IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Heathens

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Actually, Christians (Protestant or Catholic) are not considered heathens since they fall into the catagory of those who believe in the Christian God. Heathens are those who do not believe in the Christian God.

Dragonspirithealer

Well, other than the Hoosier Heathens which are using the same definition as I am (from their site):

One who adheres to the religion of a people or nation that does not acknowledge the God of Christianity or Islam. Such persons considered as a group; the unconverted

Hope, I haven't heard of any organized religion that is called Heathen. My people are called heathens (lower case) because of the above definition, Catholics are called heathens, Pagens are called heathens, Wiccans are called heathens.

So where would one find information on a capital "H" group of heathens?

Or, hey, maybe it is the same as the word "nigger," use heathens get to use it anyway we want?

Lynda

Lynda <lurine wrote:

Jo, the word heathen came from the Christian folks. They came up with it. Until they started grouping folks under that umbrella, "heathens" called themselves what they were (Druid, Pagen, or had no name for their beliefs at all).

Lynda, hereditary "heathen" for over 10,000 years.

-

Jo Cwazy

Sunday, August 07, 2005 12:01 PM

Re: Blackstrap Molasses/Maple Syrup

A further comment. There are lots of Heathen gods. You have noted that the way Heathen is used in your description is one given to the word by Christians, not by the Heathens themselves.

Jo

Ah, Peter, it doesn't mean "a" religion, it means a lack of a specific religion -- "a person who does not acknowledge your God, one who is not Xtian."

Lynda

-

Peter

Sunday, August 07, 2005 1:20 AM

Re: Blackstrap Molasses/Maple Syrup

> Hey, he meant it in a bad way <g>

Not quite sure why that gets a grin... if he'd used the term "nigger" or "paki" in a derogatory way (as they were frequently in the 1950s), we'd all be outraged, so why is it alright to use a term denoting a religion rather than a race in such a way?

Peter

Guest guest

Well, you would not be correct. Catholics are not considered Christians. Nor are Jehovah Witnesses or Seventh Day Adventists or Christian Scientists or a horde of others.

In fact, if you want to Goggle it, you will find that a vast majority of the "Christian" websites clearly define Catholics as heathens. Just type in "Catholic heathen." Fundamentalist Christians and the Religious Right are adament about that.

And, you do realise that using your definition would make Jews Christians?

Catholics are considered heathens because of "idol" worshipping (Mary, statues, saints, medals) and the whole pagentry and incense thing. Oh, and because they "changed" the Bible. Their Bible is not the Christian Bible and the rules say it is a no no to change the Bible.

Lynda, who spent the majority of her childhood having Christianity pounded into her AND who won the big prize (spending the day with Billy Graham) by answering all the questions correctly on all the tests during a school year long Bible study course.

-

DragonSpiritHealer

Tuesday, August 16, 2005 6:14 AM

Re: Heathens

Actually, Christians (Protestant or Catholic) are not considered heathens since they fall into the catagory of those who believe in the Christian God. Heathens are those who do not believe in the Christian God.

Dragonspirithealer

Version: 7.0.338 / Virus Database: 267.10.10/73 - Release 8/15/05

Guest guest

as against Jesus on the cross I suppose.

Jo

Catholics are considered heathens because of "idol" worshipping (Mary, statues, saints, medals)

Guest guest

I disagree.

My family comes from the Dominican Republic and everyone I know in that VERY catholic country,

calls themselves Christians.

American christians will put anyone down who is not like them. They are the only ones that have "The Truth"

I live among these nazis. They are my neighbors.

I have my self through previous babysitters of mine been to many Seventh Day Adventist services. You go tell them that they are NOT christians and see what they reply. When I was little the word Jesus Christ was implanted in my brain every three minutes by the Seventh Day Adventists. They are also reponsible for me being vegetarian from birth.

As for Idols, I did pray to a baby Jesus when I was a little girl. But It isn't any different from someonekeeping the statue of Budhas, or the Many Gods of the Hindus or americans who believe in fairies or santa claus.

Christians wackos can say whatever they want about other religions, people, races and they do but It doesn't make it true.

-anouk

-

Lynda

8/17/2005 12:52:54 PM

Well, you would not be correct. Catholics are not considered Christians. Nor are Jehovah Witnesses or Seventh Day Adventists or Christian Scientists or a horde of others.

In fact, if you want to Goggle it, you will find that a vast majority of the "Christian" websites clearly define Catholics as heathens. Just type in "Catholic heathen." Fundamentalist Christians and the Religious Right are adament about that.

Catholics are considered heathens because of "idol" worshipping (Mary, statues, saints, medals) and the whole pagentry and incense thing. Oh, and because they "changed" the Bible. Their Bible is not the Christian Bible and the rules say it is a no no to change the Bible.

Lynda, who spent the majority of her childhood having Christianity pounded into her AND who won the big prize (spending the day with Billy Graham) by answering all the questions correctly on all the tests during a school year long Bible study course.

-

DragonSpiritHealer

Dragonspirithealer

Guest guest

Anouk,

interesting reply using Nazi and christian in the same response?

A lot of people consider being christian to being kind/nice etc, unfortunately the in some cases e.g. the history of the Roman Catholic church - shows this to not be the case ( e.g. what they did to the Cathars, absolving anyone going on crusades of any future sin? - sounds like Nazis more than christians. But still horses for courses eh? each to his own.

I belive in slugs and snails, I know they are real, for I have seen them!

Irreverantly yours

The Valley Vegan..........."zurumato" <zurumato wrote:

I disagree.

My family comes from the Dominican Republic and everyone I know in that VERY catholic country,

American christians will put anyone down who is not like them. They are the only ones that have "The Truth"

I have my self through previous babysitters of mine been to many Seventh Day Adventist services. You go tell them that they are NOT christians and see what they reply. When I was little the word Jesus Christ was implanted in my brain every three minutes by the Seventh Day Adventists. They are also reponsible for me being vegetarian from birth.

As for Idols, I did pray to a baby Jesus when I was a little girl. But It isn't any different from someonekeeping the statue of Budhas, or the Many Gods of the Hindus or americans who believe in fairies or santa claus.

Christians wackos can say whatever they want about other religions, people, races and they do but It doesn't make it true.

-anouk

-

Lynda

-

DragonSpiritHealer

Dragonspirithealer

Peter H

To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security Centre.

Guest guest

Dear Peter,

I did not know the History of this. Thank you for informing me of this, this sounds terrible.

I skip the class on the crusaders in High School.

If you knew the people that I live around, you'd probably call them something mean too. Let me just say, Bush won here!

-anouk

-

peter hurd

8/17/2005 4:38:40 PM

Anouk,

A lot of people consider being christian to being kind/nice etc, unfortunately the in some cases e.g. the history of the Roman Catholic church - shows this to not be the case ( e.g. what they did to the Cathars, absolving anyone going on crusades of any future sin? - sounds like Nazis more than christians. But still horses for courses eh? each to his own.

Irreverantly yours

I disagree.

-anouk

-

Lynda

-

DragonSpiritHealer

Dragonspirithealer

Peter H

To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security Centre.

Guest guest

When I was young my brother started school and because he did not go to church the headmistress decided he should be called 'heathen' instead of his own name. Lovely Christian lady.

Of course, that Christian lady taught me to lie - I just said I went to church to keep her happy - and was afforded the courtesy of being called my own first name.

At least the vegetarian bit with the SEventh Day Adventists is good.

Jo

>>. When I was little the word Jesus Christ was implanted in my brain every three minutes by the Seventh Day Adventists. They are also reponsible for me being vegetarian from birth.

-anouk

-

Lynda

-

DragonSpiritHealer

Dragonspirithealer

Guest guest

Anouk,

You need not apologise for Bush, just take a look at Tony Blairs evil eyes!

Interesting (but sad) reading the Cathars and thei genocide, if you want take a look at the following:

http://gnosistraditions.faithweb.com/mont.html

The Valley Vegan............"zurumato" <zurumato wrote:

Dear Peter,

I did not know the History of this. Thank you for informing me of this, this sounds terrible.

I skip the class on the crusaders in High School.

If you knew the people that I live around, you'd probably call them something mean too. Let me just say, Bush won here!

-anouk

-

peter hurd

8/17/2005 4:38:40 PM

Anouk,

Irreverantly yours

I disagree.

-anouk

-

Lynda

-

DragonSpiritHealer

Dragonspirithealer

Peter H

To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security Centre. Peter H

Messenger NEW - crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with voicemail

Guest guest

and they are linked with the holy grail.....

i think it was at montsegur where they were given a chance to surrender, but they said "give us a couple days", and then refused, and in the meantime, all the knights who were there with em converted to Catharism inside the castle and were then all killed with the regular Cathars...man, thats gotta be some good PR they were sellin at the last minute

"excuse me Sir Rolf, we really appreciate you fighting fer us, and, even tho it means yer death tomorrow, would you like to convert?"

a blinding flash hotter than the sun dead bodies lie across the path the radiation colors the air

finishing one by one

Guest guest

Yes but what conviction, they marched down to the meadow of their own choice, without putting up any sort of fight despite knowing what was waiting for them..........incineration.

The holy grail nonsense stems from the story that a couple of them climbed over the back wall scaling the cliffs carrying some"sacred holy treasure" before they surrendered.

Load of twaddle, but interesting twaddle nevertheless!

The Valley Vegan.............fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

i think it was at montsegur where they were given a chance to surrender, but they said "give us a couple days", and then refused, and in the meantime, all the knights who were there with em converted to Catharism inside the castle and were then all killed with the regular Cathars...man, thats gotta be some good PR they were sellin at the last minute

"excuse me Sir Rolf, we really appreciate you fighting fer us, and, even tho it means yer death tomorrow, would you like to convert?"

a blinding flash hotter than the sun dead bodies lie across the path the radiation colors the air

finishing one by one Peter H

Messenger NEW - crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with voicemail

Guest guest

yeah..they scaled down the backside..carrying off "the treasures"... peter hurd Aug 18, 2005 11:29 AM Re: Heathens

Yes but what conviction, they marched down to the meadow of their own choice, without putting up any sort of fight despite knowing what was waiting for them..........incineration.

The holy grail nonsense stems from the story that a couple of them climbed over the back wall scaling the cliffs carrying some"sacred holy treasure" before they surrendered.

"excuse me Sir Rolf, we really appreciate you fighting fer us, and, even tho it means yer death tomorrow, would you like to convert?"a blinding flash hotter than the sun dead bodies lie across the path the radiation colors the air

finishing one by one

Peter H

Messenger NEW - crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with voicemail To send an email to -

Guest guest

ALLEDGEDLY.......................Read R.S. & The holy Grail, I finished it this morning.Shit ending and realy just a time filler rather than a life changer, but the historical stuff ( if acurate ) is interesting. Now I need something else to read, Visited the library lunch time to take thebook back and picked up a Tom Holt to read. Hope its good.........any suggestions? nuthin too heavy for my retarded intellect!

The Valley Vegan..........fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

yeah..they scaled down the backside..carrying off "the treasures"... peter hurd Aug 18, 2005 11:29 AM Re: Heathens

"excuse me Sir Rolf, we really appreciate you fighting fer us, and, even tho it means yer death tomorrow, would you like to convert?"a blinding flash hotter than the sun dead bodies lie across the path the radiation colors the air

finishing one by one

Peter H

Messenger NEW - crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with voicemail To send an email to -

Guest guest

read that way back in the 80's

well..nuthin in it can be proven really..lotsa theories and such..

tho..i was intrigued at the time with the concept of jesus not being crucified and all that

and of course, it all became a best seller last year with the Da Vinci book.... peter hurd Aug 18, 2005 1:28 PM Re: Heathens

ALLEDGEDLY.......................Read R.S. & The holy Grail, I finished it this morning.Shit ending and realy just a time filler rather than a life changer, but the historical stuff ( if acurate ) is interesting. Now I need something else to read, Visited the library lunch time to take thebook back and picked up a Tom Holt to read. Hope its good.........any suggestions? nuthin too heavy for my retarded intellect!

finishing one by one

Peter H

Guest guest

i think i need something a little light myself

waiting for the second to last(finally) Wheel of time book to come out..better be better then the last 2 er 3..which were pretty squallid..and waiting for George R R Martins book to come out as well..both aren't due tho til september er october

just finished reading Villa and Zapata

one down..6 million to go...rom: peter hurd Aug 18, 2005 1:28 PM Re: Heathens

finishing one by one

Peter H

Guest guest

Speaking of all the good Christians, we just got spammed on another list with a link to The Word Game. I guess because we all weren't Xtian enough. When told to stop spamming, this person started telling us about history and it brought home just how scary some of these folks are and just how far they go to reinvent history.

Just a couple of the way out there comments included that there were 25,000 black Christians when the Spaniards arrived in Mexico and that they killed them. That the "indigenous population of America prefers are drugs, paid for sex, casino, lottery and racetrack [non of which are conducive to God]!" And, yes, that is a direct quote.

That the reason there are so many Muslims in Africa is because all those folks were "black Christians" and were given the choice of converting to Islam or becoming slaves. Hmmmmm, guess we conveniently forgot all those folks who ended up in Europe and North America. And all this time I thought it was mainly the Dutch who were rounding them all up and transporting them into slavery.

And, there were 30,000,000 blacks in the Aztecs.

Oh, and the real topper. FDR, Stalin and Hitler all died within days of each other because observed the Russian Orthodox church and turned it into the Kremlin.

Don't ask, I haven't a clue where the heck these people get this stuff. These people scare the beejeebers out of me and the White House resident is one of them!

Lynda

-

fraggle

Thursday, August 18, 2005 1:36 PM

tho..i was intrigued at the time with the concept of jesus not being crucified and all that

and of course, it all became a best seller last year with the Da Vinci book.... peter hurd Aug 18, 2005 1:28 PM Re: Heathens

finishing one by one

Peter H

Guest guest

so, exactly why would the spanish conquistadors kill this mythical race of africans(assuming thats where they came from) ..in mexico..when they were apparantly already x-tian

and....shouldn't they have been handing out copies of the watch tower to denizens of Tenochtitlan? Lynda Aug 18, 2005 2:29 PM Re: Heathens

Speaking of all the good Christians, we just got spammed on another list with a link to The Word Game. I guess because we all weren't Xtian enough. When told to stop spamming, this person started telling us about history and it brought home just how scary some of these folks are and just how far they go to reinvent history.

Just a couple of the way out there comments included that there were 25,000 black Christians when the Spaniards arrived in Mexico and that they killed them. That the "indigenous population of America prefers are drugs, paid for sex, casino, lottery and racetrack [non of which are conducive to God]!" And, yes, that is a direct quote.

That the reason there are so many Muslims in Africa is because all those folks were "black Christians" and were given the choice of converting to Islam or becoming slaves. Hmmmmm, guess we conveniently forgot all those folks who ended up in Europe and North America. And all this time I thought it was mainly the Dutch who were rounding them all up and transporting them into slavery.

Oh, and the real topper. FDR, Stalin and Hitler all died within days of each other because observed the Russian Orthodox church and turned it into the Kremlin.

Don't ask, I haven't a clue where the heck these people get this stuff. These people scare the beejeebers out of me and the White House resident is one of them!

Lynda

-

fraggle

finishing one by one

Peter H

Guest guest

I took a mythology class, based on Joseph Campbell's Hero of a Thousand faces. He said that the major religions are really the same thing, with the characters called by different names. He also said that the religious stories were symbolic of things, not actual events, to help us understand what can not be understood. (Them's fightin' words to many people.) fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

finishing one by one

Peter H

Guest guest

Maybe they went to the same school I did. U know, if you don't know what it is, make it up?

Speaking of which... I saw an episode of Darma & Gregg where where she found out all the history her dad taught her while homeschooling was rubbish.Lynda <lurine wrote:

Lynda

-

fraggle

finishing one by one

Peter H

Guest guest

Hey, I didn't say this person made any sense <g>

They also claimed that when the Spaniards first arrived that they had conversations with some of the leaders and one claimed to be a Christian. Ah, hello. Exactly what language did they use to ask these questions?

Lynda

-

fraggle

Thursday, August 18, 2005 3:14 PM

so, exactly why would the spanish conquistadors kill this mythical race of africans(assuming thats where they came from) ..in mexico..when they were apparantly already x-tian

and....shouldn't they have been handing out copies of the watch tower to denizens of Tenochtitlan? Lynda Aug 18, 2005 2:29 PM Re: Heathens

Lynda

-

fraggle

finishing one by one

Peter H

Guest guest

Oh boy, want to start a real war, call it a book of myths. Which, be definition it is. However, question them calling the beliefs of others myths, oh, that's different. that's o.k. That's the truth. Blah, blah, blah.

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Thursday, August 18, 2005 4:27 PM

I took a mythology class, based on Joseph Campbell's Hero of a Thousand faces. He said that the major religions are really the same thing, with the characters called by different names. He also said that the religious stories were symbolic of things, not actual events, to help us understand what can not be understood. (Them's fightin' words to many people.) fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

finishing one by one

Peter H

Guest guest

Yeah, it was a very thought provoking class about world wide religions. Some of the myths were just too far fetched for me to even imagine. I guess that is what faith is.

Lynda <lurine wrote:

Oh boy, want to start a real war, call it a book of myths. Which, be definition it is. However, question them calling the beliefs of others myths, oh, that's different. that's o.k. That's the truth. Blah, blah, blah.

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

finishing one by one

Peter H

Guest guest

Jonnie

Which ones did you think were far-fetched?

Jo

-

Jonnie Hellens

Friday, August 19, 2005 5:06 PM

Yeah, it was a very thought provoking class about world wide religions. Some of the myths were just too far fetched for me to even imagine. I guess that is what faith is.

Lynda <lurine wrote:

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

finishing one by one

Peter H

Guest guest

Ugh, I miss my mind... Let's see I can remember any.

There was one in which an old couple gives their daughter to this young chap, he then takes over the place, forcing them to move into a small hut and hardly giving them any food. The SIL goes hunting each day, taking the old man with him to drive the animals thru a gap. The SIL is a good shot, but only wounds a buffalo and somehow he ends up with a clot of blood from the buffalo, hides it and takes it home. At home he tells his wife to boil some water and he dumps in the clot of blood, which turns into a baby. Thru a ritual, the baby is an adult by the next day. He gets rid of the evil SIL and then turns his attention to other repressed creatures. It was a Blackfoot myth called Blood-Clot. I can't remember it's Native American name, started with a K, Kutoyis I think.Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

Jonnie

Jo

-

Jonnie Hellens

Lynda <lurine wrote:

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

finishing one by one

Peter H

Guest guest

I've never heard that one. There are so many stories/myths around. It is interesting though.

Jo

-

Jonnie Hellens

Friday, August 19, 2005 6:47 PM

There was one in which an old couple gives their daughter to this young chap, he then takes over the place, forcing them to move into a small hut and hardly giving them any food. The SIL goes hunting each day, taking the old man with him to drive the animals thru a gap. The SIL is a good shot, but only wounds a buffalo and somehow he ends up with a clot of blood from the buffalo, hides it and takes it home. At home he tells his wife to boil some water and he dumps in the clot of blood, which turns into a baby. Thru a ritual, the baby is an adult by the next day. He gets rid of the evil SIL and then turns his attention to other repressed creatures. It was a Blackfoot myth called Blood-Clot. I can't remember it's Native American name, started with a K, Kutoyis I think.Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

Jonnie

Jo

-

Jonnie Hellens

Lynda <lurine wrote:

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

finishing one by one

Peter H

Guest guest

yeah..i'm so glad we gave all that up and worship a carpenter who's been dead fer 2000 years, and we eat a cracker and call it his body.....

Jonnie Hellens Aug 19, 2005 10:47 AM Re: Heathens

Jonnie

Jo

-

Jonnie Hellens

Lynda <lurine wrote:

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

finishing one by one

Peter H