IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
cbrahma

chanting

Rate this topic

Yes, we should keep chanting no matter what.

When some realization comes, rest assured maya will also come. At least when such a thing occurs we know we are on the path. Keep chanting (begin) cbrahma...this is real life. When we have some little faith appear and maya intensifies...we have placed feet on the path (way)...

We then mature. Once we saw the world as little children, now we see the things of God as adults (no longer naieve to maya)...we can choose as mature people with wisdom.

Maybe then we realize the choice of surrender. How to surrender? The lord will even show us that in due course:pray:. Hopefully.

Maybe when we realize oneday the path of surrender...we can share with others how...

Yes but the symptom of that sort of real humility is not to stop chanting but to to to chant with more intense sincere feeling.

We have to judge a thing by it's result. Is the result of humility to stop chanting? Lord Caitanya teaches that only from the position of humility can one chant the name of the Lord constantly, non-stop.

Yep, the best example is Narad Muni.

However, what I've learnt from Srimad Bhagvatam is that chanting should become with time a natural process and not a self imposed or disciplined process.

In SB, Lord Shiva explains, in the beginning follow the rules to become disciplined in the Bhakti marga and with time one should become unattached to those rules...Just like Narada Muni, his taking the name of Narayana is very very natural without any imposition and he does it constantly.

but all this happens just like Theist said, only after being in the position of humility.

Yes but the symptom of that sort of real humility is not to stop chanting but to to to chant with more intense sincere feeling.

We have to judge a thing by it's result. Is the result of humility to stop chanting? Lord Caitanya teaches that only from the position of humility can one chant the name of the Lord constantly, non-stop.

Well said. Humility means constantly chanting. And if someone has committed some offense in chanting, the remedy is constant chanting. It may be helpful to study Siksastakam to better understand how dedication to chanting Hare Krishna both effects and reflects our spiritual progress. And in this age, there just isn't any chance of real progress, or happiness, without chanting.

So, cbrahma, you clearly have some faith in chanting, so follow that faith, so it will grow, and don't give any attention to those who, for whatever reason, discourage you.

Thanks to everybody for your encouraging and kind responses. I guess I needed to see such words in black and white, since I have heard so many words that seem designed to make one fail.

Sri Nama is a beautiful and wonderful life boat that Lord Caitanya and Srila Prabhupada have given those individuals like myself who are going down for the third time in the ocean of material distress.

Thanks to everybody for your encouraging and kind responses. I guess I needed to see such words in black and white, since I have heard so many words that seem designed to make one fail.

Sri Nama is a beautiful and wonderful life boat that Lord Caitanya and Srila Prabhupada have given those individuals like myself who are going down for the third time in the ocean of material distress.

We are all here to let that not happen.

Even though I don't know my own fate. But I get encourage when I hear the sweet Lord saying, My devotee never perishes or you'll come back to finish what you've left.

For Him we are always green, what we need to do is just to take his name.

Cheers.

Sri Nama is a beautiful and wonderful life boat that Lord Caitanya and Srila Prabhupada have given those individuals like myself who are going down for the third time in the ocean of material distress. by cbrahma

Hey cbrahma I was at my families house tonight and rugby came on the tv...I was very bored with it...so opened my Bhajan-rahasya by Bhaktivinoda.

I came across some verses, that made me think of our conversation in this thread. Stuff close to your heart mate, and by the look of it Stone's heart too. I got inspired, and left my family...to come and share these verses with you. Good old Audarya Fellowship lol.

Bhajan-rahasya Chapter One Text 28

om asya jananto nam-cid-vivaktan mahas te visno

sumatim bhajamahe om tat sat

O Visnu, all the Vedas appear from your Name, which is fully conscious and all-illuminating. Your name is the personification of transcendence and supreme bliss, and it is the embodiment of easily obtainable transcendental knowledge. I worship You by thoughtfully performing continous chanting of Your name.

Text 30

Sri Caitanya-bhagavata (madhya kanda 23.76-8)

hare krsna hare krsna krsna krsna hare hare

hare rama hare rama rama rama hare hare

prabhu kahe kahilama ei maha-mantra

iha japa giya sabe kariya nirbandha

iha haita sarva-siddhi haibe sabara

sarva-ksana bala ithe vidhi nahi ara

The Lord said, 'Regularly chant japa of this maha-mantra. In this way you will attain all perfection. Chant at any time and in any circumstance; there are no other rules for chanting'.

Bhajan-rahasya vritti by Srila BV Narayana Maharaja

Sriman Mahaprabhu says that by chanting the maha-mantra all bondage will vanish and the jiva will achieve perfection. In other words, he will attain Krsna-prema. Therefore one should chant the maha-mantra at all times. One is not required to follow any special rules or regulations to chant it.

We are so fortunate that if we take full shelter (oneday) of Lords Nityananda-Gauranga, then we can boldly chant the Holy Name. These two merciful Lords (who consider no offence) will cleanse our hearts, and gradually and swiftly allow us to enter the mystery of the Maha-mantra.

Srila Prabhupada has specifically stated (C.C. adi 31)...the neophyte (I am neophyte) should not directly indulge in the chanting of the Maha-mantra, even if he does so he cannot get the desired result. But if he takes full shelter of Lords Nitaai-Gauranga and Their holy names, the sadhakas heart will be quickly cleansed of all offence. So as soon as she chants the Maha-mantra in that offence free state...love of God will appear. The sadhaka will be able to enter the mystery of the names of Radha and Krsna (paraphrased by bija).

May our offences be cleared ol' mate. And may we dance!

The Vaisnava meekly and humbly says, "Father, Master, God, Friend and Husband of my soul! Hallowed be Thy name. I do not approach You for anything that You have already given me. I have sinned against You and I now repent and solicit Your pardon. Let Thy Holiness touch my soul and make me free from grossness. Let my spirit be devoted meekly to Your holy service in absolute love towards Thee. I have called You my God, and let my soul be wrapped up in admiration at Your Greatness! I have addressed You as my Master and let my soul be strongly devoted to Your service. I have called You my Friend and let my soul be in reverential love toward You and not in dread or fear! I have called You my Husband and let my spiritual nature be in eternal union with You, forever loving and never dreading, or feeling disgust. My love! Let me have strength enough to go up to You as the consort of my soul, so that we may be one in eternal love! Peace to the world!"

(The Bhagavat: Its Philosophy, Its Ethics & Its Theology) BVT

Namastaka 8 by Sri Rupa:

O life of Narada's vina! O crest of the waves upon the transcendental ocean of nectar! O condensed form of all sweetness! O krsna-nama! By your own sweet will, may You always appear on my tongue along with all transcendental rasa.

I would actually get up at 2:30 am and go to the LA Temple and attend the whole morning program and chant 12 rounds , 4 of which I would finish during the day. I was trying to follow SP. But when I get happy , it seems the ISKCON members get unhappy and start criticizing. I experienced this many times at differnt temples.

Could be that this is not particularly the case with ISKCON but everywhere else - people seem to bicker for any small thing. Same what Deepak Kamat is also much regretting.

Historical Corrective in the age of political correctness

http://greathindu.com/

July 3, 2008 Author: Deepak Kamat Modi.jpg

In India, where the Left-liberal media/academics dominate public discourse, anybody deviating from the norms of political correctness is immediately given the cold shoulder. It is cool and fashionable to be secular and liberal.

Anybody deviating from the standards of political correctness – especially when it comes to supporting Hindu tradition — is immediately dubbed as a minority basher/communal/fascist/revanchist/revivalist/fundamentalist / fanatic /ultra-right winger.

What is tragic is that these certifying engineers of secularism/liberalism are totally cut off from the cultural ethos of the land. For them, HInduism is nothing but barbaric medievalism mired in superstititions.

Somebody has to set the record straight. Somebody has to speak for the Hindu nationalists who dared to support their tradition despite being politically incorrect.

Somebody has to analyse the contribution of the HIndu nationalists in the right perspective after all Hindus comprise almost 80 percent of India’s population. Somebody has to undo the character assassinations done at the behest of those who control public discourse..

This book is meant to be a historical corrective for the Hindu nationalists in the age of left-liberal political correctness.

As for me, I am a Brahmin, Hindu nationalist and spiritual hedonist in the lines of Osho Rajaneesh. That means I am an evil fascist by the Left-liberal standards of political correctness.

Deepak Kamat

Here's one of the chapters from the ToC:

Chapter-10: Spiritual category

Osho Rajneesh – For stating that India is a spiritual vibe

Maharshi Mahesh Yogi – For his hopping Nationalism

Srila Prabhupad – A Semitic version of Hindu nationalism

Sri Sri Ravishankar: For taking nationalism to the upper crest

Mata Amrutananda Mayi – For her hugging spree

Baba Ramdev – For being India’s first Hindu tele-evangelist

Sai Baba – For a heady mix of religion, magic and nationalism

U.G. Krishnamurthy – For the iconoclast gave a new definition

Panduranga Shastri Athavale – For the Swadhyaya movement

Dalai Lama – For acknowledging Hindu roots

Pramukh Swamiji Maharaja - For setting up the world’s largest Temple

Tarun Sagar – For continuing the legacy of Acharya Tulsi

Asaram Bapu - For being politically incorrect

Um, "Semitic version of Hindu nationalism"? I guess that's what we could expect from an Osho/Rajneesh-type "spiritual" hedonist. :confused:

Wise. Good to hear from you.

I was thinking the same thing. Good to hear from you Beggar prabhu Ji. I was sorry to observe that the meeting of the minds never really took place, which makes it nearly impossible to have any sort of meaningful discussion. Yep, all we can do is chant. Well, that (Nama-kirtana) and the other 4 most important items of Bhakti as given by Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu to Srila Rupa Goswami: Sadhu-sanga, Bhagavat-sravana, Mathura-vasa, and Sri-murti-seva. Hari bol!

I Used To Chant The Holy Nama 'hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare, Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare' All The Times. That Is Even While Walking/while Going To Office In The Bus Stop And Even In The Bus, Inside My Office Etc.,hope I Am Doing The Chanting Correctly. Please Advice Me.

I Used To Chant The Holy Nama 'hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare, Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare' All The Times. That Is Even While Walking/while Going To Office In The Bus Stop And Even In The Bus, Inside My Office Etc.,hope I Am Doing The Chanting Correctly. Please Advice Me.

Perfectly. Now it is just a question of increasing love for Him when we chant His name.

I hope to follow your example one day. My chanting is very spotty these days.

Could be that this is not particularly the case with ISKCON but everywhere else - people seem to bicker for any small thing. Same what Deepak Kamat is also much regretting.

Historical Corrective in the age of political correctness

http://greathindu.com/

July 3, 2008 Author: Deepak Kamat Modi.jpg

In India, where the Left-liberal media/academics dominate public discourse, anybody deviating from the norms of political correctness is immediately given the cold shoulder. It is cool and fashionable to be secular and liberal.

Anybody deviating from the standards of political correctness – especially when it comes to supporting Hindu tradition — is immediately dubbed as a minority basher/communal/fascist/revanchist/revivalist/fundamentalist / fanatic /ultra-right winger.

What is tragic is that these certifying engineers of secularism/liberalism are totally cut off from the cultural ethos of the land. For them, HInduism is nothing but barbaric medievalism mired in superstititions.

Somebody has to set the record straight. Somebody has to speak for the Hindu nationalists who dared to support their tradition despite being politically incorrect.

Somebody has to analyse the contribution of the HIndu nationalists in the right perspective after all Hindus comprise almost 80 percent of India’s population. Somebody has to undo the character assassinations done at the behest of those who control public discourse..

This book is meant to be a historical corrective for the Hindu nationalists in the age of left-liberal political correctness.

As for me, I am a Brahmin, Hindu nationalist and spiritual hedonist in the lines of Osho Rajaneesh. That means I am an evil fascist by the Left-liberal standards of political correctness.

Deepak Kamat

Sounds like the Indian version of Michael Savage. Krishna seems to be pretty much transcendental to political struggle and all that but I always find myself rooting for the destruction of the politically correct liberal left in America because I think they have done a lot to destroy any hope for God Consciousness in America.