Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Cats debate via other thoughts

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I thought we had got shot of you

Viv's friends are obviously not vegan or they would not support nasty

pet

predators and they deserve a good KICKING.

(Note the spelling.)

(That is my little joke for Viv who is a fat tart with fifteen chins.)

xx

Edith

---

Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).

Version: 6.0.449 / Virus Database: 251 - Release 27/01/2003

Guest guest

if you call someone mad you are saying that you are incapable (through lack of interest/time/education) of understanding the beautiful and individual way in which that other person's mind works... and sometimes that incapacity to understand is understandable when there is in fact a large amount of delusion in the other person's mind that prevents them in the first place from communicating how or what they are thinking....

i believe Angie is talking about the former... Simon the latter...

i don't mind being told off...

Angie Wright [angiewright]

I think we are all a bit mad . We have to be to remain on here for so long . mad or sad anyway !

Lesley Dove [Lesley]

I'm not telling you off this time, it's fine to point out a contradiction, but I didn't think much of you calling him mad.

Guest guest

-

Oliver Slay

Friday, April 04, 2003 9:53 AM

RE: Cats debate via other thoughts

i believe Angie is talking about the former... Simon the latter...>

I wasn't talking about anyone being mad/not-sane.

Are you saying I'm mad because I think animals could live on plant based foods or because I'm saying they should.

I'm only thinking ahead, pointing out how things will most likely turn out given we or some other intervention doesn't destroy us or the planet first.

Am I thinking too far ahead for you?

Simon

---Original Message-----Angie Wright [angiewright]

Guest guest

To think that nature would evolve in such a way that the food chain would no longer be a food chain

To think that nature would evolve in such a way that fits into your own special ideal lifestyle

a minority view

To think that nature cares at all about humans and animals

when it kills them every day

when it makes their life a misery

when it makes them sick

To think that nature should become something when nature would have no qualms about killing you

in a landslide

in a strike of lightning

in a flash flood

in a forest fire

in a hurricane

in a tornado

in an earthquake

in a bacterial poisoning

E. Coli

E. Coli

E. Coli

To think that there is any such thing as control in the first place

no control over the future

no control over our death

no control n n n no o o o oon n n n cnc nnccnoOCoOOotntnrntrttrrooortoortorotrotrorrollllllllll

To think that pondering on what might happen in the future is going to have any effect on the way things will be

action speaks louder than words

To think that endless repetition is going to endear others to your cause

round and round in circles

not going anywhere

back where we started

getting dizzy

gotta stop or i'll fall off

simonpjones [simonpjones]

Are you saying I'm mad because I think animals could live on plant based foods or because I'm saying they should.

I'm only thinking ahead, pointing out how things will most likely turn out given we or some other intervention doesn't destroy us or the planet first.

Simon

Guest guest

In other words, yes Simon, you are thinking too far ahead, even for most other vegans. I only think vegan lions, tigers, etc, can happen through humans already having become compassionate vegans and taking control of nature, and really that is such a big job, and probably impossible, even if it is the right thing to do because it would reduce the killing and suffering. I do agree with Oliver that such evolution is unlikely to happen in the animal kingdom, because of the points he has made here, and what you hope for is unlikely to happen or at any rate it is a very long way off. I DO empathise with you Simon as I too very much like the idea of such a utopia and there is nothing wrong with you working towards it. I don't understand why there is so much disrespect for you from some on this group, really I don't. But I do think it is the right thing for us to do, to make other animals vegan if we can, I just don't think we can do it all, and we have to pick our battles and try to get humans to change first.

There are polite and impolite ways of disagreeing and I always (well nearly always) feel Oliver is putting you down, but anyway you are in good (?) company as he always put me down for my anti-smoking feelings and the way I get ill from tobacco smoke.

I think some vegans like to put others down, even their fellow vegans unfortunately, for very little reason sometimes, and it is not helpful usually. I only make an exception if the other vegan is doing something seriously harmful like being a smoking parent.

Lesley

Oliver Slay [oliver]04 April 2003 10:58 Subject: RE: Cats debate via other thoughts

To think that nature would evolve in such a way that the food chain would no longer be a food chain

To think that nature would evolve in such a way that fits into your own special ideal lifestyle

a minority view

when it makes them sick

To think that nature should become something when nature would have no qualms about killing you

in a landslide

in a strike of lightning

in a flash flood

in a forest fire

in a hurricane

in a tornado

in an earthquake

in a bacterial poisoning

E. Coli

E. Coli

E. Coli

no control n n n no o o o oon n n n cnc nnccnoOCoOOotntnrntrttrrooortoortorotrotrorrollllllllll

To think that pondering on what might happen in the future is going to have any effect on the way things will be

not going anywhere

back where we started

getting dizzy

Simon~~ info ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Please remember that the above is only the opinion of the author, there may be another side to the story you have not heard.---------------------------Was this message Off Topic? Did you know? Was it snipped?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Guidelines: visit <site temporarily offline>Un: send a blank message to -

Guest guest

you are not right Lesley

I have not ALWAYS put you down for your anti-smoking feelings....

i completely admire your firmly held convictions and that no matter what you will never let go of them or maybe they will never let go of you ... whether or not i agree with some of your reported behaviour that arises out of your beliefs is a different matter...

it's not black and white ... i don't dislike anything that much ... except absurdity ... and i don't mind that too much either...

i understand fully your reasons for disliking smoke and smoking and appreciate that when you are around smokers need to be more cautious if not heeding complete abstension for your own health-related reasons.

however i don't see any problem with the occasional flippant aside .... especially if it causes people to laugh and spill beer all over their keyboards...

perhaps no one can see the link between forcing animals to do what we want them to do ... and the war in Iraq ... ? the total f...g arrogance of human beings in this day and age (but not limited to now any more than in the whole of imperialist american and british history) ... whether it be with veganism or military might... it's the same arrogance ... and we're a part of their arrogance when we practice our own ... just as much as we're a part of their violence when we practice violence in our own small unnoticeable ways ... brushing someone off as mad ...

"he kicked the wall ... and in that single kick there was the full potential of war... and a thousand innocent people die..."

Lesley Dove [Lesley]

There are polite and impolite ways of disagreeing and I always (well nearly always) feel Oliver is putting you down, but anyway you are in good (?) company as he always put me down for my anti-smoking feelings and the way I get ill from tobacco smoke.

I think some vegans like to put others down, even their fellow vegans unfortunately, for very little reason sometimes, and it is not helpful usually. I only make an exception if the other vegan is doing something seriously harmful like being a smoking parent.

Lesley

Guest guest

but should we really be taking control of nature? or forcing it to do what

we want? as i've said before (i know it's a guideline of the list not to

keep on repeating yourself, but...) that idea implies that humans are the

most important/best/superior species, who 'deserve' to/rightly have power

over every other species. and personally, I cannot see why my life is

necessarily more important than an ant's or a vole's or a hippo's or

whatever.

Cath

> " Lesley Dove " <Lesley

>

>

>RE: Cats debate via other thoughts

>Fri, 4 Apr 2003 11:26:30 +0100

>

>I only think vegan lions, tigers, etc, can happen through

>humans already having become compassionate vegans and taking control of

>nature, and really that is such a big job, and probably impossible, even if

>it is the right thing to do because it would reduce the killing and

>suffering.

Guest guest

On Fri, 04 Apr 2003 11:18:51 +0000, " Catherine Pritchard "

<abergirl82 wrote:

>but should we really be taking control of nature? or forcing it to do what

>we want? as i've said before (i know it's a guideline of the list not to

>keep on repeating yourself, but...) that idea implies that humans are the

>most important/best/superior species, who 'deserve' to/rightly have power

>over every other species. and personally, I cannot see why my life is

>necessarily more important than an ant's or a vole's or a hippo's or

>whatever.

On top of that, if nothing preyed on anything else, the planet would

quickly become overrun by the species that are rather good at

procreating (much better even than mankind!). Full control would have to

be exercised by humans over that and, as such, actually goes against

some of the core tenets of the animal rights movement.

Chris W

Guest guest

if nature evolved that way then it would probably end up with lots of plants that eat each other and a few species of animals remaining on the earth ... plants would become 'intelligent' in ways we might not be able to imagine ... all the species of animals would probably be indigestible by other animals as a mechanism to prevent their digestion by other animals... humans would not be able to live in the climate... it would have to be hotter... possibly even post-apocalyptic...

Chris W [chrisw] On top of that, if nothing preyed on anything else, the planet wouldquickly become overrun by the species that are rather good atprocreating (much better even than mankind!). Full control would have tobe exercised by humans over that and, as such, actually goes againstsome of the core tenets of the animal rights movement.Chris W

Guest guest

-

Lesley Dove

Friday, April 04, 2003 11:26 AM

I only think vegan lions, tigers, etc, can happen through humans already having become compassionate vegans and taking control of nature, and really that is such a big job,>

Ideally there wouldn't be any human intervention.But If we are saying that animals have the same rights as we have, then we must have at least an obligation to encougage animals as we do humans of the beneifits of a vegan diet, they would most likely live longer and happier lives.

I don't think it would be as difficult as it first appears to be, given the amount of animals humans already feed.

I'm sure there's no-where as near the amount of meat-eating animals (at least the larger ones) in this world as the amount of animals that humans feed already.

I agree with your stance on smoking the sooner it is banned altogether the better.

Simon

and probably impossible, even if it is the right thing to do because it would reduce the killing and suffering. I do agree with Oliver that such evolution is unlikely to happen in the animal kingdom, because of the points he has made here, and what you hope for is unlikely to happen or at any rate it is a very long way off. I DO empathise with you Simon as I too very much like the idea of such a utopia and there is nothing wrong with you working towards it. I don't understand why there is so much disrespect for you from some on this group, really I don't. But I do think it is the right thing for us to do, to make other animals vegan if we can, I just don't think we can do it all, and we have to pick our battles and try to get humans to change first.

Lesley

Oliver Slay [oliver]04 April 2003 10:58 Subject: RE: Cats debate via other thoughts

a minority view

when it makes them sick

in a landslide

in a strike of lightning

in a flash flood

in a forest fire

in a hurricane

in a tornado

in an earthquake

in a bacterial poisoning

E. Coli

E. Coli

E. Coli

not going anywhere

back where we started

getting dizzy

Simon~~ info ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Please remember that the above is only the opinion of the author, there may be another side to the story you have not heard.---------------------------Was this message Off Topic? Did you know? Was it snipped?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Guidelines: visit <site temporarily offline>Un: send a blank message to -

Guest guest

-

" Catherine Pritchard " <abergirl82

Friday, April 04, 2003 12:18 PM

>

>

>

>

>

> but should we really be taking control of nature? or forcing it to do

what we want?>

I don't think we should force things on nature as nature would soon put us

in our place.

I think nature allows a way to live where at least living creatures can

live without killing one another.

I think it has been proved to some extent with some dogs and cats right now.

All we have to do is realize that there is not a great deal of difference

between animals in general.

Simon

..com/_bBUKB/vYxFAA/i5gGAA/PVjolB/TM

> ---~->

>

> ~~ info ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> Please remember that the above is only the opinion of the author,

> there may be another side to the story you have not heard.

> ---------------------------

> Was this message Off Topic? Did you know? Was it snipped?

> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> Guidelines: visit <site temporarily offline>

> Un: send a blank message to -

>

>

Guest guest

-

" Chris W " <chrisw

Friday, April 04, 2003 12:37 PM

Re: Cats debate via other thoughts

> On Fri, 04 Apr 2003 11:18:51 +0000, " Catherine Pritchard "

> <abergirl82 wrote:

>

> On top of that, if nothing preyed on anything else, the planet would

> quickly become overrun by the species that are rather good at

> procreating .>

Maybe not, because maybe the grazing animals wouldn't procreate so much if

they knew they were safe from any attack by another animal. They might

prefer to gather in less numbers thinking there would be more grass etc for

them to graze on

Simon.

and as such go against some of the core tenets of the animal rights

movement.

>

> Chris W

>

>

> ~~ info ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> Please remember that the above is only the opinion of the author,

> there may be another side to the story you have not heard.

> ---------------------------

> Was this message Off Topic? Did you know? Was it snipped?

> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> Guidelines: visit <site temporarily offline>

> Un: send a blank message to -

>

>

Guest guest

-

Oliver Slay

Friday, April 04, 2003 1:23 PM

I think your thinking the worst.Trees would probably be are saviours. Let them grow ! grow ! grow !

Simon>

if nature evolved that way then it would probably end up with lots of plants that eat each other and a few species of animals remaining on the earth ... plants would become 'intelligent' in ways we might not be able to imagine ... all the species of animals would probably be indigestible by other animals as a mechanism to prevent their digestion by other animals... humans would not be able to live in the climate... it would have to be hotter... possibly even post-apocalyptic...

Chris W [chrisw] On top of that, if nothing preyed on anything else, the planet wouldquickly become overrun by the species that are rather good atprocreating (much better even than mankind!). Full control would have tobe exercised by humans over that and, as such, actually goes againstsome of the core tenets of the animal rights movement.Chris W~~ info ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Please remember that the above is only the opinion of the author, there may be another side to the story you have not heard.---------------------------Was this message Off Topic? Did you know? Was it snipped?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Guidelines: visit <site temporarily offline>Un: send a blank message to -

Guest guest

banning smoking in bars does not stop smoking ...

in San Francisco it is banned .. so every 10 minutes people stand on the pavement outside .... they just think they can smoke and their clothes don't get so dirty ...

banning people from doing things is never prevents people from doing those things ... because it doesn't get to the root cause of the problem ... merely looks at symptoms...

I agree with your stance on smoking the sooner it is banned altogether the better.

Simon

Guest guest

i believe there are places where animals and humans etc do not kill food ... but they are also places where animals and humans etc cannot live .. like the moon and jupiter ... mars...

simonpjones [simonpjones] I think nature allows a way to live where at least living creatures canlive without killing one another.I think it has been proved to some extent with some dogs and cats right now.All we have to do is realize that there is not a great deal of differencebetween animals in general.Simon

Guest guest

there are no trees in Tibet ... what makes you think a world without trees won't be the outcome of evolution...?

i'm not even guessing what it'll be like ...

I think your thinking the worst.Trees would probably be are saviours. Let them grow ! grow ! grow !

Simon>

Guest guest

In other words, Ents???

Then trees would need the same rights as us too and it may not be

vegan then to eat apples anymore???

Maybe we will evolve into Ents?

Oh dear - see what happens. Simon+Oliver+Fridays+colds=fuddle !

Siofra

, " simonpjones " <simonpjones@o...>

wrote:

> Message

> -

> Oliver Slay

>

> Friday, April 04, 2003 1:23 PM

> RE: Cats debate via other thoughts

>

> I think your thinking the worst.Trees would probably be are

saviours. Let them grow ! grow ! grow !

>

> Simon>

>

>

> if nature evolved that way then it would probably end up with

lots of plants that eat each other and a few species of animals

remaining on the earth ... plants would become 'intelligent' in ways

we might not be able to imagine ... all the species of animals would

probably be indigestible by other animals as a mechanism to prevent

their digestion by other animals... humans would not be able to live

in the climate... it would have to be hotter... possibly even post-

apocalyptic...

>

>

> Chris W [chrisw@g...]

>

>

> On top of that, if nothing preyed on anything else, the planet

would

> quickly become overrun by the species that are rather good at

> procreating (much better even than mankind!). Full control

would have to

> be exercised by humans over that and, as such, actually goes

against

> some of the core tenets of the animal rights movement.

>

> Chris W

>

>

>

Guest guest

See what I mean? It's comments like this from you that annoy me, the way you comment on me and my behaviour as if I can help the way I am made ill by cigarette smoke, as if I have to "let go" of something, and as if I am wrong to raise my objections to it and stand up for myself. The rage against my mother is probably what you think I need to let go of but then I hardly get angry at her as I don't see much of her and besides she is more respectful of my wishes now (admittedly it is because I finally put my foot down over her smoking) and she agreed not to smoke inside when we were round at her house last time we were in Cheshire. We would not have visited otherwise.

Today I was not thinking at all about this when I was indoors with my daughter and I felt safe, when suddenly out of the blue I smelled cigarette smoke, so I went to the door of our flat to investigate and saw a delivery man smoking as he was trying to deliver to a neighbour who was out at work. I have a very sensitive nose when it comes to cigarette smoke, I can smell it from quite far away, even just a little of it, like a shark smells a very dilute amount of blood in water. I complained that it was really upsetting me as it was coming into our flat and the corridor stank now so he went out of the block of flats to stub it out, he did not return to ask me to take my neighbour's parcel (which I would have done and I think he was going to ask me to take it, but I got my complaint about his smoking in first), obviously he was too ashamed to face me again, but the damage was done, the air was thick with smoke in the corridor and took ages to clear. Spraying air freshener only masks the smell which helps to some degree but not entirely as it does not get rid of the actual filthy smoke. I felt very ill and breathless from it. This man was just clearly disrespectful to smoke in the corridor of a block of flats because there was clearly hardly any way for the smoke to disperse except via people's flats! My door was shut and still the smoke came in. I shut the door and opened the windows. I shall now be telling the neighbour that I am sorry that I was unable to take delivery of her parcel, which I normally would have quite willingly done, and why I was unable to take it, so she is aware of the situation. I hope it will prompt her to complain about the delivery man! She probably won't though because she is not bothered by smoke although a non-smoker herself, and she does not understand how offensive it is to some people. I don't know what company he was with or I would complain to them myself of course.

Lesley

Oliver Slay [oliver]04 April 2003 12:01 Subject: RE: Cats debate via other thoughts

i completely admire your firmly held convictions and that no matter what you will never let go of them or maybe they will never let go of you ... whether or not i agree with some of your reported behaviour that arises out of your beliefs is a different matter...

Guest guest

i really do prefer to think about chocolate cake... the familiar ... the tasty.

i don't smoke ... and don't care to talk about smoking ...

i think i stated clearly enough that i fully understood your reasons for not liking smoking. I really have read a lot of what you have written in the past and i appreciate the difficulty that smoking in public places must make of your life.

if you choose to be annoyed then that is up to you.

Lesley Dove [Lesley]

See what I mean? It's comments like this from you that annoy me, the way you comment on me and my behaviour as if I can help the way I am made ill by cigarette smoke, as if I have to "let go" of something, and as if I am wrong to raise my objections to it and stand up for myself. The rage against my mother is probably what you think I need to let go of but then I

Oliver Slay [oliver]

i completely admire your firmly held convictions and that no matter what you will never let go of them or maybe they will never let go of you ... whether or not i agree with some of your reported behaviour that arises out of your beliefs is a different matter... ~~ info ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Please remember that the above is only the opinion of the author, there may be another side to the story you have not heard.---------------------------Was this message Off Topic? Did you know? Was it snipped?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Guidelines: visit <site temporarily offline>Un: send a blank message to -

Guest guest

I don't seem to understand what is going on anymore ! Was I talking about something ? I hope it made more sense than the message I'm replying to --- if I'm replying to it !!!

Time for them to take me away I think -----or is it ?

if you call someone mad you are saying that you are incapable (through lack of interest/time/education) of understanding the beautiful and individual way in which that other person's mind works... and sometimes that incapacity to understand is understandable when there is in fact a large amount of delusion in the other person's mind that prevents them in the first place from communicating how or what they are thinking....

i believe Angie is talking about the former... Simon the latter...

---

Guest guest

he's definitely lost it ---poor bugger I'll cross him off the list for honorary female status -------probably has defective sperm anyway ! Don't tell him I said so tho'

Oliver Slay [oliver] 04 April 2003 10:58 Subject: RE: Cats debate via other thoughts

a minority view

not going anywhere

back where we started

getting dizzy

---

Guest guest

Its a pity people stand outside and smoke because one has to run the gauntlet when passing them . Outside the local hospital its especially bad and I have to take a deep breath then run to get inside before I can breath again

If I had a machine gun I could remove a large number in one go ,so there is a plus side

Angie (off to look for aforementioned gun )

in San Francisco it is banned .. so every 10 minutes people stand on the pavement outside .... they just think they can smoke and their clothes don't get so dirty ...

---

Guest guest

I didn't know that ----------Now where do I go for my hols ?

Angie ( very disappointed )

Oliver Slay [oliver] 04 April 2003 14:39 Subject: RE: Cats debate via other thoughts

... but they are also places where animals and humans etc cannot live .. like the moon and jupiter ... mars...

---

Guest guest

I got ill recently when I had to pass a load of smokers at the hospital entrance (I was going to see a doctor about my veruca). I made a big fuss about it because I felt so sick and breathless. It was at Northwick Hospital in Harrow. This must be a common problem at hospital entrances and I think they should go well away from there to smoke, or better still not smoke at all.

Maybe I'll take a big supersoaker water gun next time and use it on them. It will make a point even if I was to get arrested.

Lesley

Angie Wright [angiewright]05 April 2003 00:00 Subject: RE: Cats debate via other thoughts

Its a pity people stand outside and smoke because one has to run the gauntlet when passing them . Outside the local hospital its especially bad and I have to take a deep breath then run to get inside before I can breath again

If I had a machine gun I could remove a large number in one go ,so there is a plus side

Angie (off to look for aforementioned gun )

~~ info ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Please remember that the above is only the opinion of the author, there may be another side to the story you have not heard.---------------------------Was this message Off Topic? Did you know? Was it snipped?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Guidelines: visit <site temporarily offline>Un: send a blank message to -

Guest guest

Thats exactly the point I made when I started this stream, looks as though we

have gone around in a circle!

>

Peter H

--------------------

talk21 your FREE portable and private address on the net at

http://www.talk21.com