IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Heathens

Rate this topic

Guest guest

My MIL flipped her lid one time while I was there. She said some of her friends have been trying to convert her to Christianity and she's seriously offended and discusted about communion. She says her religion closely resembles Budhist, except she believes that when she dies, she's just nothing. I find that disconcerting, the thought of just disappearing!fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

yeah..i'm so glad we gave all that up and worship a carpenter who's been dead fer 2000 years, and we eat a cracker and call it his body.....

Jonnie Hellens Aug 19, 2005 10:47 AM Re: Heathens

Ugh, I miss my mind... Let's see I can remember any.

There was one in which an old couple gives their daughter to this young chap, he then takes over the place, forcing them to move into a small hut and hardly giving them any food. The SIL goes hunting each day, taking the old man with him to drive the animals thru a gap. The SIL is a good shot, but only wounds a buffalo and somehow he ends up with a clot of blood from the buffalo, hides it and takes it home. At home he tells his wife to boil some water and he dumps in the clot of blood, which turns into a baby. Thru a ritual, the baby is an adult by the next day. He gets rid of the evil SIL and then turns his attention to other repressed creatures. It was a Blackfoot myth called Blood-Clot. I can't remember it's Native American name, started with a K, Kutoyis I think.Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

Jonnie

Which ones did you think were far-fetched?

Jo

-

Jonnie Hellens

Friday, August 19, 2005 5:06 PM

Re: Heathens

Yeah, it was a very thought provoking class about world wide religions. Some of the myths were just too far fetched for me to even imagine. I guess that is what faith is.

Lynda <lurine wrote:

Oh boy, want to start a real war, call it a book of myths. Which, be definition it is. However, question them calling the beliefs of others myths, oh, that's different. that's o.k. That's the truth. Blah, blah, blah.

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Thursday, August 18, 2005 4:27 PM

I took a mythology class, based on Joseph Campbell's Hero of a Thousand faces. He said that the major religions are really the same thing, with the characters called by different names. He also said that the religious stories were symbolic of things, not actual events, to help us understand what can not be understood. (Them's fightin' words to many people.) fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

read that way back in the 80's

well..nuthin in it can be proven really..lotsa theories and such..

tho..i was intrigued at the time with the concept of jesus not being crucified and all that

and of course, it all became a best seller last year with the Da Vinci book.... peter hurd Aug 18, 2005 1:28 PM Re: Heathens

ALLEDGEDLY.......................Read R.S. & The holy Grail, I finished it this morning.Shit ending and realy just a time filler rather than a life changer, but the historical stuff ( if acurate ) is interesting. Now I need something else to read, Visited the library lunch time to take thebook back and picked up a Tom Holt to read. Hope its good.........any suggestions? nuthin too heavy for my retarded intellect!

The Valley Vegan..........fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

yeah..they scaled down the backside..carrying off "the treasures"... peter hurd Aug 18, 2005 11:29 AM Re: Heathens

Yes but what conviction, they marched down to the meadow of their own choice, without putting up any sort of fight despite knowing what was waiting for them..........incineration.

The holy grail nonsense stems from the story that a couple of them climbed over the back wall scaling the cliffs carrying some"sacred holy treasure" before they surrendered.

Load of twaddle, but interesting twaddle nevertheless!

The Valley Vegan.............fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

and they are linked with the holy grail.....

i think it was at montsegur where they were given a chance to surrender, but they said "give us a couple days", and then refused, and in the meantime, all the knights who were there with em converted to Catharism inside the castle and were then all killed with the regular Cathars...man, thats gotta be some good PR they were sellin at the last minute

"excuse me Sir Rolf, we really appreciate you fighting fer us, and, even tho it means yer death tomorrow, would you like to convert?"a blinding flash hotter than the sun dead bodies lie across the path the radiation colors the air

finishing one by one

Peter H

Messenger NEW - crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with voicemail To send an email to -

Guest guest

why disconcerting?

wot happens when you shuffle off this mortal coil, happens

if you go thru some pearly gates, er are reborn, er transmute into a frog, er become an energy cloud circling the 5th planet in the Proxima system er it all just ends and you vanish...why should it matter

you'll find out(er not) when yer time comes...

look at it this way,if there is nothing after death, guess wot, you won't know! so, why worry....correct? Jonnie Hellens Aug 19, 2005 12:32 PM Re: Heathens

My MIL flipped her lid one time while I was there. She said some of her friends have been trying to convert her to Christianity and she's seriously offended and discusted about communion. She says her religion closely resembles Budhist, except she believes that when she dies, she's just nothing. I find that disconcerting, the thought of just disappearing!

a blinding flash hotter than the sun dead bodies lie across the path the radiation colors the air

finishing one by one

Guest guest

Out of chaos comes order (alledgedly), so maybe there is a purpose to these fleshy bags of mostly water trudging around on this spinning rock?

Sorry, I`m talking bollocks again!

Life, don`t talk to me about life. brain the size of a small planet etc.........

The Valley Vegan............

fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

why disconcerting?

if you go thru some pearly gates, er are reborn, er transmute into a frog, er become an energy cloud circling the 5th planet in the Proxima system er it all just ends and you vanish...why should it matter

look at it this way,if there is nothing after death, guess wot, you won't know! so, why worry....correct? Jonnie Hellens Aug 19, 2005 12:32 PM Re: Heathens

My MIL flipped her lid one time while I was there. She said some of her friends have been trying to convert her to Christianity and she's seriously offended and discusted about communion. She says her religion closely resembles Budhist, except she believes that when she dies, she's just nothing. I find that disconcerting, the thought of just disappearing!

a blinding flash hotter than the sun dead bodies lie across the path the radiation colors the air

finishing one by one Peter H

How much free photo storage do you get? Store your holiday snaps for FREE with Photos. Get Photos

Guest guest

Oh, ya mean like taking some clay and taking someone's rib and turning it into a person?

Lynda, who couldn't resist <<bg>>

-

Jonnie Hellens

Friday, August 19, 2005 10:47 AM

There was one in which an old couple gives their daughter to this young chap, he then takes over the place, forcing them to move into a small hut and hardly giving them any food. The SIL goes hunting each day, taking the old man with him to drive the animals thru a gap. The SIL is a good shot, but only wounds a buffalo and somehow he ends up with a clot of blood from the buffalo, hides it and takes it home. At home he tells his wife to boil some water and he dumps in the clot of blood, which turns into a baby. Thru a ritual, the baby is an adult by the next day. He gets rid of the evil SIL and then turns his attention to other repressed creatures. It was a Blackfoot myth called Blood-Clot. I can't remember it's Native American name, started with a K, Kutoyis I think.Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

Jonnie

Jo

-

Jonnie Hellens

Yeah, it was a very thought provoking class about world wide religions. Some of the myths were just too far fetched for me to even imagine. I guess that is what faith is.

Lynda <lurine wrote:

Oh boy, want to start a real war, call it a book of myths. Which, be definition it is. However, question them calling the beliefs of others myths, oh, that's different. that's o.k. That's the truth. Blah, blah, blah.

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

I took a mythology class, based on Joseph Campbell's Hero of a Thousand faces. He said that the major religions are really the same thing, with the characters called by different names. He also said that the religious stories were symbolic of things, not actual events, to help us understand what can not be understood. (Them's fightin' words to many people.) fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

tho..i was intrigued at the time with the concept of jesus not being crucified and all that

and of course, it all became a best seller last year with the Da Vinci book.... peter hurd Aug 18, 2005 1:28 PM Re: Heathens

ALLEDGEDLY.......................Read R.S. & The holy Grail, I finished it this morning.Shit ending and realy just a time filler rather than a life changer, but the historical stuff ( if acurate ) is interesting. Now I need something else to read, Visited the library lunch time to take thebook back and picked up a Tom Holt to read. Hope its good.........any suggestions? nuthin too heavy for my retarded intellect!

yeah..they scaled down the backside..carrying off "the treasures"... peter hurd Aug 18, 2005 11:29 AM Re: Heathens

Yes but what conviction, they marched down to the meadow of their own choice, without putting up any sort of fight despite knowing what was waiting for them..........incineration.

The holy grail nonsense stems from the story that a couple of them climbed over the back wall scaling the cliffs carrying some"sacred holy treasure" before they surrendered.

i think it was at montsegur where they were given a chance to surrender, but they said "give us a couple days", and then refused, and in the meantime, all the knights who were there with em converted to Catharism inside the castle and were then all killed with the regular Cathars...man, thats gotta be some good PR they were sellin at the last minute

"excuse me Sir Rolf, we really appreciate you fighting fer us, and, even tho it means yer death tomorrow, would you like to convert?"a blinding flash hotter than the sun dead bodies lie across the path the radiation colors the air

finishing one by one

Peter H

Messenger NEW - crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with voicemail To send an email to -

Guest guest

Not worried, what can I do about it, worrying does nothing. No, just don't want to imagine that I cease to exist. Apparently communion really strikes a chord with her and she blows her head. Also interesting to note that she loves to be put to sleep for things, while I hate it, I would prefer to be conscious.

why disconcerting?

finishing one by one Jonnie

Start your day with - make it your home page

Guest guest

maybe I hiccuped and came up with the wrong thought, but didn't I read somewhere that Buddist believe we are part of his brain or consciousness?peter hurd <swpgh01 wrote:

Out of chaos comes order (alledgedly), so maybe there is a purpose to these fleshy bags of mostly water trudging around on this spinning rock?

Life, don`t talk to me about life. brain the size of a small planet etc.........

why disconcerting?

My MIL flipped her lid one time while I was there. She said some of her friends have been trying to convert her to Christianity and she's seriously offended and discusted about communion. She says her religion closely resembles Budhist, except she believes that when she dies, she's just nothing. I find that disconcerting, the thought of just disappearing!a blinding flash hotter than the sun dead bodies lie across the path the radiation colors the air

finishing one by one

Peter H

How much free photo storage do you get? Store your holiday snaps for FREE with Photos. Get Photos Jonnie

Guest guest

Oh, you mean that CAN'T happen?Lynda <lurine wrote:

Oh, ya mean like taking some clay and taking someone's rib and turning it into a person?

Lynda, who couldn't resist <<bg>>

-

Jonnie Hellens

Friday, August 19, 2005 10:47 AM

Jonnie

Jo

-

Jonnie Hellens

Lynda <lurine wrote:

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

finishing one by one

Peter H

Guest guest

Hmmmmm, what would you say if you found out someone on this list was Native American, or shared in Native American Religious Beliefs/Paths? Please tread lightly when talking of others faith stories since you do not know the faiths of all those on this list. This is actually a rather lovely story in its complete form. A savior/helper is sent to one in need. Not too different from another story I have heard spread around alot, something about a virgin giving birth to a savior who dies on a cross. Just something to think about.

Jonnie Hellens <jonnie_hellens wrote:

Jonnie

Jo

-

Jonnie Hellens

Lynda <lurine wrote:

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

finishing one by one

Peter H

Guest guest

Ah, but must we all not find our own way in this world. It may or may not be the path of our parents, but if it is the path that helps us and we are happy, is that so bad? Believe it or not, there might just be many paths on this journey.

My MIL flipped her lid one time while I was there. She said some of her friends have been trying to convert her to Christianity and she's seriously offended and discusted about communion. She says her religion closely resembles Budhist, except she believes that when she dies, she's just nothing. I find that disconcerting, the thought of just disappearing!fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

yeah..i'm so glad we gave all that up and worship a carpenter who's been dead fer 2000 years, and we eat a cracker and call it his body.....

Jonnie Hellens Aug 19, 2005 10:47 AM Re: Heathens

Jonnie

Jo

-

Jonnie Hellens

Lynda <lurine wrote:

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

finishing one by one

Peter H

Guest guest

Not quite.... It is not "his" consciousness that Buddists are part of, it is more a universal consciousness. I could recommend some great title if you want to read up on it. The teachings are very good for working on issues about "letting go" and "non-judgementalism".

DragonspirithealerJonnie Hellens <jonnie_hellens wrote:

maybe I hiccuped and came up with the wrong thought, but didn't I read somewhere that Buddist believe we are part of his brain or consciousness?peter hurd <swpgh01 wrote:

why disconcerting?

My MIL flipped her lid one time while I was there. She said some of her friends have been trying to convert her to Christianity and she's seriously offended and discusted about communion. She says her religion closely resembles Budhist, except she believes that when she dies, she's just nothing. I find that disconcerting, the thought of just disappearing!a blinding flash hotter than the sun dead bodies lie across the path the radiation colors the air

finishing one by one

Peter H

How much free photo storage do you get? Store your holiday snaps for FREE with Photos. Get Photos Jonnie

Guest guest

peter hurd wrote:

> Duh! Too much to take in for my small brain box. Tell you what, lets

> talk about veganism for a change?anyone tried using crumbled tofu on

> pizza instead of cheese? does it work?

I add a few tablespoons of whole-wheat flour to a squeezed-out container

of tofu, along with some basil and garlic, and it comes out similar to

ricotta.

serene

Guest guest

Thanks for the tip Serene, sounds good, and not a mention of religion! I love it when a plan comes together.

The Valley Vegan............serene <serene wrote:

peter hurd wrote:> Duh! Too much to take in for my small brain box. Tell you what, lets> talk about veganism for a change?anyone tried using crumbled tofu on> pizza instead of cheese? does it work?I add a few tablespoons of whole-wheat flour to a squeezed-out container of tofu, along with some basil and garlic, and it comes out similar to ricotta.serene

Guest guest

peter hurd wrote:

> Thanks for the tip Serene, sounds good, and not a mention of

> religion! I love it when a plan comes together.

*giggle* I'm an atheist. Religion, in general, bores me. Food, on the

other hand.

Last night, we had thick slices of vegan olive bread spread with a paste

of freshly roasted garlic, olive oil, and salt, and topped with roasted

red peppers (from a jar). What have y'all been eating that's yummy

lately? I'm back after a long nomail period, and I'm vegan again (for 5

days now, after two years of on-again-off-again), so I'm looking for my

vicarious food porn. :-)

serene

Guest guest

As you seem to know a bit about food, can you advise me as to which olives should I try ( never tried them), there seem to be so many types - green/black/greek/spanish/stuffed etc.

Also being the philistine that I am,and never tried them before, I bought some figs to try the other week as they were reduced. What on earth do you do with them? Do you peel them? do you eat all those seeds? I eat some of them , but to be honest they were sweet, but seedy.........

I know a lot of you out there are thinking, what is he like eh?but I never usually have money to spend on exotics.( he says taking a sip of his banana bread beer!)

The Valley Vegan...........serene <serene wrote:

peter hurd wrote:> Thanks for the tip Serene, sounds good, and not a mention of> religion! I love it when a plan comes together.*giggle* I'm an atheist. Religion, in general, bores me. Food, on the other hand.Last night, we had thick slices of vegan olive bread spread with a paste of freshly roasted garlic, olive oil, and salt, and topped with roasted red peppers (from a jar). What have y'all been eating that's yummy lately? I'm back after a long nomail period, and I'm vegan again (for 5 days now, after two years of on-again-off-again), so I'm looking for my vicarious food porn. :-)serene

Guest guest

peter hurd wrote:

> As you seem to know a bit about food, can you advise me as to which

> olives should I try ( never tried them), there seem to be so many

> types - green/black/greek/spanish/stuffed etc.

You've never tried olives at all? Give these a try:

Ripe (black) olives are the mildest. They are not as salty or as, um,

pickled-tasting as the rest.

More pungent, and saltier, are Spanish olives. These are a favorite of

mine because I grew up for part of my childhood in Spain. They're

wonderful sliced into pasta sauce, but I just eat them out of the jar

most of the time. They're also really good to put out in a bowl as a

party snack because they're so pretty.

Kalamata are the ones I'd try next if I were you. Greek, salty, and a

touch sweet, they're great on salads. Also, try mincing them up and

using them as a sandwich ingredient. They're great in a hummus sandwich.

Let me know how you like these three and I'll tell you what you might

like next. Where do you live? Do you have a good grocery store near you

with an olive bar?

> Also being the

> philistine that I am,and never tried them before, I bought some figs

> to try the other week as they were reduced. What on earth do you do

> with them? Do you peel them? do you eat all those seeds?

Oh, my gosh, figs are my absolute favorite. One of my husbands just

bought some more land behind his house, and the most exciting thing

about that to me is the THREE fig trees! You don't have to peel them.

Have you ever had a fig newton? The seeds are interesting, and if you

get used to them, you might like them. Just eat the fig whole, cutting

off the little hard stem part.

>I eat some

> of them , but to be honest they were sweet, but seedy......... I know

> a lot of you out there are thinking, what is he like eh?but I never

> usually have money to spend on exotics.( he says taking a sip of his

> banana bread beer!)

Sounds interesting. I don't like beer, but they sure do have some fun

varieties these days. Guy (the husband I mentioned above) loves dark

beers, and he likes to try new ones whenever we're someplace that serves

a large variety of beer.

serene

Guest guest

serene wrote:

> peter hurd wrote:

>

> > As you seem to know a bit about food, can you advise me as to which

> > olives should I try ( never tried them), there seem to be so many

> > types - green/black/greek/spanish/stuffed etc.

>

>

> You've never tried olives at all? Give these a try:

>

> Ripe (black) olives are the mildest. They are not as salty or as,

> um, pickled-tasting as the rest.

By the way, black olives are really good in Mexican food. They just seem

to fit.

serene

Guest guest

I live in one of the south wales valleys about 20 miles from the nearest deli that sells olives loose! I have looked at them but never tried them. My mother has a ja of pickled olives (green I think in vinegar with oregano) which she is going to put on a piza that she is going to make for me next week. ( sad isnt it,married, nearly 44 and still my mother cooks for me once a week!)

I`ll let you know,

peter hurd wrote:> As you seem to know a bit about food, can you advise me as to which> olives should I try ( never tried them), there seem to be so many> types - green/black/greek/spanish/stuffed etc.You've never tried olives at all? Give these a try:Ripe (black) olives are the mildest. They are not as salty or as, um, pickled-tasting as the rest.More pungent, and saltier, are Spanish olives. These are a favorite of mine because I grew up for part of my childhood in Spain. They're wonderful sliced into pasta sauce, but I just eat them out of the jar most of the time. They're also really good to put out in a bowl as a party snack because they're so pretty.Kalamata are the ones I'd try next if I were you. Greek, salty, and a touch sweet, they're great on salads. Also, try mincing them up and using them

as a sandwich ingredient. They're great in a hummus sandwich.Let me know how you like these three and I'll tell you what you might like next. Where do you live? Do you have a good grocery store near you with an olive bar?> Also being the> philistine that I am,and never tried them before, I bought some figs> to try the other week as they were reduced. What on earth do you do> with them? Do you peel them? do you eat all those seeds?Oh, my gosh, figs are my absolute favorite. One of my husbands just bought some more land behind his house, and the most exciting thing about that to me is the THREE fig trees! You don't have to peel them. Have you ever had a fig newton? The seeds are interesting, and if you get used to them, you might like them. Just eat the fig whole, cutting off the little hard stem part.>I eat some> of them , but to be honest they were sweet, but seedy......... I know> a

lot of you out there are thinking, what is he like eh?but I never> usually have money to spend on exotics.( he says taking a sip of his> banana bread beer!)Sounds interesting. I don't like beer, but they sure do have some fun varieties these days. Guy (the husband I mentioned above) loves dark beers, and he likes to try new ones whenever we're someplace that serves a large variety of beer.serene

Guest guest

peter hurd wrote:

> I live in one of the south wales valleys about 20 miles from the

> nearest deli that sells olives loose! I have looked at them but never

> tried them.

Try them. They're not some people's cup of tea, but I adore them.

> My mother has a ja of pickled olives (green I think in

> vinegar with oregano) which she is going to put on a piza that she is

> going to make for me next week. ( sad isnt it,married, nearly 44 and

> still my mother cooks for me once a week!)

I think it's sweet!

>

> I`ll let you know

Cool.

serene

Guest guest

Hi serene,

I am glad that you are back!

I love spanish olives,

once I went to a tapas bar and alls they had was like a million variations of olive tapas.

They were delicious.

I saw a small fig tree at a local nursery... I almost bought it.

It was exciting, a city person like myself had never seen a fig tree, with fig fruit. : )

can people eat those right off the tree or do you have to make Jam out of them?

-anouk

-

serene

8/20/2005 3:55:24 PM

peter hurd wrote:> As you seem to know a bit about food, can you advise me as to which> olives should I try ( never tried them), there seem to be so many> types - green/black/greek/spanish/stuffed etc.You've never tried olives at all? Give these a try:Ripe (black) olives are the mildest. They are not as salty or as, um, pickled-tasting as the rest.More pungent, and saltier, are Spanish olives. These are a favorite of mine because I grew up for part of my childhood in Spain. They're wonderful sliced into pasta sauce, but I just eat them out of the jar most of the time. They're also really good to put out in a bowl as a party snack because they're so pretty.Kalamata are the ones I'd try next if I were you. Greek, salty, and a touch sweet, they're great on salads. Also, try mincing them up and using them as a sandwich ingredient. They're great in a hummus sandwich.Let me know how you like these three and I'll tell you what you might like next. Where do you live? Do you have a good grocery store near you with an olive bar?> Also being the> philistine that I am,and never tried them before, I bought some figs> to try the other week as they were reduced. What on earth do you do> with them? Do you peel them? do you eat all those seeds?Oh, my gosh, figs are my absolute favorite. One of my husbands just bought some more land behind his house, and the most exciting thing about that to me is the THREE fig trees! You don't have to peel them. Have you ever had a fig newton? The seeds are interesting, and if you get used to them, you might like them. Just eat the fig whole, cutting off the little hard stem part.>I eat some> of them , but to be honest they were sweet, but seedy......... I know> a lot of you out there are thinking, what is he like eh?but I never> usually have money to spend on exotics.( he says taking a sip of his> banana bread beer!)Sounds interesting. I don't like beer, but they sure do have some fun varieties these days. Guy (the husband I mentioned above) loves dark beers, and he likes to try new ones whenever we're someplace that serves a large variety of beer.serene

Guest guest

On Sat, August 20, 2005 6:11 pm, zurumato said:

> Hi serene,

>

> I am glad that you are back!

Thanks!

> I saw a small fig tree at a local nursery... I almost bought it.

> It was exciting, a city person like myself had never seen a fig tree,

> with fig fruit. : )

:-)

> can people eat those right off the tree or do you have to make Jam out of

> them?

A plain, ripe fig, fresh from the tree, is one of the true joys of life.

serene

Guest guest

That would be nice, thank you!DragonSpiritHealer <dragonspirithealer wrote:

Not quite.... It is not "his" consciousness that Buddists are part of, it is more a universal consciousness. I could recommend some great title if you want to read up on it. The teachings are very good for working on issues about "letting go" and "non-judgementalism".

DragonspirithealerJonnie Hellens <jonnie_hellens wrote:

why disconcerting?

finishing one by one

Peter H

Jonnie

Guest guest

Actually DragonSpiritHealer, if you would have read the post, you would have seen that it was a myth that *I* have trouble with. I did not, nor never plan on stomping on other's beliefs and in actuallity, I am Native American, among many other things. I was asked what I believe in and while a lovely story, as you mentioned, I don't belive it. I accept that other's have different beliefs and sexual preferences and as far as I'm concerned, that's ok. It's what makes this world a beautiful rainbow.DragonSpiritHealer <dragonspirithealer wrote:

Hmmmmm, what would you say if you found out someone on this list was Native American, or shared in Native American Religious Beliefs/Paths? Please tread lightly when talking of others faith stories since you do not know the faiths of all those on this list. This is actually a rather lovely story in its complete form. A savior/helper is sent to one in need. Not too different from another story I have heard spread around alot, something about a virgin giving birth to a savior who dies on a cross. Just something to think about.

Jonnie

Jo

-

Jonnie Hellens

Lynda <lurine wrote:

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

finishing one by one

Peter H

Guest guest

Hmm... banana bread bread? Sounds intriguing! I didn't used to drink (until doc told me 1 alcoholic drink a day is good for the heart) and we went to some breweries for meals. I remember reading about jalepeno beer and some others, that I now want to go try. Gotta be a very frosty mug and the beer icy cold though. Otherwise in this weather, you soon have warm beer, which I can't stand! Tell me about some other (what is it called microbrewed?) unusual beers.peter hurd <swpgh01 wrote:

As you seem to know a bit about food, can you advise me as to which olives should I try ( never tried them), there seem to be so many types - green/black/greek/spanish/stuffed etc.

Also being the philistine that I am,and never tried them before, I bought some figs to try the other week as they were reduced. What on earth do you do with them? Do you peel them? do you eat all those seeds? I eat some of them , but to be honest they were sweet, but seedy.........

I know a lot of you out there are thinking, what is he like eh?but I never usually have money to spend on exotics.( he says taking a sip of his banana bread beer!)

peter hurd wrote:> Thanks for the tip Serene, sounds good, and not a mention of> religion! I love it when a plan comes together.*giggle* I'm an atheist. Religion, in general, bores me. Food, on the other hand.Last night, we had thick slices of vegan olive bread spread with a paste of freshly roasted garlic, olive oil, and salt, and topped with roasted red peppers (from a jar). What have y'all been eating that's yummy lately? I'm back after a long nomail period, and I'm vegan again (for 5 days now, after two years of on-again-off-again), so I'm looking for my vicarious food porn. :-)serene

Guest guest

I could tell you about the beer, but then I would have to kill you.

Are you in the UK? If not my list may not be of use.

The Valley Vegan...........Jonnie Hellens <jonnie_hellens wrote:

Hmm... banana bread bread? Sounds intriguing! I didn't used to drink (until doc told me 1 alcoholic drink a day is good for the heart) and we went to some breweries for meals. I remember reading about jalepeno beer and some others, that I now want to go try. Gotta be a very frosty mug and the beer icy cold though. Otherwise in this weather, you soon have warm beer, which I can't stand! Tell me about some other (what is it called microbrewed?) unusual beers.peter hurd <swpgh01 wrote:

Guest guest

I taught at a high school where mostly

everyone was evangelical. NO ONE had ever met an atheist. They thought we

were just myths.

One day, a teacher asked me if she could “lay

her hands on my head” to cure me of atheism. I politely said, “No,

thank you.”

Then I realized – if I had offered

to lay my hands on someone’s head to help them become an atheist, I would

have been fired in a heartbeat.

And the Christians in the US think they

are sooo abused….

Cynthia

On Behalf Of Jonnie Hellens

Friday, August 19, 2005 3:32

PM

My MIL flipped her lid one time while I was there. She said some

of her friends have been trying to convert her to Christianity and she's

seriously offended and discusted about communion. She says her religion

closely resembles Budhist, except she believes that when she dies, she's just

nothing. I find that disconcerting, the thought of just disappearing!

fraggle

<EBbrewpunx wrote:

yeah..i'm so glad we gave all that up and worship a carpenter who's

been dead fer 2000 years, and we eat a cracker and call it his body.....

Jonnie Hellens

Aug 19, 2005 10:47 AM

There was one in which an old couple gives their daughter to this young

chap, he then takes over the place, forcing them to move into a small hut and

hardly giving them any food. The SIL goes hunting each day, taking the

old man with him to drive the animals thru a gap. The SIL is a good

shot, but only wounds a buffalo and somehow he ends up with a clot of

blood from the buffalo, hides it and takes it home. At home he tells

his wife to boil some water and he dumps in the clot of blood, which turns into

a baby. Thru a ritual, the baby is an adult by the next day. He

gets rid of the evil SIL and then turns his attention to other repressed

creatures. It was a Blackfoot myth called Blood-Clot. I can't

remember it's Native American name, started with a K, Kutoyis I think.

Jo Cwazy

<heartwork wrote:

Jonnie

Jo

-

Jonnie

Hellens

Friday, August 19,

2005 5:06 PM

Re:

Heathens

Yeah, it was a very thought provoking class about world wide

religions. Some of the myths were just too far fetched for me to even

imagine. I guess that is what faith is.

Lynda <lurine

wrote:

Oh boy, want to start a real war, call it a book of

myths. Which, be definition it is. However, question them calling

the beliefs of others myths, oh, that's different. that's o.k.

That's the truth. Blah, blah, blah.

Lynda

-

Jonnie

Hellens

Thursday, August

18, 2005 4:27 PM

Re:

Heathens

I took a mythology class, based on Joseph Campbell's Hero of a Thousand

faces. He said that the major religions are really the

same thing, with the characters called by different names. He also said

that the religious stories were symbolic of things, not actual events, to help

us understand what can not be understood. (Them's fightin' words to many

people.)

fraggle

<EBbrewpunx wrote:

read that way

back in the 80's

tho..i was intrigued at the time with the concept of jesus not being

crucified and all that

and of course, it all

became a best seller last year with the Da Vinci book....

peter hurd

Aug 18, 2005 1:28 PM

ALLEDGEDLY.......................Read R.S. & The

holy Grail, I finished it this morning.Shit ending and realy just a time filler

rather than a life changer, but the historical stuff ( if acurate ) is

interesting. Now I need something else to read, Visited the library lunch time

to take thebook back and picked up a Tom Holt to read. Hope its

good.........any suggestions? nuthin too heavy for my retarded intellect!

The Valley Vegan..........

fraggle

<EBbrewpunx wrote:

yeah..they scaled down the backside..carrying off " the

treasures " ...

peter hurd

Aug 18, 2005 11:29 AM

Yes but what conviction, they marched down to the meadow of their own

choice, without putting up any sort of fight despite knowing what was waiting

for them..........incineration.

The holy grail nonsense stems from the story that a couple of them

climbed over the back wall scaling the cliffs carrying some " sacred holy

treasure " before they surrendered.

The Valley Vegan.............

fraggle

<EBbrewpunx wrote:

i think it was at montsegur where they were given a chance to

surrender, but they said " give us a couple days " , and then refused,

and in the meantime, all the knights who were there with em converted to

Catharism inside the castle and were then all killed with the regular

Cathars...man, thats gotta be some good PR they were sellin at the last minute

" excuse me Sir Rolf, we really appreciate you fighting fer us,

and, even tho it means yer death tomorrow, would you like to convert? "

a blinding flash hotter than the sun dead bodies lie across the path the radiation colors the air finishing one by one

Peter H

Messenger NEW -

crystal clear PC to PC calling

worldwide with voicemail

To

send an email to -

SPONSORED

LINKS

Vegan

vegetarian

Vegan

Vegetarian

!

GROUPS LINKS

Visit your group

" "

on the web.

To

from this group, send an email to:

-

Your use of

is subject to the

Terms of Service.

a blinding flash hotter than the sun dead bodies lie across the path the radiation colors the air finishing one by one

Peter H

Messenger NEW -

crystal clear PC to PC calling

worldwide with voicemail

To

send an email to -

!

GROUPS LINKS

Visit your group

" "

on the web.

To

-

Your use of

is subject to the

Terms of Service.

Jonnie

Version: 7.0.338 / Virus Database: 267.10.12/77 - Release 8/18/05

Version: 7.0.338 / Virus Database: 267.10.12/77 - Release 8/18/05

Jonnie

Start

your day with - make it your home page

Jonnie

Start your

day with - make it your home page

To

send an email to -

SPONSORED

LINKS

Vegan

vegetarian

Vegan

Vegetarian

!

GROUPS LINKS

Visit your group

" "

on the web.

To

-

Your use of

is subject to the

Terms of Service.

Jonnie