IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
mahak

the very best music

Rate this topic

yeah, ya dont surf. This is BIG WAVE music. Its a brand new day IF you believe in me.

haribol, friend, I like Iron age maidens too, only I have a playlist with this song and velvet underground's "heroin" on it.

Hari Bol, Mahak & AM,

If you're not directly listening to kirtan or bhajans, try choiceradio.com in their New Age section. Although not directly spiritual (actually occasionally it is), it is nevertheless quite sattvic in tone.

jeffster/AMd

Hari Bol, Mahak & AM,

If you're not directly listening to kirtan or bhajans, try choiceradio.com in their New Age section. Although not directly spiritual (actually occasionally it is), it is nevertheless quite sattvic in tone.

jeffster/AMd

Thanks, will check it out. Love to fall asleep listening to that kind of music and have good dreams of the spiritual world.

My only point about music is that we can continue to pollute our minds listening to the same old hackneyed pop crap that we grew up with, or we can attempt to rise up the modes a bit by listening to something more subtle. New Age music is not directly spiritual, so some would condemn it and insist that we only hear japa and kirtan tapes, and that is likely good advice, but for those of us who don't always listen to japa and kirtan tapes, New Age music is a step up from pop music, definitely more sattvic than pop, which is almost wholly rajasic and tamasic.

jeffster/AMd

max, this was one of my fave albums years back...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Other

Gene_Clark-No_Other_%28album_cover%29.jpg

this album has mood!

click here for audio

...Have you seen the silver raven she has wings and she can fly

Far above the the darkened waters far above the troubled sky

Have you seen the changing rivers now they wait their turn to die

But they turn their tide upon you when the sea begins to cry

Have you seen the changing windows

Of the sea beyond the stars

And the sky beyond the sunbeams and the world beyond your dreams

Have you seen the old world dying

Which was once what new worlds seem

Have you seen the silver raven she has wings that barely gleam

They barely gleam they barely glimmer

As she circles past the sun

And she tries to tell her sister that her trials have just begun

Have you seen the silver raven she has wings and she can fly

Far above the the darkened waters far above the troubled sky

Have you seen the changing rivers now they wait their turn to die

But they turn their tide upon you when the sea begins to cry...

2sides%20back.jpg

nothing needs to be said about this one.....

http://www.geneclark.com/mp3/GypsyRider.mp3

Gypsy Rider

Crank her over once again

Put your face into the wind

Find another road where you`re never been.

Sing that 2-wheeled melody

The highway symphony

You know she`ll never understand.

Gypsy Rider sing

Your 2-wheeled symphony

You know there`s nothing to explain.

She should have known by now

You`re just a vagabond

You may never pass this way again.

All the writings on the wall

The paper all must fall

You`re only as good as your word remains

You can take it out if you

Decide to follow through

Just take what you earn and leave what remains.

Gypsy Rider sing

Your 2-wheeled symphony

You know there`s nothing to explain.

She should have known by now

You`re just a vagabond

You may never pass this way again.

Are you having a beer right now ? I'd have to pretend I was 40 years younger and toss back a brew to listen to that. I was a hard rocker back then - Steppenwolf. Thank God those days are gone, except, heh heh, when Born to Be Wild comes on the radio... "Like a true nature's child, We were born to be wild, Wanna fly so high, I never wanna die." Try www.davidarkenstone.com.

Regards, jeffster/AMd

My only point about music is that we can continue to pollute our minds listening to the same old hackneyed pop crap that we grew up with, or we can attempt to rise up the modes a bit by listening to something more subtle. New Age music is not directly spiritual, so some would condemn it and insist that we only hear japa and kirtan tapes, and that is likely good advice, but for those of us who don't always listen to japa and kirtan tapes, New Age music is a step up from pop music, definitely more sattvic than pop, which is almost wholly rajasic and tamasic.

jeffster/AMd

I understand what you are saying and I was not joking when I said I like New Age music. Iron Maiden is good music to me however, I would classify them probably as jnani's or something but their lyrics are intelligent and ask philosophical questions. I don't buy into the Christian concept that heavy metal is the work of the devil. The heavy metal lifestyle was moronic and I always thought it was moronic but there was some very creative music to come out of that and Iron Maiden is the best of it. Do not feel like I am degrading myself at all spiritually by appreciating Iron Maiden and don't buy into that mindset.

AM, good point. As Bhaktivinode Thakur says - "there are no bad thoughts."

Steppenwolf, also, although mostly bestial, brought up some good points about immortality. It was a step on the journey. I was only suggesting that now we can move forward into more subtle forms of music.

jeffster/AMd

steppinwolf, john kay, was a dishwasher in a restaurant where the great hoyt axton always played, During break, Kay asked axton if he could do his music in his garage band (steppinwolf). Axton gave him permission, thuis the great hits by this excellent band were heard, and axton lives on (Goddamn the Pusherman, Born to be Wild). Axton dont give an damn bout the greenback dollar, is the balladeer, Saturdays Child, and no one does the blues comparable to John Henry, except maybe howlin wolf and JL Hooker.

Krsna is the ability in humankind, art, literature, music, archetecture, science, all are attributable to Krsna, all are tools He uses as He will to reach us sleepers. You may say its Maya, but Maya is the humble servant of Krsna, and to serve her in light of her devotion to krsna is not being under her control but her friend and compatriot. Just as seeing Yamaraja as the great mahajana authority on devotional service is not being in the grips of his diamond noose, rather as his compatriot and full devotee.

Hare Krsna, ys, mahaksadasa

In one sense, one could say that everything we come into contact with in the environment is a sign from Krishna, if only we could read the signs. Since everything is ultimately attributable to Krishna, then any standard we set must be O.K., right ? Or should I be looking to upgrade my standard ? Should I still attempt to derive pleasure from tamas and rajas and the broken glass of my past or is there any way that I can discern that there may be more subtle sound vibrations available on my way to finding a perfect diamond ? It is bad enough that I don't listen much to kirtan or bhajans, which should be the real standard, and I can accept that rock music may have been a step on the journey, but any attempt to defend it as being somehow still cool & viable amazes me. If we think real hard, we can discern what Prabhupad would want us to do here. Yes, it is all coming from Krishna, but there are gradations of sound vibration, and sound vibration shapes our consciousness, so I am only suggesting that we consider carefully what we plug into.

Personally I aspire to ultimately serve Krishna directly and bypass maya altogether, regardless of her exalted status. She does a thankless task and although Vaishnavas should respect her, we are not her devotees. Hope this doesn't sound harsh. Hare Krishna!

jeffster/AMd

Prabhupada was not overly critical of our heroes. He acknowledged their roles in our advancement. While of course we are encouraged to move on, we are also forbidden to falsely and prematurely renounce things. We must have full cups, and nowhere does srila prabhupada teach us to empty our cups. Nowhere. He wants us to positively take to Krsna Consciousness, and the purification of what is held in our cups takes place. In fact, George Harrison offered to renounce Rock and roll, but Srila Prabhupada forbade him, telling him that he purifies the whole genre by the song he makes popular. Similarly, he acknowledges Dylan's talent for knowing all the society ills and displaying them, thus when the acarys gives solutions to problems, some will have a clue that problems even exist.

Yes, we can bypass maya, but jada yoga is not our school. Bhakti is gradual purification by taking to harinama samkirtana. Maya is the Pure Devotee servant of Krsna, we dont allow her to take us away from Krsna, we allow her to teach us by her kicking, knowing what we are being kicked for.

Its just like the coffee table mystics who say "get rid of your ego." This is false doctrine, and impossible. The greatest exercize of the material ego is to breathe, so if one aspires to get rid of false ego, then he must first renounce breathing. No, Prabhupada teaches that the ego is purified into what is known as swarupa, meaning pure ego, full of transcendental knowledge and happiness, devoid of selfishness usually associated with falkse ego running rampant.

I dont give up maya, because that only makes her stronger. All the yogis and prophets and holy men who renounce maya are attacked even more violently. Just ask our holy peers of false renunciation of maya helped them? Ask if they are satisfied without their wives they left at the doorstep of the hare krsna temple while they became sanyassis, only to abuse children because they were premature in their vow-taking.

yer surf ant, mahak

I let some of my Christian friends guilt me into believing that by listening to Iron Maiden I was under the influence of the devil. Having valued them as friends and out of peer pressure I took it too heart and renounced listening to Iron Maiden for years. Just recently I have rediscovered the beauty that is Iron Maiden and have listened to 3 brilliant new albums of theirs that I had never experienced. I feel like Krishna Himself has given me back this enjoyment and made me remember my roots and become more in touch with who I am as an individual having forgotten some of that do to prolonged exposure to the matrix of the military industrial complex corporate control grid and all of its dehumanizing psy-ops.

This is not to say I would play Iron Maiden in a church or in a temple or even that I would expose my children if I had children to heavy metal music. For me the experience is a personal one and it is a blessing from Krishna.

I played 'the wind by cat stevens' when leading weekly chapel as a teen once.

The christian brother who was in charge got a bit upset by it all;)...

I do recall it was a spiritual thing...and a moving tune...

I listen to the wind

to the wind of my soul

Where I'll end up well I think,

only God really knows

I've sat upon the setting sun

But never, never never never

I never wanted water once

No, never, never, never

I listen to my words but

they fall far below

I let my music take me where

my heart wants to go

I swam upon the devil's lake

But never, never never never

I'll never make the same mistake

No, never, never, never

I don't renounce maya either; after all I am married to the Princess, and that is hardly a renounced position, but at the same time I don't want to wallow in maya because of some sentimental attachment to things I was attracted to in the past. Do you think that Krishna will play Iron Maiden songs on His flute for you when you reach Krishna loka ? I don't think so. Only a pure devotee can be a "friend " to maya, because maya is pure. I am impure and conditioned, thus I fear her kicks and I pray to Krishna and Prabhupad that I can become strong and sincere so I don't perform any further necscient acts that would necessitate more harsh kicks. As far as attaining our siddha swarup goes, it will be difficult unless we replace the clutter of our past with something more pure. In other words, you are correct, we do not renounce, but we must replace with a superior taste, i.e. kirtan, bhajans, etc. because it will be kirtans and bhajans that we will be chanting for Krishna, not Credence Clearwater Revival, etc.

Regards, jeffster/AMd

Here's an album that every aspiring Vaishnava MUST have:

LORD KRISHNA'S GREATEST HITS: THE COWHERD SAGA, Volume 2

Includes these 12 great hits:

Oh Radha !

Grateful Soul

Gokula Morning

No Time

Soul Summons

Enchanting Forest Delight

Yamuna Breeze

Flute Medley

Laddus in the Lunch Box - dedicated to Mother Yasoda

Palace of Pleasures

My Beloved

Bonus cut - Evening Lila as sung by the Manjari Sisters (unedited version)

Not available in stores ! Only available through direct perception of the self by realization !!

jeffster/AMd

Jeffster, you sound like a follower of Chaitanya and the Brajabasis. Those kirtans and bhajans are what give Mahaprabhu Sri Chaitanya (Radha Krsna nahi anya) happiness. Although there are innumerable facets to Godhead, who chooses to be worshipped in innumerable ways, this particular form of music is considered the very best by Sri Chaitanya. I'm sure you will be blessed by Him.

Narasingh,

Thanks for your blessing. Truthfully, I struggle to understand Chaitanya Lila. I am much more attracted to Krishna lila. For me personally, and I mean this quite literally and very personally, Chaitanya revealed Krishna. I am eternally indebted to Chaitanya and Prabhupad for this revelation, but I am most attracted to Krishna lila. I do accept Chaitanya as Krishna, but I do not understand him (Chaitanya). It is too high for me. Anyway, the gist of my last 2 posts is that we should spend our time listening to uplifting music rather than maintaining attraction to the mundane music of our past. I am not condemning anything of our past; after all, I have stated that it was a step on the journey. Post # 21 was actually meant to be a parody of the late night TV CD promotional sales that we have here in States. I was attempting to make a bit of a joke, but also attempting to hint at something sublime. Since it is not possible for one such as me to portray something sublime, I could be accused of speculation here or possibly even offensiveness. Are these posts offensive ? I don't mean offense here; I am just trying to encourage a subtle mood in a slightly comedic format. Actually, I am just nonsense. Don't pay any attention to my posts.

However, if you like post # 21, here is another:

If you liked Lord Krishna's Greatest Hits, the Cowherd Saga, Volume 2,

you'll be pleased with the re-issue of Lord Krishna's Greatest Hits, Volume 1: Jiva Come Home.

Included are these 12 great hits:

Surround Yourself (With My Love)

Yearning

A Cloud Passes

Cowherd Boy Chorus - uncut, extended version

Spellbound Souls

Dwarka Dream - the remix

Come Home to Me

Don't Be a Stranger to My Name

The Butter & Yoghurt Song

Tale of Two Kundas

Long Lost Friend

Don't Settle for a Pale Reflection

This release is not available in stores ! It is found only in your heart of hearts !!

jeffster/AMd