IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Jahnava Nitai Das

Maharishi Mahesh Yogi Passes Away

Rate this topic

I just posted this to the thread I started in World Review, but it seems applicable here as well (though, as has been pointed out, it seems Maharishi didn't claim to be God).

<dl><dt>1. </dt><dd> from Time magazine (Feb. 11, 1974)

Posted by: "Bhakti Vikasa Swami" Bhakti.Vikasa.Swami@pamho.net bvkswami

Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:07 am (PST)

Trouble is stirring in Nirvana. A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami of the Hare Krishna

movement, at a news conference in Hong Kong last week, denounced a rival

guru: self-styled divinity Maharaj Ji, 16, now counseling his disciples in

California. The ascetic Swami, whose followers constitute a kind of

saffron-robed Hindu version of the Salvation Army, began by saying, "You've

got to decide whether he is God, or a dog." Noting the young leader's

luxurious life style, the Swami declared rather ominously, "He is cheating

people, but he will be cheated in a bigger way. When God meets cheats, he

can be a better cheat than they."

</dd></dl>

He told me that Maharishi secretly worshipped Radha-Krishna Deities. That was what he said.

Beautiful, This made my day!

I bet he was told to do this in a dream when he visited Navadwipa. Just like Madhva was told in Navadwipa in a dream "worship me secretly..." or something like that.

First Ramanuja, then Madhva, now Mahesh Yogi. I wonder who is next in line for this secret worship?

Cheers

Just to clarify, that statement was made in 1976. Probably no way to verify it, but it is not too unlikely. He is a North Indian, so worship of Radha Krishna would be a possibility if he did puja.

I dont believe he taught any of his disciples to worship deities, but I don't know too much about it.

I started with TM last August and it helped me a bit. Recently I had an ayurvedic consultation and the practiotioner was brahmin and he told me to chant the maha mantra. that same night i chanted for 20 min straight and didnt notice how time flew so quickly. My anxiety had gone and I had peace of mind. the next day all i could do was chant. i did it 3 times as well as two times of my tm mantra. after that...i noticed that all i wanted to do is chant the maha mantra...it became quite addicting. and suddenly i dropped tm yesterday...usually i would become very agitated if i didnt do tm but yesterday all i did was hare krsna and i was content...

i think the mantra is very powerful and will definitely continue to use it.

i dont look down on tm though because it helped me a bit and it brought me to the maha mantra as well.

I started with TM last August and it helped me a bit. Recently I had an ayurvedic consultation and the practiotioner was brahmin and he told me to chant the maha mantra. that same night i chanted for 20 min straight and didnt notice how time flew so quickly. My anxiety had gone and I had peace of mind. the next day all i could do was chant. i did it 3 times as well as two times of my tm mantra. after that...i noticed that all i wanted to do is chant the maha mantra...it became quite addicting. and suddenly i dropped tm yesterday...usually i would become very agitated if i didnt do tm but yesterday all i did was hare krsna and i was content...

i think the mantra is very powerful and will definitely continue to use it.

i dont look down on tm though because it helped me a bit and it brought me to the maha mantra as well.

Sounds like you had a wonderful awakening heidi. As you know the maha-mantra is for everyone and is not dependent on any formal initiation for it's purifying power.

I like to chant with my beads (although that is not a rule) and when I do I play a CD of Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada also chanting on his beads.

I'm also going to be doing the Vipassana Meditation course for 10 days in Northern California...what do you think of that? Alot has changed for me since I realized that God is impersonal...I feel really good chanting the maha mantra...and definitely want to know the supreme personality of godhead...do u think I could mix the two? vipassana and bhakti yoga?

Another question I had is...is it good or bad to get a tattoo...say perhaps of one of the mantras in sri isopanisad?

I'm also going to be doing the Vipassana Meditation course for 10 days in Northern California...what do you think of that? Alot has changed for me since I realized that God is impersonal...I feel really good chanting the maha mantra...and definitely want to know the supreme personality of godhead...do u think I could mix the two? vipassana and bhakti yoga?

Another question I had is...is it good or bad to get a tattoo...say perhaps of one of the mantras in sri isopanisad?

On this page scroll down 16 rows and you will see a tattoo. Click on my favorite and you will then find a lot of examples that might inspire you.

Peace be with you- there are many paths to God and Maharishi helped millions of people; I've practiced TM since 94 and though don't see him as perfect his translations and commentaries are extremely fine. It's always a shame to see different perspectives on the Veda getting antagonistic- that's not the Hindu way, needless to say: he was one of many great Indian spiritual leaders.

In buddhism, you can choose to delay your liberation from this material world and body to guide or save other souls...."bodhisattva"

can u also do this in krsna consciousness?

In buddhism, you can choose to delay your liberation from this material world and body to guide or save other souls...."bodhisattva"

can u also do this in krsna consciousness?

Well the difference is that in Buddhism their idea of liberation is annihilation of the individuals self awareness and this includes the indidualaity of others. So a "liberated" Buddhist would not even be aware that there was any one else to save.

In Krishna consciousness when a soul attains liberation they are fully aware of themselves as an individual soul. They are also aware that other souls are suffering because of lacking liberation in Krishna consciousness so they come to give Krishna to those suffering souls as Krishna directs them.

Krishna sends these saviors throughout all the universes to spread His message of mercy.