IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
budha2k

Can a man marry an older woman

Rate this topic

Namaste.

I would like to know if there is any hard and fast rule in Hinduism that prohibits a man from marrying a woman elder to him by hardly a few months. Is it a real concern for the success of their married life.

Thank you.

As far as I know, this is a non-existent, ancient tradition based upon no superstition nor logic - barring i suppose, that man must always be considered the head of the family.

In the present day connotation, unfortunately this does not happen even when the woman is much younger.

Best Wishes

Deepa

There is no fixed rule for age of man and woman to marry . Lord Rama married Sita who was elder to him.Probably as the girl comes to adulthood early compared to a boy ,the convention is boy should be elder to the girl to patch up the gap in mental maturity.

USR

Hello Bhuda2k

During the aryan times (ramayana, mahabharata etc etc), we can find many couples in the mythology where the wifes were elder than the men.

Good example is Sita who is considered elder than Rama ( according to one school of thoughts). Draupadi should have been elder than atleast some of of her husbands. Radha was elder than Krishna.

But pl understand the yuga we are living is different. You can follow yuga dharma. Out of all yugas , is Kali better ? So be encouraged bhuda2k. Go ahead, marry whom you want and be happy !