IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guruvani

Is Mahaprabhu Sadhu?

Rate this topic

"If a devotee accepts Lord Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu as the universal guru and Lord Jagannatha as the Supreme Personality of Godhead Krsna, he is benefited by the combined mercy of Krsna and guru." - Madhya 13.18 purport

The reason I started this topic was because I found something in the books of Srila Prabhupada that I had never really seen before and it struck me as quite interesting.

I never really thought of Mahaprabhu as the sadhu in "sadhu, shastra and guru", but something Srila Prabhupada wrote really put me to thinking.

Śrī Caitanya Caritāmṛta Madhya 17.185 purport,

Narottama dāsa Ṭhākura says, sādhu-śāstra-guru-vākya, cittete kariyā aikya: "One should accept as one's guide the words of the sādhus, the śāstra and the guru." A sādhu is a great personality like Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu, the śāstras are the injunctions of revealed scriptures, and the guru, or spiritual master, is one who confirms the scriptural injunctions. Accepting the guidance of these three is the actual way of following the great personalities (mahājanas) for real advancement in life (mahājano yena gataḥ sa panthāḥ).

It looks as if Srila Prabhupada's idea of a sadhu was of the highest standard.

The reason I started this topic was because I found something in the books of Srila Prabhupada that I had never really seen before and it struck me as quite interesting.

I never really thought of Mahaprabhu as the sadhu in "guru, shastra and sadhu", but something Srila Prabhupada wrote really put me to thinking.

Śrī Caitanya Caritāmṛta Madhya 17.185 purport,

It looks as if Srila Prabhupada's idea of a sadhu was of the highest standard.

I think this is a very valid point. Only Gaudiya Vaishnavas see Mahaprabhu as the incarnation of God, but virtually all Hindus see him as a great sadhu. Even many of Indian Muslims see Mahaprabhu as a great sadhu.

The sadhus generally refer to those we associate with physically (adau sraddha tatha sadhu sanga...). "First one develops faith, and then one begins to associate with the sadhus and receives instructions in devotional activities (bhajana kriya)."

I accept Jahanava Nitai's point of physical presence. He played many roles including householder & sannyasi as well a sadhu.

The distinction is one of seeing Him as a figure of the past to how we can elate to Him now.

Prabhupada said "universal guru" so why is that not allright?

Prabhupada said "universal guru" so why is that not allright?

Universal Guru is just great. It's also not a role we are urged to emulate.

On the other hand, if we can, under the guidance of Sri Guru, follow in the footsteps of Mahaprabhu the Sadhu, we will get all benefit.

On the other hand, if we can, under the guidance of Sri Guru, follow in the footsteps of Mahaprabhu the Sadhu, we will get all benefit.

Are sure? Perhaps you should read this quote more carefully.

["If a devotee accepts Lord Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu as the universal guru and Lord Jagannatha as the Supreme Personality of Godhead Krsna, he is benefited by the combined mercy of Krsna and guru." - Madhya 13.18 purport

Are sure? Perhaps you should read this quote more carefully.

Accepting Mahaprabhu as the Universal Guru is not the same thing as trying to *emulate* Mahaprabhu as Universal Guru.

That is my point.

In terms of sadhana, one can follow a sadhu. As aspiring sadhus, we would not be advised to *imitate* the Universal Guru, correct?

Good point.

As well, the universal guru Mahaprabhu has a disciplic succession coming from him to his disciples Sri Rupa and Sri Sanatan Goswami etc.

The universal guru Mahaprabhu also instructed about the importance of the disciplic succession and certainly never intended to be the end of the disciplic succession.

If we follow the teachings of the universal guru Mahaprabhu, then we also have to accept his instructions on the importance of accepting the guru parampara, especially the parampara that stems from him to his disciples and so on.

Accepting Mahaprabhu as the Universal Guru is not the same thing as trying to *emulate* Mahaprabhu as Universal Guru.

That is my point.

In terms of sadhana, one can follow a sadhu. As aspiring sadhus, we would not be advised to *imitate* the Universal Guru, correct?

I see your point and concede it but in a somewhat qualified way. Trying to emulate or imitate Mahaprabhu as a sadhu would also be problematic.

Maybe I am seeing the word sadhu in a different way than you. Rightly or wrongly I don't accept sadhu as an eternal designation but as a temporary one. Someone can be a sadhu and still not be cent per cent pure. Whereas Universal Guru would be an eternal designation.

And we are to emulate Mahaprabhu as Guru to our capacity as He instructed in South India to one devotee who wanted to renounce his family and go Mahaprabhu. He instructed him to remain where he was stationed and asking everyone he met to chant Hare Krsna and in that way be guru.

Seeing from this angle guru is very appropriate to apply to Mahaprabhu but I also accept your angle that sadhu is as well.