IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Jahnava Nitai Das

From Caru's Newsletter: Ramesvara Dasa at LA Ratha Yatra

Rate this topic

Thanks for clarifying. I *do* remember how wonderful Mangal Arati was in '77-'78 (when I was a new Gurukuli).

I haven't made it for Mangal in L.A. recently, but I made it for the greeting of the deities this past May during the Prabhupada festival, and, while it wasn't the same (more grey in the crowd :), it was still very enthusiastic and enlivening. I imagine it gets pretty mild during the average week. Of course, those Deities are the same (or even *more* beautiful and munificent).

I really can't speak about the L.A. temple during the period of 1986-1994 as I was living with my Dad in New York City during that time and spending my summers in Santa Cruz with my Mom. In 1994, I graduated from college and moved back in with my Dad who was living in Malibu at the time. From 1994-1997, I spent a bit of time at the L.A. Temple.

I'm not offended, I just know that I can barely remember anything of what I did when I was 6 years old. If you don't mind can you tell us what your parents initiated names are? Hey and how is Rukmini doing? When I met her I had no idea of what was going on, I had just flown in from Maui where I had been without any info about ISKCON for 4 years, and even when I got to L.A. I didn't talk with anybody about what was going on with temple leaders and whatnot, there was no internet back then either.

Mother: Rasangi Devi Dasi (ACBSP)

Father: Dharmadhyaksa Dasa (ACBSP)

Step-Father: Raghavendu Dasa (ACBSP)

I haven't actually spoken with Rukmini in many years. I've seen her at Ratha Yatra and, as I said, I saw her daughter at the Reunion last year (I think it was last year, I skipped the Reunion this year and just went to Ratha Yatra).

I'm not offended, I just know that I can barely remember anything of what I did when I was 6 years old. If you don't mind can you tell us what your parents initiated names are? Hey and how is Rukmini doing? When I met her I had no idea of what was going on, I had just flown in from Maui where I had been without any info about ISKCON for 4 years, and even when I got to L.A. I didn't talk with anybody about what was going on with temple leaders and whatnot, there was no internet back then either.

I haven't actually spoken with Rukmini in many years. I've seen her at Ratha Yatra and, as I said, I saw her daughter at the Reunion last year (I think it was last year, I skipped the Reunion this year and just went to Ratha Yatra).

did your parents ever live in Badger?

Don't know them, probably saw them around L.A though.

I talked to Raghavendu about 3 years ago here at the New Raman Reti temple and he was telling me his wife had more or less cut him loose and run him off.

He was all smiles and a true pleasure to talk to.

I guess your Mom wanted him to start moving towards the vanaprastha stage?

Hey, to me, Raghavendu is a nectar soul.

I am not an intimate friend, but what little association I got I really enjoyed.

I love Raghavendu as much as I love my birth father.

He is such a sweet, sincere devotee.

He can also be as neurotic as Woody Allen or Jerry Lewis' screen personas. He worries about money, the future, high property costs in this area, etc.

I worry plenty too, but I try to remind him (as he's always reminding me about spiritual principles) that we must trust in the Lord, and that, while it behooves us to utilize our intelligence, worrying is wasted energy.

He and my mother are living together again, though Raghavendu is working on the East Coast for a bit at the moment (we got to spend some time with him on our recent vacation).

I talked to Raghavendu about 3 years ago here at the New Raman Reti temple and he was telling me his wife had more or less cut him loose and run him off.

He was all smiles and a true pleasure to talk to.

I guess your Mom wanted him to start moving towards the vanaprastha stage?

Hey, to me, Raghavendu is a nectar soul.

I am not an intimate friend, but what little association I got I really enjoyed.

Maybe it's time to rename this thread "...And the Kitchen Sink"

:)

I love Raghavendu as much as I love my birth father.

He is such a sweet, sincere devotee.

He can also be as neurotic as Woody Allen or Jerry Lewis' screen personas. He worries about money, the future, high property costs in this area, etc.

I worry plenty too, but I try to remind him (as he's always reminding me about spiritual principles) that we must trust in the Lord, and that, while it behooves us to utilize our intelligence, worrying is wasted energy.

He and my mother are living together again, though Raghavendu is working on the East Coast for a bit at the moment (we got to spend some time with him on our recent vacation).