IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
mahak

what to do

Rate this topic

Funny, on another thread I randomly posted an excerpt from a novel Im working on, and it dealt (in a hidden way) with what to do when life3 goes on.....and on, and on, and on:

(excerpt).....

"Singing sweet melodies", Anoina so pleased to sing to he beloved associate, "This is my message to you. Don't worry bout a thing." The onset of the monsoon season guaranteed their inseparable reunification. All the waves of changes past, the family from the refuge of Huelo Point, headed for the waves to come. The monsoon season was like a time out. As the skies and the sea became more agitated and turbulent, a glow of serenity blessed the lives of Martin, Anoina, and their growing gift from Jah, Kuhio. And the weeks during Fall and early Winter of 1977 saw the great swells of Hookipa Beach. International surfing champions filled the hotels of Kahului and the North Shore breaks. When the sun rose above the horizon, Gary and Martin would be at the outside break. They would be long gone by the time the pros arrived. Anoina, too, was becoming quite well-known as an eccentric, yet she rode the huge waves like she had at Anuhola. There was an absence of competitive feelings in the water at sunrise. Michael always kidded Gary Costello's style, wide survival stance with his back to the right-breaking point. He was no one to grace a surfing magazine, but no one pictured in a magazine would be on a larger wave or in a better position on the wave than Gary. Martin w2as the same way, only sneakier and faster, and more aerodynamic. Anoina, on the other hand, had to be seen to actually conceive of her way with the power of the ocean. With her small hand board, as big as a baseball glove, she would push her leading hand straight down as her powerful legs and Churchill fins propelled her into the waves. Once in the pocket, two feet below the smoking cresty of the waves, she would drop twenty feet straight down the face, carving her own artistry with her handboard. On these waves, she had no interest to challenge the pipe, she would just get to the shoulder and pop out over the top. The pipe would be saved for her last ride of the day. Sometimes her and Martin would share a wave, sometimes all three would ride. Kewela would be sketching it all from the beach, playing with Koleka and Kuhio, Kaya, Wendy, Alana, and all who showed up. Kewela and Gary were inseparable and living in Makawao, and the mauka road between the Costello ranch and Huelo Point was well-traveled by both families. Sometimes, all six of them would just change houses, travelling the road together. It was a wonderful time of healing remedies and spiritual rebirth.

...from Kipu'ka by mahaksadasa

Purport....Srila Prabhupada has left us, who are we? The waves of illusion still crash all around us, yet we have a need to keep surfing, otherwise, there is no more life in us, either, and our disappearance is different than our appearance, not a transcendental event.

Some are the pros, needing their enouurage in order to be what they want to portray. The cameras, the agents, the competition judges, so they'll be in around ten, after bre4akfast, after the strategy sessions. But the waves were best at 6 A.M., and some surfed, not caring at all about cameras, and actually didnt care to even watch the fiasco of OFFICIAL surfing. So we ride the trim, and get drowned and swamped now and then, but we still surf. The pros still surf, too, but the cameras may be focussed on the younger, more powerful, more talented prosw, and there are still kids out there at 6 A.M., getting better waves, better ridesw, and are long gone before the throngs arrive.

Hare Krsna, ys mahaksadasa

Happy 4th, amerikans, dont blow yourself up.

Rebirth

When the travelers left Poli Poli the next morning, Gary offered them the shelter of his Makawao homestead. He did not like the idea of their isolation at Huelo Point during harvest season. The herb growing industry had been taken over by black marketeers, and aqn undesirable element had infiltrated the area. Increasing bushwhacking violence, military raids of households, and the night thieves made the area dangerous for unprotected women and children. Anoina knew that people were walking her land, and did not discourage Gary's chivalry. She knew that she was protected by O Jahovia, but she also knew that He sent His Own to protect her as well. She would be able to maintain the homestead until Martin's return, and greatly appreciated Gary's hospitality.

September was a new life for Gary. As the swells started rolling into Hookipa, he found himself daily at the beach instead of wrapped up in the anxiety of business. He was no longer alone, always in the company of his dear friends. Anoina was able to harvest two pounds of buds from her many stunts, without any losses except for her seed stock. Because those plants were unmanicured, the four feet high bushes were visible to the night thieves. She was upset that Chula's donation to her refuge was gone, but then she found a branch of the female plant in her driveway, apparently lopped off by a car door. She was glad she was in Makawao at night as she was glad Chula's strain lived in the branch left behind. She praised the workings of O Jahovia, and asked Him from the depths of her heart for the ability to give Jah Love, to repay the love He always shows her.

She went to the post office on her way back to Makawao and received two uplifting letters. She opened up the letter from Robert Dunphey first, reading his request for her, Martin and David to do some studio work. She thought of Gary's insistance on them playing together again. She thought of the Kaaawaqs, who she saw less frequently, and she sighed deeply as she drove to Baldwin Park to read the letter from Martin. She got high and she and Kuhiop walked almost to Spreklesville on the park limits before she sat to read his words. He has been away from the refuge for almost five weeks and she was mildlky anxious on reading his letter.

"My dear refuge, Babylon is frinished with me. Whatever is left of my leg is sufficiently healed and my schooling on bootwalking is sufficient. I will be returning to you next Saturday at 1 PM. I cannot writre about the separation I have felt, nor can I write about the dream that broke the spell of darkness right before I left. But I do write of the joy I feel at the reunification we will have. The anguish of separation sweetens the nectar of joining. We will have to celebrate Jah's love in a special way when we become one again. Aloha Pumehana, my life Kuhio and my dearest Anoina. One God, One Love, Praise Him. Martin." Warm tears of joy washed the lonliness from the heart of Mata Anoina, and Kuhio, although so young, felt a new security.

While Anoina excitedly spread the great news at Makawao that evening, a frightened indigenous Peruvian was desperately running away from government troops looking for Shining Path guerillas. Four thousand miles accross the sea, he left the dense rain forest and ran along the beach. As he reached an impassable lava flow from the Andes Mauntain Volcanoes, he prayed to the Creator for refuge. Noticing a wrecked piece of wood on the floe delivered from the crashing waves, he paddles the ancient surfboard around the floe to the security of the next valley. Michael Kaanakuhio's surfboard could not be found because the Will of the Creator had another use for it. Michael's Mission thus complete, an unknown security overcame Kewela as she shared the Joy of her friend.

Kewela was wanting to help Anoina prepare Huelo Point for Martin's homecoming, and they left early the next morning to do just that. Gary had business in Wailuku, arranging for construction of the future homestead in Keanae Valley and putting the Makawao Ranch on the market. Kewela spoke to Anoina, "Our love grows daily and we hope to someday enter marriage. Honor is now due our late loved ones, and Gary needs to start anew. His home has become a prison, but he sees the valley as the refuge supplied by God. He feels bu8rdened by his wealth, but he also sees the needs of the people. He is trying to funnel his donations in such a way that will go to the people. Hana Ohana uses most funds for political purposes, and Gary is more interested in alleviating the problems in the tenements and tent cities. I think he wants to start a foundation to continue the traditional ways, preserve the homesteads and carry out Michael's work. He has already donated ten acres in Hilo to create a truck farm for the residents of the projects to grow their own food. He is finally able to enjoy the wealth the Creator has allowed him to possess. I think he wants to do another benefit soon, and I am sure he will find a reason to do so. He asked me last night how to pray to God, and I told him to call His Name like Jah David recommends in his ancient poetry. Is there any secret to talking to God?"

Anoina, feeling unqualified to answer such an important question, humbly replied to her dear friend. "O Jahovia needs nothing because He is complete in Himself. When we choose to serve Him, we are actually serving our own best interests. The food we offer to Him becomes food for spiritual life after He glances on our sacrifice. We develop our love for Him, because His Love for us is already eternally fully developed. As we increase our attraction to Him, He accepts us as His Own. I have no need for dis baby, but when he cries 'Ano, Ano!' my heart melts in his favor. I shield him, I feed him, I give my life to him. O Jahovia is that way with us. He is self-sufficient and not needing dese residents of Babylon, but when He hears a voice from di fiyeh, crying 'O Jah, Krishna, Allah', His heart melts in the same way, like the mother for her child. The beauty of Jah Love is the reciprocation, the ongoing conversation and relationship between the Creator and His Created."

Thus receiving the gist of all world scriptures in one short statement, Kewela talked to God directly as she was accustomed to doing. But the prayers were not just her to God any more, for she knew Jah placed His Own in her presence to pronounce His Message. Although still seeing Anoina as a 28 year old Hawaiian woman with a small child, she also saqw the blazing fire of spiritual essence that she was able to share confidences with. She thought of Anoina's shaman, Mata Chula, and understood the baptism of Lord Jesus Christ. She said, "When Lord Jesus Christ approached his brother, John, for initiation, John was feeling unqualified. However, the Son of Man taught by His actions that children of Babylon must seek out one to point the way to Jah's refuge and how one must submit oneself to such shaman. This submission is not like the slavery demanded by demoniac missionaries. Submission comes in all forms, as friend, as parent, as child, as confidential mate. I have learned so much from you, Ano, and now I serve you by teaching those who Jah sends to me."

Anoina felt uncomfortable at hearing her praises, yet did nopt protest. Chula was the same way when Anoina called her Mata Shaman. She was grateful for the chance to spread the message of her teacher, and praised Jah for His Way of preserving the Nation of Israel. Off the wall, she laughed, "Not beeg boom from di sky for the multitudes on Sunday morning, but a small spark in di heart in one's darkest hour."

They stopped at Hookipa Beach at the sight of the waves. The first North Swell was hitting and no one was at the outside break. Only Michael and Martin were fool enough to go there, and no new candidates were available to accept their reins. Anoina had a strong urge to ride some inner breaks, so out she went. As Kewela was tending Koleka and Kuhio, the Kaaawa twins, Wendy and Alana, joined in the fun. Kaya and Kewela only met briefly at the Waikiki Shell, and exchanged pleasantries. As Anoina ripped through the waves, more surfers arrived to discuss, from the beach, their strategies for the outside break. Everyone was surprised to see the small figure of a body surfer drop into a twenty-foot high break on the outside reef. Anoina was engulfed by the wave, reappearing nopw and then as sections of the wave collapsed behind her. She stayed on the wave for the re-break and rode the foamy waters all the way to the sand. Everyone was staring at her in wonder as she casually walked up to greet Wendy, Alana, and Kaya. Kewela just said, "Nice wave, Ano."

October 1 was homecoming day for the repaired veteran, and Anoina was ecsatatic as she awoke. Kewela and Koleka went with Gary to the Big Island, and Aonina quickly went from Makawao to Huelo Point, to prepare for the arrival of their greatly missed martin. She knew he would like to get high and she prepared a great feast for his return. Huelo Point was serene again, as the harvest was complete by the arrival of the monsoon. She could think of no better conditions for his return than a torrential downpour reminiscent of their first reunion in Iao Valley, when the tired stranger limped to assist an unknown soul in distress.

All morning, she thought of that day almost two years ago, the day her new daqy began. "What possessed that man", she thought, "to help me. If my car had been running, I surely would have not stopped for him, even though he was drenched. As we rode out of the storm and got high at Maalaea, I just stared at him. I wasn't after a man, but I stared through him to the core of his heart. Then I found out that O Jahovia had actually sent him with Mata Chula. He was quiet then, too, couldn't even utter his own name to me." Then she placed her attention to the wonderful manifestation created by their reunification, Kuhio. He was also excited, almost knowing his refuge was returning also. Huelo was in a state of rebirth.

Anoina was filled with various emotiuons as she parked her wagon at the airport. She was thinking, "Was he going to hobble on crutches, roll out on a wheelchair? Will he be addicted to pain killers? How can I heal him?" Anticipation filled her as she awaited him. A tap on her shoulder from behind produced a shriek of joy as their eyes finally met again. Tears of joy covered their faces as they embraced to the dictates of their unity. They were going to their refuge together to Praise Him who made the cool fiyeh to ease their tribulations. They walked through the fiyeh but the fiyeh did not burn. It just lit the spark of Jah Love in their soul.

Martin, besides now being noticably a haole, looked fit and healthy. He had a more pronounced limp, but he walked much better since Anoina had met him. He was anxious to eat food first offered to O Jahovia, anxious for discussions of reality, anxious to spend serene times with his beloved Anoina and Kuhio, anxious to taste the herbal euphoria, and, after hearing of Anoina's wave Thursday morning, anxious to lose the leg and ride his favorite Hookipa break.

Anoina said, "I speak every day, and now I convey my heart to you. I no can talk. Please tell me all you know, don't hide from me any more." Martin was overwhelmed by her loving devotion and felt unqualified to recieve such love. So he gave Jah Love. "I relived a lot of war when in the VA. So many broken bodies. So many forgotten people. Though some may pity my plight, I didn't feel any problems of my own. I surf, I stay high, I associate freely with alii. Jah blows my foot off, lets me die and gives me rebirth. Why has He chosen a fool like me to be His Own. He gives me you to keep me strong. He gives me Kuhio to preserve my youth. He gives me friends like Gary, Kekela, Michael, Kewela, Koleka and the Kaaawas to prevent the soldiers of Babylon from misleading me. So many soldiers are left to rot but I get first-class leg and my pension doubled. I pray on beads, I bow my head, I see Him in His creation, but how can I pleaswe Him in proportion to how He pleases me. We both know His sense of humor, but His real perfection is how He shows us how to worship. Jesus did not preach Jesus, He preached Abbah, Jahovia, Eloha. But Jahovia has made the Messaiah the one to love. It is the true purpose of existance. Not a god without face on a throne casting infidels into fiyeh. But One True God neveh away from His Own, His Own neveh away from O Jahovia. I(n Zion, in Babylon, no mattah, they are always together. I sound too much like preacher mon, but if my Ano say 'speak', I speak."

"You smoke da kine, welcome back into my heart," Anoina replied, handing him a custom filtered joint she had prepared. She was praising O jahovia for the nectar filling her ears from her silent Martin.

Martin continued, "Before I left you, I had a very serious teaching from Kekela in a dream. He told me of the way of life. He showed me my birth, my youth, and my present maturity. He showed me my future aging, my inability to maintain my physical well-being, and finally my death. He taught me that in all six stages, the One God is by my side as guide and refuge. I awoke free from desire to hold on to the temporary world. We have the blessing of our birth, our youth, and our procreation, now we are free to accept as blessing our aging, our dwindling, and our leaving as equal gifts of Creation. It is easy in the bud of youthful exuberance to praise Him for His gifts, but the test of Reciprocal Love is in seeing that He is there to take us to His Kingdom when our work here is done. I accepted gangrine and death as His gift, and He healed me. I saw the frailties of my brother soldiers at the VA, but I saw no deficiency in myself. The future is ours if we accept Jah's Will as our own. Like you and I, we live as one, Jah and His Own live as one, through benediction, through presecution and tribulation, through happiness and distress, we can always call His Names, One God, One Love, Praise Him.

Anoina responded as her shaman Mata Chula always did, "Don't worry, bout a thing, cause every little thing gonna be alright." They were very happy to be with each other again, and stopped at Hookipa to see the decaying huge waves in the afternoon monsoon. A wonderful squall led them to the muddy driveway to their refuge at Huelo Point.

happy squall to yall, mahaksadasa

Wow, Mahaksa-ji!

What lovely, dreamy, musical prose! Reminds me of the magic-realism of Garcia-Marquez.

Considering I live here in Santa Cruz, it's been way too long since I've been in the waves bodysurfing (in my defense, the kids want to go to the pool more often these days (also, not many waves here in the summer)).

Greetings and Salutations!

Way back when, in late sixties, I did the steamer lane, the biggest and best shaped waves california side of rocky point. Lived in Aptos, and spent a little time in bonnie dune. Hope all is well there, thanx for the kind words. Hare krsna, ys, mahaksadasa