IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
suchandra

I Take This Risk

Rate this topic

Devotees of the Lord sometimes take up a risk in order to please the Lord as desribed in the Ramayana - that although Jatayu knew that he couldn't defeat Ravana, still, he took that risk trying to save Sita devi.

4kecuhw.jpg

This spirit when trying to please the Lord and taking a risk was also seen when Prabhupada started to spread Lord Caitanya's Sankirtan Movement.

"Kirtanananda was awarded the position of a Sannyasi because he wanted it although I could understand it that he wanted to be a spiritual master himself. Lord Caitanya wanted every one should be a spiritual master provided he follows the order of Lord Caitanya. The Lord's mission was to defeat the Mayavada philosophy and establish in the philosophy of Krishna consciousness because Krishna is the Supreme Lord the Personality of Godhead."

full letter

(Navadvip, November 2, 1967)

Sometimes this spirit of taking a risk might be considered as too daring, too bold. But who can understand the dealings between the Supreme Lord and His pure devotee?

"Kirtanananda was awarded the position of a Sannyasi because he wanted it although I could understand it that he wanted to be a spiritual master himself. Lord Caitanya wanted every one should be a spiritual master provided he follows the order of Lord Caitanya. The Lord's mission was to defeat the Mayavada philosophy and establish in the philosophy of Krishna consciousness because Krishna is the Supreme Lord the Personality of Godhead."

full letter

(Navadvip, November 2, 1967)

........ width="425" height="366">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MYdgoRfV8k&rel=1&border=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="366" width="425">

Arrrgh...!!! No thanks I won't risk hitting that You Tube start button and listening to what may come out. Remember Pandora's box.

Guess Guruvani prabhu wants to say, yes, Prabhupada kept right, he wants to be a spiritual master?

52z67i8.jpg

In Greek mythology, Pandora was the first woman. Each god helped create her by giving her unique gifts. Zeus ordered her creation as a punishment for mankind, in retaliation for Prometheus' having stolen fire and then giving it to humans for their use. She is most famous for carrying a jar (pithos) (or box) containing all the world's evils. She releases these evils, but closes the lid before Hope can escape.

The Lord's mission was to defeat the Mayavada philosophy and establish in the philosophy of Krishna consciousness because Krishna is the Supreme Lord the Personality of Godhead

Defeat *philosophy*, right? Not insult, dismiss, or denigrate the Mayavadi philosophers.

I'm not sure what the point is. That Kirtananda was asked to become spiritual master? No. That's simply false.

That Kirtananda didn't want to take sanyassa - Well he took it up. That was the risk? The damage was done primarily when he deviated during his Zonal Guru phase. He didn't just take that risk - he seized it forcibly.

The video is K. chanting Hare Krsna - Hopefully he keeps doing that.

I'm not sure what the point is.

Prabhupada says in letter above that Kirtananda was given sannyasa not because Prabhupada considered him as qualified but because Kirtananda demanded it. Additionally Prabhupada found out that Kirtananda wanted to give up the position of being a disciple and become a spiritual master himself, this was already 1967. But still Prabhupada would stick to his decision to entrust Kirtananda 800 devotees to manage their spiritual lives as a GBC, TP and sannyasi. What's so unsure to call this, taking a risk?

If one has full faith and trust in the Lord, one might not see it as a risk.

Prabhupada uses this word, it's not my invention.

Prabhupada spoke several times of taking a risk, when saying, "I have left Bharata-bhumi, just to execute the order of Sri Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati, in pursuance of Lord Chaitanya's order. I have no qualification, but have taken up the risk, just to carry out the order of His Divine Grace. By his strong desire, the Holy Name of the Lord Gauranga will spread throughout all the countries of the western world. In all the cities, town and villages on the earth, from all the oceans, seas, rivers and streams, everyone will chant the Holy Name of Krishna."

Or,

"I am sometimes criticized by my godbrothers, that I have become a "marriage-maker," but they do not know why I take this risk. I have got many disciples, they are married couples, but all of them, husband and wife, they are helping this movement. I am very much hopeful that my disciples who are now participating will continue to advance, so, even if I die, my movement will not stop. I am very much hopeful. All these nice boys and girls... Bhaktivinoda Thakura wanted that European and American people may understand the philosophy of Chaitanya cult, and take part in it. That was his desire..."

Or,

"Yes. This is sure to happen because we are accepting so many men. It is the duty of the disciples to be cautious. "My spiritual master has saved me. I should not put him again into suffering." When the spiritual master is in suffering, Krsna saves him. Krsna thinks, "Oh, he has taken so much responsibility for delivering a fallen person." So Krsna is there. Kaunteya pratijanihi na me bhaktah pranasyati [bg. 9.31]. Because the spiritual master takes the risk on account of Krsna."

Bhakti Sudhir Goswami Maharaja once told us that some of the "pada-squad" titles were actually higher than the title Prabhupada.

There was Bhaktipada - at whos feet bhakti sits?

There is Gurupada - at whos feet all the gurus sit?

How about "Krishnapada" - at whos feet Krishna sits?

I don't remember all the names of the Pada-squad, but I was told that most of them were bogus titles that were offensive to Srila Prabhupada and the predecessor acharyas.

These guys were a bunch of knucklehead neophytes taking on titles superior to the title Prabhupada.

Prabhupada uses this word, it's not my invention.

You have a point there.

No doubt Srila Prabhupada was aware of the "risks" he was taking--your quotes are ample evidence of that.

Obviously, he was willing and even eager to take those risks in service to his Gurudev. Surely *that* is a sign of his trust in the Lord and his surrendered state. In that he was fully-surrendered to the Lord, while there might have been some risk involved in the relative plane, Srila Prabhupada himself was never at risk. Beyond that, the Vaishnava does what he/she can to serve and realizes that whatever results from that service is somehow the will of the Lord.

That's what I *meant* to say, but it's hard to fit that into a neat, little one-liner. :)

From the internet at http://www.geocities.com/mahaksadasa/jatayu.html

"The Vulture King, the antithetical archetype of Arjuna, my namesake, and a real example, leading the way for us, setting a course of action for us to be able to follow in circumstances the material world might consider less than ideal. (Arjuna fought and "won," Jatayu fought and "lost," but the outcome was identical in both cases, i.e., the Lord was served and the devotee was rewarded with eternal causeless service.)

52p7bcm.jpg

Sri Jatayu simply serves, in devotion, without attachment to outcome, never faltering in defeat, never turning from his mission out of fear, never running from pain in his temporary body, always thinking of his Lord and His Lord's servant.

Imagine if we could be so fortunate to carry this attitude through our daily lives. Knowing that we walk, fearlessly, straight down the path that leads us home. Confident that our actions and thoughts in devotion ARE the correct course, like the river, flowing confidently toward Ananta-Sesa. Certainly, devotees have withdrawn their association from me because i've chosen to live in the world instead of a temple. Is my faith less valuable? Perhaps i have a different form of the mission. There are many i speak to of KRSNA whose faces light because they see that we know ONE GOD. There are many who hear the Holy Names and are instantly attracted, inquiring to me,"what is that beautiful sound?"

Not a proficient quoter, i can't tell you where, but i do know that in the purports of His Divine Grace Srila Prabhupada's books, we are reminded to serve HIM, Think of HIM, speak HIS NAMES, discuss HIS PASTIMES, visualize HIS FORMS, serve HIS servants regardless of our station, our dharma, our material circumstance. The straw in the street is not in the temple, before the DIETY, being jumped on at mangala-artika by the devotees. It is in the street, being trampled by pure, aspiring, and fallen devotee alike, by animal butcher, politician, child and by common men and women, who for some reason or another, are so fortunate as to have found the LORD and are full of various levels of faith in HIM, and by demons who spit on the straw at the thought of a "god" more powerful than themselves. Yet, Sri KRSNA CHAITANYA advises us to think of ourselves at this level, beneath the straw, without discrimination.

One may perform harinam sankirtam on a busy sidewalk, distributing Love of GODHEAD along with a book. Another may work in the computer dept. of a large corporation, performing harinam sankirtam barely audibly, but no less transcendentally powerful, as he/she goes about the day. One may think of KRSNA while trying to propogate the virtues of church structures. Another while explaining whethre their actions are appropriate. The key is to approach one's life with the bravery of Sri Jatayu, unnattached to outcomes or personal, material safety...confident in the final disposition of all action dedicated in devotion to LORD SYAMASUNDARA.

Beneath the straw in the street, ultimately, is the point of reflection of the spiritual reality of that most fortunate straw where, perhaps, the author of Mukunda Mala Stotra can be found if his request has been granted; beneath the straw of the cowheard boys trail, trampled in ecstacy by the feet of of the LORDS friends or maybe even KRSNA HIMSELF. Srila Prabhupada's early devotees were very expert at exhibiting the bravery of Sri Jatayu as they faced a world that often judged them for their newfound culture and their sometimes "blind service" of their teacher. Now as the devotees are numerous enough that we can hide in their ranks or temporarily powerful enough that we can be excluded from their ranks this presents us with even more opportunity to exhibit this bravery, facing death with every step, HIS NAME on our lips, HIS FORM in our minds, serving HIM without regard to the effects of that service (perceived as good OR bad) on our material container and situations.

When a bit of fear or forgetfulness creeps up on you, remember the bravery of Sri Jatayu in his offering of his entire being to the service of the LORD, remember his singleminded focus, let perceived pain bring your mind back to his story again and again.

your servant in devotion

savyasacin

RADHE-SYAMA"