IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

i don't think whoops will cover it...

Rate this topic

Guest guest

The highest compliment, thank you Jo. You have a heart of gold.

The Valley Vegan.............Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

Of course not - we wouldn't have you as an Englishman now would we.

Jo

-

peter hurd

Saturday, August 20, 2005 8:02 PM

Re: Re: i don't think "whoops" will cover it...

Please tell me you didnt call me an Englishman, say it, SAY IT!

GRRRRRRRRRR!

The ( Welsh ) Valley Vegan............Lynda <lurine wrote:

O.K., I'm having a hard time here coming up with a visual. I mean, we have Jeff Foxworthy and Deliverance, so visuals aren't a problem over here. What the heck does a rednecked Englishman look like?

Lynda

-

Jo Cwazy

Friday, August 19, 2005 2:59 PM

I didn't know there was a redneck area of Wales :-) I must have missed it on my visits.

Jo

-

peter hurd

Friday, August 19, 2005 10:45 PM

Darn tootin it is...........

The Valley Vegan................talking more redkneck every day?!!?!

Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

In the UK - always have done. Although I'm not Christian I used to enjoy the festivities each year and decorating the tree (of coure that is a Pagan thing anyway).

Jo

-

Lynda

Friday, August 19, 2005 10:21 PM

Someone want to tell me where the schools had nativity plays? They sure didn't in the Bay Area in the 50s and 60s or counties north in the 60s, 70s, 80s or 90s. So, where did they do this? The Bible Belt?

And besides Catholic and other religious schools, where and when did any public anything have Christ on a cross?

As to your Christian charities, well, most of them reguire some type of religion in exchange for their services. You do know that most Salvation Army outfits that handed out food (commodities) required that folks not wear crosses that came into their buildings to collect the food? The list goes on. The outfits in Texas getting the money since Dumbya are all about preaching and not giving unless you belong to the "correct" religion. Pagens and Wiccans are routinely turned away. In the dark ages, gays were routinely turned away.

I think looking back on things makes a big difference to what one sees and it isn't always the reality that others lived through.

Lynda

-

peter hurd

Friday, August 19, 2005 2:00 PM

The land of the free, and the home of the brave.

On the flip side, we are not alowed to have religious imagery any more at christmas time in our schools for danger of offending other beliefs of minorities. Even if the school only has one muslim/jew/whatever.....

No more Christ on the cross, no more nativity, no more Christmas.This saddens me, not because of the religious aspect, more of a tradition/freedom ting.

Why couldnt schools send out memos to all the parents warning them that Christmas is coming and asking them if there are any objections to a traditional nativity play? surely if there were objections, then some sort of arrangement could be made to accomodate these and excuse them from attending?

Meanwhile, charities such as Christian Aid help out these "minorities", and their help is never regarded as offensive?!, they never have to change their name to Non specific belief Aid! Their aid is neve refused on religious grounds.

This PC society has gone too far in this country.

The Valley Vegan........Jonnie Hellens <jonnie_hellens wrote:

Or female with the right goods!fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: along the same lines...the guy who tried to board a plane in oklahoma last week with pipebomb in his luggage got released on bail...he got bailed out by the ex mayor of oklahoma city, who said something along the lines of "boys will be boys.."so..apparantly, if yer caucasian, and live in a "red" state..its all ok..hey..mistakes happenif you happen to be named mohammed, er have dark skin, maybe, oh, brazilian, then...*bang*.."stop or we'll shoot".."oh damn..i got it backwards again.."the world is amessed up placea blinding flash hotter than the sun dead bodies lie across the path the radiation colors the airfinishing one by one

Guest guest

as do you :-)

Jo

-

peter hurd

Saturday, August 20, 2005 8:15 PM

The highest compliment, thank you Jo. You have a heart of gold.

The Valley Vegan.............Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

Of course not - we wouldn't have you as an Englishman now would we.

Jo

-

peter hurd

Saturday, August 20, 2005 8:02 PM

Please tell me you didnt call me an Englishman, say it, SAY IT!

GRRRRRRRRRR!

The ( Welsh ) Valley Vegan............Lynda <lurine wrote:

O.K., I'm having a hard time here coming up with a visual. I mean, we have Jeff Foxworthy and Deliverance, so visuals aren't a problem over here. What the heck does a rednecked Englishman look like?

Lynda

-

Jo Cwazy

Friday, August 19, 2005 2:59 PM

I didn't know there was a redneck area of Wales :-) I must have missed it on my visits.

Jo

-

peter hurd

Friday, August 19, 2005 10:45 PM

Darn tootin it is...........

The Valley Vegan................talking more redkneck every day?!!?!

Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

In the UK - always have done. Although I'm not Christian I used to enjoy the festivities each year and decorating the tree (of coure that is a Pagan thing anyway).

Jo

-

Lynda

Friday, August 19, 2005 10:21 PM

Someone want to tell me where the schools had nativity plays? They sure didn't in the Bay Area in the 50s and 60s or counties north in the 60s, 70s, 80s or 90s. So, where did they do this? The Bible Belt?

And besides Catholic and other religious schools, where and when did any public anything have Christ on a cross?

As to your Christian charities, well, most of them reguire some type of religion in exchange for their services. You do know that most Salvation Army outfits that handed out food (commodities) required that folks not wear crosses that came into their buildings to collect the food? The list goes on. The outfits in Texas getting the money since Dumbya are all about preaching and not giving unless you belong to the "correct" religion. Pagens and Wiccans are routinely turned away. In the dark ages, gays were routinely turned away.

I think looking back on things makes a big difference to what one sees and it isn't always the reality that others lived through.

Lynda

-

peter hurd

Friday, August 19, 2005 2:00 PM

The land of the free, and the home of the brave.

On the flip side, we are not alowed to have religious imagery any more at christmas time in our schools for danger of offending other beliefs of minorities. Even if the school only has one muslim/jew/whatever.....

No more Christ on the cross, no more nativity, no more Christmas.This saddens me, not because of the religious aspect, more of a tradition/freedom ting.

Why couldnt schools send out memos to all the parents warning them that Christmas is coming and asking them if there are any objections to a traditional nativity play? surely if there were objections, then some sort of arrangement could be made to accomodate these and excuse them from attending?

Meanwhile, charities such as Christian Aid help out these "minorities", and their help is never regarded as offensive?!, they never have to change their name to Non specific belief Aid! Their aid is neve refused on religious grounds.

This PC society has gone too far in this country.

The Valley Vegan........Jonnie Hellens <jonnie_hellens wrote:

Or female with the right goods!fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: along the same lines...the guy who tried to board a plane in oklahoma last week with pipebomb in his luggage got released on bail...he got bailed out by the ex mayor of oklahoma city, who said something along the lines of "boys will be boys.."so..apparantly, if yer caucasian, and live in a "red" state..its all ok..hey..mistakes happenif you happen to be named mohammed, er have dark skin, maybe, oh, brazilian, then...*bang*.."stop or we'll shoot".."oh damn..i got it backwards again.."the world is amessed up placea blinding flash hotter than the sun dead bodies lie across the path the radiation colors the airfinishing one by one

Guest guest

Hi Peter

> On the flip side, we are not alowed to have religious imagery any more at christmas time in our schools for danger of

> offending other beliefs of minorities. Even if the school only has one muslim/jew/whatever.....

> No more Christ on the cross, no more nativity, no more Christmas.This saddens me, not because of the religious aspect,

> more of a tradition/freedom ting.

The problem is that there was *only* Christian emphasis in schools. I personally have a bit of a grudge about this, because I thought that there was no-one who shared my religious beliefs until I was 23 years old. In school it was always "this is the way it is", with no room for any other beliefs. We need a period in which Christian-specific imagery is suppressed in educational establishments in order to allow a genuine balance to appear. I do find the image of Christ on the Cross to be offensive, because of the stigma (excuse the pun) that goes with it... the "Jesus died for your sins" stuff, which is actually quite offensive to non Christians.

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Hi Lynda

> Someone want to tell me where the schools had nativity plays? They sure didn't in the Bay Area in the 50s

> and 60s or counties north in the 60s, 70s, 80s or 90s. So, where did they do this? The Bible Belt?

There's a little country you may have heard of... it's called the UK. If you look on a map, you'll find it marked as a small blob with "here be Dragons" :-)

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Hi Peter

> Yeah wot e said.

> 'Oliver Cromwell, Lord Protector of England, Scotland, France and Ireland, and the territories thereunto

> belonging'...............not Wales.

Wales is covered by "the territories thereunto belonging"... Ireland, Scotland and France were still fairly new acquisitions to English rule (OK, technically France wasn't under English rule, but the English liked to think it was)... Wales had been under English control for several centuries.

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Hi Fraggle

> well...no offense, maybe they didn't think to add it

> wales had been subsumed into the UK for how long by then?

> (sorry..don't know as much british history as i should...)

OK... brief British history lesson...

Wales was taken by the English in about the 12th century (but had been a sub-kingdom for quite a while before that). During the later Middle Ages it was just considered to be a part of England.

Scotland briefly came under English control during the 13th century, but was rapidly taken back by the Scots. in 1603, James VI of Scotland became James I of England, so technically England (and Wales) came under Scottish rule... but for political reasons, James moved to London and placed England over Scotland in his title.

In the early 18th century (I think 1707), England (including Wales) and Scotland were officially named "Great Britain". By this time Ireland was also under English rule.

In the early 20th century (I think about 1921), the Act of Union created the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland". When Eire gained it's independence a little while later, it became "The United Kingfom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland".

So, technically, Wales was never subsumed into the UK because the UK didn't exist at the time!

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Wot e said............

The Valley Vegan........Peter <metalscarab wrote:

Hi Fraggle

> well...no offense, maybe they didn't think to add it

> wales had been subsumed into the UK for how long by then?

> (sorry..don't know as much british history as i should...)

OK... brief British history lesson...

Wales was taken by the English in about the 12th century (but had been a sub-kingdom for quite a while before that). During the later Middle Ages it was just considered to be a part of England.

Scotland briefly came under English control during the 13th century, but was rapidly taken back by the Scots. in 1603, James VI of Scotland became James I of England, so technically England (and Wales) came under Scottish rule... but for political reasons, James moved to London and placed England over Scotland in his title.

In the early 18th century (I think 1707), England (including Wales) and Scotland were officially named "Great Britain". By this time Ireland was also under English rule.

In the early 20th century (I think about 1921), the Act of Union created the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland". When Eire gained it's independence a little while later, it became "The United Kingfom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland".

So, technically, Wales was never subsumed into the UK because the UK didn't exist at the time!

BB

PeterPeter H

To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security Centre.

Guest guest

I totally agree with you, but most kids in school dont take religion too seriously, and it is not too high on their list of priorities.

I was thinking of tradition rather than any religious significance, and the pampering to other races and religions at the expense of the traditional british way of life. And before anyone reads too much into that statement, I realy dont care about religion, only concerned about the effects it has and the suffering it causes.

The Valley Vegan...........Peter <metalscarab wrote:

Hi Peter

> On the flip side, we are not alowed to have religious imagery any more at christmas time in our schools for danger of

> offending other beliefs of minorities. Even if the school only has one muslim/jew/whatever.....

> No more Christ on the cross, no more nativity, no more Christmas.This saddens me, not because of the religious aspect,

The problem is that there was *only* Christian emphasis in schools. I personally have a bit of a grudge about this, because I thought that there was no-one who shared my religious beliefs until I was 23 years old. In school it was always "this is the way it is", with no room for any other beliefs. We need a period in which Christian-specific imagery is suppressed in educational establishments in order to allow a genuine balance to appear. I do find the image of Christ on the Cross to be offensive, because of the stigma (excuse the pun) that goes with it... the "Jesus died for your sins" stuff, which is actually quite offensive to non Christians.

BB

PeterPeter H

To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security Centre.

Guest guest

wait wait wait

did the fine gentleman from wales actually say "british way of life"???!!

ooh..gotta save this e-mail!

hee hee hee peter hurd Aug 22, 2005 5:33 AM Re: Re: i don't think "whoops" will cover it...

I totally agree with you, but most kids in school dont take religion too seriously, and it is not too high on their list of priorities.

I was thinking of tradition rather than any religious significance, and the pampering to other races and religions at the expense of the traditional british way of life. And before anyone reads too much into that statement, I realy dont care about religion, only concerned about the effects it has and the suffering it causes.

The Valley Vegan...........

a blinding flash hotter than the sun dead bodies lie across the path the radiation colors the air

finishing one by one

Guest guest

Can you expand on the "suffering it causes."

Lynda

-

peter hurd

Monday, August 22, 2005 5:33 AM

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

Peter H

Version: 7.0.338 / Virus Database: 267.10.14/79 - Release 8/22/05

Version: 7.0.338 / Virus Database: 267.10.14/79 - Release 8/22/05

Guest guest

Wait, Wait.............................did you call me ......... fine gentleman?!

You son of a baboons backside!

You got me there, I salute you.with a drink ( obviously).

The Valley Vegan.....( in a WELSH valley, part of Great Briatain ( sic)fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

wait wait wait

did the fine gentleman from wales actually say "british way of life"???!!

ooh..gotta save this e-mail!

hee hee hee peter hurd Aug 22, 2005 5:33 AM Re: Re: i don't think "whoops" will cover it...

The Valley Vegan...........

a blinding flash hotter than the sun dead bodies lie across the path the radiation colors the air

finishing one by one Peter H

Messenger NEW - crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with voicemail

Guest guest

War, e.g. Northern Ireland,The Crusades, The Cathars ( again) etc, etc,etc, Its never the churches that suffer, only the people on the receiving end of its "education" usually at the point of a sword/gun.

The Valley Vegan............Lynda <lurine wrote:

Lynda

-

peter hurd

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

Peter H

Version: 7.0.338 / Virus Database: 267.10.14/79 - Release 8/22/05Version: 7.0.338 / Virus Database: 267.10.14/79 - Release 8/22/05Peter H

Guest guest

Reading too fast. I thought the loss of the nativity plays was what you meant when you said there was suffering.

The other suffering because of religion is something we know well. My uncle was killed by the "kindness" of those nice religious folks because, after all, dirty heathen savages don't feel any pain and he, at 12, was only faking it so they left him to lie on the floor will he bled to death internally. Oh, and then somehow it was his fault.

Lynda

-

peter hurd

Tuesday, August 23, 2005 12:49 AM

War, e.g. Northern Ireland,The Crusades, The Cathars ( again) etc, etc,etc, Its never the churches that suffer, only the people on the receiving end of its "education" usually at the point of a sword/gun.

The Valley Vegan............Lynda <lurine wrote:

Lynda

-

peter hurd

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

Peter H

Version: 7.0.338 / Virus Database: 267.10.14/79 - Release 8/22/05Version: 7.0.338 / Virus Database: 267.10.14/79 - Release 8/22/05

Peter H

Guest guest

Hi Lynda

Boy, I could go on forever with this one!!! In fact if you think of

any religion in any country you can find at least one example.

But I will touch on Christianity and one instance that happened to

me.

10 years old, summer camp, first time away from my Father for that

long of a time and one girl tells me that I am going to burn in hell

for all eternity simply because I am not a Christian. And there is

nothing I can do about it. No matter how good I am, no matter what I

do, I will burn in hell and so will everyone I love.

How sweet and loving a statement. Believe me, I suffered on that one

for awhile.

Nikki

, " Lynda " <lurine@s...> wrote:

> Can you expand on the " suffering it causes. "

>

> Lynda

> -

> peter hurd

>

> Monday, August 22, 2005 5:33 AM

> Re: Re: i don't think " whoops " will cover

it...

>

>

> I totally agree with you, but most kids in school dont take

religion too seriously, and it is not too high on their list of

priorities.

> I was thinking of tradition rather than any religious

significance, and the pampering to other races and religions at the

expense of the traditional british way of life. And before anyone

reads too much into that statement, I realy dont care about

religion, only concerned about the effects it has and the suffering

it causes.

>

> The Valley Vegan...........

>

> Peter <metalscarab@c...> wrote:

> Hi Peter

>

> > On the flip side, we are not alowed to have religious

imagery any more at christmas time in our schools for danger of

> > offending other beliefs of minorities. Even if the school

only has one muslim/jew/whatever.....

> > No more Christ on the cross, no more nativity, no more

Christmas.This saddens me, not because of the religious aspect,

> > more of a tradition/freedom ting.

>

> The problem is that there was *only* Christian emphasis in

schools. I personally have a bit of a grudge about this, because I

thought that there was no-one who shared my religious beliefs until

I was 23 years old. In school it was always " this is the way it is " ,

with no room for any other beliefs. We need a period in which

Christian-specific imagery is suppressed in educational

establishments in order to allow a genuine balance to appear. I do

find the image of Christ on the Cross to be offensive, because of

the stigma (excuse the pun) that goes with it... the " Jesus died for

your sins " stuff, which is actually quite offensive to non

Christians.

>

> BB

> Peter

>

>

>

> Peter H

>

>

>

> -

-----------

> To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all

new Security Centre.

>

> To send an email to -

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

Hi Nikki

Obviously her parents/church hadn't got round to the 'love they neighbour'

part :-(

Jo

Hi Lynda

Boy, I could go on forever with this one!!! In fact if you think of

any religion in any country you can find at least one example.

But I will touch on Christianity and one instance that happened to

me.

10 years old, summer camp, first time away from my Father for that

long of a time and one girl tells me that I am going to burn in hell

for all eternity simply because I am not a Christian. And there is

nothing I can do about it. No matter how good I am, no matter what I

do, I will burn in hell and so will everyone I love.

How sweet and loving a statement. Believe me, I suffered on that one

for awhile.

Nikki

, " Lynda " <lurine@s...> wrote:

> Can you expand on the " suffering it causes. "

>

> Lynda

> -

> peter hurd

>

> Monday, August 22, 2005 5:33 AM

> Re: Re: i don't think " whoops " will cover