IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Hi Everyone!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Marla,I have had both a Vita-Mix and a Blendtec. We had the Vitamix first. A piece on the motor assembly broke after 15 years. It only occurred to me after I threw the base away that we could have sent it back to be fixed by Vitamix. We bought a Blendtec then instead. You can't go wrong with either one. The main difference in them is the blade shape. Because of its design, the Blendtec doesn't require a plunder. I like that feature about it. And something about its design blends ingredients without heating them up as much as the Vitamix does. I recall we had to add ice to our smoothies with the Vitamix. Both factors about it that I like. The Blendtec has preprogrammed settings plus a pulse setting. You can also customize the settings. Another feature I like. To answer your question about

single servings, as long as you have at least one cup of ingredients in the container, you can blend with the Blendtec. I imagine it is the same with a Vitamix. I still have a Vita-Mix book so looked it up. I see that the recipes do require at least one cup of ingredients too. Looks like you'd be good to go with either blender. I have a food processor too. Never tried to make a smoothie in it though. So can't tell you which I prefer. I'd imagine that the blenders give a smoother product though. Hope something I've shared with you helps in your decision. Martha Marla

<marlak Sent: Wed, March 3, 2010 8:55:06 AM Hi Everyone!

I have been obsessing over whether to buy a food processor, Vitamix or Blendtec. The food processor I was using for my smoothies gave out. I use frozen pineapple/mango in my smoothies and a blender doesn't work at all. I know there are a lot of Vitamix fans on here, but I was wondering if anybody had looked into the Blendtec. Also, is it too big to make a one person smoothie? I made a green smoothie for breakfast every morning (going thru withdrawls now) and want it to be easy too. Thats why I was considering buying a small food processor. Any advice from the group?

Guest guest

FYI -  Just looked at the websites of both Blendtec and Vitamix.   Important:  Vitamix containers have NO BPA  (this is good!).   Blendtecprovides several quite out-o-date papers defending BPA  -  in other words they are still using polycarbonate which is made with BPA.

There is no question that if I were purchasing a " super blender " ,   that I would avoid the one with BPA   and I would (and plan to) get the Vitamix.            Martha Williams

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 11:32 AM, Martha <mnatural22 wrote:

Hi Marla,I have had both a Vita-Mix and a Blendtec. We had the Vitamix first. A piece on the motor assembly broke after 15 years. It only occurred to me after I threw the base away that we could have sent it back to be fixed by Vitamix. We bought a Blendtec then instead. You can't go wrong with either one. The main difference in them is the blade shape. Because of its design, the Blendtec doesn't require a plunder. I like that feature about it. And something about its design blends ingredients without heating them up as much as the Vitamix does. I recall we had to add ice to our smoothies with the Vitamix. Both factors about it that I like. The Blendtec has preprogrammed settings plus a pulse setting. You can also customize the settings. A    nother feature I like.

To answer your question about

single servings, as long as you have at least one cup of ingredients in the container, you can blend with the Blendtec. I imagine it is the same with a Vitamix. I still have a Vita-Mix book so looked it up. I see that the recipes do require at least one cup of ingredients too. Looks like you'd be good to go with either blender.

I have a food processor too. Never tried to make a smoothie in it though. So can't tell you which I prefer. I'd imagine that the blenders give a smoother product though. Hope something I've shared with you helps in your decision.

Martha

Marla

<marlak

Wed, March 3, 2010 8:55:06 AM Hi Everyone!

I have been obsessing over whether to buy a food processor, Vitamix or Blendtec. The food processor I was using for my smoothies gave out. I use frozen pineapple/mango in my smoothies and a blender doesn't work at all. I know there are a lot of Vitamix fans on here, but I was wondering if anybody had looked into the Blendtec. Also, is it too big to make a one person smoothie? I made a green smoothie for breakfast every morning (going thru withdrawls now) and want it to be easy too. Thats why I was considering buying a small food processor. Any advice from the group?

Guest guest

Hi Marla,If you make a green smoothie everyday, then go for the vitamix or other BPA free blender. I have a vitamix and a large food processor. The food processor is versatile for many other tasks like chopping, shredding, dough mixing and many other things depending on what attachments you get. So if you plan to do a lot more home prepped stuff other than smoothies (like hummus and salsa) and you had to only choose one, then maybe the food processor would be better. Hope this helps.VictoriaMarla <marlak Sent: Wed, March 3, 2010 5:55:06 AM Hi Everyone!

Guest guest

Thanks so much for your help! Are you all not using your Vitamix or Blendtec

for hummus, salsa, etc? What do you use it for the most?

Marla

Guest guest

I use my food processor for making hummus, salsa and chopping veggies, etc. I use the blender for more liquid recipes like smoothies, soups and homemade nut and grain milks. MarthaMarla <marlak Sent: Wed, March 3, 2010 1:37:17 PMSubject:

Re: Hi Everyone!

Thanks so much for your help! Are you all not using your Vitamix or Blendtec for hummus, salsa, etc? What do you use it for the most?

Marla

Guest guest

Marla, I use my Vitamix for hummus.  Before I got it, I always made hummus in the food processor, but I really like the smoothness of hummus made in the Vitamix.  An added plus is that you can make it from whole sesame seeds instead of tahini.

I use it most for hummus, soups, and sauces.  In the summer, I use it more for smoothies and frozen desserts than in the winter.Susan-------------------------

Susan Voisinhttp://fatfreevegan.comhttp://blog.fatfreevegan.comhttp://www.facebook.com/FatFreeVegan

--------------------------

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 12:37 PM, Marla <marlak wrote:

Thanks so much for your help! Are you all not using your Vitamix or Blendtec for hummus, salsa, etc? What do you use it for the most?

Marla

Guest guest

Oh wow, Susan. You have my curiosity up now. I'm going to have to try making hummus in a blender. Of note, my food processor has a second blade that sits on top of the first one so I may already be getting a smoother hummus as a result. But I'm surely going to test it out!MarthaSusan Voisin <ffvkitchen Sent:

Wed, March 3, 2010 2:01:33 PMRe: Re: Hi Everyone!

Marla, I use my Vitamix for hummus. Before I got it, I always made hummus in the food processor, but I really like the smoothness of hummus made in the Vitamix. An added plus is that you can make it from whole sesame seeds instead of tahini.

I use it most for hummus, soups, and sauces. In the summer, I use it more for smoothies and frozen desserts than in the winter.Susan------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- -

Susan Voisinhttp://fatfreevegan.comhttp://blog. fatfreevegan. comhttp://www.facebook.com/FatFreeVegan

------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 12:37 PM, Marla <marlak (AT) eastman (DOT) com> wrote:

Marla

Guest guest

Martha, there's a recipe in the Vitamix book, which I feel like I've posted before, though it could have been as a comment on my site.  In case I haven't posted it, it goes like this:2 cans organic unsalted chickpeas, one drained, one not

2 cloves peeled garlicjuice of 1/2 lemon (or more to taste)1/4 cup sesame seeds (or 2 tablespoons tahini)spices to taste (cumin, smoked paprika, salt, cayenne, etc.)Put the ingredients into the blender in the order given, being sure to leave 1 can of chickpeas undrained.  Begin at low speed and quickly turn up to highest speed, using tamper if needed to break up air bubbles.  Blend until smooth.

Susan-------------------------Susan Voisinhttp://fatfreevegan.comhttp://blog.fatfreevegan.com

http://www.facebook.com/FatFreeVegan--------------------------

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 2:38 PM, Martha <mnatural22 wrote:

Oh wow, Susan. You have my curiosity up now. I'm going to have to try making hummus in a blender. Of note, my food processor has a second blade that sits on top of the first one so I may already be getting a smoother hummus as a result. But I'm surely going to test it out!

Martha

Guest guest

I have a Vita-Mix. One day I saw Blendtec demo'd at Costco, and I found myself wishing I had a Blendtec instead. I really like how it sucked food down into the blades without having to tamp food down, and I also like the timer feature.

Dena

-

Marla

Wednesday, March 03, 2010 6:55 AM

Hi Everyone!

Checked by AVG - www.avg.com Version: 9.0.733 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/2719 - Release 03/02/10 12:34:00

Checked by AVG - www.avg.com

Version: 9.0.733 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/2719 - Release 03/02/10

12:34:00

Guest guest

Blending soups.

Dena

-

Marla

Wednesday, March 03, 2010 11:37 AM

Re: Hi Everyone!

Thanks so much for your help! Are you all not using your Vitamix or Blendtec for hummus, salsa, etc? What do you use it for the most?Marla

Checked by AVG - www.avg.com Version: 9.0.733 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/2719 - Release 03/02/10 12:34:00

Version: 9.0.733 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/2719 - Release 03/02/10

12:34:00

Guest guest

How do you make hummus in the vitamix? Is there a recipe?

Sarah

-

Susan Voisin

Wednesday, March 03, 2010 11:01 AM

Re: Re: Hi Everyone!

Marla, I use my Vitamix for hummus. Before I got it, I always made hummus in the food processor, but I really like the smoothness of hummus made in the Vitamix. An added plus is that you can make it from whole sesame seeds instead of tahini.I use it most for hummus, soups, and sauces. In the summer, I use it more for smoothies and frozen desserts than in the winter.Susan

Version: 8.5.435 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/2720 - Release 03/03/10

07:34:00

Guest guest

Thanks, Susan. That's identical to the recipe I make in my food processor except for using the whole sesame seeds. I really do like the idea of starting out with whole sesame seeds instead of tahini. Don't think they would be ground up fully in a food processor. MarthaSusan Voisin <ffvkitchenTo:

Sent: Wed, March 3, 2010 3:53:23 PMRe: Re: Hi Everyone!

Martha, there's a recipe in the Vitamix book, which I feel like I've posted before, though it could have been as a comment on my site. In case I haven't posted it, it goes like this:2 cans organic unsalted chickpeas, one drained, one not

2 cloves peeled garlicjuice of 1/2 lemon (or more to taste)1/4 cup sesame seeds (or 2 tablespoons tahini)spices to taste (cumin, smoked paprika, salt, cayenne, etc.)Put the ingredients into the blender in the order given, being sure to leave 1 can of chickpeas undrained. Begin at low speed and quickly turn up to highest speed, using tamper if needed to break up air bubbles. Blend until smooth.

Susan------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- -Susan Voisinhttp://fatfreevegan.comhttp://blog. fatfreevegan. com

http://www.facebook.com/FatFreeVegan------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 2:38 PM, Martha <mnatural22 > wrote:

Oh wow, Susan. You have my curiosity up now. I'm going to have to try making hummus in a blender. Of note, my food processor has a second blade that sits on top of the first one so I may already be getting a smoother hummus as a result. But I'm surely going to test it out!

Martha

Guest guest

HI Susan,

Thanks for posting the hummus

recipe from the vitamix book (will have to pull my book out now to see what

other gems are in it). How much water do you suggest we ad if we are

using beans from scratch (or rather cooking water from the beans?). Perhaps

another way of asking is how much liquid is in a can of beans? Since

discovering heirloom beans at ranchogordo.com, I can't bring myself to make any

other kind of beans, they are that good. :) (And I don't work for them,

etc, am just a very satisfied customer). With a pressure cooker and their

fresh beans, I can cook garbanzos (pre-soaked) in under 20 min.

Would love the creaminess of the vitamix, as my little guy still prefers the

store bought hummus to mommy's hummus and I think it's a texture thing. I

prefer to go without the added oil, so I'm intrigued by the idea of using the

vitamix instead.

~Audrey

Guest guest

Audrey, I knew someone was going to ask me that!  The next time I make it, I'll measure the liquid in a can of chickpeas and let you know.  Right now, I still have some hummus in the fridge that I made a couple of days ago and need to use up.

Susan-------------------------Susan Voisinhttp://fatfreevegan.comhttp://blog.fatfreevegan.com

http://www.facebook.com/FatFreeVegan--------------------------

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 7:54 AM, Audrey G. Quick <audrey wrote:

HI Susan,

Thanks for posting the hummus

recipe from the vitamix book (will have to pull my book out now to see what

other gems are in it).  How much water do you suggest we ad if we are

using beans from scratch (or rather cooking water from the beans?).  Perhaps

another way of asking is how much liquid is in a can of beans?  Since

discovering heirloom beans at ranchogordo.com, I can't bring myself to make any

other kind of beans, they are that good. :)  (And I don't work for them,

etc, am just a very satisfied customer).  With a pressure cooker and their

fresh beans, I can cook garbanzos  (pre-soaked) in under 20 min. 

Would love the creaminess of the vitamix, as my little guy still prefers the

store bought hummus to mommy's hummus and I think it's a texture thing.  I

prefer to go without the added oil, so I'm intrigued by the idea of using the

vitamix instead.

~Audrey