suggestions please let me know.

Thanks,

NC

Guest guest

Hi Natalia

Welcome to the group. I'm afraid I can't help with your query but I am sure

someone will be able to. Sometimes vitamin B is processed with gelatine so

if that is the case it may not be vegan. If it turns out to be not vegan

there are various vegan vitamin supplements available.

JO

-

" Natalia " <natychaos

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 5:10 PM

Can anyone help me please:)

> Hi im new to the group, and I have recently become a vegan after

> several years of being an octo-vegetarian. My question is:

> Is it ok to drink Glaceau Vitamin Water to help in my vegan diet? any

> suggestions please let me know.

>

> Thanks,

> NC

>

To send an email to -

>

Guest guest

Welcome Natalia,

Sorry, but I have never heard of that product. I would suggest that you look up the manufacturer on the web, and look for the ingredients. Also look for a contact link, and send them an e-mail asking them.

The Valley Vegan................

Po mwyaf y llanw, mwyaf y trai The greater the flow, the greater the ebb Natalia <natychaos wrote:

Hi im new to the group, and I have recently become a vegan after several years of being an octo-vegetarian. My question is:Is it ok to drink Glaceau Vitamin Water to help in my vegan diet? any suggestions please let me know.Thanks,NC

Guest guest

(head pops up in new jersey)

hi natalia-

i've seen those colorful vitamin waters here -- they seem very popular... not sure if they're vegan since they contain lactates and vitamin B12 that may be animal-derived.... the company website is www.glaceau.com -- probably best to ask directly

are you looking for vitamin supplements that are vegan?

i'm curious if anyone has suggestions on vegan ways to lower cholesterol... would appreciate any suggestions... it's in my genes apparently and i want to avoid taking cholesterol-lowering drugs

thanks!

andreapeter hurd <swpgh01 wrote:

Welcome Natalia,

Sorry, but I have never heard of that product. I would suggest that you look up the manufacturer on the web, and look for the ingredients. Also look for a contact link, and send them an e-mail asking them.

Po mwyaf y llanw, mwyaf y trai The greater the flow, the greater the ebb Natalia <natychaos wrote:

Hi im new to the group, and I have recently become a vegan after several years of being an octo-vegetarian. My question is:Is it ok to drink Glaceau Vitamin Water to help in my vegan diet? any suggestions please let me know.Thanks,NC

Guest guest

thanks so much

--- peter hurd <swpgh01 wrote:

> Welcome Natalia,

> Sorry, but I have never heard of that product. I

> would suggest that you look up the manufacturer on

> the web, and look for the ingredients. Also look for

> a contact link, and send them an e-mail asking them.

>

> The Valley Vegan................

>

>

> Po mwyaf y llanw, mwyaf y trai The greater the

> flow, the greater the ebb

>

> Natalia <natychaos wrote:

> Hi im new to the group, and I have recently become a

> vegan after

> several years of being an octo-vegetarian. My

> question is:

> Is it ok to drink Glaceau Vitamin Water to help in

> my vegan diet? any

>

> Thanks,

> NC

>

To send an email to

> -

>

Guest guest

Hi Andrea

Have you been vegan for long? Usually there shouldn't be too much

problem with high cholesterol in vegans. I would make sure you get

enough vitamin B complex and also take a good all round vitamin and

mineral supplement with extra vitamin E and vitamin C.

I'll have to dip into some of my books to see what else might help

(I'm at work at present) and get back to you.

Jo

, ank_art <ank_art> wrote:

> (head pops up in new jersey)

>

> hi natalia-

> i've seen those colorful vitamin waters here -- they seem very

popular... not sure if they're vegan since they contain lactates and

vitamin B12 that may be animal-derived.... the company website is

www.glaceau.com -- probably best to ask directly

> are you looking for vitamin supplements that are vegan?

>

> i'm curious if anyone has suggestions on vegan ways to lower

cholesterol... would appreciate any suggestions... it's in my genes

apparently and i want to avoid taking cholesterol-lowering drugs

>

> thanks!

> andrea

>

> peter hurd <swpgh01@t...> wrote:

> Welcome Natalia,

> Sorry, but I have never heard of that product. I would suggest that

you look up the manufacturer on the web, and look for the

ingredients. Also look for a contact link, and send them an e-mail

asking them.

>

> The Valley Vegan................

>

>

> Po mwyaf y llanw, mwyaf y trai The greater the flow, the

greater the ebb

>

> Natalia <natychaos> wrote:

> Is it ok to drink Glaceau Vitamin Water to help in my vegan diet?

any

>

> Thanks,

> NC

>

To send an email to -

>

Guest guest

HI NC and WELCOME to the group!

As far as I know the water is ok, but am not completely sure on that.

Someone here should know, but I didn't want to not say Hi!

Nikki :)

, " Natalia " <natychaos> wrote:

> Is it ok to drink Glaceau Vitamin Water to help in my vegan diet?

any

>

> Thanks,

> NC

Guest guest

Thanks ALL FOR UR RESPONCES UR THE BESTESTearthstrm <nikkimack wrote:

HI NC and WELCOME to the group!As far as I know the water is ok, but am not completely sure on that. Someone here should know, but I didn't want to not say Hi!Nikki :) , "Natalia" <natychaos> wrote:> Hi im new to the group, and I have recently become a vegan after > several years of being an octo-vegetarian. My question is:> Is it ok to drink Glaceau Vitamin Water to help in my vegan diet? any > suggestions please let me know.> > Thanks,> NCNATALIE :) -----

for Good Click here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.

Guest guest

yeah i need some vitamins that are vegan. Its so hard to find anything here unless its fuit or veggies and sometimes I just want to have something different before i get bored u know. BTW call me Natalie or Nat lol Natalia is only when im in trouble :)ank_art <ank_art wrote:

hi natalia-

i've seen those colorful vitamin waters here -- they seem very popular... not sure if they're vegan since they contain lactates and vitamin B12 that may be animal-derived.... the company website is www.glaceau.com -- probably best to ask directly

are you looking for vitamin supplements that are vegan?

i'm curious if anyone has suggestions on vegan ways to lower cholesterol... would appreciate any suggestions... it's in my genes apparently and i want to avoid taking cholesterol-lowering drugs

thanks!

Welcome Natalia,

Guest guest

thanks!

i've been vegan for almost 3 years and was really shocked to find my cholesterol was high -- even though it runs in the family (all meat eaters)

i went to a nutritionist who's open to different diets and she suggested adding flaxseed and oatmeal and drinking more water

somewhere i read that certain meds recommend not eating grapefruit -- not sure if there's any connection with cholesterol production, but i had been drinking lots of gpfruit juice and completely stopped

just not sure if i'm missing something obvious.. have been searching online but not finding anything helpful ;(

heartwerk <heartwork wrote:

Hi AndreaHave you been vegan for long? Usually there shouldn't be too much problem with high cholesterol in vegans. I would make sure you get enough vitamin B complex and also take a good all round vitamin and mineral supplement with extra vitamin E and vitamin C.I'll have to dip into some of my books to see what else might help (I'm at work at present) and get back to you.Jo , ank_art <ank_art> wrote:> (head pops up in new jersey)> > hi natalia-> i've seen those colorful vitamin waters here -- they seem very popular... not sure if they're vegan since they contain lactates and vitamin B12 that may be animal-derived.... the company website is www.glaceau.com -- probably best to ask directly> are you looking for vitamin

supplements that are vegan? > > i'm curious if anyone has suggestions on vegan ways to lower cholesterol... would appreciate any suggestions... it's in my genes apparently and i want to avoid taking cholesterol-lowering drugs > > thanks!> andrea> > peter hurd <swpgh01@t...> wrote:> Welcome Natalia,> Sorry, but I have never heard of that product. I would suggest that you look up the manufacturer on the web, and look for the ingredients. Also look for a contact link, and send them an e-mail asking them.> > The Valley Vegan................> > > Po mwyaf y llanw, mwyaf y trai The greater the flow, the greater the ebb > > Natalia <natychaos> wrote:> Hi im new to the group, and I have recently become a vegan after > several years of being an octo-vegetarian. My question

is:> Is it ok to drink Glaceau Vitamin Water to help in my vegan diet? any > suggestions please let me know.> > Thanks,> NC> > > > > > > > To send an email to - >

Guest guest

I think flax seed and oatmeal are good for you in general, and may

well have a good effect on cholesterol. I have a book by a Dr

Batmangelich about water, which is very interesting. I hadn't heard

about the grapefruit, but you could use other juices instead.

Jo

, ank_art <ank_art> wrote:

> thanks!

> i've been vegan for almost 3 years and was really shocked to find

my cholesterol was high -- even though it runs in the family (all

meat eaters)

> i went to a nutritionist who's open to different diets and she

suggested adding flaxseed and oatmeal and drinking more water

> somewhere i read that certain meds recommend not eating grapefruit -

- not sure if there's any connection with cholesterol production, but

i had been drinking lots of gpfruit juice and completely stopped

> just not sure if i'm missing something obvious.. have been

searching online but not finding anything helpful ;(

>

>

> heartwerk <heartwork@c...> wrote:

> Hi Andrea

>

> Have you been vegan for long? Usually there shouldn't be too much

> problem with high cholesterol in vegans. I would make sure you get

> enough vitamin B complex and also take a good all round vitamin and

> mineral supplement with extra vitamin E and vitamin C.

>

> I'll have to dip into some of my books to see what else might help

> (I'm at work at present) and get back to you.

>

> Jo

>

> , ank_art <ank_art> wrote:

> > (head pops up in new jersey)

> >

> > hi natalia-

> > i've seen those colorful vitamin waters here -- they seem very

> popular... not sure if they're vegan since they contain lactates

and

> vitamin B12 that may be animal-derived.... the company website is

> www.glaceau.com -- probably best to ask directly

> > are you looking for vitamin supplements that are vegan?

> >

> > i'm curious if anyone has suggestions on vegan ways to lower

> cholesterol... would appreciate any suggestions... it's in my genes

> apparently and i want to avoid taking cholesterol-lowering drugs

> >

> > thanks!

> > andrea

> >

> > peter hurd <swpgh01@t...> wrote:

> > Welcome Natalia,

> > Sorry, but I have never heard of that product. I would suggest

that

> you look up the manufacturer on the web, and look for the

> ingredients. Also look for a contact link, and send them an e-mail

> asking them.

> >

> > The Valley Vegan................

> >

> >

> > Po mwyaf y llanw, mwyaf y trai The greater the flow, the

> greater the ebb

> >

> > Natalia <natychaos> wrote:

> > Hi im new to the group, and I have recently become a vegan after

> > several years of being an octo-vegetarian. My question is:

> > Is it ok to drink Glaceau Vitamin Water to help in my vegan diet?

> any

> > suggestions please let me know.

> >

> > Thanks,

> > NC

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > To send an email to -

>

> >

Guest guest

Andrea, I have the same problem, our family manufacters too much cholesterol. I take vitamin E suppliment, which I've heard will help keep my blood thinner, since the aspirin and I didn't get along after I had my stent put in. I also take Flax Oil Supplements, after someone recommended them for lowering cholersterol. I go to the cardiologist in a few mins, but will have to go back for the bloodwork as it needs to be done while fasting. So hopefully I'll know soon if my efforts have paid off. Of course, lots and lots of healthy fruits and veggies. I've heard more and more that the cholesterol thing may or may not be a factor of heart disease. I've heard it may actually be a symptom and that inflamation is the culpret of artery blockage. I've had inflamation diseases all my life (arthritis, tendonitis, etc) and I've noticed that by following a anti-inflamation diet that they are better. This is what led me to become a

veggie and I suspect a vegan later. I have a hard time giving up milk products. I love my coffee in the am and also, most veggie soups are made with cream or milk, so when we eat out, it's often the only option.

ank_art <ank_art wrote:

thanks!

Welcome Natalia,

Guest guest

Niacin works, slow niacin isn't as hard to take. Red rice yeast works. Both of those are for lowering cholesterol. Oats work. We love raw oats and bananas for brekkers. (smash up the bananas, mix in some whole oats, quick oats and oat bran and some chopped walnuts, also good to lower cholesterol).

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Friday, September 30, 2005 10:34 AM

Re: Can anyone help me please:)

Andrea, I have the same problem, our family manufacters too much cholesterol. I take vitamin E suppliment, which I've heard will help keep my blood thinner, since the aspirin and I didn't get along after I had my stent put in. I also take Flax Oil Supplements, after someone recommended them for lowering cholersterol. I go to the cardiologist in a few mins, but will have to go back for the bloodwork as it needs to be done while fasting. So hopefully I'll know soon if my efforts have paid off. Of course, lots and lots of healthy fruits and veggies. I've heard more and more that the cholesterol thing may or may not be a factor of heart disease. I've heard it may actually be a symptom and that inflamation is the culpret of artery blockage. I've had inflamation diseases all my life (arthritis, tendonitis, etc) and I've noticed that by following a anti-inflamation diet that they are better. This is what led me to become a veggie and I suspect a vegan later. I have a hard time giving up milk products. I love my coffee in the am and also, most veggie soups are made with cream or milk, so when we eat out, it's often the only option.

ank_art <ank_art wrote:

thanks!

Welcome Natalia,

Guest guest

Hi Jonnie

I have this article saved on my pc because I think inflammation causes so many diseases.

Guidelines for an Anti-Inflammatory LifestyleJacob Farin, N.D.The main reason people seek a physician's advice is for pain relief.Although there are numerous botanical and nutritional treatments toreduce pain and inflammation, the main naturopathic defenses are foods.By paying attention to the foods that we eat, we can reduce theoccurrence of pain and inflammation. Mark, who came to me for treatmentof ulcerative colitis, experienced significant improvement when hefollowed this outline for an anti-inflammatory lifestyle. Within 3months, he was nearly symptom free and was able to treat himself to aday of indulgence at his daughter's wedding. Best of all, he experiencedno ill effect.1. Eliminate pro-inflammatory foodsRed Meats and Peanuts: These foods contain high levels of arachidonicacid, a type of fatty acid that converts into inflammatory mediators.Removing these foods from the diet decreases the levels of arachidonicacid in the body and reduces the occurrence of inflammation.Caffeine, fried foods, carbonated drinks, alcohol: These foods greatlyincrease oxidation and free radicals, both of which initiate theinflammatory process, and makes one prone towards inflammation.Food allergies: Foods that do not agree with us can produce metabolitesthat interfere with normal bodily function and impair expedient healingof inflamed tissues. Many people experience long-term relief of painwith the simple elimination of food allergens such as wheat and dairy,especially those with long-term intestinal disorders.2. Implement a plant-based dietVegetables and fruits: These foods are rich in carotenoids andbioflavonoids that are powerful antioxidants, preventing free radicalproduction and reducing the occurrence of inflammation. The more richlycolored the fruit or vegetable, the more antioxidants it contains. Makesure every meal contains a healthy serving of fruits or vegetablesCold water fish: Salmon, halibut, mackerel, tuna, trout and other coldwater fish contain lots of omega-3 fatty acids. These fatty acids offsetthe production of arachidonic acid, as well as favor the production ofmediators that inhibit inflammation. Eat at least 3 servings of fishevery week.Flax oil: This is rich in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids which worksimilarly to fish oils to help reduce inflammation. Use it in salads orin fruit smoothies, but never cook with it because of its strongtendency towards being oxidized.Ginger: Ginger has been shown to be a powerful anti-inflammatory agent.Use it freely in your cooking or make a tea with it. It also helpsreduce nausea and some forms of abdominal distress.Whole grains, legumes, soy products: These foods are great sources forprotein without the pro-inflammatory arachidonic acid. Skinless chickenbreasts may also be added since most of the fat is found in the skin.3. Nutritional supplementsCorrect nutritional deficiencies: Nutritional deficiencies canexacerbate pain and inflammation by slowing down the healing process ofinjured tissues. It is well established that deficiencies in zinc andvitamins C and A can delay wound healing. Deficiencies in minerals, suchas calcium and magnesium, can also aggravate muscular pain.Antioxidants: Powerful antioxidants include vitamins A, C and E,carotenoids and bioflavonoids, along with selenium and glutathione.4. Move that body!Exercise: Not only is exercise a great way to relieve stress andtension, but it promotes circulation, allowing vital nutrients todiffuse throughout the body, while flushing out metabolic waste.Exercise does not have to be strenuous. Daily walking or yoga isadequate enough to get the blood moving.Let this guideline for an anti-inflammatory lifestyle be a part of yournatural management for pain and inflammation.

Guest guest

Lynda-

thanks for the niacin suggestion.... i've also added oatmeal and whole oats into my diet

not so sure about the red yeast rice -- here's some info about it http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshelf/substances_view/1,1525,10054,00.html

it sounds effective so i bought tablets from the local vitamin shop and in less than 2 weeks i noticed some muscle pain in my arms so i immediately stopped -- the pain disappeared and so did my bottle of red yeast rice .. right into the garbage

Lynda <lurine wrote:

Niacin works, slow niacin isn't as hard to take. Red rice yeast works. Both of those are for lowering cholesterol. Oats work. We love raw oats and bananas for brekkers. (smash up the bananas, mix in some whole oats, quick oats and oat bran and some chopped walnuts, also good to lower cholesterol).

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Friday, September 30, 2005 10:34 AM

Andrea, I have the same problem, our family manufacters too much cholesterol. I take vitamin E suppliment, which I've heard will help keep my blood thinner, since the aspirin and I didn't get along after I had my stent put in. I also take Flax Oil Supplements, after someone recommended them for lowering cholersterol. I go to the cardiologist in a few mins, but will have to go back for the bloodwork as it needs to be done while fasting. So hopefully I'll know soon if my efforts have paid off. Of course, lots and lots of healthy fruits and veggies. I've heard more and more that the cholesterol thing may or may not be a factor of heart disease. I've heard it may actually be a symptom and that inflamation is the culpret of artery blockage. I've had inflamation diseases all my life (arthritis, tendonitis, etc) and I've noticed that by following a anti-inflamation diet that they are better. This is what led me to become a

veggie and I suspect a vegan later. I have a hard time giving up milk products. I love my coffee in the am and also, most veggie soups are made with cream or milk, so when we eat out, it's often the only option.

ank_art <ank_art wrote:

thanks!

Welcome Natalia,

Guest guest

Hi jo,

what does he say about water?

, " heartwerk " <heartwork@c...> wrote:

> I think flax seed and oatmeal are good for you in general, and may

> well have a good effect on cholesterol. I have a book by a Dr

> Batmangelich about water, which is very interesting. I hadn't heard

> about the grapefruit, but you could use other juices instead.

>

> Jo

>

Guest guest

Hi jo,

thanks for the article,

I will foward it to my mom who has got arthritis. (I will cut out the

eating fish part!)

-anouk

, " Jo Cwazy " <heartwork@c...> wrote:

> Hi Jonnie

>

> I have this article saved on my pc because I think inflammation

causes so many diseases.

>

> Guidelines for an Anti-Inflammatory Lifestyle

> Jacob Farin, N.D.

>

>

> The main reason people seek a physician's advice is for pain relief.

> Although there are numerous botanical and nutritional treatments to

> reduce pain and inflammation, the main naturopathic defenses are foods.

> By paying attention to the foods that we eat, we can reduce the

> occurrence of pain and inflammation. Mark, who came to me for treatment

> of ulcerative colitis, experienced significant improvement when he

> followed this outline for an anti-inflammatory lifestyle. Within 3

> months, he was nearly symptom free and was able to treat himself to a

> day of indulgence at his daughter's wedding. Best of all, he experienced

> no ill effect.

>

> 1. Eliminate pro-inflammatory foods

>

> Red Meats and Peanuts: These foods contain high levels of arachidonic

> acid, a type of fatty acid that converts into inflammatory mediators.

> Removing these foods from the diet decreases the levels of arachidonic

> acid in the body and reduces the occurrence of inflammation.

>

> Caffeine, fried foods, carbonated drinks, alcohol: These foods greatly

> increase oxidation and free radicals, both of which initiate the

> inflammatory process, and makes one prone towards inflammation.

>

> Food allergies: Foods that do not agree with us can produce metabolites

> that interfere with normal bodily function and impair expedient healing

> of inflamed tissues. Many people experience long-term relief of pain

> with the simple elimination of food allergens such as wheat and dairy,

> especially those with long-term intestinal disorders.

>

> 2. Implement a plant-based diet

>

> Vegetables and fruits: These foods are rich in carotenoids and

> bioflavonoids that are powerful antioxidants, preventing free radical

> production and reducing the occurrence of inflammation. The more richly

> colored the fruit or vegetable, the more antioxidants it contains. Make

> sure every meal contains a healthy serving of fruits or vegetables

>

> Cold water fish: Salmon, halibut, mackerel, tuna, trout and other cold

> water fish contain lots of omega-3 fatty acids. These fatty acids offset

> the production of arachidonic acid, as well as favor the production of

> mediators that inhibit inflammation. Eat at least 3 servings of fish

> every week.

>

> Flax oil: This is rich in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids which work

> similarly to fish oils to help reduce inflammation. Use it in salads or

> in fruit smoothies, but never cook with it because of its strong

> tendency towards being oxidized.

>

> Ginger: Ginger has been shown to be a powerful anti-inflammatory agent.

> Use it freely in your cooking or make a tea with it. It also helps

> reduce nausea and some forms of abdominal distress.

>

> Whole grains, legumes, soy products: These foods are great sources for

> protein without the pro-inflammatory arachidonic acid. Skinless chicken

> breasts may also be added since most of the fat is found in the skin.

>

> 3. Nutritional supplements

>

> Correct nutritional deficiencies: Nutritional deficiencies can

> exacerbate pain and inflammation by slowing down the healing process of

> injured tissues. It is well established that deficiencies in zinc and

> vitamins C and A can delay wound healing. Deficiencies in minerals, such

> as calcium and magnesium, can also aggravate muscular pain.

>

> Antioxidants: Powerful antioxidants include vitamins A, C and E,

> carotenoids and bioflavonoids, along with selenium and glutathione.

>

> 4. Move that body!

>

> Exercise: Not only is exercise a great way to relieve stress and

> tension, but it promotes circulation, allowing vital nutrients to

> diffuse throughout the body, while flushing out metabolic waste.

> Exercise does not have to be strenuous. Daily walking or yoga is

> adequate enough to get the blood moving.

>

> Let this guideline for an anti-inflammatory lifestyle be a part of your

> natural management for pain and inflammation.

Guest guest

I wonder why they have a problem with arachidonic acid since it is one of the essential fatty acids required by most mammals. Critters that lack the ability to convert linoleic acid into arachidonic acid, have problems because arachidonic acid isn't found in most plants. Peanuts being the exception. It is why cats are carnivores.

[edit]

Ya know, that pesky Omega 6 fatty acid that most folks take fish oil pills for.

Lynda

1. Eliminate pro-inflammatory foodsRed Meats and Peanuts: These foods contain high levels of arachidonicacid, a type of fatty acid that converts into inflammatory mediators.Removing these foods from the diet decreases the levels of arachidonicacid in the body and reduces the occurrence of inflammation.

Guest guest

Well, I drink decaf, but hell no alcohol! please, no dont take my alcohol. I `m glad Frag wasnt here to see it, Id imagine his hair falling out ( if he wasnt bald)

The Valley Vegan.............

Fel iar glwc Miserable Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

Hi Jonnie

I have this article saved on my pc because I think inflammation causes so many diseases.

Guidelines for an Anti-Inflammatory LifestyleJacob Farin, N.D.The main reason people seek a physician's advice is for pain relief.Although there are numerous botanical and nutritional treatments toreduce pain and inflammation, the main naturopathic defenses are foods.By paying attention to the foods that we eat, we can reduce theoccurrence of pain and inflammation. Mark, who came to me for treatmentof ulcerative colitis, experienced significant improvement when hefollowed this outline for an anti-inflammatory lifestyle. Within 3months, he was nearly symptom free and was able to treat himself to aday of indulgence at his daughter's wedding. Best of all, he experiencedno ill effect.1. Eliminate pro-inflammatory foodsRed Meats and

Peanuts: These foods contain high levels of arachidonicacid, a type of fatty acid that converts into inflammatory mediators.Removing these foods from the diet decreases the levels of arachidonicacid in the body and reduces the occurrence of inflammation.Caffeine, fried foods, carbonated drinks, alcohol: These foods greatlyincrease oxidation and free radicals, both of which initiate theinflammatory process, and makes one prone towards inflammation.Food allergies: Foods that do not agree with us can produce metabolitesthat interfere with normal bodily function and impair expedient healingof inflamed tissues. Many people experience long-term relief of painwith the simple elimination of food allergens such as wheat and dairy,especially those with long-term intestinal disorders.2. Implement a plant-based dietVegetables and fruits: These foods are rich in carotenoids andbioflavonoids that are powerful antioxidants,

preventing free radicalproduction and reducing the occurrence of inflammation. The more richlycolored the fruit or vegetable, the more antioxidants it contains. Makesure every meal contains a healthy serving of fruits or vegetablesCold water fish: Salmon, halibut, mackerel, tuna, trout and other coldwater fish contain lots of omega-3 fatty acids. These fatty acids offsetthe production of arachidonic acid, as well as favor the production ofmediators that inhibit inflammation. Eat at least 3 servings of fishevery week.Flax oil: This is rich in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids which worksimilarly to fish oils to help reduce inflammation. Use it in salads orin fruit smoothies, but never cook with it because of its strongtendency towards being oxidized.Ginger: Ginger has been shown to be a powerful anti-inflammatory agent.Use it freely in your cooking or make a tea with it. It also helpsreduce nausea and some forms of

abdominal distress.Whole grains, legumes, soy products: These foods are great sources forprotein without the pro-inflammatory arachidonic acid. Skinless chickenbreasts may also be added since most of the fat is found in the skin.3. Nutritional supplementsCorrect nutritional deficiencies: Nutritional deficiencies canexacerbate pain and inflammation by slowing down the healing process ofinjured tissues. It is well established that deficiencies in zinc andvitamins C and A can delay wound healing. Deficiencies in minerals, suchas calcium and magnesium, can also aggravate muscular pain.Antioxidants: Powerful antioxidants include vitamins A, C and E,carotenoids and bioflavonoids, along with selenium and glutathione.4. Move that body!Exercise: Not only is exercise a great way to relieve stress andtension, but it promotes circulation, allowing vital nutrients todiffuse throughout the body, while flushing out

metabolic waste.Exercise does not have to be strenuous. Daily walking or yoga isadequate enough to get the blood moving.Let this guideline for an anti-inflammatory lifestyle be a part of yournatural management for pain and inflammation.Peter H

To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security Centre.

Guest guest

I`m the same, I love Grapefruit, and thought the opposite about them? now I am confused. I`ve been vegan for 15 years and still have high cholestrol ( hereditary ) , though I have no doubt that it would be higher if I wasnt vegan.

I take a suppliment with EFA/GLA ( thanks Jo for the heads up), Dont eat much processed foods, salt, alcohol to excess, am only 10 stone at 44 years old, so dont know much else that I could do? Maybe give up the grapefruit?

Ddim yn werth ei halen Not worth his salt ank_art <ank_art wrote:

thanks!

i've been vegan for almost 3 years and was really shocked to find my cholesterol was high -- even though it runs in the family (all meat eaters)

i went to a nutritionist who's open to different diets and she suggested adding flaxseed and oatmeal and drinking more water

somewhere i read that certain meds recommend not eating grapefruit -- not sure if there's any connection with cholesterol production, but i had been drinking lots of gpfruit juice and completely stopped

just not sure if i'm missing something obvious.. have been searching online but not finding anything helpful ;(

Hi AndreaHave you been vegan for long? Usually there shouldn't be too much problem with high cholesterol in vegans. I would make sure you get enough vitamin B complex and also take a good all round vitamin and mineral supplement with extra vitamin E and vitamin C.I'll have to dip into some of my books to see what else might help (I'm at work at present) and get back to you.Jo , ank_art <ank_art> wrote:> (head pops up in new jersey)> > hi natalia-> i've seen those colorful vitamin waters here -- they seem very popular... not sure if they're vegan since they contain lactates and vitamin B12 that may be animal-derived.... the company website is www.glaceau.com -- probably best to ask directly> are you looking for vitamin

supplements that are vegan? > > i'm curious if anyone has suggestions on vegan ways to lower cholesterol... would appreciate any suggestions... it's in my genes apparently and i want to avoid taking cholesterol-lowering drugs > > thanks!> andrea> > peter hurd <swpgh01@t...> wrote:> Welcome Natalia,> Sorry, but I have never heard of that product. I would suggest that you look up the manufacturer on the web, and look for the ingredients. Also look for a contact link, and send them an e-mail asking them.> > The Valley Vegan................> > > Po mwyaf y llanw, mwyaf y trai The greater the flow, the greater the ebb > > Natalia <natychaos> wrote:> Hi im new to the group, and I have recently become a vegan after > several years of being an octo-vegetarian. My question

is:> Is it ok to drink Glaceau Vitamin Water to help in my vegan diet? any > suggestions please let me know.> > Thanks,> NC> > > > > > > > To send an email to - >

Guest guest

LOL - you probably don't need an anti-inflammatory diet, so don't panic

!

Jo

-

peter hurd

Friday, September 30, 2005 9:46 PM

Well, I drink decaf, but hell no alcohol! please, no dont take my alcohol. I `m glad Frag wasnt here to see it, Id imagine his hair falling out ( if he wasnt bald)

Fel iar glwc Miserable Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

Hi Jonnie

Guidelines for an Anti-Inflammatory LifestyleJacob Farin, N.D.The main reason people seek a physician's advice is for pain relief.Although there are numerous botanical and nutritional treatments toreduce pain and inflammation, the main naturopathic defenses are foods.By paying attention to the foods that we eat, we can reduce theoccurrence of pain and inflammation. Mark, who came to me for treatmentof ulcerative colitis, experienced significant improvement when hefollowed this outline for an anti-inflammatory lifestyle. Within 3months, he was nearly symptom free and was able to treat himself to aday of indulgence at his daughter's wedding. Best of all, he experiencedno ill effect.1. Eliminate pro-inflammatory foodsRed Meats and Peanuts: These foods contain high levels of arachidonicacid, a type of fatty acid that converts into inflammatory mediators.Removing these foods from the diet decreases the levels of arachidonicacid in the body and reduces the occurrence of inflammation.Caffeine, fried foods, carbonated drinks, alcohol: These foods greatlyincrease oxidation and free radicals, both of which initiate theinflammatory process, and makes one prone towards inflammation.Food allergies: Foods that do not agree with us can produce metabolitesthat interfere with normal bodily function and impair expedient healingof inflamed tissues. Many people experience long-term relief of painwith the simple elimination of food allergens such as wheat and dairy,especially those with long-term intestinal disorders.2. Implement a plant-based dietVegetables and fruits: These foods are rich in carotenoids andbioflavonoids that are powerful antioxidants, preventing free radicalproduction and reducing the occurrence of inflammation. The more richlycolored the fruit or vegetable, the more antioxidants it contains. Makesure every meal contains a healthy serving of fruits or vegetablesCold water fish: Salmon, halibut, mackerel, tuna, trout and other coldwater fish contain lots of omega-3 fatty acids. These fatty acids offsetthe production of arachidonic acid, as well as favor the production ofmediators that inhibit inflammation. Eat at least 3 servings of fishevery week.Flax oil: This is rich in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids which worksimilarly to fish oils to help reduce inflammation. Use it in salads orin fruit smoothies, but never cook with it because of its strongtendency towards being oxidized.Ginger: Ginger has been shown to be a powerful anti-inflammatory agent.Use it freely in your cooking or make a tea with it. It also helpsreduce nausea and some forms of abdominal distress.Whole grains, legumes, soy products: These foods are great sources forprotein without the pro-inflammatory arachidonic acid. Skinless chickenbreasts may also be added since most of the fat is found in the skin.3. Nutritional supplementsCorrect nutritional deficiencies: Nutritional deficiencies canexacerbate pain and inflammation by slowing down the healing process ofinjured tissues. It is well established that deficiencies in zinc andvitamins C and A can delay wound healing. Deficiencies in minerals, suchas calcium and magnesium, can also aggravate muscular pain.Antioxidants: Powerful antioxidants include vitamins A, C and E,carotenoids and bioflavonoids, along with selenium and glutathione.4. Move that body!Exercise: Not only is exercise a great way to relieve stress andtension, but it promotes circulation, allowing vital nutrients todiffuse throughout the body, while flushing out metabolic waste.Exercise does not have to be strenuous. Daily walking or yoga isadequate enough to get the blood moving.Let this guideline for an anti-inflammatory lifestyle be a part of yournatural management for pain and inflammation.

Peter H

To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security Centre.

Guest guest

You probably can't do anymore Peter. I know high cholesterol runs in some families. There seems to be a lot in the news lately about 'statins' but I'm not sure what they are, or whether they are vegan.

Jo

-

peter hurd

Friday, September 30, 2005 9:52 PM

Re: Re: Can anyone help me please:)

I`m the same, I love Grapefruit, and thought the opposite about them? now I am confused. I`ve been vegan for 15 years and still have high cholestrol ( hereditary ) , though I have no doubt that it would be higher if I wasnt vegan.

I take a suppliment with EFA/GLA ( thanks Jo for the heads up), Dont eat much processed foods, salt, alcohol to excess, am only 10 stone at 44 years old, so dont know much else that I could do? Maybe give up the grapefruit?

Ddim yn werth ei halen Not worth his salt ank_art <ank_art wrote:

thanks!

Hi AndreaHave you been vegan for long? Usually there shouldn't be too much problem with high cholesterol in vegans. I would make sure you get enough vitamin B complex and also take a good all round vitamin and mineral supplement with extra vitamin E and vitamin C.I'll have to dip into some of my books to see what else might help (I'm at work at present) and get back to you.Jo , ank_art <ank_art> wrote:> (head pops up in new jersey)> > hi natalia-> i've seen those colorful vitamin waters here -- they seem very popular... not sure if they're vegan since they contain lactates and vitamin B12 that may be animal-derived.... the company website is www.glaceau.com -- probably best to ask directly> are you looking for vitamin supplements that are vegan? > > i'm curious if anyone has suggestions on vegan ways to lower cholesterol... would appreciate any suggestions... it's in my genes apparently and i want to avoid taking cholesterol-lowering drugs > > thanks!> andrea> > peter hurd <swpgh01@t...> wrote:> Welcome Natalia,> Sorry, but I have never heard of that product. I would suggest that you look up the manufacturer on the web, and look for the ingredients. Also look for a contact link, and send them an e-mail asking them.> > The Valley Vegan................> > > Po mwyaf y llanw, mwyaf y trai The greater the flow, the greater the ebb > > Natalia <natychaos> wrote:> Hi im new to the group, and I have recently become a vegan after > several years of being an octo-vegetarian. My question is:> Is it ok to drink Glaceau Vitamin Water to help in my vegan diet? any > suggestions please let me know.> > Thanks,> NC> > > > > > > > To send an email to - >

Guest guest

what is ten stone?

, peter hurd <swpgh01@t...> wrote:

am only 10 stone at 44 years old, so dont know much else that I

could do? Maybe give up the grapefruit?

>

>

> The Valley Vegan.............

> Ddim yn werth ei halen Not worth his salt

>

>

Guest guest

My weight!

14 pounds in a stone

approx 63.5 kilos

The Valley Vegan...............

Os nad oes dim gwahaniaeth gennych If you don't mind Anouk Sickler <zurumato wrote:

what is ten stone? , peter hurd wrote:am only 10 stone at 44 years old, so dont know much else that Icould do? Maybe give up the grapefruit?> > > The Valley Vegan.............> Ddim yn werth ei halen Not worth his salt > >

Guest guest

I think the typical cholesterol-lowering drug is a type of "statin"... sounds like taking them may have the same odds as flipping a coin -- or worse... I found this info on a medical website

How do statins work? What are the side effects of these drugs?

Statins are a class of drugs used to lower blood cholesterol. They work in your liver to block a substance needed to make cholesterol. They may also help your body reabsorb cholesterol that has accumulated in plaques on your artery walls. This helps prevent further blockage in your blood vessels. Long-term use of statins may even reduce existing blockage in narrowed blood vessels.

Statins have many benefits. In some people, they can reduce the risk of heart attack and stroke. Like all medications, statins have potential side effects. Although statins are well tolerated by most people, the most common side effects are:

Nausea

Diarrhea

Constipation

Muscle aching

In addition, two potentially serious side effects are:

Elevated liver enzymes. Occasionally, statin use causes an increase in liver enzymes. If the increase is only mild, you can continue to take the drug. If the increase is severe, you may need to stop taking it, which usually reverses the problem. Certain other cholesterol-lowering drugs, such as gemfibrozil (Lopid) and niacin, increase the risk of liver problems in people who take statins. Because liver problems may develop without symptoms, people who take statins should have their liver function tested periodically.

Statin myopathy. Statins may cause muscle pain and tenderness (statin myopathy). In severe cases, muscle cells can break down (rhabdomyolysis) and release a protein called myoglobin into the bloodstream. Myoglobin can impair kidney function and lead to kidney failure. Certain drugs when taken with statins can increase the risk of rhabdomyolysis. These include gemfibrozil, erythromycin (Erythrocin), antifungal medications, nefazodone (Serzone), cyclosporine and niacin. If you take statins and have new muscle aching or tenderness, consult with your doctor.

Avoid taking statins with grapefruit juice, which alters your body's metabolism of these drugs. Also, doctors generally recommend that people take statins late in the day because the body makes most of its cholesterol at night.

Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

You probably can't do anymore Peter. I know high cholesterol runs in some families. There seems to be a lot in the news lately about 'statins' but I'm not sure what they are, or whether they are vegan.

Jo

-

peter hurd

Friday, September 30, 2005 9:52 PM

Re: Re: Can anyone help me please:)

Ddim yn werth ei halen Not worth his salt