fruits or vegetables> > > > Cold water fish: Salmon, halibut, mackerel, tuna, trout and other > cold>

> water fish contain lots of omega-3 fatty acids. These fatty acids > offset> > the production of arachidonic acid, as well as favor the production > of> > mediators that inhibit inflammation. Eat at least 3 servings of fish> > every week.> > > > Flax oil: This is rich in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids which work> > similarly to fish oils to help reduce inflammation. Use it in > salads or> > in fruit smoothies, but never cook with it because of its strong> > tendency towards being oxidized.> > > > Ginger: Ginger has been shown to be a powerful anti-inflammatory > agent.> > Use it freely in your cooking or make a tea with it. It also helps> > reduce nausea and some forms of abdominal distress.> > > > Whole grains, legumes, soy products: These foods are great sources > for> > protein

without the pro-inflammatory arachidonic acid. Skinless > chicken> > breasts may also be added since most of the fat is found in the > skin.> > > > 3. Nutritional supplements> > > > Correct nutritional deficiencies: Nutritional deficiencies can> > exacerbate pain and inflammation by slowing down the healing > process of> > injured tissues. It is well established that deficiencies in zinc > and> > vitamins C and A can delay wound healing. Deficiencies in minerals, > such> > as calcium and magnesium, can also aggravate muscular pain.> > > > Antioxidants: Powerful antioxidants include vitamins A, C and E,> > carotenoids and bioflavonoids, along with selenium and glutathione.> > > > 4. Move that body!> > > > Exercise: Not only is exercise a great way to relieve stress and> >

tension, but it promotes circulation, allowing vital nutrients to> > diffuse throughout the body, while flushing out metabolic waste.> > Exercise does not have to be strenuous. Daily walking or yoga is> > adequate enough to get the blood moving.> > > > Let this guideline for an anti-inflammatory lifestyle be a part of > your> > natural management for pain and inflammation.> > > > > > Peter H > > > > > > > > > > To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all > new Security Centre. > > > > To send an email to -> > > > > > > > >

Guest guest

i guess i can also throw in there

live yer life to quality...but at who's and wot's expense

Jonnie Hellens Oct 6, 2005 11:05 AM Re: Re: Can anyone help me please:)

Oh no! Give up my yummy coffee? Boo hoo.... Makes one kinda wonder, which is better? Living longer or living a shorter life filled with the 'good' things? Hmmm... quality or quantity?ank_art <ank_art wrote:

andreaheartwerk <jo.heartwork wrote: Hi JOnnieActually ...... it is said that dark chocolate (vegan variety) with 70% cocoa in it is good for the heart and arteries. In the milk variety, the milk is bad for them. Coffee is not good for arteries at all. The caffeine contained in coffee makes the arteries go quite stiff for about six hours after drinking a cup - so if your arteries are narrowed through inflammation (lack of vitamin C) and you do something that can make them go stiff for a while you could be in for trouble.BBJo , Jonnie Hellens <jonnie_hellens> wrote:> Thanks Jo! Reading about the anit-inflammatory diet is what started me on the road to becomming a veggie. I've given up most everything that I've heard to be an issue, but I won't give up my morning Joe. I even rarely have chocolate, but coffee won because of all the sat fat in chocolate. I love good coffee. > > Jo Cwazy <heartwork@c...> wrote:LOL - you probably don't need an anti-inflammatory diet, so don't panic> !> > Jo> - > peter hurd > > Friday, September 30, 2005 9:46 PM> Re: Can anyone help me please:)> > > Well, I drink decaf, but hell no alcohol! please, no dont take my alcohol. I `m glad Frag wasnt here to see it, Id imagine his hair falling out ( if he wasnt bald)> > The Valley Vegan.............> Fel iar glwc Miserable > > Jo Cwazy <heartwork@c...> wrote:> Hi Jonnie> > I have this article saved on my pc because I think inflammation causes so many diseases. > > Guidelines for an Anti-Inflammatory Lifestyle> Jacob Farin, N.D.> > > The main reason people seek a physician's advice is for pain relief.> Although there are numerous botanical and nutritional treatments to> reduce pain and inflammation, the main naturopathic defenses are foods.> By paying attention to the foods that we eat, we can reduce the> occurrence of pain and inflammation. Mark, who came to me for treatment> of ulcerative colitis, experienced significant improvement when he> followed this outline for an anti-inflammatory lifestyle. Within 3> months, he was nearly symptom free and was able to treat himself to a> day of indulgence at his daughter's wedding. Best of all, he experienced> no ill effect.> > 1. Eliminate pro-inflammatory foods> > Red Meats and Peanuts: These foods contain high levels of arachidonic> acid, a type of fatty acid that converts into inflammatory mediators.> Removing these foods from the diet decreases the levels of arachidonic> acid in the body and reduces the occurrence of inflammation.> > Caffeine, fried foods, carbonated drinks, alcohol: These foods greatly> increase oxidation and free radicals, both of which initiate the> inflammatory process, and makes one prone towards inflammation.> > Food allergies: Foods that do not agree with us can produce metabolites> that interfere with normal bodily function and impair expedient healing> of inflamed tissues. Many people experience long-term relief of pain> with the simple elimination of food allergens such as wheat and dairy,> especially those with long-term intestinal disorders.> > 2. Implement a plant-based diet> > Vegetables and fruits: These foods are rich in carotenoids and> bioflavonoids that are powerful antioxidants, preventing free radical> production and reducing the occurrence of inflammation. The more richly> colored the fruit or vegetable, the more antioxidants it contains. Make> sure every meal contains a healthy serving of fruits or vegetables> > Cold water fish: Salmon, halibut, mackerel, tuna, trout and other cold> water fish contain lots of omega-3 fatty acids. These fatty acids offset> the production of arachidonic acid, as well as favor the production of> mediators that inhibit inflammation. Eat at least 3 servings of fish> every week.> > Flax oil: This is rich in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids which work> similarly to fish oils to help reduce inflammation. Use it in salads or> in fruit smoothies, but never cook with it because of its strong> tendency towards being oxidized.> > Ginger: Ginger has been shown to be a powerful anti-inflammatory agent.> Use it freely in your cooking or make a tea with it. It also helps> reduce nausea and some forms of abdominal distress.> > Whole grains, legumes, soy products: These foods are great sources for> protein without the pro-inflammatory arachidonic acid. Skinless chicken> breasts may also be added since most of the fat is found in the skin.> > 3. Nutritional supplements> > Correct nutritional deficiencies: Nutritional deficiencies can> exacerbate pain and inflammation by slowing down the healing process of> injured tissues. It is well established that deficiencies in zinc and> vitamins C and A can delay wound healing. Deficiencies in minerals, such> as calcium and magnesium, can also aggravate muscular pain.> > Antioxidants: Powerful antioxidants include vitamins A, C and E,> carotenoids and bioflavonoids, along with selenium and glutathione.> > 4. Move that body!> > Exercise: Not only is exercise a great way to relieve stress and> tension, but it promotes circulation, allowing vital nutrients to> diffuse throughout the body, while flushing out metabolic waste.> Exercise does not have to be strenuous. Daily walking or yoga is> adequate enough to get the blood moving.> > Let this guideline for an anti-inflammatory lifestyle be a part of your> natural management for pain and inflammation.> > > Peter H > > > > > To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security Centre. > > To send an email to - > > > >

Guest guest

oh gawd my eyes!! my eyes!!!!!!!!!!!

it burns me it doessssssssssssssssssssssssssss Jonnie Hellens Oct 6, 2005 11:12 AM Re: Re: Can anyone help me please:)

I was drinking a glass or two most days and really enjoyed it, but found that I was having problems with it and my meds. And sorry to say this (fraggle cover your ears) beer was starting to make me very ill. After the last glass I had (and yes, it was only *part* of one glass), I haven't been interested in any alcohol since. heartwerk <jo.heartwork wrote: Thanks for the info - it sounds like a good excuse for me to eat some chocolate after dinner (I don't drink wine).Jo , ank_art <ank_art> wrote:> > here's a healthy reason to eat more chocolate --- Lindt has a fantastic 80% cocoa bar if you like semi-sweet...mmm-mmm ;)> > Eating 2 ounces (50 grams) a day of plain chocolate with a minimum content of 70% chocolate solids can be beneficial to health, providing protection against heart disease, high blood pressure, and many other health hazards as well as essential trace elements and nutrients such as iron, calcium and potassium, and vitamins A. B1, C, D, and E and it's a lot tastier than boring old vitamin pills too. A 1 1/2-ounce square of chocolate may have as many cancer-fighting antioxidants as a five-ounce glass of red wine.> > andrea> > heartwerk <jo.heartwork@g...> wrote:Hi JOnnie> > Actually ...... it is said that dark chocolate (vegan variety) with > 70% cocoa in it is good for the heart and arteries. In the milk > variety, the milk is bad for them. Coffee is not good for arteries > at all. The caffeine contained in coffee makes the arteries go quite > stiff for about six hours after drinking a cup - so if your arteries > are narrowed through inflammation (lack of vitamin C) and you do > something that can make them go stiff for a while you could be in for > trouble.> > BB> Jo> > , Jonnie Hellens > <jonnie_hellens> wrote:> > Thanks Jo! Reading about the anit-inflammatory diet is what > started me on the road to becomming a veggie. I've given up most > everything that I've heard to be an issue, but I won't give up my > morning Joe. I even rarely have chocolate, but coffee won because of > all the sat fat in chocolate. I love good coffee. > > > > Jo Cwazy <heartwork@c...> wrote:LOL - you probably don't need an > anti-inflammatory diet, so don't panic> > !> > > > Jo> > - > > peter hurd > > > > Friday, September 30, 2005 9:46 PM> > Re: Can anyone help me please:)> > > > > > Well, I drink decaf, but hell no alcohol! please, no dont take my > alcohol. I `m glad Frag wasnt here to see it, Id imagine his hair > falling out ( if he wasnt bald)> > > > The Valley Vegan.............> > Fel iar glwc Miserable > > > > Jo Cwazy <heartwork@c...> wrote:> > Hi Jonnie> > > > I have this article saved on my pc because I think inflammation > causes so many diseases. > > > > Guidelines for an Anti-Inflammatory Lifestyle> > Jacob Farin, N.D.> > > > > > The main reason people seek a physician's advice is for pain relief.> > Although there are numerous botanical and nutritional treatments to> > reduce pain and inflammation, the main naturopathic defenses are > foods.> > By paying attention to the foods that we eat, we can reduce the> > occurrence of pain and inflammation. Mark, who came to me for > treatment> > of ulcerative colitis, experienced significant improvement when he> > followed this outline for an anti-inflammatory lifestyle. Within 3> > months, he was nearly symptom free and was able to treat himself to > a> > day of indulgence at his daughter's wedding. Best of all, he > experienced> > no ill effect.> > > > 1. Eliminate pro-inflammatory foods> > > > Red Meats and Peanuts: These foods contain high levels of > arachidonic> > acid, a type of fatty acid that converts into inflammatory > mediators.> > Removing these foods from the diet decreases the levels of > arachidonic> > acid in the body and reduces the occurrence of inflammation.> > > > Caffeine, fried foods, carbonated drinks, alcohol: These foods > greatly> > increase oxidation and free radicals, both of which initiate the> > inflammatory process, and makes one prone towards inflammation.> > > > Food allergies: Foods that do not agree with us can produce > metabolites> > that interfere with normal bodily function and impair expedient > healing> > of inflamed tissues. Many people experience long-term relief of pain> > with the simple elimination of food allergens such as wheat and > dairy,> > especially those with long-term intestinal disorders.> > > > 2. Implement a plant-based diet> > > > Vegetables and fruits: These foods are rich in carotenoids and> > bioflavonoids that are powerful antioxidants, preventing free > radical> > production and reducing the occurrence of inflammation. The more > richly> > colored the fruit or vegetable, the more antioxidants it contains. > Make> > sure every meal contains a healthy serving of fruits or vegetables> > > > Cold water fish: Salmon, halibut, mackerel, tuna, trout and other > cold> > water fish contain lots of omega-3 fatty acids. These fatty acids > offset> > the production of arachidonic acid, as well as favor the production > of> > mediators that inhibit inflammation. Eat at least 3 servings of fish> > every week.> > > > Flax oil: This is rich in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids which work> > similarly to fish oils to help reduce inflammation. Use it in > salads or> > in fruit smoothies, but never cook with it because of its strong> > tendency towards being oxidized.> > > > Ginger: Ginger has been shown to be a powerful anti-inflammatory > agent.> > Use it freely in your cooking or make a tea with it. It also helps> > reduce nausea and some forms of abdominal distress.> > > > Whole grains, legumes, soy products: These foods are great sources > for> > protein without the pro-inflammatory arachidonic acid. Skinless > chicken> > breasts may also be added since most of the fat is found in the > skin.> > > > 3. Nutritional supplements> > > > Correct nutritional deficiencies: Nutritional deficiencies can> > exacerbate pain and inflammation by slowing down the healing > process of> > injured tissues. It is well established that deficiencies in zinc > and> > vitamins C and A can delay wound healing. Deficiencies in minerals, > such> > as calcium and magnesium, can also aggravate muscular pain.> > > > Antioxidants: Powerful antioxidants include vitamins A, C and E,> > carotenoids and bioflavonoids, along with selenium and glutathione.> > > > 4. Move that body!> > > > Exercise: Not only is exercise a great way to relieve stress and> > tension, but it promotes circulation, allowing vital nutrients to> > diffuse throughout the body, while flushing out metabolic waste.> > Exercise does not have to be strenuous. Daily walking or yoga is> > adequate enough to get the blood moving.> > > > Let this guideline for an anti-inflammatory lifestyle be a part of > your> > natural management for pain and inflammation.> > > > > > Peter H > > > > > > > > > > To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all > new Security Centre. > > > > To send an email to -> > > > > > > > >

Guest guest

Hi Jonnie

Have you tried decaffeinated coffee?

Jo

, Jonnie Hellens

<jonnie_hellens> wrote:

> Oh no! Give up my yummy coffee? Boo hoo.... Makes one kinda

wonder, which is better? Living longer or living a shorter life

filled with the 'good' things? Hmmm... quality or quantity?

>

>

content of 70% chocolate solids can be beneficial to health, providing

protection against heart disease, high blood pressure, and many other

health hazards as well as essential trace elements and nutrients such

as iron, calcium and potassium, and vitamins A. B1, C, D, and E and

it's a lot tastier than boring old vitamin pills too. A 1 1/2-ounce

square of chocolate may have as many cancer-fighting antioxidants as a

five-ounce glass of red wine.

>

> andrea

>

> heartwerk <jo.heartwork@g...> wrote: Hi JOnnie

>

> at all. The caffeine contained in coffee makes the arteries go quite

> stiff for about six hours after drinkin

g a cup - so if your arteries

> are narrowed through inflammation (lack of vitamin C) and you do

> something that can make them go stiff for a while you could be in for

> trouble.

>

> BB

> Jo

>

> , Jonnie Hellens

> <jonnie_hellens> wrote:

> > Thanks Jo! Reading about the anit-inflammatory diet is what

> started me on the road to becomming a veggie. I've given up most

> everything that I've heard to be an issue, but I won't give up my

> morning Joe. I even rarely have chocolate, but coffee won because of

> all the sat fat in chocolate. I love good coffee.

> >

> > Jo Cwazy <heartwork@c...> wrote:LOL - you probably don't need an

> anti-inflammatory diet, so don't panic

> > !

> >

> > Jo

> > -

> > peter hurd

> >

> > Friday, September 30, 2005 9:46 PM

> > Re: Can anyone help me please:)

> >

> >

> > Well, I drink decaf, but hell no alcohol! please, no dont take my

> alcohol. I `m glad Frag wasnt here to see it, Id imagine his hair

> falling out ( if he wasnt bald)

> >

> > The Valley Vegan.............

> > Fel iar glwc Miserable

> >

> > Jo Cwazy <heartwork@c...> wrote:

> > Hi Jonnie

> >

> > I have this article saved on my pc because I think inflammation

> causes so many diseases.

> >

> > Guidelines for an Anti-Inflammatory Lifestyle

> > Jacob Farin, N.D.

> >

> >

> > The main reason people seek a physician's advice is for pain relief.

> > Although there are numerous botanical and nutritional treatments to

> > reduce pain and inflammation, the main naturopathic defenses are

> foods.

> > By paying attention to the foods that we eat, we can reduce the

> > occurrence of pain and inflammation. Mark, who came to me for

> treatment

> > of ulcerative colitis, experienced significant improvement when he

> > followed this outline for an anti-inflammatory lifestyle. Within 3

> > months, he was nearly symptom free and was able to treat himself to

> a

> > day of indulgence at his daughter's wedding. Best of all, he

> experienced

> > no ill effect.

> >

> > 1. Eliminate pro-inflammatory foods

> >

> > Red Meats and Peanuts: These foods contain high levels of

> arachidonic

> > acid, a type of fatty acid that converts into inflammatory

> mediators.

> > Removing these foods from the diet decreases the levels of

> arachidonic

> > acid in the body and reduces the occurrence of inflammation.

> >

> > Caffeine, fried foods, carbonated drinks, alcohol: These foods

> greatly

> > increase oxidation and free radicals, both of which initiate the

> > inflammatory process, and makes one prone towards inflammation.

> >

> > Food allergies: Foods that do not agree with us can produce

> metabolites

> > that interfere with normal bodily function and impair expedient

> healing

> > of inflamed tissues. Many people experience long-term relief of pain

> > with the simple elimination of food allergens such as wheat and

> dairy,

> > especially those with long-term intestinal disorders.

> >

> > 2. Implement a plant-based diet

> >

> > Vegetables and fruits: These foods are rich in carotenoids and

> > bioflavonoids that are powerful antioxidants, preventing free

> radical

> > production and reducing the occurrence of inflammation. The more

> richly

> > colored the fruit or vegetable, the more antioxidants it contains.

> Make

> > sure every meal contains a healthy serving of fruits or vegetables

> >

> > Cold water fish: Salmon, halibut, mackerel, tuna, trout and other

> cold

> > water fish contain lots of omega-3 fatty acids. These fatty acids

> offset

> > the production of arachidonic acid, as well as favor the production

> of

> > mediators that inhibit inflammation. Eat at least 3 servings of fish

> > every week.

> >

> > Flax oil: This is rich in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids which work

> > similarly to fish oils to help reduce inflammation. Use it in

> salads or

> > in fruit smoothies, but never cook with it because of its strong

> > tendency towards being oxidized.

> >

> > Ginger: Ginger has been shown to be a powerful anti-inflammatory

> agent.

> > Use it freely in your cooking or make a tea with it. It also helps

> > reduce nausea and some forms of abdominal distress.

> >

> > Whole grains, legumes, soy products: These foods are great sources

> for

> > protein without the pro-inflammatory arachidonic acid. Skinless

> chicken

> > breasts may also be added since most of the fat is found in the

> skin.

> >

> > 3. Nutritional supplements

> >

> > Correct nutritional deficiencies: Nutritional deficiencies can

> > exacerbate pain and inflammation by slowing down the healing

> process of

> > injured tissues. It is well established that deficiencies in zinc

> and

> > vitamins C and A can delay wound healing. Deficiencies in minerals,

> such

> > as calcium and magnesium, can also aggravate muscular pain.

> >

> > Antioxidants: Powerful antioxidants include vitamins A, C and E,

> > carotenoids and bioflavonoids, along with selenium and glutathione.

> >

> > 4. Move that body!

> >

> > Exercise: Not only is exercise a great way to relieve stress and

> > tension, but it promotes circulation, allowing vital nutrients to

> > diffuse throughout the body, while flushing out metabolic waste.

> > Exercise does not have to be strenuous. Daily walking or yoga is

> > adequate enough to get the blood moving.

> >

> > Let this guideline for an anti-inflammatory lifestyle be a part of

> your

> > natural management for pain and inflammation.

> >

> >

> > Peter H

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all

> new Security Centre.

> >

>

> >

> >

> >

> >

Guest guest

Maybe you could try the chocolate instead :-)

Jo

, Jonnie Hellens

<jonnie_hellens> wrote:

> I was drinking a glass or two most days and really enjoyed it, but

found that I was having problems with it and my meds. And sorry to

say this (fraggle cover your ears) beer was starting to make me very

ill. After the last glass I had (and yes, it was only *part* of one

glass), I haven't been interested in any alcohol since.

>

> heartwerk <jo.heartwork@g...> wrote:Thanks for the info - it sounds

like a good excuse for me to eat some

> chocolate after dinner (I don't drink wine).

>

> Jo

>

> , ank_art <ank_art> wrote:

> >

> > here's a healthy reason to eat more chocolate --- Lindt has a

> fantastic 80% cocoa bar if you like semi-sweet...mmm-mmm ;)

> >

> > Eating 2 ounces (50 grams) a day of plain chocolate with a minimum

> content of 70% chocolate solids can be beneficial to health,

> providing protection against heart disease, high blood pressure, and

> many other health hazards as well as essential trace elements and

> nutrients such as iron, calcium and potassium, and vitamins A. B1, C,

> D, and E and it's a lot tastier than boring old vitamin pills too. A

> 1 1/2-ounce square of chocolate may have as many cancer-fighting

> antioxidants as a five-ounce glass of red wine.

> >

> > andrea

> >

> > heartwerk <jo.heartwork@g...> wrote:Hi JOnnie

> >

> > Actually ...... it is said that dark chocolate (vegan variety) with

> > 70% cocoa in it is good for the heart and arteries. In the milk

> > variety, the milk is bad for them. Coffee is not good for arteries

> > at all. The caffeine contained in coffee makes the arteries go

> quite

> > stiff for about six hours after drinking a cup - so if your

> arteries

> > are narrowed through inflammation (lack of vitamin C) and you do

> > something that can make them go stiff for a while you could be in

> for

> > trouble.

> >

> > BB

> > Jo

> >

> > , Jonnie Hellens

> > <jonnie_hellens> wrote:

> > > Thanks Jo! Reading about the anit-inflammatory diet is what

> > started me on the road to becomming a veggie. I've given up most

> > everything that I've heard to be an issue, but I won't give up my

> > morning Joe. I even rarely have chocolate, but coffee won because

> of

> > all the sat fat in chocolate. I love good coffee.

> > >

> > > Jo Cwazy <heartwork@c...> wrote:LOL - you probably don't need an

> > anti-inflammatory diet, so don't panic

> > > !

> > >

> > > Jo

> > > -

> > > peter hurd

> > >

> > > Friday, September 30, 2005 9:46 PM

> > > Re: Can anyone help me please:)

> > >

> > >

> > > Well, I drink decaf, but hell no alcohol! please, no dont take my

> > alcohol. I `m glad Frag wasnt here to see it, Id imagine his hair

> > falling out ( if he wasnt bald)

> > >

> > > The Valley Vegan.............

> > > Fel iar glwc Miserable

> > >

> > > Jo Cwazy <heartwork@c...> wrote:

> > > Hi Jonnie

> > >

> > > I have this article saved on my pc because I think inflammation

> > causes so many diseases.

> > >

> > > Guidelines for an Anti-Inflammatory Lifestyle

> > > Jacob Farin, N.D.

> > >

> > >

> > > The main reason people seek a physician's advice is for pain

> relief.

> > > Although there are numerous botanical and nutritional treatments

> to

> > > reduce pain and inflammation, the main naturopathic defenses are

> > foods.

> > > By paying attention to the foods that we eat, we can reduce the

> > > occurrence of pain and inflammation. Mark, who came to me for

> > treatment

> > > of ulcerative colitis, experienced significant improvement when he

> > > followed this outline for an anti-inflammatory lifestyle. Within 3

> > > months, he was nearly symptom free and was able to treat himself

> to

> > a

> > > day of indulgence at his daughter's wedding. Best of all, he

> > experienced

> > > no ill effect.

> > >

> > > 1. Eliminate pro-inflammatory foods

> > >

> > > Red Meats and Peanuts: These foods contain high levels of

> > arachidonic

> > > acid, a type of fatty acid that converts into inflammatory

> > mediators.

> > > Removing these foods from the diet decreases the levels of

> > arachidonic

> > > acid in the body and reduces the occurrence of inflammation.

> > >

> > > Caffeine, fried foods, carbonated drinks, alcohol: These foods

> > greatly

> > > increase oxidation and free radicals, both of which initiate the

> > > inflammatory process, and makes one prone towards inflammation.

> > >

> > > Food allergies: Foods that do not agree with us can produce

> > metabolites

> > > that interfere with normal bodily function and impair expedient

> > healing

> > > of inflamed tissues. Many people experience long-term relief of

> pain

> > > with the simple elimination of food allergens such as wheat and

> > dairy,

> > > especially those with long-term intestinal disorders.

> > >

> > > 2. Implement a plant-based diet

> > >

> > > Vegetables and fruits: These foods are rich in carotenoids and

> > > bioflavonoids that are powerful antioxidants, preventing free

> > radical

> > > production and reducing the occurrence of inflammation. The more

> > richly

> > > colored the fruit or vegetable, the more antioxidants it

> contains.

> > Make

> > > sure every meal contains a healthy serving of fruits or vegetables

> > >

> > > Cold water fish: Salmon, halibut, mackerel, tuna, trout and other

> > cold

> > > water fish contain lots of omega-3 fatty acids. These fatty acids

> > offset

> > > the production of arachidonic acid, as well as favor the

> production

> > of

> > > mediators that inhibit inflammation. Eat at least 3 servings of

> fish

> > > every week.

> > >

> > > Flax oil: This is rich in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids which

> work

> > > similarly to fish oils to help reduce inflammation. Use it in

> > salads or

> > > in fruit smoothies, but never cook with it because of its strong

> > > tendency towards being oxidized.

> > >

> > > Ginger: Ginger has been shown to be a powerful anti-inflammatory

> > agent.

> > > Use it freely in your cooking or make a tea with it. It also helps

> > > reduce nausea and some forms of abdominal distress.

> > >

> > > Whole grains, legumes, soy products: These foods are great

> sources

> > for

> > > protein without the pro-inflammatory arachidonic acid. Skinless

> > chicken

> > > breasts may also be added since most of the fat is found in the

> > skin.

> > >

> > > 3. Nutritional supplements

> > >

> > > Correct nutritional deficiencies: Nutritional deficiencies can

> > > exacerbate pain and inflammation by slowing down the healing

> > process of

> > > injured tissues. It is well established that deficiencies in zinc

> > and

> > > vitamins C and A can delay wound healing. Deficiencies in

> minerals,

> > such

> > > as calcium and magnesium, can also aggravate muscular pain.

> > >

> > > Antioxidants: Powerful antioxidants include vitamins A, C and E,

> > > carotenoids and bioflavonoids, along with selenium and

> glutathione.

> > >

> > > 4. Move that body!

> > >

> > > Exercise: Not only is exercise a great way to relieve stress and

> > > tension, but it promotes circulation, allowing vital nutrients to

> > > diffuse throughout the body, while flushing out metabolic waste.

> > > Exercise does not have to be strenuous. Daily walking or yoga is

> > > adequate enough to get the blood moving.

> > >

> > > Let this guideline for an anti-inflammatory lifestyle be a part

> of

> > your

> > > natural management for pain and inflammation.

> > >

> > >

> > > Peter H

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all

> > new Security Centre.

> > >

> > > To send an email to -

> >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

Guest guest

thank you for the health info on chocolate.

I will eat even more now.

, ank_art <ank_art> wrote:

>

>

>

content of 70% chocolate solids can be beneficial to health, providing

protection against heart disease, high blood pressure, and many other

health hazards as well as essential trace elements and nutrients such

as iron, calcium and potassium, and vitamins A. B1, C, D, and E and

it's a lot tastier than boring old vitamin pills too. A 1 1/2-ounce

square of chocolate may have as many cancer-fighting antioxidants as a

five-ounce glass of red wine.

>

> andrea

>

> heartwerk <jo.heartwork@g...> wrote:Hi JOnnie

>

>

Guest guest

Thanks! My doc actually had something posted on her bulletin board a long, long time ago, so I was aware of it then. You would think the pharmacys would warn you or something, huh? ank_art <ank_art wrote:

Hi Jonnie-

this is great.... i've been looking for more info about grapefruit and the website you listed has lots of details!

it's also helpful to check out the listing of other foods that counteract specific medication

thanks-

Andrea

peter-