IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Arjuna Haridas

Confusion

Rate this topic

Namaste to all

I'm planning to devote myself to Rama, and I'm confused as to what exactly to call Him.

Many refer to Him as "Ram". However, Shastras call Him "Rama" (with the long "A" sound). Even Brahmana call Him "Ram". Which one is preferred?

Namaste to all

I'm planning to devote myself to Rama, and I'm confused as to what exactly to call Him.

Many refer to Him as "Ram". However, Shastras call Him "Rama" (with the long "A" sound). Even Brahmana call Him "Ram". Which one is preferred?

There is no long "A" at the end of the name of Lord Rāma. Whether the short "a" at the end of the name is pronounced is an open question for Sanskritists.

Generally whether it is pronounced or not is dependent on what part of India people live in and what is their native language and dialect.

There is no long "A" at the end of the name of Lord Rāma. Whether the short "a" at the end of the name is pronounced is an open question for Sanskritists.

Generally whether it is pronounced or not is dependent on what part of India people live in and what is their native language and dialect.

Thanks for your response.

So If I pronounce the Name of Rama as "Ram", it'll still be effective (as the Rama Nama mantra)?

Balarama, Ramacandra, Baladeva, Rama, Ram ... are all glorious names of Sri Rama. Even Nityananda can be considered a name of Lord Balarama.

The potency of chanting "Rama": http://vedabase.net/cc/madhya/9/32/en

If you know the story of Ravana kidnapping Mother Sita you will enjoy this verse: http://vedabase.net/cc/madhya/1/117/en

That story starts here: http://vedabase.net/cc/madhya/9/202/en

Thanks for your response.

So If I pronounce the Name of Rama as "Ram", it'll still be effective (as the Rama Nama mantra)?

Sikshastakam Verse Two:

Oh my Lord your holy name can alone render all benediction upon the living being and therefore you have hundreds and millions of names like Krishna, Govinda etc. In these transcendental names You have invested all Your transcendental energies and there is no hard and fast rules for chanting these holy names. Oh my Lord You have so kindly made easy approach to You by Your holy name but unfortunate as I am, I have no attraction for them.

Sri Rama Jaya Rama Jaya Jaya Rama

This is the mantra which is chanted by those whose ishta-deva is Ramachandraji. In our times, if you want to explore the path of Rama worship and devotion, I would suggest you become acquainted with the Ramanandis, who are a branch of the Shri Sampradaya of Ramanuja. They are widely active in most parts of India, and more so in Ayodhya, the accepted birthplace of the greenish-hued deity.

Goswami Tulsidas, the composer of the famed Shri Ramacharitamanas in the Avadhi language, was initiated in the Ramananda sampradaya. He was a contemporary of the Gaudiya abhidheya-acharya, Srila Rupa Goswamipada.

My two paisa regarding your query.

Dear

Please dont try to make the LORD limited to names or pronounsation. As THE GOD IS 'UNLIMITED'

HENCE IN OTHER WORDS YOU MAY CALL 'HIM' AS YOU WISH TO, BUT ONLY BEING A DEVOTEE IN LOVE...

SHRI RADHEY

LOKESHAV 'PRATIKSHAK'