IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Qi regulation

Rate this topic

Guest guest

B.Flaws (?) said something in the Benadryl discussions like: Benadryl must have a qi regulating effect due to its ability to eliminate pain. (Correct me if I’m wrong, I can’t find the post)… It seems, though, that many peoples’ beliefs are very close to this- ‘If a medicinal stops pain it MUST regulate qi/ xue’. I question this (I am not saying Benadryl does not reg qi). What I wonder about are substances or (processes) that might just interfere with the nervous system/ receptor sites (or whatever) and just block a sensation of the pain, but not actually move any qi at all. The pain or pathological process/ lesion can be completely unchanged but one’s perception might instantly change due to administration of i.e. morphine (or something similar) Is the qi being moved? If Qi is being moved, thus preventing the pain, shouldn’t the person show signs of healing in that area? Obviously when powerful drugs wear off many times nothing has changed, and they are at square one. If all this is true, understanding herbs in this way that eliminate pain/ (move qi/xue) would be very worthwhile. IS a given herb actually moving qi, as traditional thought might suggest, or just masking some sensation. Yan hu suo might fall into the latter category. So where there is pain there is stagnation, but can we backwards travel and say if pain ceases then qi/xue must have moved… I am not sure. We probably will have to discuss the nature of pain..

One might question how accurate a gauge pain is to determine the degree of stagnation. How do we explain 2 people with the same injury, one is screaming with their pain 9 of 10, another feels nothing. This might be important due to our current trend of attributing many chronic and aging diseases to stagnation. IS the notion of “where there is pain, there is stagnation” an oversimplified statement? What does this really mean? And when we eliminate pain what have we really done?

Comments?

-

Guest guest

Jason,

Conceptually, I think you're mixing apples and oranges. When thinking

in terms of CM, I would suggest you need to stay within the system. I

acknowledge this is not always easy for us Westerners who are pickled

in Western biomedicine, but, in my experience, it is the key to

superior CM.

Bob

, " " <@o...> wrote:

> B.Flaws (?) said something in the Benadryl discussions like:

Benadryl

> must have a qi regulating effect due to its ability to eliminate

pain.

> (Correct me if I'm wrong, I can't find the post). It seems, though,

> that many peoples' beliefs are very close to this- 'If a medicinal

stops

> pain it MUST regulate qi/ xue'. I question this (I am not saying

> Benadryl does not reg qi). What I wonder about are substances or

> (processes) that might just interfere with the nervous system/

receptor

> sites (or whatever) and just block a sensation of the pain, but not

> actually move any qi at all. The pain or pathological process/

lesion

> can be completely unchanged but one's perception might instantly

change

> due to administration of i.e. morphine (or something similar) Is the

qi

> being moved? If Qi is being moved, thus preventing the pain,

shouldn't

> the person show signs of healing in that area? Obviously when

powerful

> drugs wear off many times nothing has changed, and they are at

square

> one. If all this is true, understanding herbs in this way that

> eliminate pain/ (move qi/xue) would be very worthwhile. IS a given

herb

> actually moving qi, as traditional thought might suggest, or just

> masking some sensation. Yan hu suo might fall into the latter

category.

> So where there is pain there is stagnation, but can we backwards

travel

> and say if pain ceases then qi/xue must have moved. I am not sure.

We

> probably will have to discuss the nature of pain..

> One might question how accurate a gauge pain is to determine

the

> degree of stagnation. How do we explain 2 people with the same

injury,

> one is screaming with their pain 9 of 10, another feels nothing.

This

> might be important due to our current trend of attributing many

chronic

> and aging diseases to stagnation. IS the notion of " where there is

> pain, there is stagnation " an oversimplified statement? What does

this

> really mean? And when we eliminate pain what have we really done?

> Comments?

>

> -

Guest guest

How do we explain 2 people with the same injury, one is screaming with their pain 9 of 10, another feels nothing.

>>>Well su wen says if heart is peaceful all pain is negligible. So we have accounts for this in both modern biomed and CM

Alon

-

traditional chinese herbs

Sunday, December 30, 2001 2:08 PM

Qi regulation

B.Flaws (?) said something in the Benadryl discussions like: Benadryl must have a qi regulating effect due to its ability to eliminate pain. (Correct me if I’m wrong, I can’t find the post)… It seems, though, that many peoples’ beliefs are very close to this- ‘If a medicinal stops pain it MUST regulate qi/ xue’. I question this (I am not saying Benadryl does not reg qi). What I wonder about are substances or (processes) that might just interfere with the nervous system/ receptor sites (or whatever) and just block a sensation of the pain, but not actually move any qi at all. The pain or pathological process/ lesion can be completely unchanged but one’s perception might instantly change due to administration of i.e. morphine (or something similar) Is the qi being moved? If Qi is being moved, thus preventing the pain, shouldn’t the person show signs of healing in that area? Obviously when powerful drugs wear off many times nothing has changed, and they are at square one. If all this is true, understanding herbs in this way that eliminate pain/ (move qi/xue) would be very worthwhile. IS a given herb actually moving qi, as traditional thought might suggest, or just masking some sensation. Yan hu suo might fall into the latter category. So where there is pain there is stagnation, but can we backwards travel and say if pain ceases then qi/xue must have moved… I am not sure. We probably will have to discuss the nature of pain..

One might question how accurate a gauge pain is to determine the degree of stagnation. How do we explain 2 people with the same injury, one is screaming with their pain 9 of 10, another feels nothing. This might be important due to our current trend of attributing many chronic and aging diseases to stagnation. IS the notion of “where there is pain, there is stagnation” an oversimplified statement? What does this really mean? And when we eliminate pain what have we really done?

Comments?

-Chinese Herbal Medicine, a voluntary organization of licensed healthcare practitioners, matriculated students and postgraduate academics specializing in Chinese Herbal Medicine, provides a variety of professional services, including board approved online continuing education.

Guest guest

Alon,

I think your response begs the question. It certainly does not give an

answer in terms of CM theory. So let me try to think this through

using CM theory.

Sensitivity is one of the functions of the spirit brilliance and the

spirit brilliance is nothing other than a collection of yang qi. In my

experience, people who are more sensitive to pain are those whose yang

qi stirs more easily than others. Those with a more easily stirred

spirit qi are those who either 1) have less yin-blood to control their

yang qi, 2) have more heat stirring the qi, or 3) have less qi

constructing their spirit.

This last possibility seems perhaps somewhat counterintuitive. If one

has less qi, shouldn't that qi stir less? However, restlessness of the

heart spirit and anxiety and fear can be caused by nonconstruction and

malnourishment of the heart spirit.

In my experience as an acupuncturist, many people who are more than

ordinarily sensitive to pain have a combination of heat plus

nonconstruction and malnourishment. Especially vacuity heat tends to

be associated with hypersensitivity. Again in my experience, very

robust patients with a lot of qi and a lot of blood accompanied by a

lot of phlegm turbidity tend to be less sensitive to pain.

Whether these thoughts are correct or not, I would, nevertheless,

invite people to really try to think with CM theory.

Bob

, " ALON MARCUS " <alonmarcus@w...>

wrote:

> Qi regulationHow do we explain 2 people with the same injury, one is

screaming with their pain 9 of 10, another feels nothing.

> >>>Well su wen says if heart is peaceful all pain is negligible.

So we have accounts for this in both modern biomed and CM

> Alon

> -

>

> traditional chinese herbs

> Sunday, December 30, 2001 2:08 PM

> Qi regulation

>

>

> B.Flaws (?) said something in the Benadryl discussions like:

Benadryl must have a qi regulating effect due to its ability to

eliminate pain. (Correct me if I'm wrong, I can't find the post). It

seems, though, that many peoples' beliefs are very close to this- 'If

a medicinal stops pain it MUST regulate qi/ xue'. I question this (I

am not saying Benadryl does not reg qi). What I wonder about are

substances or (processes) that might just interfere with the nervous

system/ receptor sites (or whatever) and just block a sensation of the

pain, but not actually move any qi at all. The pain or pathological

process/ lesion can be completely unchanged but one's perception might

instantly change due to administration of i.e. morphine (or something

similar) Is the qi being moved? If Qi is being moved, thus preventing

the pain, shouldn't the person show signs of healing in that area?

Obviously when powerful drugs wear off many times nothing has changed,

and they are at square one. If all this is true, understanding herbs

in this way that eliminate pain/ (move qi/xue) would be very

worthwhile. IS a given herb actually moving qi, as traditional

thought might suggest, or just masking some sensation. Yan hu suo

might fall into the latter category. So where there is pain there is

stagnation, but can we backwards travel and say if pain ceases then

qi/xue must have moved. I am not sure. We probably will have to

discuss the nature of pain..

>

> One might question how accurate a gauge pain is to

determine the degree of stagnation. How do we explain 2 people with

the same injury, one is screaming with their pain 9 of 10, another

feels nothing. This might be important due to our current trend of

attributing many chronic and aging diseases to stagnation. IS the

notion of " where there is pain, there is stagnation " an oversimplified

statement? What does this really mean? And when we eliminate pain

what have we really done?

>

> Comments?

>

> -

>

>

>

Guest guest

In my experience as an acupuncturist, many people who are more than ordinarily sensitive to pain have a combination of heat plus nonconstruction and malnourishment. Especially vacuity heat tends to be associated with hypersensitivity. Again in my experience, very robust patients with a lot of qi and a lot of blood accompanied by a lot of phlegm turbidity tend to be less sensitive to pain.>>>>>firstly I was just quoting the su wen. also, has to your analysis I would say Yes and no. I do some really painful procedures (not your simple deep acupuncture), many that are usually done under anesthesia. by MD's. I know people reaction to acute pain very well and I can tell you, that some of the weakest patients that have clearly weak yang qi, def yin rising yang, heart qi blood def may do very well. While others such as strong athletes that relay do not have any other complaint beside their pain do to an injury, and their pulse, tongue and abdomen show nothing abnormal, get off the table with screams. I have been surpassed to many times to buy into your explanation or the su wen for that matter.

Alon

-

pemachophel2001

Monday, December 31, 2001 11:48 AM

Re: Qi regulation

Alon,I think your response begs the question. It certainly does not give an answer in terms of CM theory. So let me try to think this through using CM theory.Sensitivity is one of the functions of the spirit brilliance and the spirit brilliance is nothing other than a collection of yang qi. In my experience, people who are more sensitive to pain are those whose yang qi stirs more easily than others. Those with a more easily stirred spirit qi are those who either 1) have less yin-blood to control their yang qi, 2) have more heat stirring the qi, or 3) have less qi constructing their spirit. This last possibility seems perhaps somewhat counterintuitive. If one has less qi, shouldn't that qi stir less? However, restlessness of the heart spirit and anxiety and fear can be caused by nonconstruction and malnourishment of the heart spirit.In my experience as an acupuncturist, many people who are more than ordinarily sensitive to pain have a combination of heat plus nonconstruction and malnourishment. Especially vacuity heat tends to be associated with hypersensitivity. Again in my experience, very robust patients with a lot of qi and a lot of blood accompanied by a lot of phlegm turbidity tend to be less sensitive to pain.Whether these thoughts are correct or not, I would, nevertheless, invite people to really try to think with CM theory.Bob , "ALON MARCUS" <alonmarcus@w...> wrote:> Qi regulationHow do we explain 2 people with the same injury, one is screaming with their pain 9 of 10, another feels nothing. > >>>Well su wen says if heart is peaceful all pain is negligible. So we have accounts for this in both modern biomed and CM> Alon> - > > traditional chinese herbs > Sunday, December 30, 2001 2:08 PM> Qi regulation> > > B.Flaws (?) said something in the Benadryl discussions like: Benadryl must have a qi regulating effect due to its ability to eliminate pain. (Correct me if I'm wrong, I can't find the post). It seems, though, that many peoples' beliefs are very close to this- 'If a medicinal stops pain it MUST regulate qi/ xue'. I question this (I am not saying Benadryl does not reg qi). What I wonder about are substances or (processes) that might just interfere with the nervous system/ receptor sites (or whatever) and just block a sensation of the pain, but not actually move any qi at all. The pain or pathological process/ lesion can be completely unchanged but one's perception might instantly change due to administration of i.e. morphine (or something similar) Is the qi being moved? If Qi is being moved, thus preventing the pain, shouldn't the person show signs of healing in that area? Obviously when powerful drugs wear off many times nothing has changed, and they are at square one. If all this is true, understanding herbs in this way that eliminate pain/ (move qi/xue) would be very worthwhile. IS a given herb actually moving qi, as traditional thought might suggest, or just masking some sensation. Yan hu suo might fall into the latter category. So where there is pain there is stagnation, but can we backwards travel and say if pain ceases then qi/xue must have moved. I am not sure. We probably will have to discuss the nature of pain.. > > One might question how accurate a gauge pain is to determine the degree of stagnation. How do we explain 2 people with the same injury, one is screaming with their pain 9 of 10, another feels nothing. This might be important due to our current trend of attributing many chronic and aging diseases to stagnation. IS the notion of "where there is pain, there is stagnation" an oversimplified statement? What does this really mean? And when we eliminate pain what have we really done?> > Comments?> > -> > >

Guest guest

Sensitivity is one of the functions of the spirit brilliance and the spirit brilliance is nothing other than a collection of yang qi. In my experience, people who are more sensitive to pain are those whose yang qi stirs more easily than others. Those with a more easily stirred spirit qi are those who either 1) have less yin-blood to control their yang qi, 2) have more heat stirring the qi, or 3) have less qi constructing their spirit.

>>>>Also Bob, this does not explain the incredible variability to pain that is just due to cultural differences. As a so called gynecologist you should know this very well.

Alon

-

pemachophel2001

Monday, December 31, 2001 11:48 AM

Alon,I think your response begs the question. It certainly does not give an answer in terms of CM theory. So let me try to think this through using CM theory.Sensitivity is one of the functions of the spirit brilliance and the spirit brilliance is nothing other than a collection of yang qi. In my experience, people who are more sensitive to pain are those whose yang qi stirs more easily than others. Those with a more easily stirred spirit qi are those who either 1) have less yin-blood to control their yang qi, 2) have more heat stirring the qi, or 3) have less qi constructing their spirit. This last possibility seems perhaps somewhat counterintuitive. If one has less qi, shouldn't that qi stir less? However, restlessness of the heart spirit and anxiety and fear can be caused by nonconstruction and malnourishment of the heart spirit.In my experience as an acupuncturist, many people who are more than ordinarily sensitive to pain have a combination of heat plus nonconstruction and malnourishment. Especially vacuity heat tends to be associated with hypersensitivity. Again in my experience, very robust patients with a lot of qi and a lot of blood accompanied by a lot of phlegm turbidity tend to be less sensitive to pain.Whether these thoughts are correct or not, I would, nevertheless, invite people to really try to think with CM theory.Bob , "ALON MARCUS" <alonmarcus@w...> wrote:> Qi regulationHow do we explain 2 people with the same injury, one is screaming with their pain 9 of 10, another feels nothing. > >>>Well su wen says if heart is peaceful all pain is negligible. So we have accounts for this in both modern biomed and CM> Alon> - > > traditional chinese herbs > Sunday, December 30, 2001 2:08 PM> Qi regulation> > > B.Flaws (?) said something in the Benadryl discussions like: Benadryl must have a qi regulating effect due to its ability to eliminate pain. (Correct me if I'm wrong, I can't find the post). It seems, though, that many peoples' beliefs are very close to this- 'If a medicinal stops pain it MUST regulate qi/ xue'. I question this (I am not saying Benadryl does not reg qi). What I wonder about are substances or (processes) that might just interfere with the nervous system/ receptor sites (or whatever) and just block a sensation of the pain, but not actually move any qi at all. The pain or pathological process/ lesion can be completely unchanged but one's perception might instantly change due to administration of i.e. morphine (or something similar) Is the qi being moved? If Qi is being moved, thus preventing the pain, shouldn't the person show signs of healing in that area? Obviously when powerful drugs wear off many times nothing has changed, and they are at square one. If all this is true, understanding herbs in this way that eliminate pain/ (move qi/xue) would be very worthwhile. IS a given herb actually moving qi, as traditional thought might suggest, or just masking some sensation. Yan hu suo might fall into the latter category. So where there is pain there is stagnation, but can we backwards travel and say if pain ceases then qi/xue must have moved. I am not sure. We probably will have to discuss the nature of pain.. > > One might question how accurate a gauge pain is to determine the degree of stagnation. How do we explain 2 people with the same injury, one is screaming with their pain 9 of 10, another feels nothing. This might be important due to our current trend of attributing many chronic and aging diseases to stagnation. IS the notion of "where there is pain, there is stagnation" an oversimplified statement? What does this really mean? And when we eliminate pain what have we really done?> > Comments?> > -> > >

Guest guest

Bob

I agree with you in general sense but have a question,

what do you think:

sensation of pain when you put needles and sensation

of pain related to some disease are the same stirring

Yang Qi?

Yuri

>

> Sensitivity is one of the functions of the spirit

> brilliance and the

> spirit brilliance is nothing other than a collection

> of yang qi. In my

> experience, people who are more sensitive to pain

> are those whose yang

> qi stirs more easily than others. Those with a more

> easily stirred

> spirit qi are those who either 1) have less

> yin-blood to control their

> yang qi, 2) have more heat stirring the qi, or 3)

> have less qi

> constructing their spirit.

Send your FREE holiday greetings online!

http://greetings.

Guest guest

Yuri,

There is a single statement about pain in CM which is bedrock theory.

If there is pain, there is no free flow (tong ze bu tong). That means

that any and all pain has to do with a lack of free flow. When one

puts a needle in a patient's body and there is a sensation of pain,

that means that, for as long as the pain is felt, there is some

blockage of the free flow. If the pain is just a sharp, transient

prick as the needle pierces the skin, I would interpret this as a

transient blackage of the movement of the exterior defensive (wai

wei) and the blood in the sun luo or grandchild network vessels.

If it is a more long-lasting aching and soreness, then I would

interpret this as the needle's stimulation of an accumulation of qi in

the area. As long as the aching and soreness are felt, the qi in that

area is not completely free-flowing. I think one can visualize this as

building up pressure in an area which eventually becomes so great as

to burst through whatever blockage may be impeding free flow. In a

sense, we are creating a temporary lack of free flow in order to build

up pressure to break through a pathological free flow. (I've never

expressed this before. So I hope you get what I mean.)

But we need to be careful here. There are two issues that appear to

be conflated in your response to my posting. One is the production of

pain and the other is the sensation of pain. These are not one and the

same thing. As stated above, pain is the subjective sensation of lack

of free flow. However, as well all know, some people are more or less

sensative to pain. As I said yesterday, sensation is a function of qi.

I believe that those who are more sensitive have more easily stirred

spirit qi than others. Then I went on to suggest two or three basic

mechanisms for some people's spirit qi being more easily stirred.

So what we have here is a multi-leveled discussion, and I think it's

important to keep the various sections of this discussion separate.

However, I only know of one definitive statement in Chinese medicine

about pain regardless of the type of pain that is under discussion.

" If there is pain, there is no free flow. " If one accepts that basic

premise, what I refer to as a CM statement of fact, then one must

discuss all types and instances of pain in terms of CM in the light of

that basic premise.

Bob

, leah tynkova <leahhome> wrote:

> Bob

> I agree with you in general sense but have a question,

> what do you think:

> sensation of pain when you put needles and sensation

> of pain related to some disease are the same stirring

> Yang Qi?

> Yuri

>

> >

> > Sensitivity is one of the functions of the spirit

> > brilliance and the

> > spirit brilliance is nothing other than a collection

> > of yang qi. In my

> > experience, people who are more sensitive to pain

> > are those whose yang

> > qi stirs more easily than others. Those with a more

> > easily stirred

> > spirit qi are those who either 1) have less

> > yin-blood to control their

> > yang qi, 2) have more heat stirring the qi, or 3)

> > have less qi

> > constructing their spirit.

>

>

>

>

> Send your FREE holiday greetings online!

> http://greetings.

Guest guest

Bob,

Could you explain exactly why we cannot supposedly mix these

'apples and oranges'? And what exactly are the apples and oranges?

Your (assumed) statements: (Based on: where there is pain there is lack

of flow): (correct me if I am wrong)

1. " Any substance that eliminates pain moves qi " Hence is a Qi mover.

(/xue)

2. Can I further say that you believe that " Any substance that

eliminates pain moves qi (in the area of the pain). "

3. Further " any process or action that eliminates pain moves qi (in the

area of pain) "

First, I can currently only agree with the 1st statement in the sense

that all substances and actions move qi somewhere on some level. But I

cannot see how any substance that eliminates pain moves the qi in the

area of pain therefore eliminating the pain. (see previous post)

Secondly, I am unsure I have ever read the above assumptions in CM

literature, and don't know if logic supports them. But let's assume

that somewhere is CM it is supported.

Also there are many CM herbs that deal with pain and are not actually

said to move qi. Is this assumed?

I personally (in this case) see no reason we must stay confined

strictly to a CM perspective, because looking at it from a western

understanding is precisely the point. I am challenging the basic

'supposed statement of fact' or assumption based on the statement of

fact (see above). Personally I believe there are no facts. So let's

start from the premise that the statement previously mentioned about

pain is a theory or idea in CM. I think that with any theory, new

understanding of a given system, can either support or change it.

I am suggesting that with modern understanding the above

statements might not be adequate. I don't think there is any debate that

Chinese medical history is filled with examples of theories that did not

pan out or have been updated with 'new' understanding or 'new' beliefs

or concepts. And as far as integrated understanding of ideas, I thought

this was precisely the point in discussing benadryl, a combined

approach.

I am not ready to except anything as a fact, especially when

kept within its original system. AS the Chinese are currently doing, let

us challenge this idea from a modern (possibly more enhanced/ thorough)

understanding of pain in relation to medicinals / substances given to

alter pain.

Interestingly it seems (CM) qi regulators move qi and eliminate

pain in specific areas. Morphine, for example, has a systemic action.

Quite possibly since TCM had no substances as strong as morphine this

led to a slightly pedant view of pain and qi. This discussion begs an

understanding of not only qi but pain from a CM and western perspective,

Ken?

Finally as a side exercise then, (in a completely CM system) let

us explain morphine as a qi regulator.

Comments?

-

>

> pemachophel2001 [pemachophel2001]

> Monday, December 31, 2001 9:24 AM

>

> Re: Qi regulation

>

> Jason,

>

> Conceptually, I think you're mixing apples and oranges. When thinking

> in terms of CM, I would suggest you need to stay within the system. I

> acknowledge this is not always easy for us Westerners who are pickled

> in Western biomedicine, but, in my experience, it is the key to

> superior CM.

>

> Bob

>

> , " " <@o...> wrote:

> > B.Flaws (?) said something in the Benadryl discussions like:

> Benadryl

> > must have a qi regulating effect due to its ability to eliminate

> pain.

> > (Correct me if I'm wrong, I can't find the post). It seems, though,

> > that many peoples' beliefs are very close to this- 'If a medicinal

> stops

> > pain it MUST regulate qi/ xue'. I question this (I am not saying

> > Benadryl does not reg qi). What I wonder about are substances or

> > (processes) that might just interfere with the nervous system/

> receptor

> > sites (or whatever) and just block a sensation of the pain, but not

> > actually move any qi at all. The pain or pathological process/

> lesion

> > can be completely unchanged but one's perception might instantly

> change

> > due to administration of i.e. morphine (or something similar) Is the

> qi

> > being moved? If Qi is being moved, thus preventing the pain,

> shouldn't

> > the person show signs of healing in that area? Obviously when

> powerful

> > drugs wear off many times nothing has changed, and they are at

> square

> > one. If all this is true, understanding herbs in this way that

> > eliminate pain/ (move qi/xue) would be very worthwhile. IS a given

> herb

> > actually moving qi, as traditional thought might suggest, or just

> > masking some sensation. Yan hu suo might fall into the latter

> category.

> > So where there is pain there is stagnation, but can we backwards

> travel

> > and say if pain ceases then qi/xue must have moved. I am not sure.

> We

> > probably will have to discuss the nature of pain..

> > One might question how accurate a gauge pain is to determine

> the

> > degree of stagnation. How do we explain 2 people with the same

> injury,

> > one is screaming with their pain 9 of 10, another feels nothing.

> This

> > might be important due to our current trend of attributing many

> chronic

> > and aging diseases to stagnation. IS the notion of " where there is

> > pain, there is stagnation " an oversimplified statement? What does

> this

> > really mean? And when we eliminate pain what have we really done?

> > Comments?

> >

> > -

>

Guest guest

, " " <@o...> wrote:

> Also there are many CM herbs that deal with pain and are not actually

> said to move qi.

I assume when Bob mentioned free flow, he was talking about blood and

qi. So herbs that relieve pain either move qi, blood or both. So we

are not merely limited to qi regulators, but also blood invigorators.

So what other types of herbs relieve pain besides these. Well, I guess

it depends on how one defines pain and how one understands the causes

of impaired freeflow. So why do herbs that expel winddamp relieve

pain? Do they move qi or blood? Do they free flow by dispelling the

pathogen blocking the free flow? How about phlegm? Some cases of

stubborn bi are attributed to phlegm, but again this is due to impaired

free flow. So the pain in each case is due to lack of free flow, with

additional qualities related to the pathogen (i.e. cold is severe, damp

is fixed, etc.).

What about liver yang rising caused headaches? I suppose the only

reason one has pain from yang rising is because the upwards force has

no where to go, thus the flow is impaired. Nevertheless, I would agree

that gou teng does not treat headache by increasing flow, for example.

What about lumbar soreness and aching due to kidney xu? Is this

technically something other than pain because the tratment principle in

this case is to supplement? How about headaches due to blood xu?

Isn't this dull aching due to vacuity, not stagnation? However, when

it comes to vacuity pain, none of the herbs have very strong pain

relieving effects. That does seem limited to those herbs that move

stagnation.

So the question returns to whether an herb or drug like morphine can be

called a blood mover. You seem to be saying since the drug has no

actual effect on blood circulation from a western perspective, but

merely blocks pain receptors, it does not actually cause movement. And

also that the condition of blood stasis (presumably from a TCM

perspective) is not really altered. That morphine does not lead to any

healing, such as the way an herb like hong hua, dan shen, chaun xiong

do. I'll add that most of the herbs I can think of that move blood in

TCM also alter circulation in WM. The thing that occurs to me as I

write this is that when one takes morphine or other opiates for pain

(many people are familiar with vicodin for dental work, as an example),

the perception of the patient is a restoration of qi flow, albeit

temporary. I am not sure that it says anywhere in the CM literature

that blood mover leads to healing. It is a branch or excess pathology,

after all. Isn't it this change in subjective perception the basis of

all understanding in TCM. For example, an herb may lead to altered

perception of heat effusion without altering body temperature.

Nevertheless, could such an herb be said to have a heat clearing

function anyway? On a concrete level, taking morphine allows one who

is doubled over or crying in agony, who can't move even the slightest

bit to have their freedom of movement or function restored.

Guest guest

Bob,

I would argue that despite the correctness

of the bulk of your comments on pain, there

is a basic misapplication of theory at work

here. This gets at Alon's question as to

what differences can be attained from looking

into the language and its relationship to

the thought that has gone into the development

of medical theory, strategy, methods, and

substances over the centuries.

I'll go through your statements as carefully

as I can, but I want to preface those detailed

comments with a general one. Despite the

fact of the definite and characteristic structure

of the theories of Chinese medicine, and here

I am thinking of Unschuld's phrase, the medicine

of systematic correspondence, there is no

statemnt, assertion, presumption or requirement

that any part of theory or indeed the whole

body of theory ever apply to any particular

situation or circumstance.

Theory in Chinese medicine is not a collation

of laws, but rather the aggregation of long

and careful observations of phenomena. The

phenomena themselves are first and last and

always considered as being of senior importance,

so to speak, and always take precedence over

theory.

That is to say, Chinese medical theories ought

never be stretched and bent to match situations.

They function best when they reveal to the user

a pattern of predictable relationships and dynamics

that when found to be present not only confirm the

theoretical presumptions but open a doorway to

intervention.

When no such match occurs or is found, the

basic theoretical principle is: use another theory.

The effort to adapt a theory to a situation or,

perhaps worse, to adapt a situation to a theory,

is needless because there is no presumption that

anything at all about theory is true or applicable

to any given situation. We do, after all, live

in a fairly unpredictable universe, our tendency

to represent it as orderly and well understood notwithstanding.

Despite the very best formulations of human theorizing

about nature, it is nature that always has a surprise

or two in store for humans.

Chinese philosophy recognizes the relative importance

of theory to reality, for example in the passage

from Chapter 25 of the Dao De Jing that states that

there are four phenomena of greatness in the world

and that mankind is one of them. Man follows the earth.

The earth follows heaven. Heaven follows the dao4.

And dao4 follows things themselves (i.e. nature).

I would argue that the dao4 of medicine relies

upon this same set of greatnesses.

>

> There is a single statement about pain in CM which is bedrock

theory.

> If there is pain, there is no free flow (tong ze bu tong).

I'm at a disadvantage at the moment

of having no dictionary to hand. Can

you clarify what these terms are?

I'm presuming that you're referring to

the old saying that says:

tong1 ze2 bu2 tong4

tong4 ze2 bu2 tong1

where there's connection there's no pain

where there's pain there's no connection

If this is correct and the first tong is jiao1 tong1

de tong1, then the word " flow " is an

interprative translation that, while

not at all incorrect, emphasizes one

particular aspect of the concept of

tong1, flow, and overlooks a more basic

and I believe in this instance relevant

sense of the word, i.e. to connect. Now, it might

be argued that the implications of

" connection " include the provision

of a pathway for " flow " , but the two

English words clearly mean something

different from each other. If we're talking

about the same phrase, if it's the tong1 that I'm

thinking of, then I'd suggest the connection

idea over the idea of flow. From the perspective of

trying to identify a generalized etiology

of " pain, " therefore, we might be guided

to conclude that the phrase you've cited

means that pain results from broken or

missing connections in the body, i.e.

things that should be in touch, in communication

and interchange with each other are not,

hence, pain.

That means

> that any and all pain has to do with a lack of free flow. When one

> puts a needle in a patient's body and there is a sensation of pain,

> that means that, for as long as the pain is felt, there is some

> blockage of the free flow. If the pain is just a sharp, transient

> prick as the needle pierces the skin, I would interpret this as a

> transient blackage of the movement of the exterior defensive (wai

> wei) and the blood in the sun luo or grandchild network vessels.

Well, you're certainly dead on when you

mention later on that there are multiple layers

to this discussion. I find pain to be one

of the most challenging concepts in medicine.

Not the least of the challenges involved in

understanding and dealing with pain is the

fact of its highly subjective nature. One

individual's pain is another's pleasure and

vice versa. But however a person experiences

and defines and talks about their pain, I

would stress that rather than assume that

" any and all pain has to do with a lack of free flow "

we might be more accurate to consider that

in the clinical assessment of symptomatic pain,

we can expect to find productive means of

intervention if we look for broken connections.

I would further suggest that one of the

problems with Yuri's question is that it

does not clearly identify what he wants

to contrast and that you end up comparing

two class of phenomena which are not, strictly

speaking comparable. When an acupuncture needle

is inserted, according to the theory of

de2 qi4, there will be one or more sensations

that occur, signalling the " arrival of qi4. "

De2 qi4 sensations are not really categorized

in the same way as symptomatic pains and therefore

trying to describe or explain them with the

theory of pain results in a misfit. This is not

to say that during acupuncture a patient may

not experience pain of the category that

would fit into symptomatic pains and therefore

be properly addressed with the theory you

mention. But this would tend to be viewed

as diverging from the norms of clinical

experience, i.e. an adverse perhaps even

iatrogenic response.

The acculturation to Chinese medicine is nowhere

more well illustrated in my experience than

this very subject of pain and especially

sensations associated with de2 qi4. When I

first got to China and for a few years at

least, I was repeatedly amazed to find

patients in the clinic who begged for

and demanded stronger sensation from the

needle. The image remains vivid with me

until today of an elderly woman sitting

in front of me while I inserted a big

Chinese needle into her face, berating

me for being a weakling and insisting

that I give her some zhang1 sensation

at once or she was going to get the

nice young Chinese intern to treat her.

Here we come to a crossing of some of

the many layers that you cautioned about.

An typical American patient receiving

acupuncture would be halfway to their

lawyer's office with dreams of retiring

on the proceeds from the malpractice suit

that they could press after having been

treated with 1/10th the sensation that

this little old woman had already reported.

Pain is not only a highly personal and

subjective things, but the pathways that

lead to this highly individualized reality

of pain are intricately woven into cultural

fabrics that patients grow in and with.

Here it might be worth mentioning that

the multiple meanings of a word like " tong1 "

imparts a flexibility and adaptive quality

to the Chinese written language which this

type of theory exploits. That is to say

that the flexibility of mind that is rooted

in the way we understand Chinese words extends

to the way that we apply theoretical principles

built from such linguistic building blocks.

I believe it is this flexibility and adaptive

quality of the language that some tend to

incorrectly interpret as meaning or implying

that there can never be standard translations.

To the contrary, this kind of flexibility has

always carried with it a commensurate set of

restrictions and guidelines for how meaning

is to be gotten from words and terms and

phrases. There is thus both an enormous

amount of freedom as well as restraint with which

one must become conversant in order to construct

adequate personal understanding of the words

and the theories, which are when all is said

and done, just collections of words.

>

> If it is a more long-lasting aching and soreness, then I would

> interpret this as the needle's stimulation of an accumulation of qi

in

> the area. As long as the aching and soreness are felt, the qi in

that

> area is not completely free-flowing. I think one can visualize this

as

> building up pressure in an area which eventually becomes so great

as

> to burst through whatever blockage may be impeding free flow.

I don't agree with this, and again I think

its fault lies in being rigidly bound to

a single intrepretation of what qi4 means

as it " flows " through the body. This

characterization presumes as well as

assigns an " energy-like " nature of qi4,

as if it were entirely substantive.

In a

> sense, we are creating a temporary lack of free flow in order to

build

> up pressure to break through a pathological free flow. (I've never

> expressed this before. So I hope you get what I mean.)

I see the logic of what you're saying, but

I once again find the underlying presumptions

to be unsound precisely at the level of what

qi4 is.

>

> But we need to be careful here. There are two issues that appear to

> be conflated in your response to my posting. One is the production

of

> pain and the other is the sensation of pain. These are not one and

the

> same thing. As stated above, pain is the subjective sensation of

lack

> of free flow. However, as well all know, some people are more or

less

> sensative to pain.

Yeah. Absolutely. I think there are far more than

just two issues.

As I said yesterday, sensation is a function of qi.

> I believe that those who are more sensitive have more easily

stirred

> spirit qi than others.

I'm still not clear what this means.

Can you elaborate?

Then I went on to suggest two or three basic

> mechanisms for some people's spirit qi being more easily stirred.

>

> So what we have here is a multi-leveled discussion, and I think

it's

> important to keep the various sections of this discussion separate.

> However, I only know of one definitive statement in Chinese

medicine

> about pain regardless of the type of pain that is under discussion.

> " If there is pain, there is no free flow. " If one accepts that

basic

> premise, what I refer to as a CM statement of fact, then one must

> discuss all types and instances of pain in terms of CM in the light

of

> that basic premise.

But again, we ought not use theories designed

to diagnose clinical, symptomatic pains to understand

the mechanism, causes, importance, and use of

de2 qi4 sensations.

I suspect that there are several interpretations

out there of these phenomena, terms, etc., and

I by no means consider that my understanding is

complete. I'll appreciate reading what you or

others have to add, correct, and so on.

Ken

Guest guest

Ken:

Would this also apply to emotional pain in respect to 5-Phases?

Jim Ramholz

> tong1 ze2 bu2 tong4

> tong4 ze2 bu2 tong1

>

> where there's connection there's no pain

> where there's pain there's no connection

>

> If this is correct and the first tong is jiao1 tong1

> de tong1, then the word " flow " is an

> interprative translation that, while

> not at all incorrect, emphasizes one

> particular aspect of the concept of

> tong1, flow, and overlooks a more basic

> and I believe in this instance relevant

> sense of the word, i.e. to connect. Now, it might

> be argued that the implications of

> " connection " include the provision

> of a pathway for " flow " , but the two

> English words clearly mean something

> different from each other. If we're talking

> about the same phrase, if it's the tong1 that I'm

> thinking of, then I'd suggest the connection

> idea over the idea of flow. From the perspective of

> trying to identify a generalized etiology

> of " pain, "

Guest guest

Jim,

> Would this also apply to emotional pain in respect to 5-Phases?

The issue of emotional pain lies in that

realm of the manifold layers that Bob Flaws

cautioned about. So I want to make sure

that I clearly understand what your intention

is here.

Does the old saying apply to emotional pain?

Do the points about the diagnosis of pain

I made apply to emotional pain?

Certainly five phases applies to the

assessment and treatment of emotional

pain, since the pain of grief is so

different from the pain of terror.

Each affects a different organic

system according to five phase theory

and produces different feelings, different

characteristic changes in qi4.

Just as an aside, I think that not only

a clearer understanding of Chinese words

but English words as well can aid in

the understanding and use of such key

terms. For example, knowing that the

Greek root of the English word " pain "

means " penalty " informs a certain understanding

of what pain is, particularly when we consider

that cultural dimension of the experience

of pain.

Can you clarify and/or elaborate

on your question?

Ken

>

>

>

> > tong1 ze2 bu2 tong4

> > tong4 ze2 bu2 tong1

> >

> > where there's connection there's no pain

> > where there's pain there's no connection

> >

> > If this is correct and the first tong is jiao1 tong1

> > de tong1, then the word " flow " is an

> > interprative translation that, while

> > not at all incorrect, emphasizes one

> > particular aspect of the concept of

> > tong1, flow, and overlooks a more basic

> > and I believe in this instance relevant

> > sense of the word, i.e. to connect. Now, it might

> > be argued that the implications of

> > " connection " include the provision

> > of a pathway for " flow " , but the two

> > English words clearly mean something

> > different from each other. If we're talking

> > about the same phrase, if it's the tong1 that I'm

> > thinking of, then I'd suggest the connection

> > idea over the idea of flow. From the perspective of

> > trying to identify a generalized etiology

> > of " pain, "

Guest guest

I am challenging the basic'supposed statement of fact' or assumption based on the statement offact (see above).

>>>>Nice to know somebody else out there is will to look beyond dogma

Alon

-

Tuesday, January 01, 2002 8:00 PM

RE: Re: Qi regulation

Bob, Could you explain exactly why we cannot supposedly mix these'apples and oranges'? And what exactly are the apples and oranges?Your (assumed) statements: (Based on: where there is pain there is lackof flow): (correct me if I am wrong)1. "Any substance that eliminates pain moves qi" Hence is a Qi mover.(/xue)2. Can I further say that you believe that "Any substance thateliminates pain moves qi (in the area of the pain)."3. Further "any process or action that eliminates pain moves qi (in thearea of pain)"First, I can currently only agree with the 1st statement in the sensethat all substances and actions move qi somewhere on some level. But Icannot see how any substance that eliminates pain moves the qi in thearea of pain therefore eliminating the pain. (see previous post)Secondly, I am unsure I have ever read the above assumptions in CMliterature, and don't know if logic supports them. But let's assumethat somewhere is CM it is supported.Also there are many CM herbs that deal with pain and are not actuallysaid to move qi. Is this assumed? I personally (in this case) see no reason we must stay confinedstrictly to a CM perspective, because looking at it from a westernunderstanding is precisely the point. I am challenging the basic'supposed statement of fact' or assumption based on the statement offact (see above). Personally I believe there are no facts. So let'sstart from the premise that the statement previously mentioned aboutpain is a theory or idea in CM. I think that with any theory, newunderstanding of a given system, can either support or change it. I am suggesting that with modern understanding the abovestatements might not be adequate. I don't think there is any debate thatChinese medical history is filled with examples of theories that did notpan out or have been updated with 'new' understanding or 'new' beliefsor concepts. And as far as integrated understanding of ideas, I thoughtthis was precisely the point in discussing benadryl, a combinedapproach. I am not ready to except anything as a fact, especially whenkept within its original system. AS the Chinese are currently doing, letus challenge this idea from a modern (possibly more enhanced/ thorough)understanding of pain in relation to medicinals / substances given toalter pain. Interestingly it seems (CM) qi regulators move qi and eliminatepain in specific areas. Morphine, for example, has a systemic action. Quite possibly since TCM had no substances as strong as morphine thisled to a slightly pedant view of pain and qi. This discussion begs anunderstanding of not only qi but pain from a CM and western perspective,Ken? Finally as a side exercise then, (in a completely CM system) letus explain morphine as a qi regulator. Comments? -> > pemachophel2001 [pemachophel2001]> Monday, December 31, 2001 9:24 AM> > Re: Qi regulation> > Jason,> > Conceptually, I think you're mixing apples and oranges. When thinking> in terms of CM, I would suggest you need to stay within the system. I> acknowledge this is not always easy for us Westerners who are pickled> in Western biomedicine, but, in my experience, it is the key to> superior CM.> > Bob> > , "" <@o...> wrote:> > B.Flaws (?) said something in the Benadryl discussions like:> Benadryl> > must have a qi regulating effect due to its ability to eliminate> pain.> > (Correct me if I'm wrong, I can't find the post). It seems, though,> > that many peoples' beliefs are very close to this- 'If a medicinal> stops> > pain it MUST regulate qi/ xue'. I question this (I am not saying> > Benadryl does not reg qi). What I wonder about are substances or> > (processes) that might just interfere with the nervous system/> receptor> > sites (or whatever) and just block a sensation of the pain, but not> > actually move any qi at all. The pain or pathological process/> lesion> > can be completely unchanged but one's perception might instantly> change> > due to administration of i.e. morphine (or something similar) Is the> qi> > being moved? If Qi is being moved, thus preventing the pain,> shouldn't> > the person show signs of healing in that area? Obviously when> powerful> > drugs wear off many times nothing has changed, and they are at> square> > one. If all this is true, understanding herbs in this way that> > eliminate pain/ (move qi/xue) would be very worthwhile. IS a given> herb> > actually moving qi, as traditional thought might suggest, or just> > masking some sensation. Yan hu suo might fall into the latter> category.> > So where there is pain there is stagnation, but can we backwards> travel> > and say if pain ceases then qi/xue must have moved. I am not sure.> We> > probably will have to discuss the nature of pain..> > One might question how accurate a gauge pain is to determine> the> > degree of stagnation. How do we explain 2 people with the same> injury,> > one is screaming with their pain 9 of 10, another feels nothing.> This> > might be important due to our current trend of attributing many> chronic> > and aging diseases to stagnation. IS the notion of "where there is> > pain, there is stagnation" an oversimplified statement? What does> this> > really mean? And when we eliminate pain what have we really done?> > Comments?> >> > -> Chinese Herbal Medicine, a voluntary organization of licensed healthcare practitioners, matriculated students and postgraduate academics specializing in Chinese Herbal Medicine, provides a variety of professional services, including board approved online continuing education.

Guest guest

Jason,

CM is a system, and, as a system, it only holds together when the

elements of that system are manipulated in a self-consistent way.

While CM and WM both describe the same body, they do so starting from

very different premises (i.e., statements of fact). According to

systems theory, if you try to reduce or describe one system in terms

of a second, dissimilar system, one of the two systems fall apart and

must be misrepresented. Therefore, what I was suggesting was that,

when thinking with CM, one needs to stick within the system in a

self-consistent way.

Assumption one is not quite right. This again has to do with the

Chinese language. What Chinese medicine says is that, " If there is

pain, there is no free flow. " Lack of free flow (tong) may be due to

stasis, stagnation, and impediment. However, it may also be due to

vacuity and insufficiency. Therefore, " any substance which eliminates

pain " does not necessarily move the qi. Qi-moving is a technical

concept in CM as understood in Chinese. Depending on the pattern of

pain, pain may be treated with qi-supplements, blood-nourishers,

yin-enrichers, and yang-invigorators. While the net result may be the

re-eastablishment of free flow and, therefore, the elimination of

pain, categorically in CM, this is not also based on the principle of

moving the qi (xing qi).

That being said, no, I do not believe nor does the literature suggest

that any substance which eliminates pain moves the qi.

Bob

, " " <@o...> wrote:

> Bob,

>

> Could you explain exactly why we cannot supposedly mix these

> 'apples and oranges'? And what exactly are the apples and oranges?

>

> Your (assumed) statements: (Based on: where there is pain there is

lack

> of flow): (correct me if I am wrong)

>

> 1. " Any substance that eliminates pain moves qi " Hence is a Qi

mover.

> (/xue)

>

> 2. Can I further say that you believe that " Any substance that

> eliminates pain moves qi (in the area of the pain). "

>

> 3. Further " any process or action that eliminates pain moves qi (in

the

> area of pain) "

>

> First, I can currently only agree with the 1st statement in the

sense

> that all substances and actions move qi somewhere on some level.

But I

> cannot see how any substance that eliminates pain moves the qi in

the

> area of pain therefore eliminating the pain. (see previous post)

>

> Secondly, I am unsure I have ever read the above assumptions in CM

> literature, and don't know if logic supports them. But let's assume

> that somewhere is CM it is supported.

>

> Also there are many CM herbs that deal with pain and are not

actually

> said to move qi. Is this assumed?

>

> I personally (in this case) see no reason we must stay

confined

> strictly to a CM perspective, because looking at it from a western

> understanding is precisely the point. I am challenging the basic

> 'supposed statement of fact' or assumption based on the statement of

> fact (see above). Personally I believe there are no facts. So

let's

> start from the premise that the statement previously mentioned about

> pain is a theory or idea in CM. I think that with any theory, new

> understanding of a given system, can either support or change it.

> I am suggesting that with modern understanding the above

> statements might not be adequate. I don't think there is any debate

that

> Chinese medical history is filled with examples of theories that did

not

> pan out or have been updated with 'new' understanding or 'new'

beliefs

> or concepts. And as far as integrated understanding of ideas, I

thought

> this was precisely the point in discussing benadryl, a combined

> approach.

> I am not ready to except anything as a fact, especially when

> kept within its original system. AS the Chinese are currently doing,

let

> us challenge this idea from a modern (possibly more enhanced/

thorough)

> understanding of pain in relation to medicinals / substances given

to

> alter pain.

> Interestingly it seems (CM) qi regulators move qi and

eliminate

> pain in specific areas. Morphine, for example, has a systemic

action.

> Quite possibly since TCM had no substances as strong as morphine

this

> led to a slightly pedant view of pain and qi. This discussion begs

an

> understanding of not only qi but pain from a CM and western

perspective,

> Ken?

>

> Finally as a side exercise then, (in a completely CM system)

let

> us explain morphine as a qi regulator.

>

> Comments?

>

> -

>

> >

> > pemachophel2001 [pemachophel2001]

> > Monday, December 31, 2001 9:24 AM

> >

> > Re: Qi regulation

> >

> > Jason,

> >

> > Conceptually, I think you're mixing apples and oranges. When

thinking

> > in terms of CM, I would suggest you need to stay within the

system. I

> > acknowledge this is not always easy for us Westerners who are

pickled

> > in Western biomedicine, but, in my experience, it is the key to

> > superior CM.

> >

> > Bob

> >

> > , " " <@o...>

wrote:

> > > B.Flaws (?) said something in the Benadryl discussions like:

> > Benadryl

> > > must have a qi regulating effect due to its ability to eliminate

> > pain.

> > > (Correct me if I'm wrong, I can't find the post). It seems,

though,

> > > that many peoples' beliefs are very close to this- 'If a

medicinal

> > stops

> > > pain it MUST regulate qi/ xue'. I question this (I am not saying

> > > Benadryl does not reg qi). What I wonder about are substances or

> > > (processes) that might just interfere with the nervous system/

> > receptor

> > > sites (or whatever) and just block a sensation of the pain, but

not

> > > actually move any qi at all. The pain or pathological process/

> > lesion

> > > can be completely unchanged but one's perception might instantly

> > change

> > > due to administration of i.e. morphine (or something similar) Is

the

> > qi

> > > being moved? If Qi is being moved, thus preventing the pain,

> > shouldn't

> > > the person show signs of healing in that area? Obviously when

> > powerful

> > > drugs wear off many times nothing has changed, and they are at

> > square

> > > one. If all this is true, understanding herbs in this way that

> > > eliminate pain/ (move qi/xue) would be very worthwhile. IS a

given

> > herb

> > > actually moving qi, as traditional thought might suggest, or

just

> > > masking some sensation. Yan hu suo might fall into the latter

> > category.

> > > So where there is pain there is stagnation, but can we backwards

> > travel

> > > and say if pain ceases then qi/xue must have moved. I am not

sure.

> > We

> > > probably will have to discuss the nature of pain..

> > > One might question how accurate a gauge pain is to determine

> > the

> > > degree of stagnation. How do we explain 2 people with the same

> > injury,

> > > one is screaming with their pain 9 of 10, another feels nothing.

> > This

> > > might be important due to our current trend of attributing many

> > chronic

> > > and aging diseases to stagnation. IS the notion of " where there

is

> > > pain, there is stagnation " an oversimplified statement? What

does

> > this

> > > really mean? And when we eliminate pain what have we really

done?

> > > Comments?

> > >

> > > -

> >

Guest guest

Personally I believe there are no facts.

>>>That is why I have also brought up my experience with "Acutely induced pain" which is a completely different animal than chronic pain. While much data suggest that states of anxiety (and thus all of Bob's analytical explanation of sensitivity can be correct in some patients) leads to greater sensitivity to pain, clinical experience however also shows that the experience of pain is probably one of the most complex and poorly understood human experiences (ask any OB as to experience in delivery of example, or look at studies on pain at different cultures). When one talks about such things as statement of fact etc., then there can not be exceptions. We then must be careful and be able to show that in fact that is the case (a bit of mix of apples and orange here i know).

I understands Bob's view that one should think within a system i.e. think in TCM while talking or especially when using its modalities in treatment. However, I also feel very strongly that after doing 20 yr. of TCM there is nothing wrong with integrating thoughts. Especially when doing just that, one finds that truth is in the eye of the beholder too often. I especially recommend this to people that like to explore TCM's pathomechanics with their infinite possibilities. They often sound reasonable, fascinating deep, but clinically completely irrelevant, until after the clinical experiment is complete i.e. outcome.

alon

-

Tuesday, January 01, 2002 8:00 PM

RE: Re: Qi regulation

Bob, Could you explain exactly why we cannot supposedly mix these'apples and oranges'? And what exactly are the apples and oranges?Your (assumed) statements: (Based on: where there is pain there is lackof flow): (correct me if I am wrong)1. "Any substance that eliminates pain moves qi" Hence is a Qi mover.(/xue)2. Can I further say that you believe that "Any substance thateliminates pain moves qi (in the area of the pain)."3. Further "any process or action that eliminates pain moves qi (in thearea of pain)"First, I can currently only agree with the 1st statement in the sensethat all substances and actions move qi somewhere on some level. But Icannot see how any substance that eliminates pain moves the qi in thearea of pain therefore eliminating the pain. (see previous post)Secondly, I am unsure I have ever read the above assumptions in CMliterature, and don't know if logic supports them. But let's assumethat somewhere is CM it is supported.Also there are many CM herbs that deal with pain and are not actuallysaid to move qi. Is this assumed? I personally (in this case) see no reason we must stay confinedstrictly to a CM perspective, because looking at it from a westernunderstanding is precisely the point. I am challenging the basic'supposed statement of fact' or assumption based on the statement offact (see above). Personally I believe there are no facts. So let'sstart from the premise that the statement previously mentioned aboutpain is a theory or idea in CM. I think that with any theory, newunderstanding of a given system, can either support or change it. I am suggesting that with modern understanding the abovestatements might not be adequate. I don't think there is any debate thatChinese medical history is filled with examples of theories that did notpan out or have been updated with 'new' understanding or 'new' beliefsor concepts. And as far as integrated understanding of ideas, I thoughtthis was precisely the point in discussing benadryl, a combinedapproach. I am not ready to except anything as a fact, especially whenkept within its original system. AS the Chinese are currently doing, letus challenge this idea from a modern (possibly more enhanced/ thorough)understanding of pain in relation to medicinals / substances given toalter pain. Interestingly it seems (CM) qi regulators move qi and eliminatepain in specific areas. Morphine, for example, has a systemic action. Quite possibly since TCM had no substances as strong as morphine thisled to a slightly pedant view of pain and qi. This discussion begs anunderstanding of not only qi but pain from a CM and western perspective,Ken? Finally as a side exercise then, (in a completely CM system) letus explain morphine as a qi regulator. Comments? -> > pemachophel2001 [pemachophel2001]> Monday, December 31, 2001 9:24 AM> > Re: Qi regulation> > Jason,> > Conceptually, I think you're mixing apples and oranges. When thinking> in terms of CM, I would suggest you need to stay within the system. I> acknowledge this is not always easy for us Westerners who are pickled> in Western biomedicine, but, in my experience, it is the key to> superior CM.> > Bob> > , "" <@o...> wrote:> > B.Flaws (?) said something in the Benadryl discussions like:> Benadryl> > must have a qi regulating effect due to its ability to eliminate> pain.> > (Correct me if I'm wrong, I can't find the post). It seems, though,> > that many peoples' beliefs are very close to this- 'If a medicinal> stops> > pain it MUST regulate qi/ xue'. I question this (I am not saying> > Benadryl does not reg qi). What I wonder about are substances or> > (processes) that might just interfere with the nervous system/> receptor> > sites (or whatever) and just block a sensation of the pain, but not> > actually move any qi at all. The pain or pathological process/> lesion> > can be completely unchanged but one's perception might instantly> change> > due to administration of i.e. morphine (or something similar) Is the> qi> > being moved? If Qi is being moved, thus preventing the pain,> shouldn't> > the person show signs of healing in that area? Obviously when> powerful> > drugs wear off many times nothing has changed, and they are at> square> > one. If all this is true, understanding herbs in this way that> > eliminate pain/ (move qi/xue) would be very worthwhile. IS a given> herb> > actually moving qi, as traditional thought might suggest, or just> > masking some sensation. Yan hu suo might fall into the latter> category.> > So where there is pain there is stagnation, but can we backwards> travel> > and say if pain ceases then qi/xue must have moved. I am not sure.> We> > probably will have to discuss the nature of pain..> > One might question how accurate a gauge pain is to determine> the> > degree of stagnation. How do we explain 2 people with the same> injury,> > one is screaming with their pain 9 of 10, another feels nothing.> This> > might be important due to our current trend of attributing many> chronic> > and aging diseases to stagnation. IS the notion of "where there is> > pain, there is stagnation" an oversimplified statement? What does> this> > really mean? And when we eliminate pain what have we really done?> > Comments?> >> > -> Chinese Herbal Medicine, a voluntary organization of licensed healthcare practitioners, matriculated students and postgraduate academics specializing in Chinese Herbal Medicine, provides a variety of professional services, including board approved online continuing education.

Guest guest

, " dragon90405 " <yulong@m...> wrote:

> Bob,

>

> I would argue that despite the correctness

> of the bulk of your comments on pain, there

> is a basic misapplication of theory at work

> here. This gets at Alon's question as to

> what differences can be attained from looking

> into the language and its relationship to

> the thought that has gone into the development

> of medical theory, strategy, methods, and

> substances over the centuries.

>

> I'll go through your statements as carefully

> as I can, but I want to preface those detailed

> comments with a general one. Despite the

> fact of the definite and characteristic structure

> of the theories of Chinese medicine, and here

> I am thinking of Unschuld's phrase, the medicine

> of systematic correspondence, there is no

> statemnt, assertion, presumption or requirement

> that any part of theory or indeed the whole

> body of theory ever apply to any particular

> situation or circumstance.

>

> Theory in Chinese medicine is not a collation

> of laws, but rather the aggregation of long

> and careful observations of phenomena. The

> phenomena themselves are first and last and

> always considered as being of senior importance,

> so to speak, and always take precedence over

> theory.

>

> That is to say, Chinese medical theories ought

> never be stretched and bent to match situations.

> They function best when they reveal to the user

> a pattern of predictable relationships and dynamics

> that when found to be present not only confirm the

> theoretical presumptions but open a doorway to

> intervention.

>

> When no such match occurs or is found, the

> basic theoretical principle is: use another theory.

> The effort to adapt a theory to a situation or,

> perhaps worse, to adapt a situation to a theory,

> is needless because there is no presumption that

> anything at all about theory is true or applicable

> to any given situation. We do, after all, live

> in a fairly unpredictable universe, our tendency

> to represent it as orderly and well understood notwithstanding.

> Despite the very best formulations of human theorizing

> about nature, it is nature that always has a surprise

> or two in store for humans.

>

> Chinese philosophy recognizes the relative importance

> of theory to reality, for example in the passage

> from Chapter 25 of the Dao De Jing that states that

> there are four phenomena of greatness in the world

> and that mankind is one of them. Man follows the earth.

> The earth follows heaven. Heaven follows the dao4.

> And dao4 follows things themselves (i.e. nature).

>

> I would argue that the dao4 of medicine relies

> upon this same set of greatnesses.

>

>

Ken,

I completely agree that different (even antithetical) theories in CM

medicine are used to describe different situations. However, I'm not

aware of lots of different theories about pain.

> >

> > There is a single statement about pain in CM which is bedrock

> theory.

> > If there is pain, there is no free flow (tong ze bu tong).

>

> I'm at a disadvantage at the moment

> of having no dictionary to hand. Can

> you clarify what these terms are?

>

> I'm presuming that you're referring to

> the old saying that says:

>

> tong1 ze2 bu2 tong4

> tong4 ze2 bu2 tong1

>

> where there's connection there's no pain

> where there's pain there's no connection

>

> If this is correct and the first tong is jiao1 tong1

> de tong1, then the word " flow " is an

> interprative translation that, while

> not at all incorrect, emphasizes one

> particular aspect of the concept of

> tong1, flow, and overlooks a more basic

> and I believe in this instance relevant

> sense of the word, i.e. to connect. Now, it might

> be argued that the implications of

> " connection " include the provision

> of a pathway for " flow " , but the two

> English words clearly mean something

> different from each other. If we're talking

> about the same phrase, if it's the tong1 that I'm

> thinking of, then I'd suggest the connection

> idea over the idea of flow. From the perspective of

> trying to identify a generalized etiology

> of " pain, " therefore, we might be guided

> to conclude that the phrase you've cited

> means that pain results from broken or

> missing connections in the body, i.e.

> things that should be in touch, in communication

> and interchange with each other are not,

> hence, pain.

I agree tong may be translated as " connection " as opposed to free

flow. However, I suggest we need to query several native

Chinese-speaking practitioners of CM and ask them which of these two

translations in their opinion fits best here. I'm going to be

surprised if they say connect or communication. Communication seems

way too abstract here and does not, to my mind, provide a definite,

concrete, visualizable mechanism for the causation of pain. Further,

would the majority of Chinese CM practitioners characterize the most

famous CM medicinals for the treatment of pain as being " connectors "

or " flow-freers " ? I'm thinking here of meds such as Chuan Xiong, Yan

Hu Suo, Mu Xiang, Ru Xiang, Mo Yao, Bai Zhi, etc.

This is one place where your penchant for more metaphysical,

philosophical definitions of CM terms seems a bit guo fen.

>

> That means

> > that any and all pain has to do with a lack of free flow. When one

> > puts a needle in a patient's body and there is a sensation of

pain,

> > that means that, for as long as the pain is felt, there is some

> > blockage of the free flow. If the pain is just a sharp, transient

> > prick as the needle pierces the skin, I would interpret this as a

> > transient blackage of the movement of the exterior defensive (wai

> > wei) and the blood in the sun luo or grandchild network vessels.

>

> Well, you're certainly dead on when you

> mention later on that there are multiple layers

> to this discussion. I find pain to be one

> of the most challenging concepts in medicine.

>

> Not the least of the challenges involved in

> understanding and dealing with pain is the

> fact of its highly subjective nature. One

> individual's pain is another's pleasure and

> vice versa.

Again, let's keep this common sense. People have been talking about

" injuries, " presumably such as stubbing one's toe or cutting oneself.

I completely agree that the sensation of pain is different from

invidual to individual. But what we have been talking about is why, in

CM terms, some people seem to experience pain more acutely than

others.

But however a person experiences

> and defines and talks about their pain, I

> would stress that rather than assume that

> " any and all pain has to do with a lack of free flow "

> we might be more accurate to consider that

> in the clinical assessment of symptomatic pain,

> we can expect to find productive means of

> intervention if we look for broken connections.

>

> I would further suggest that one of the

> problems with Yuri's question is that it

> does not clearly identify what he wants

> to contrast and that you end up comparing

> two class of phenomena which are not, strictly

> speaking comparable. When an acupuncture needle

> is inserted, according to the theory of

> de2 qi4, there will be one or more sensations

> that occur, signalling the " arrival of qi4. "

>

> De2 qi4 sensations are not really categorized

> in the same way as symptomatic pains and therefore

> trying to describe or explain them with the

> theory of pain results in a misfit. This is not

> to say that during acupuncture a patient may

> not experience pain of the category that

> would fit into symptomatic pains and therefore

> be properly addressed with the theory you

> mention. But this would tend to be viewed

> as diverging from the norms of clinical

> experience, i.e. an adverse perhaps even

> iatrogenic response.

>

> The acculturation to Chinese medicine is nowhere

> more well illustrated in my experience than

> this very subject of pain and especially

> sensations associated with de2 qi4. When I

> first got to China and for a few years at

> least, I was repeatedly amazed to find

> patients in the clinic who begged for

> and demanded stronger sensation from the

> needle. The image remains vivid with me

> until today of an elderly woman sitting

> in front of me while I inserted a big

> Chinese needle into her face, berating

> me for being a weakling and insisting

> that I give her some zhang1 sensation

> at once or she was going to get the

> nice young Chinese intern to treat her.

I completely agree with what you've just said. Mea culpa. I should

never have used acupuncture as an example of pain. The de qi sensation

is, according to Chinese, ipso facto, bu tong, not pain. I completely

agree. However, the sharp sting of the needle piercing the skin, if it

is felt, is pain according to Chinese, and, therefore, might still be

game for a putative CM descriptioin.

>

> Here we come to a crossing of some of

> the many layers that you cautioned about.

> An typical American patient receiving

> acupuncture would be halfway to their

> lawyer's office with dreams of retiring

> on the proceeds from the malpractice suit

> that they could press after having been

> treated with 1/10th the sensation that

> this little old woman had already reported.

>

> Pain is not only a highly personal and

> subjective things, but the pathways that

> lead to this highly individualized reality

> of pain are intricately woven into cultural

> fabrics that patients grow in and with.

>

> Here it might be worth mentioning that

> the multiple meanings of a word like " tong1 "

> imparts a flexibility and adaptive quality

> to the Chinese written language which this

> type of theory exploits. That is to say

> that the flexibility of mind that is rooted

> in the way we understand Chinese words extends

> to the way that we apply theoretical principles

> built from such linguistic building blocks.

>

> I believe it is this flexibility and adaptive

> quality of the language that some tend to

> incorrectly interpret as meaning or implying

> that there can never be standard translations.

> To the contrary, this kind of flexibility has

> always carried with it a commensurate set of

> restrictions and guidelines for how meaning

> is to be gotten from words and terms and

> phrases. There is thus both an enormous

> amount of freedom as well as restraint with which

> one must become conversant in order to construct

> adequate personal understanding of the words

> and the theories, which are when all is said

> and done, just collections of words.

>

> >

> > If it is a more long-lasting aching and soreness, then I would

> > interpret this as the needle's stimulation of an accumulation of

qi

> in

> > the area. As long as the aching and soreness are felt, the qi in

> that

> > area is not completely free-flowing. I think one can visualize

this

> as

> > building up pressure in an area which eventually becomes so great

> as

> > to burst through whatever blockage may be impeding free flow.

>

> I don't agree with this, and again I think

> its fault lies in being rigidly bound to

> a single intrepretation of what qi4 means

> as it " flows " through the body. This

> characterization presumes as well as

> assigns an " energy-like " nature of qi4,

> as if it were entirely substantive.

>

> In a

> > sense, we are creating a temporary lack of free flow in order to

> build

> > up pressure to break through a pathological free flow. (I've never

> > expressed this before. So I hope you get what I mean.)

>

> I see the logic of what you're saying, but

> I once again find the underlying presumptions

> to be unsound precisely at the level of what

> qi4 is.

If qi is not something that flows through the channels and network

vessels, why did the Chinese take such great effects to choose words

and consciously liken it to river, streams, canals, etc.? Further, it

is Chinese themselves who speak of liu2 qi4, the flow of qi, as in

Gong Ding-xian's famous formula Shi Liu Wei Liu Qi Yin (Sixteen

Flavors Flow the Qi Drink). The definitions of liu in The Pinyin

Chinese-English Dictionary are: 1) flow (as in the river flows east);

2)moving from place to place; 3) spread, circulate; 4) change for th

worse, degenrate; 5) banish, send into exile; 6) as a noun, a stream

of water; 7)something resembling a stream of water; 8)class, rate,

grade. If this dictionary is not scholarly enough, Matthews gives:

1) to flow, to drift, to circulate; 2) a current; 3) to descend; 4)

unstable, weak.

> >

> > But we need to be careful here. There are two issues that appear

to

> > be conflated in your response to my posting. One is the production

> of

> > pain and the other is the sensation of pain. These are not one and

> the

> > same thing. As stated above, pain is the subjective sensation of

> lack

> > of free flow. However, as well all know, some people are more or

> less

> > sensative to pain.

>

> Yeah. Absolutely. I think there are far more than

> just two issues.

>

> As I said yesterday, sensation is a function of qi.

> > I believe that those who are more sensitive have more easily

> stirred

> > spirit qi than others.

>

> I'm still not clear what this means.

> Can you elaborate?

Sensation, as a function of consciousness, is a function of the spirit

brilliance which is nothing other than the conscious functions of the

spirit qi. For qi to function normally, it must move. Movement/moving

is one of the defining characteristics of qi (along with

warmth/warming, transforming, defending, and containing in the sense

of holding and securing). If the spirit qi is blocked or hindered from

moving, its function is decreased or lowered. In terms of sensation,

this may cause lack or diminishment of sensation. As an extension of

this, I was possiting that, based on my clinical experience, those who

are more sensitive than others to physical pain seem to me to be those

in whom their spirit qi tends to be bu an, disquieted. Disquieted (bu

an) and frenetically stirring appear to me to be synonyms in the CM

psychiatric literature, although there does seem to be some

quantitative difference in meaning. Nevertheless, even in CM

gyncecology, there is the identification with disquiet with abnormal,

i.e., excessive, stirring (as in tai dong bu an). Based on this line

of thought, I then suggested several mechanisms which cause disquiet

and stirring of the spirit qi.

>

> Then I went on to suggest two or three basic

> > mechanisms for some people's spirit qi being more easily stirred.

> >

> > So what we have here is a multi-leveled discussion, and I think

> it's

> > important to keep the various sections of this discussion

separate.

> > However, I only know of one definitive statement in Chinese

> medicine

> > about pain regardless of the type of pain that is under

discussion.

> > " If there is pain, there is no free flow. " If one accepts that

> basic

> > premise, what I refer to as a CM statement of fact, then one must

> > discuss all types and instances of pain in terms of CM in the

light

> of

> > that basic premise.

>

> But again, we ought not use theories designed

> to diagnose clinical, symptomatic pains to understand

> the mechanism, causes, importance, and use of

> de2 qi4 sensations.

I agree my choice of examples was inappropriate. I did definitely

forget that, in Chinese, de qi is " not pain, " I picked that example

because I assumed we all had lots of experience with different

patients' sensitivity to needles and even the Nei Jing discusses that

difference. So I was looking for a shared experience. However, I still

think my overall explanation differences of sensitivity to pain is a

potentially correct and useful CM one. For sure, this is only my own

ratiocination, and it would be interesting if a number of " old Chinese

doctors " (lao zhong yi) looked it over and critiqued it.

>

> I suspect that there are several interpretations

> out there of these phenomena, terms, etc., and

> I by no means consider that my understanding is

> complete. I'll appreciate reading what you or

> others have to add, correct, and so on.

>

>

> Ken

Guest guest

Jim,

I have never seen the word tong4, pain, used to describe emotional

suffering in a Chinese language CM source. Typically, this is

described as ku2, bitterness, or the specific negative emotion is

named. Personally, I would not apply the saying about pain to

emotional suffering. To me, that would be out of context.

Bob

, " jramholz " <jramholz> wrote:

> Ken:

>

> Would this also apply to emotional pain in respect to 5-Phases?

>

> Jim Ramholz

>

>

>

>

> > tong1 ze2 bu2 tong4

> > tong4 ze2 bu2 tong1

> >

> >

> > If this is correct and the first tong is jiao1 tong1

> > de tong1, then the word " flow " is an

> > interprative translation that, while

> > not at all incorrect, emphasizes one

> > particular aspect of the concept of

> > tong1, flow, and overlooks a more basic

> > and I believe in this instance relevant

> > sense of the word, i.e. to connect. Now, it might

> > be argued that the implications of

> > " connection " include the provision

> > of a pathway for " flow " , but the two

> > English words clearly mean something

> > different from each other. If we're talking

> > about the same phrase, if it's the tong1 that I'm

> > thinking of, then I'd suggest the connection

> > idea over the idea of flow. From the perspective of

> > trying to identify a generalized etiology

> > of " pain, "

Guest guest

I believe it is this flexibility and adaptivequality of the language that some tend toincorrectly interpret as meaning or implyingthat there can never be standard translations.To the contrary, this kind of flexibility hasalways carried with it a commensurate set ofrestrictions and guidelines for how meaningis to be gotten from words and terms andphrases. There is thus both an enormousamount of freedom as well as restraint with which one must become conversant in order to constructadequate personal understanding of the wordsand the theories, which are when all is saidand done, just collections of words.>>>>Ken,

Thank you very interesting. I would suggest then that we should write free flow/connection/.......what ever is applicable. Connection however is very interesting because it integrates better with many modern theories on pain

Alon

-

dragon90405

Tuesday, January 01, 2002 10:20 PM

Bob,I would argue that despite the correctnessof the bulk of your comments on pain, thereis a basic misapplication of theory at workhere. This gets at Alon's question as towhat differences can be attained from lookinginto the language and its relationship tothe thought that has gone into the developmentof medical theory, strategy, methods, andsubstances over the centuries.I'll go through your statements as carefullyas I can, but I want to preface those detailedcomments with a general one. Despite thefact of the definite and characteristic structureof the theories of Chinese medicine, and hereI am thinking of Unschuld's phrase, the medicineof systematic correspondence, there is nostatemnt, assertion, presumption or requirementthat any part of theory or indeed the wholebody of theory ever apply to any particularsituation or circumstance.Theory in Chinese medicine is not a collationof laws, but rather the aggregation of longand careful observations of phenomena. Thephenomena themselves are first and last andalways considered as being of senior importance,so to speak, and always take precedence overtheory.That is to say, Chinese medical theories oughtnever be stretched and bent to match situations.They function best when they reveal to the usera pattern of predictable relationships and dynamicsthat when found to be present not only confirm thetheoretical presumptions but open a doorway tointervention.When no such match occurs or is found, thebasic theoretical principle is: use another theory.The effort to adapt a theory to a situation or,perhaps worse, to adapt a situation to a theory,is needless because there is no presumption thatanything at all about theory is true or applicableto any given situation. We do, after all, livein a fairly unpredictable universe, our tendencyto represent it as orderly and well understood notwithstanding.Despite the very best formulations of human theorizingabout nature, it is nature that always has a surpriseor two in store for humans.Chinese philosophy recognizes the relative importanceof theory to reality, for example in the passagefrom Chapter 25 of the Dao De Jing that states that there are four phenomena of greatness in the worldand that mankind is one of them. Man follows the earth.The earth follows heaven. Heaven follows the dao4.And dao4 follows things themselves (i.e. nature).I would argue that the dao4 of medicine reliesupon this same set of greatnesses.> > There is a single statement about pain in CM which is bedrock theory. > If there is pain, there is no free flow (tong ze bu tong).I'm at a disadvantage at the momentof having no dictionary to hand. Canyou clarify what these terms are?I'm presuming that you're referring tothe old saying that says:tong1 ze2 bu2 tong4tong4 ze2 bu2 tong1where there's connection there's no painwhere there's pain there's no connectionIf this is correct and the first tong is jiao1 tong1de tong1, then the word "flow" is aninterprative translation that, whilenot at all incorrect, emphasizes oneparticular aspect of the concept oftong1, flow, and overlooks a more basicand I believe in this instance relevantsense of the word, i.e. to connect. Now, it mightbe argued that the implications of"connection" include the provisionof a pathway for "flow", but the twoEnglish words clearly mean somethingdifferent from each other. If we're talkingabout the same phrase, if it's the tong1 that I'mthinking of, then I'd suggest the connectionidea over the idea of flow. From the perspective oftrying to identify a generalized etiologyof "pain," therefore, we might be guidedto conclude that the phrase you've citedmeans that pain results from broken ormissing connections in the body, i.e.things that should be in touch, in communicationand interchange with each other are not,hence, pain.That means > that any and all pain has to do with a lack of free flow. When one > puts a needle in a patient's body and there is a sensation of pain, > that means that, for as long as the pain is felt, there is some > blockage of the free flow. If the pain is just a sharp, transient > prick as the needle pierces the skin, I would interpret this as a > transient blackage of the movement of the exterior defensive (wai > wei) and the blood in the sun luo or grandchild network vessels. Well, you're certainly dead on when youmention later on that there are multiple layersto this discussion. I find pain to be oneof the most challenging concepts in medicine.Not the least of the challenges involved inunderstanding and dealing with pain is thefact of its highly subjective nature. Oneindividual's pain is another's pleasure andvice versa. But however a person experiencesand defines and talks about their pain, I would stress that rather than assume that"any and all pain has to do with a lack of free flow"we might be more accurate to consider thatin the clinical assessment of symptomatic pain,we can expect to find productive means ofintervention if we look for broken connections.I would further suggest that one of theproblems with Yuri's question is that itdoes not clearly identify what he wantsto contrast and that you end up comparingtwo class of phenomena which are not, strictlyspeaking comparable. When an acupuncture needleis inserted, according to the theory ofde2 qi4, there will be one or more sensationsthat occur, signalling the "arrival of qi4."De2 qi4 sensations are not really categorizedin the same way as symptomatic pains and thereforetrying to describe or explain them with thetheory of pain results in a misfit. This is notto say that during acupuncture a patient maynot experience pain of the category thatwould fit into symptomatic pains and thereforebe properly addressed with the theory youmention. But this would tend to be viewedas diverging from the norms of clinicalexperience, i.e. an adverse perhaps eveniatrogenic response.The acculturation to Chinese medicine is nowheremore well illustrated in my experience thanthis very subject of pain and especiallysensations associated with de2 qi4. When Ifirst got to China and for a few years atleast, I was repeatedly amazed to findpatients in the clinic who begged forand demanded stronger sensation from theneedle. The image remains vivid with meuntil today of an elderly woman sittingin front of me while I inserted a bigChinese needle into her face, beratingme for being a weakling and insisting that I give her some zhang1 sensationat once or she was going to get thenice young Chinese intern to treat her.Here we come to a crossing of some ofthe many layers that you cautioned about.An typical American patient receivingacupuncture would be halfway to theirlawyer's office with dreams of retiringon the proceeds from the malpractice suitthat they could press after having beentreated with 1/10th the sensation thatthis little old woman had already reported.Pain is not only a highly personal andsubjective things, but the pathways thatlead to this highly individualized realityof pain are intricately woven into culturalfabrics that patients grow in and with.Here it might be worth mentioning thatthe multiple meanings of a word like "tong1"imparts a flexibility and adaptive qualityto the Chinese written language which thistype of theory exploits. That is to say that the flexibility of mind that is rootedin the way we understand Chinese words extendsto the way that we apply theoretical principlesbuilt from such linguistic building blocks.I believe it is this flexibility and adaptivequality of the language that some tend toincorrectly interpret as meaning or implyingthat there can never be standard translations.To the contrary, this kind of flexibility hasalways carried with it a commensurate set ofrestrictions and guidelines for how meaningis to be gotten from words and terms andphrases. There is thus both an enormousamount of freedom as well as restraint with which one must become conversant in order to constructadequate personal understanding of the wordsand the theories, which are when all is saidand done, just collections of words.> > If it is a more long-lasting aching and soreness, then I would > interpret this as the needle's stimulation of an accumulation of qi in > the area. As long as the aching and soreness are felt, the qi in that > area is not completely free-flowing. I think one can visualize this as > building up pressure in an area which eventually becomes so great as > to burst through whatever blockage may be impeding free flow.I don't agree with this, and again I thinkits fault lies in being rigidly bound toa single intrepretation of what qi4 meansas it "flows" through the body. Thischaracterization presumes as well as assigns an "energy-like" nature of qi4, as if it were entirely substantive.In a > sense, we are creating a temporary lack of free flow in order to build > up pressure to break through a pathological free flow. (I've never > expressed this before. So I hope you get what I mean.)I see the logic of what you're saying, butI once again find the underlying presumptionsto be unsound precisely at the level of whatqi4 is.> > But we need to be careful here. There are two issues that appear to > be conflated in your response to my posting. One is the production of > pain and the other is the sensation of pain. These are not one and the > same thing. As stated above, pain is the subjective sensation of lack > of free flow. However, as well all know, some people are more or less > sensative to pain.Yeah. Absolutely. I think there are far more thanjust two issues. As I said yesterday, sensation is a function of qi. > I believe that those who are more sensitive have more easily stirred > spirit qi than others.I'm still not clear what this means.Can you elaborate?Then I went on to suggest two or three basic > mechanisms for some people's spirit qi being more easily stirred.> > So what we have here is a multi-leveled discussion, and I think it's > important to keep the various sections of this discussion separate. > However, I only know of one definitive statement in Chinese medicine > about pain regardless of the type of pain that is under discussion. > "If there is pain, there is no free flow." If one accepts that basic > premise, what I refer to as a CM statement of fact, then one must > discuss all types and instances of pain in terms of CM in the light of > that basic premise.But again, we ought not use theories designedto diagnose clinical, symptomatic pains to understandthe mechanism, causes, importance, and use ofde2 qi4 sensations.I suspect that there are several interpretationsout there of these phenomena, terms, etc., andI by no means consider that my understanding iscomplete. I'll appreciate reading what you orothers have to add, correct, and so on.KenChinese Herbal Medicine, a voluntary organization of licensed healthcare practitioners, matriculated students and postgraduate academics specializing in Chinese Herbal Medicine, provides a variety of professional services, including board approved online continuing education.

Guest guest

Alon,

I don't think the issue is of integrating thoughts. The issue is

seamless integration, in other words, where one follows through in one

train of thought before applying another. TCM pattern differentiation

is a system of logic, and as Bob Flaws points out, applying dissimilar

systems to explain each other leads to one system falling apart

(according to systems theory). We see this quite a bit in modern

approaches such as " New Age " thinking, or eclectic approaches to

alternative medicine. Clinical phenomena are not thought through in one

system completely, leading to a smattering of superficial concepts

thrown together to produce a mythological 'diagnosis'. Look at concepts

such as 'detoxing the liver', and the attempts of some CM practitioners

to do so based on a diagnosis of gan qi zhi/liver qi stagnation or the

like. and then using olive oil, cascara sagrada and lemon juice to do so.

It takes much skill to integrate two medical systems, but it can be

done. Several great Chinese physicians, such as Zhang Xi-chun have

succeeded in doing so. One applies information from one system to

enhance the logic of the other. It is where one draws diagnostic

conclusions that one has to be consistent and hew to one system of

medical logic.

I think Bob's new book, " Treatment of Modern Western Diseases with

" does a very good job of doing so.

On Wednesday, January 2, 2002, at 09:59 AM, ALON MARCUS wrote:

> Personally I believe there are no facts.

>

> I understands Bob's view that one should think within a system i.e.

> think in TCM while talking or especially when using its modalities in

> treatment. However, I also feel very strongly that after doing 20 yr.

> of TCM there is nothing wrong with integrating thoughts. Especially

> when doing just that, one finds that truth is in the eye of the

> beholder too often. I especially recommend this to people that like to

> explore TCM's pathomechanics with their infinite possibilities. They

> often sound reasonable, fascinating deep, but clinically completely

> irrelevant, until after the clinical experiment is complete i.e.

> outcome.

> alon 

>

Guest guest

Bob: Thanks for your response. I was thinking of a number of pulse patterns where flow/connection is inhibited between phases and wondering how to describe it in a way that is accessible from TCM. If you have any other thoughts on these details, I'd be interested to hear them. Jim - pemachophel2001 Wednesday, January 02, 2002 11:35 AM Re: Qi regulation Jim,I have never seen the word tong4, pain, used to describe emotional suffering in a Chinese language CM source. Typically, this is described as ku2, bitterness, or the specific negative emotion is named. Personally, I would not apply the saying about pain to emotional suffering. To me, that would be out of context.Bob , "jramholz" <jramholz> wrote:> Ken:> > Would this also apply to emotional pain in respect to 5-Phases?> > Jim Ramholz> > > > > > tong1 ze2 bu2 tong4> > tong4 ze2 bu2 tong1> > > > where there's connection there's no pain> > where there's pain there's no connection> > > > If this is correct and the first tong is jiao1 tong1> > de tong1, then the word "flow" is an> > interprative translation that, while> > not at all incorrect, emphasizes one> > particular aspect of the concept of> > tong1, flow, and overlooks a more basic> > and I believe in this instance relevant> > sense of the word, i.e. to connect. Now, it might> > be argued that the implications of> > "connection" include the provision> > of a pathway for "flow", but the two> > English words clearly mean something> > different from each other. If we're talking> > about the same phrase, if it's the tong1 that I'm> > thinking of, then I'd suggest the connection> > idea over the idea of flow. From the perspective of> > trying to identify a generalized etiology> > of "pain,"Chinese Herbal Medicine, a voluntary organization of licensed healthcare practitioners, matriculated students and postgraduate academics specializing in Chinese Herbal Medicine, provides a variety of professional services, including board approved online continuing education.

Guest guest

applying dissimilar systems to explain each other leads to one system falling apart

>>>That is not what I am saying. That is a big mistake. I am talking at clinical observations only. When one uses both CM thinking hat and modern biomed one can sometime get a perspective of clinical reality that is not accessible by either one alone. To try and mix Theories is foolish.

Alon

-

Wednesday, January 02, 2002 11:03 AM

Re: Re: Qi regulation

Alon,I don't think the issue is of integrating thoughts. The issue is seamless integration, in other words, where one follows through in one train of thought before applying another. TCM pattern differentiation is a system of logic, and as Bob Flaws points out, applying dissimilar systems to explain each other leads to one system falling apart (according to systems theory). We see this quite a bit in modern approaches such as "New Age" thinking, or eclectic approaches to alternative medicine. Clinical phenomena are not thought through in one system completely, leading to a smattering of superficial concepts thrown together to produce a mythological 'diagnosis'. Look at concepts such as 'detoxing the liver', and the attempts of some CM practitioners to do so based on a diagnosis of gan qi zhi/liver qi stagnation or the like. and then using olive oil, cascara sagrada and lemon juice to do so.It takes much skill to integrate two medical systems, but it can be done. Several great Chinese physicians, such as Zhang Xi-chun have succeeded in doing so. One applies information from one system to enhance the logic of the other. It is where one draws diagnostic conclusions that one has to be consistent and hew to one system of medical logic.I think Bob's new book, "Treatment of Modern Western Diseases with " does a very good job of doing so.On Wednesday, January 2, 2002, at 09:59 AM, ALON MARCUS wrote:

Personally I believe there are no facts.I understands Bob's view that one should think within a system i.e. think in TCM while talking or especially when using its modalities in treatment. However, I also feel very strongly that after doing 20 yr. of TCM there is nothing wrong with integrating thoughts. Especially when doing just that, one finds that truth is in the eye of the beholder too often. I especially recommend this to people that like to explore TCM's pathomechanics with their infinite possibilities. They often sound reasonable, fascinating deep, but clinically completely irrelevant, until after the clinical experiment is complete i.e. outcome.alon

Guest guest

Jim,

I just checked a couple of Chinese dictionaries. The primary meaning

of tong is pain as in stomach pain (i.e., stomachache), throat pain

(as in sore throat), head pain (as in headache), etc. In other words,

physical pain. As a compound term, bei tong (literally sorrow and

pain) means deep sorrow or grief. However, I don't ever remember

seeing this compound term in any Chinese medical literature.

Sorry, I have no idea how to express the pulse images you speak of in

standard CM terminology. Since Korean pulse examination systems were

written about by Koreans in Chinese even relatively lately, I would

think that the CM terminology should knowable. In any case, that's

where I'd go to research that particular question -- Korean medical

books written in Chinese.

Bob

, " OMJournal Ramholz " <OMJournal@m...>

wrote:

> Bob:

>

> Thanks for your response. I was thinking of a number of pulse

patterns where flow/connection is inhibited between phases and

wondering how to describe it in a way that is accessible from TCM. If

you have any other thoughts on these details, I'd be interested to

hear them.

>

> Jim

>

> -

> pemachophel2001

> Wednesday, January 02, 2002 11:35 AM

>

> Re: Qi regulation

>

> Jim,

>

> I have never seen the word tong4, pain, used to describe emotional

> suffering in a Chinese language CM source. Typically, this is

> described as ku2, bitterness, or the specific negative emotion is

> named. Personally, I would not apply the saying about pain to

> emotional suffering. To me, that would be out of context.

>

> Bob

>

> , " jramholz " <jramholz> wrote:

> > Ken:

> >

> > Would this also apply to emotional pain in respect to 5-Phases?

> >

> > Jim Ramholz

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > > tong1 ze2 bu2 tong4

> > > tong4 ze2 bu2 tong1

> > >

> > > where there's connection there's no pain

> > > where there's pain there's no connection

> > >

> > > If this is correct and the first tong is jiao1 tong1

> > > de tong1, then the word " flow " is an

> > > interprative translation that, while

> > > not at all incorrect, emphasizes one

> > > particular aspect of the concept of

> > > tong1, flow, and overlooks a more basic

> > > and I believe in this instance relevant

> > > sense of the word, i.e. to connect. Now, it might

> > > be argued that the implications of

> > > " connection " include the provision

> > > of a pathway for " flow " , but the two

> > > English words clearly mean something

> > > different from each other. If we're talking

> > > about the same phrase, if it's the tong1 that I'm

> > > thinking of, then I'd suggest the connection

> > > idea over the idea of flow. From the perspective of

> > > trying to identify a generalized etiology

> > > of " pain, "

>

>

>

Guest guest

Ken,

I replied to some of your points earlier today. I'm eager to read your

response. However, I will be out of my office all day tomorrow doing a

Leonardo Process for the Blue Poppy 2002 business plan. So I won't be

chiming in again till Friday. I'm very interested in this question of

flow of no flow of the qi and look forward to rejoining the

conversation then.

Bob

, " dragon90405 " <yulong@m...> wrote:

> Jim,

>

> > Would this also apply to emotional pain in respect to 5-Phases?

>

> The issue of emotional pain lies in that

> realm of the manifold layers that Bob Flaws

> cautioned about. So I want to make sure

> that I clearly understand what your intention

> is here.

>

> Does the old saying apply to emotional pain?

>

> Do the points about the diagnosis of pain

> I made apply to emotional pain?

>

> Certainly five phases applies to the

> assessment and treatment of emotional

> pain, since the pain of grief is so

> different from the pain of terror.

> Each affects a different organic

> system according to five phase theory

> and produces different feelings, different

> characteristic changes in qi4.

>

> Just as an aside, I think that not only

> a clearer understanding of Chinese words

> but English words as well can aid in

> the understanding and use of such key

> terms. For example, knowing that the

> Greek root of the English word " pain "

> means " penalty " informs a certain understanding

> of what pain is, particularly when we consider

> that cultural dimension of the experience

> of pain.

>

>

>

> Can you clarify and/or elaborate

> on your question?

>

> Ken

> >

> >

> >

> > > tong1 ze2 bu2 tong4

> > > tong4 ze2 bu2 tong1

> > >

> > > where there's connection there's no pain

> > > where there's pain there's no connection

> > >

> > > If this is correct and the first tong is jiao1 tong1

> > > de tong1, then the word " flow " is an

> > > interprative translation that, while

> > > not at all incorrect, emphasizes one

> > > particular aspect of the concept of

> > > tong1, flow, and overlooks a more basic

> > > and I believe in this instance relevant

> > > sense of the word, i.e. to connect. Now, it might

> > > be argued that the implications of

> > > " connection " include the provision

> > > of a pathway for " flow " , but the two

> > > English words clearly mean something

> > > different from each other. If we're talking

> > > about the same phrase, if it's the tong1 that I'm

> > > thinking of, then I'd suggest the connection

> > > idea over the idea of flow. From the perspective of

> > > trying to identify a generalized etiology

> > > of " pain, "

Guest guest

Bob,

> I completely agree that different (even antithetical) theories in

CM

> medicine are used to describe different situations. However, I'm

not

> aware of lots of different theories about pain.

That wasn't really the point I was making,

but there is indeed a good deal more theoretical

material in Chinese medicine on the subject

of pain. And another series of vivid images

in my memory consist of seeing and hearing

Chinese patients talk about their pains.

Most American patients I've met, when asked

about the quality of their pain, reply with

some version of, " Huh? "

The American acculturation to pain is quite

different from the Chinese. Here I just want

to re-emphasize what I said yesterday about

the highly individual and personal...even

private nature of pain, and about the nontheless

cultural dynamic in how an individual goes

about defining and experiencing pain.

Chinese patients, at least the ones I've met

in Chinese clinics, tend to be quite articulate

about the character and various qualities of

their pain, reflecting the traditional ideas

about what pain is and means. Even the bulk

of them, who could probably not accruately

repeat the theoretical considerations, still

recognize that the precise location, nature,

and behavior of their pain are important

bits of data that the doctor needs to have

in order to complete an accurate diagnosis.

There are various kinds of pain identified by

traditonal theory, and the meaning and implications

of each are indeed quite important in both diagnosis

and treatment.

>

> > >

> > > There is a single statement about pain in CM which is bedrock

> > theory.

> > > If there is pain, there is no free flow (tong ze bu tong).

> >

> > I'm at a disadvantage at the moment

> > of having no dictionary to hand. Can

> > you clarify what these terms are?

> >

> > I'm presuming that you're referring to

> > the old saying that says:

> >

> > tong1 ze2 bu2 tong4

> > tong4 ze2 bu2 tong1

> >

> I agree tong may be translated as " connection " as opposed to free

> flow. However, I suggest we need to query several native

> Chinese-speaking practitioners of CM and ask them which of these

two

> translations in their opinion fits best here.

Well, we can certainly do this. In fact, I

engage in this sort of questioning all the

time. I just gave a talk at the systems

science forum at Beijing Normal University

and one of the things that came up, as it

always seems to, is how I would define qi4

in English with just one word. As I've said

here in the past, I choose the word connectivity

as a starting point to answer that question.

Several of the scientists in the room were

quite familiar with traditional Chinese ideas

and found this choice of words and my rationale

for making it worthy of consideration.

The idea that I've expressed here is not something

that is unique or original to me. It's something

I've learned from my Chinese teachers and students.

Beyond this, I'd say that Chinese experts are

not and really cannot be except in rare cases,

the final arbiters of what a successful translation

is. I believe this requires ratification of native

English speakers who are familiar both with the

source language and its context, the technical

material of the subject, and, of course, their

own native language...as an aboslute minimum set

of requirements.

Many Chinese have adopted altogether wrong English

translations of Chinese words because " that's the

way they do it. " Lacking a deep familiarity with

the ways of the English language, they often do not

even notice the errors until they are pointed out.

I'm going to be

> surprised if they say connect or communication. Communication seems

> way too abstract here and does not, to my mind, provide a definite,

> concrete, visualizable mechanism for the causation of pain.

Well, then it should surprise you to learn that it

was a bunch of Chinese who first taught me that

understanding of qi4 and jing1 luo4 and of the

whole dynamic of traditional Chinese anatomy and

physiology. After all, what connects or fails to

connect?

Qi4.

Like it often is, it is an implied, invisible, i.e.

unstated term in that old sayng.

Further,

> would the majority of Chinese CM practitioners characterize the

most

> famous CM medicinals for the treatment of pain as

being " connectors "

> or " flow-freers " ? I'm thinking here of meds such as Chuan Xiong,

Yan

> Hu Suo, Mu Xiang, Ru Xiang, Mo Yao, Bai Zhi, etc.

Again, many Chinese use whatever terms are

in common use. I'm not talking about usage

patterns. I'm talking about the underlying

concept and the appropriate use of theory

to address pain.

As I said, the idea of flow is not at all wrong.

It is simply one of a number of ideas that

are associated with the word tong1. And if

you translate tong1 as " flow " and do not

include in your explication of " flow "

the more basic and underlying

condition of connectivity or lack thereof,

you leave your readers with an incomplete

sense of the whole Chinese character.

Alon, pay attention to this point if you

want another concrete example of how the

study of Chinese lanaguage can facillitate

the study of Chinese medical theory.

The whole idea includes this notion of the

qi4 being connected or disconnected. The

flow of various things characterizes a

harmonious condition in which the qi4

is well interconnected and

inter-communicating between the various

systems and sub-systems that traditional

anatomy and physiology identify. The

flow is not the qi4 but a characteristic

of qi4...just one. It has other characteristics

and to leave them out is an error.

And I don't think this can be dismissed

as a mere penchant for metaphysical interpretations

of these words and ideas.

It's really not such a far-fetched idea

from a very traditional point of view.

What is the theory of the viscera

and bowels, but a statement of the patterns

of communication between the principal

internal structures and systems of the

body?

>

> This is one place where your penchant for more metaphysical,

> philosophical definitions of CM terms seems a bit guo fen.

Then please draw the limits for me

clearly and help me understand what

you mean.

> >

> > Not the least of the challenges involved in

> > understanding and dealing with pain is the

> > fact of its highly subjective nature. One

> > individual's pain is another's pleasure and

> > vice versa.

>

> Again, let's keep this common sense.

I think it's altogether common sense to

recognize that if you're going to be doing

assessment of pain as part of diagnosis in

traditional Chinese medicine you should keep

in mind that what one person refers to as

pain another would not even stop to consider

as sensation. If you don't maintain this

perspective on pain, you can err in its

evaluation by relating to it as if it were

a static property of people.

People have been talking about

> " injuries, " presumably such as stubbing one's toe or cutting

oneself.

> I completely agree that the sensation of pain is different from

> invidual to individual. But what we have been talking about is why,

in

> CM terms, some people seem to experience pain more acutely than

> others.

I suggest that in CM terms the only meaningful

answer to an individual's experience of pain

is to be found in that individual's own mind,

body, symptoms, statements, etc. This gets

at the same error in orientation of basic

theory that I mentioned before, i.e. the

fitting of situations to theory. Theory

exists to open doors to therapeutic intervention.

It is not really meant as an analytic tool

for abstract reckoning. It's a tool for

for doing work in the clinic.

Trying to come up with a theoretical explanation

of why some people experience pain more acutely

than others leads in the direction of creating

fixed ideas related to pain. Some people are

this way or that way and thus experience pain

more or less acutely. Such conclusions could

lead a clinician to approach people as if they

were expected to fit into one of these patterns.

This is backwards. Patterns have to be taken out,

applied to the patient, set aside if they don't

match, substituted, changed during the course

of treatment, etc. The idea that some people have

more of this or that kind of qi4 and thus experience

pain seems not just limited but limiting to me. But

as I said below, I still haven't fully grasped

your postulates on the subject. I will certainly

continue to think about them.

> If qi is not something that flows through the channels and network

> vessels, why did the Chinese take such great effects to choose

words

> and consciously liken it to river, streams, canals, etc.?

Once again, I didn't say that flow is wrong. Only

that it is incomplete. As to why the Chinese choose

words that consciously liken the changes of qi4 to

those of water, there are several answers that suggest

themselves to me. It's a fascinating question actually.

First, it exemplifies the kind of metaphoric function

of Chinese language that is meant not only as a way

of imparting a good deal of information in just a few

words, but also as a training regimen for the human

mind. Another set of skills, Alon, that study of

the language can help an individual develop.

I find that Chinese classical writing can hardly

ever be taken at face value. There are always layers

of meaning that one has to peel away, peer through,

or otherwise take into consideration. It's another

factor that makes the study of the language both

challenging and rewarding.

Often in dealing with such metaphoric comparisons

in Chinese classical literature, one of the first

decisions that face a reader is how to take it. Is

it, in fact, a metaphor or is it an attempt at a more

concrete description. Of course the same thing holds

for statements that appear to be concrete descriptions.

And the two are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

That is, a full understanding of the text often

results from the reader's merging of the metaphoric

and non-metaphoric senses of the passages in question.

I suggest that the water metaphor for the movements

of qi4 in the body require this kind of hybrid understanding.

They are neither entirely metaphoric nor do they really

attempt to present a concrete image of the movement of

qi4 through the body like rivers and streams. I think

the message, as it so often is with the subject of qi4,

is that it is invisible. It is present. It functions.

But you cannot reach out and grasp it. You can see its

traces, its manifestations; but you cannot see qi4.

One of the big problems in limiting the understanding

of qi4 to strictly " energetic " terms, i.e. to consider

that it is something that flows through the body like

a river or stream, is that this approach naturally leads

one to ask, Well, then where is it? Of course, looking

for something all day long that cannot be seen will not

likely result in seeing it. And this take on qi4 sets us

all up eventually for a very big loss, as sincere investigators,

guided to look for something that cannot be seen, finally

throw up their hands in despair announcing to the world

that it doesn't exist after all.

So I think this is an important point. It's what

motivated us to write A Breif History of Qi4.

Further, it

> is Chinese themselves who speak of liu2 qi4, the flow of qi, as in

> Gong Ding-xian's famous formula Shi Liu Wei Liu Qi Yin (Sixteen

> Flavors Flow the Qi Drink). The definitions of liu in The Pinyin

> Chinese-English Dictionary are: 1) flow (as in the river flows

east);

> 2)moving from place to place; 3) spread, circulate; 4) change for

th

> worse, degenrate; 5) banish, send into exile; 6) as a noun, a

stream

> of water; 7)something resembling a stream of water; 8)class, rate,

> grade. If this dictionary is not scholarly enough, Matthews gives:

> 1) to flow, to drift, to circulate; 2) a current; 3) to descend; 4)

> unstable, weak.

Well, again, flow is not wrong. Nor is it wrong

to want precise verbal definitions. I'm not a

scholar Bob. I'm a writer. I put up a fuss

about the meaning and use of words because

they are my stock in trade. If we don't look

after 'em, who will?

>

> Sensation, as a function of consciousness, is a function of the

spirit

> brilliance which is nothing other than the conscious functions of

the

> spirit qi.

I have now read this sentence at least

a dozen times, and I have to admit that

I don't know what you mean. I get hung

up right at the start, because I don't

know what you mean by sensation as a

function of consciousness. I tend to see

sensation as part of the substrate of

consciousness, i.e. consciousness relies

on sensation to a far greater degree than

sensation relies upon consciousness.

You can produce sensations in an unconscious

person, cause sensory responses of various

kinds, and so on. But I don't think that

there can be consciousness without sensation.

Consciousness is, in part at least, awareness

of sensation, or more precisely, awareness of

self being aware of sensation. This is a rough

paraphrase of the approach to understanding

consciousness contained in Damasio's The Feeling

of What Happens, that we've talked about before

if I remember correctly.

> I agree my choice of examples was inappropriate. I did definitely

> forget that, in Chinese, de qi is " not pain, " I picked that example

> because I assumed we all had lots of experience with different

> patients' sensitivity to needles and even the Nei Jing discusses

that

> difference. So I was looking for a shared experience. However, I

still

> think my overall explanation differences of sensitivity to pain is

a

> potentially correct and useful CM one. For sure, this is only my

own

> ratiocination, and it would be interesting if a number of " old

Chinese

> doctors " (lao zhong yi) looked it over and critiqued it.

Well, my comments were and are limited to

the sense in which theory is applied generally.

It would certainly be interesting to get the

feedback of some Chinese experts.

And it is certainly useful to be able to

talk it over with you.

Thanks,

Ken

>