IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Kulapavana

Who coined the phrase Krishna Consciousness?

Rate this topic

From "Steps Toward the Universal Christ Consciousness"

by Paramahamsa Yogananda, February 17, 1935

"The Indian name for this universal Christ Consciousness is Kutastha Chaitanya. In India we might also call it Krishna Consciousness..."

Srila Prabhupada is quoted in the book Journey to Self-Discovery:

"In another verse, Rupa Gosvami says, krsna-bhakti-rasa-bhavita matih kriyatau yadi kuto ’pi labhyate. I have translated the words Krsna consciousness from krsna-bhakti-rasa-bhavita. Here Rupa Gosvami advises, 'If Krsna consciousness is available, please purchase it immediately. Don’t delay.' It is a very nice thing."

Also, in Vrndavana, March 13, 1974,

Prabhupada stated: "Rupa Gosvami advised, krsna-bhakti-rasa-bhavita matih kriyatam yadi kuto ’pi labhyate. He advises that, 'If Krsna consciousness is available, you should purchase it. You should purchase it anywhere it is available.'"

In Seattle, Washington, Oct. 4, 1968, Srila Prabhupada stated: "Krsna-bhakti-rasa-bhavita matih. Matih means intelligence or status of mind, that 'I’ll serve Krsna.' If you can purchase this status of mind anywhere, please immediately purchase it.":pray: :pray: :pray:

It appears that the phrase "Krsna consciousness" was in use before Prabhupada started using it (see PY's quote from 1935 above).

I am curious as to who first coined this phrase in the English language. Based on my search it would be Yogananda, or perhaps his guru, Swami Yukteshvar, if he wrote in English...

It appears that the phrase "Krsna consciousness" was in use before Prabhupada started using it (see PY's quote from 1935 above).

I am curious as to who first coined this phrase in the English language. Based on my search it would be Yogananda, or perhaps his guru, Swami Yukteshvar, if he wrote in English...

This could be true that "Krishna consciousness" was invented by Paramahamsa Yogananda but since Paramahamsa Yogananda and Swami Yuktesvar consider Krishna not as cause of all causes but as temporary manifestion of the Brahman, they are Brahma-vadis. Therefore, their understanding of "Krishna consciousness" is different than the understanding of the Vaishnavas who consider Krishna as original cause of all causes. Therefore Prabhupada is the first using the term "Krishna-consciousness" according Vaishnava understanding - Krishna is the eternal shelter of all living entities.

This could be true that "Krishna consciousness" was invented by Paramahamsa Yogananda but since Paramahamsa Yogananda and Swami Yuktesvar consider Krishna not as cause of all causes but as temporary manifestion of the Brahman, they are Brahma-vadis. Therefore, their understanding of "Krishna consciousness" is different than the understanding of the Vaishnavas who consider Krishna as original cause of all causes. Therefore Prabhupada is the first using the term "Krishna-consciousness" according Vaishnava understanding - Krishna is the eternal shelter of all living entities.

:pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

:namaskar: :namaskar: :namaskar: :namaskar: :namaskar: :namaskar: :namaskar: :namaskar: :namaskar: :namaskar: :namaskar: :namaskar:

Didn't Sriman Mahaprabhu take Sannyas initiation from an "impersonalist" Guru?

Is it that Paramahamsa Yogananda is an impersonalist, or that we have a limited understanding of his teachings? That's an honest question. I've not even read "An Autobiography of a Yogi".

Besides, there are many persons who, for whatever reason, feel more comfortable approaching Divinity from the "impersonal" side. If they have some sincerity and devotion, then will they not eventually come to realize the Sweetness of the Supreme Personality?

If we are smug and dismissive of the "impersonalists", doesn't that make us envious offenders?

Didn't Sriman Mahaprabhu take Sannyas initiation from an "impersonalist" Guru?

Is it that Paramahamsa Yogananda is an impersonalist, or that we have a limited understanding of his teachings? That's an honest question. I've not even read "An Autobiography of a Yogi".

Besides, there are many persons who, for whatever reason, feel more comfortable approaching Divinity from the "impersonal" side. If they have some sincerity and devotion, then will they not eventually come to realize the Sweetness of the Supreme Personality?

If we are smug and dismissive of the "impersonalists", doesn't that make us envious offenders?

These are all very valid and interesting questions.

From what I have read about Paramahamsa Yogananda and Swami Yukteshvar they are not impersonalists. There is a lot of real bhakti in their words.

I think that for the sake of preaching in the Western world PY stressed the universal and all-encompassing feature of God which is common to all religions. Actually he was quite successful in his preaching and I think Srila Prabhupada was studying his approach as he was getting ready for his own preaching mission to the West. Just like we can see elements of Gandhi's approach in Prabhupada's practical instructions I think there are elements of PY and Swami Yukteshvar in Prabhupada's message as well.

Thanks, Kulapavana Prabhu.

I wasn't going to comment on this thread until I saw all the "ditto-heads" echoing the plattitudes.

It's so easy to be dismissive. It's so much harder to be appreciative.

While I'm not familiar with PY's teachings, I've gone for a few very peaceful walks (including Japa walks) at the SRF lakeside shrine on Sunset Boulevard, in Los Angeles, and I watched my friends surf at "Swami's" near San Diego.

From what I have read about Paramahamsa Yogananda and Swami Yukteshvar they are not impersonalists. There is a lot of real bhakti in their words.

I think that for the sake of preaching in the Western world PY stressed the universal and all-encompassing feature of God which is common to all religions. Actually he was quite successful in his preaching and I think Srila Prabhupada was studying his approach as he was getting ready for his own preaching mission to the West. Just like we can see elements of Gandhi's approach in Prabhupada's practical instructions I think there are elements of PY and Swami Yukteshvar in Prabhupada's message as well.

looks like both "experts" haven't read "Autobiography of a Yogi", but feel to comment on everything. This is what Theist prabhu says and this is final:

"They do that pseudo devotional dance for the benefit of their "less advanced followers who need to conceive of God as a person other themselves because they have yet to realize that they themselves are God." You know, worship God until you merge into Him and realize you are Him. THIS IS NOT BHAKTI even though they sometimes call themselves vaisnavas and say they love Krsna or Rama or Vishnu or Allah or Jehovah or Shiva or Durga whatever you want to call it.

They mask their impersonalism in such ways and in this way are even more dangerous then ordinary atheists. More jewel headed cobras.

Vaisnavas do not hear from these types even though it can be admitted they may be very advanced souls with many wonderful qualities like renounciation, wisdom, care for others etc. I have heard Srila Prabhupada once said Sri Yuktesvar ( Yogananda's guru) was a very beautiful person."

Srila Prabhupada would not judge, but we should readily do so?

What makes you think Kula hasn't studied PY? Perhaps he is just being modest (a quality not often found in you).

While I certainly appreciate Theist, I wouldn't call anything he's written/said to be "final". I doubt he would either. He's more modest than that (and you).

I asked some questions. Do you have answers for them?

looks like both "experts" haven't read "Autobiography of a Yogi", but feel to comment on everything. This is what Theist prabhu says and this is final:

"They do that pseudo devotional dance for the benefit of their "less advanced followers who need to conceive of God as a person other themselves because they have yet to realize that they themselves are God." You know, worship God until you merge into Him and realize you are Him. THIS IS NOT BHAKTI even though they sometimes call themselves vaisnavas and say they love Krsna or Rama or Vishnu or Allah or Jehovah or Shiva or Durga whatever you want to call it.

They mask their impersonalism in such ways and in this way are even more dangerous then ordinary atheists. More jewel headed cobras.

Vaisnavas do not hear from these types even though it can be admitted they may be very advanced souls with many wonderful qualities like renounciation, wisdom, care for others etc. I have heard Srila Prabhupada once said Sri Yuktesvar ( Yogananda's guru) was a very beautiful person."

Interesting points, Murali prabhu. Probably most of us were infected with impersonalism to varying degrees before we came into contact with Krsna Consciousness. Srila Prabhupada's pranam mantra was composed by your own Gurudeva, I believe, in which it is stated "nirvisesa sunyavadi pascatya desa tarine" which means "delivering the Western countries which are filled with impersonalism and voidism." I recall during my initial studies into the Eastern paths that the phrase "cosmic consciousness" was fairly popular. The hippies at that time would speak in terms of "expanding your consciousness" while taking mind-altering drugs. So, in retrospect, Srila Prabhupada's usage of the phrase "Krsna Consciousness" was brilliant, IMHO, whether or not he was the original inventor of the phrase.

Just snap judgments.

Please prabhu, read theist's post in detail:

I know he is an impersonalist simply from seeing that he is in line from Paramahansa Yogananda and Sri Yuktesvar who are impersonalists. Yogananda also talked in terms of Bhakti while holding Sankaras view on the nature of God as impersonal Brahman. They do that pseudo devotional dance for the benefit of their "less advanced followers who need to conceive of God as a person other themselves because they have yet to realize that they themselves are God." You know, worship God until you merge into Him and realize you are Him. THIS IS NOT BHAKTI even though they sometimes call themselves vaisnavas and say they love Krsna or Rama or Vishnu or Allah or Jehovah or Shiva or Durga whatever you want to call it.

Vaisnavas do not hear from these types even though it can be admitted they may be very advanced souls with many wonderful qualities like renounciation, wisdom, care for others etc. I have heard Srila Prabhupada once said Sri Yuktesvar ( Yogananda's guru) was a very beautiful person.

Interesting points, Murali prabhu. Probably most of us were infected with impersonalism to varying degrees before we came into contact with Krsna Consciousness. Srila Prabhupada's pranam mantra was composed by your own Gurudeva, I believe, in which it is stated "nirvisesa sunyavadi pascatya desa tarine" which means "delivering the Western countries which are filled with impersonalism and voidism." I recall during my initial studies into the Eastern paths that the phrase "cosmic consciousness" was fairly popular. The hippies at that time would speak in terms of "expanding your consciousness" while taking mind-altering drugs. So, in retrospect, Srila Prabhupada's usage of the phrase "Krsna Consciousness" was brilliant, IMHO, whether or not he was the original inventor of the phrase.

Thanks for your support, but, while Srila Gurudeva composed *a* (grammatically-correct) pranam mantra for our Srila Prabhupada, his is not the one used in ISKCON.

Here is Gurudeva's pranam mantra for Srila Bhaktivedanta Swami Maharaja. Note the absence of any mention of "nirvisesa" and "sunyavadi".

From (page "vi"):

http://scsmath.org/trove2/kirttanguide4th.pdf

I'm retyping it because of diacritic issues (I don't think a standard font was used, or I could use one of the automated tools).

namah om vishnupadaya krishna preshtaya bhutale

swami sri bhaktivedanta prabhupadaya te namah

gurvajnam sirasi-dhritva shaktyavesha sva-rupine

hare krishneti mantrena pascatya prachya tarine

visvacharya prabaryaya divya karunya murtaye

sri bhagavata-madhurya-gita-jnana pradayine

gaura sri-rupa-siddhanta-saraswati nishevine

radha-krishna-padambhoja-bhringaya gurave namah

I offer my humble obeisances unto His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada, who is Krsna’s beloved associate and who came down to this plane from Goloka. Taking the order of his guru on his head, he is the Shaktyavesha (empowered) avatar of Nityananda Prabhu personified. He distributed the Hare Krishna mantra all over the Eastern and Western world, delivering and uplifting all fallen souls. He is the best of millions of jagat-gurus, because he is the personification of divine mercy. He has distributed the sweet nectar of Srimad-Bhagavatam and the transcendentalv knowledge of Bhagavad-gita all over the world. He is constantly engaged in exclusive devotional service to Srila Bhakti Siddhanta Saraswati Thakura, Srila Rupa Goswami, and Sri Gauranga Mahaprabhu. I offer my humble obeisances unto Srila Prabhupada, who is like a bumble-bee always tasting the nectar of the lotus feet of Sri Sri Radha and Govinda.

Srila Prabhupada would not judge, but we should readily do so?

What makes you think Kula hasn't studied PY?

at one time I studied PY quite a bit, and concluded that he is a self promoting guy who often likes to exagerrate his position and abilities to gain followers, and rejected him on that count.

Most devotees like to slap other people with bad names like mayavadi, impersonalist, or sahajiya. Very long time ago I decided not to trust their childish name calling.

I see what you're saying now. I didn't get past the "just another impersonalist" jibe. My error.

What theist says is true, no doubt, that we are advised to avoid the "impersonalists" lest we become confused. However Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Saraswati Thakur offered his *obeisances* (from a respectful distance) to a sadhu whom he considered to be a *sahajiya* (which must be "worse" than being an "impersonalist", don't you think?). Surely that example is instructive in terms of what mood is most favorable for us.

Please prabhu, read theist's post in detail:

I know he is an impersonalist simply from seeing that he is in line from Paramahansa Yogananda and Sri Yuktesvar who are impersonalists. Yogananda also talked in terms of Bhakti while holding Sankaras view on the nature of God as impersonal Brahman. They do that pseudo devotional dance for the benefit of their "less advanced followers who need to conceive of God as a person other themselves because they have yet to realize that they themselves are God." You know, worship God until you merge into Him and realize you are Him. THIS IS NOT BHAKTI even though they sometimes call themselves vaisnavas and say they love Krsna or Rama or Vishnu or Allah or Jehovah or Shiva or Durga whatever you want to call it.

Vaisnavas do not hear from these types even though it can be admitted they may be very advanced souls with many wonderful qualities like renounciation, wisdom, care for others etc. I have heard Srila Prabhupada once said Sri Yuktesvar ( Yogananda's guru) was a very beautiful person.

I see what you're saying now. I didn't get past the "just another impersonalist" jibe. My error.

What theist says is true, no doubt, that we are advised to avoid the "impersonalists" lest we become confused. However Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Saraswati Thakur offered his *obeisances* (from a respectful distance) to a sadhu whom he considered to be a *sahajiya* (which must be "worse" than being an "impersonalist", don't you think?). Surely that example is instructive in terms of what mood is most favorable for us.

Bhaktivedanta VedaBase: Sri Caitanya Caritamrita Madhya 1.34

prabhu ajnaya kaila saba sastrera vicara

vrajera nigudha bhakti karila pracara

SYNONYMS

prabhu ajnaya -- upon the order of Lord Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu; kaila -- they did; saba sastrera -- of all scriptures; vicara -- analytical study; vrajera -- of Sri Vrindavana-dhama; nigudha -- most confidential; bhakti -- devotional service; karila -- did; pracara -- preaching.

TRANSLATION

The Gosvamis carried out the preaching work of devotional service on the basis of an analytical study of all confidential Vedic literatures. This was in compliance with the order of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu. Thus one can understand the most confidential devotional service of Vrindavana.

PURPORT

This proves that bona fide devotional service is based on the conclusions of the Vedic literature. It is not based on the type of sentiment exhibited by the prakrita-sahajiyas. The prakrita-sahajiyas do not consult the Vedic literatures, and they are debauchees, woman-hunters and smokers of ganja. Sometimes they give a theatrical performance and cry for the Lord with tears in their eyes. Of course, all scriptural conclusions are washed off by these tears. The prakrita-sahajiyas do not realize that they are violating the orders of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, who specifically said that to understand Vrindavana and the pastimes of Vrindavana one must have sufficient knowledge of the sastras (Vedic literatures). As stated in Srimad-Bhagavatam (1.2.12), bhaktya sruta-grihitaya. This means that devotional service is acquired from Vedic knowledge. Tac chraddadhanah munayah. Devotees who are actually serious attain bhakti, scientific devotional service, by hearing Vedic literatures (bhaktya sruta-grihitaya). It is not that one should create something out of sentimentality, become a sahajiya and advocate such concocted devotional service. However, Srila Sarasvati Thakura considered such sahajiyas to be more favorable than the impersonalists, who are hopelessly atheistic. The impersonalists have no idea of the Supreme Personality of Godhead. The position of the sahajiyas is far better than that of the Mayavadi sannyasis. Although the sahajiyas do not think much of Vedic knowledge, they nonetheless have accepted Lord Krishna as the Supreme Lord. Unfortunately, they mislead others from authentic devotional service.

By the way that person to whom Srila Sarasvati Thakura "offered his obeisances from afar" was Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura's initiating guru, Vipina Vihari.

By the way that person to whom Srila Sarasvati Thakura "offered his obeisances from afar" was Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura's initiating guru, Vipina Vihari.

Yes, I've heard that. What's your point? Is it that Srila Sarasasvati Thakura was simply being polite?

I stand corrected by Srila Prabhupada regarding who is more favorable (more favorable to *what* or to *whom*??).

However by whom is a sincerely aspiring Vaishnava more likely to be misled (in the sense of being deceived), a "sahajiya" or an "impersonalist"? In that sense, isn't a sahajiya more dangerous?

Yes, I've heard that. What's your point? Is it that Srila Sarasasvati Thakura was simply being polite?

I stand corrected by Srila Prabhupada regarding who is more favorable (more favorable to *what* or to *whom*??).

Probably more favorable to Bhagavan and his real devotees. Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura did not agree with the process of giving sidhha pranali at the time of initiation.

However by whom is a sincerely aspiring Vaishnava more likely to be misled (in the sense of being deceived), a "sahajiya" or an "impersonalist"? In that sense, isn't a sahajiya more dangerous?

Probably, yes it would be easier to be deceived by sahajiyaism but that thought should be tempered by the idea that they are at least "more favorable than the impersonalists, who are hopelessly atheistic."

C.C. Madhya 1.34 Purport by Srila Prabhupada,

However, Srila Sarasvati Thakura considered such sahajiyas to be more favorable than the impersonalists, who are hopelessly atheistic. The impersonalists have no idea of the Supreme Personality of Godhead. The position of the sahajiyas is far better than that of the Mayavadi sannyasis. Although the sahajiyas do not think much of Vedic knowledge, they nonetheless have accepted Lord Krishna as the Supreme Lord. Unfortunately, they mislead others from authentic devotional service.

Probably, yes it would be easier to be deceived by sahajiyaism but that thought should be tempered by the idea that they are at least "more favorable than the impersonalists, who are hopelessly atheistic."

I questioned what the meaning of "more favorable" was in this context.

I read it as: the "sahajiyas" are more favorable to the *LORD* than the impersonalists are, not that the true Vaishnavas are more favorable to the sahajiyas than they are to the impersonalists, or that the sahajiya conception is more useful to the aspiring Vaishnava than the impersonalist conception.

Do you see what I'm saying? Does it make sense?

Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura did not agree with the process of giving sidhha pranali at the time of initiation.

That does not mean he considered Vipina Vihari a sahajiya. He did not like VV ever since he placed his foot on Bhaktivinoda's head during the time of initiation.

Siddha pranali was a standard Gaudiya Vaishnava practice at least since the times of Krsnadasa Kaviraja Goswami - that is not a reason to call all these people sahajiyas.

That does not mean he considered Vipina Vihari a sahajiya. He did not like VV ever since he placed his foot on Bhaktivinoda's head during the time of initiation.

Siddha pranali was a standard Gaudiya Vaishnava practice at least since the times of Krsnadasa Kaviraja Goswami - that is not a reason to call all these people sahajiyas.

We are just repeating Srila Sridhar Maharaj.

I questioned what the meaning of "more favorable" was in this context.

I read it as: the "sahajiyas" are more favorable to the *LORD* than the impersonalists are, not that the true Vaishnavas are more favorable to the sahajiyas than they are to the impersonalists, or that the sahajiya conception is more useful to the aspiring Vaishnava than the impersonalist conception.

Do you see what I'm saying? Does it make sense?

Sure, it could mean that also.