IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
suchandra

On Faith: Near-death experience renews spirit

Rate this topic

<table width="370" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td valign="center" width="100" align="right">artonfaith.jpg </td> <td valign="center">

On Faith

Raj Kumar

</td></tr> </tbody></table> <hr>

<!-- END COLUMN-SPECIFIC HEADER INFO --> Near-death experience renews spirit

http://starbulletin.com/2008/07/26/features/onfaith.html

Vol. 13, Issue 208 - Saturday, July 26, 2008

This weekend is the anniversary of a frightening time in my life which confirmed my strong belief in the power of prayer. Beginning in 1998, I experienced several rounds of back pain so severe that it affected my daily life and job. After consulting with several medical professionals, I saw a cardiologist who ordered an ultrasound test. A few days later when the test result came, my doctor told me I was "living with a time bomb." He said I was suffering from a medical condition known as atria septal defect, and my blood was shunting from left to right instead of right to the left in the ventricles of my heart. The doctor was surprised that I had survived with this condition. He told me that the problem was usually diagnosed and corrected at birth. He recommended open-heart surgery.

This was an extremely difficult and stressful period in my life. I went to see a psychic reader in Moiliili, who confirmed that I must have the surgery. She said, "You will be greatly strengthened by this experience, and you will start a new life. God has chosen you for a good purpose, and God will channel messages for people through you." Her advice gave me hope that I would survive the surgery. I developed a strong faith in God and used self-confidence to face this life-threatening challenge.

I had the open-heart surgery at the Queen's Medical Center in Honolulu on July 27, 1998. One day before surgery, I went to the ISKCON temple in Nuuanu and asked God to give me a second chance to live. I offered food for devotees and homeless people after the evening prayer at the temple.

My heart was filled with love, my mind felt a new light and I felt the presence of God within me and around me. My spiritual master, Subramuniyaswami from the Kauai Hindu temple, called me at the hospital to tell me they would perform a fire ceremony and Vedic chanting with special ancient mantras until the surgery was done.

My family, friends and co-workers from Department of Health also sent me their prayers for a safe and successful surgery.

Afterward while I was recuperating in the hospital, I meditated on these words of the psychic: new life and new purpose. I found answers through meditation and shifted my consciousness from materialism to spiritualism. I decided to become a healer and author. I now am enjoying living from moment to moment, sharing knowledge, serving others selflessly and facilitating healing in others.

I strongly believe that prayer has vibrant power and that it can be sent even thousands of miles away to a friend and loved one. A prayer sent from a pure heart and with good intention to God comes back with approval and brings good result. Prayer means being natural and spiritual. Prayer is an experience of eternal love. When there is a true feeling for God and others, that is the depth of prayer. Prayer is your own faith, belief and true love toward God. Prayer is being thankful to God not only in sorrow, but also in joy, every act and success in your daily life.

Prayer is now my daily practice. My goals are not focused on material gains, but rather on spiritual health and well-being of others.

Raj Kumar practices Hinduism and is the author of several books.

I strongly believe that prayer has vibrant power and that it can be sent even thousands of miles away to a friend and loved one. A prayer sent from a pure heart and with good intention to God comes back with approval and brings good result. Prayer means being natural and spiritual. Prayer is an experience of eternal love. When there is a true feeling for God and others, that is the depth of prayer. quoted by suchandra