IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Why no Onions and Garlic?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Kurma dasa:

-Onions and garlic, and the other Alliums are classified as rajasic and to some extent tamasic, which means that they increase passion and to some degree ignorance.

-Rajasic and tamasic foods are also not used because they are detrimental to meditation and devotions. Of course some of the Alliums have specific health benefits; garlic is respected as a natural antibiotic. In recent years, the cardiovascular implications of vegetable Alliums has been studied in some detail, although the clinical implications of onion and garlic consumption from this point of view are not well understood (Block 1992; Briggs et al. 2001). Nevertheless, despite medical comings and goings, alliums are still avoided by spiritual adherents because they stimulate the central nervous system, can act as a natural aphrodisiac, and disturb meditation.

kurma.net

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I just wanted to know if there has been any research done to prove this is true. What if onions and garlic are consumed with moderation? It is mentioned that they have some benefit. So why not?? I'm just having a hard time with this restriction. I'm a vegetarian and I can understand why coffee and other intoxicants are not taken. I do believe coffee, alcohol and other drugs will disturb meditation But onions and garlic..?? I'm having a hard time with! Yes, if we eat too much of this we can get stinky and cleanliness is very important in K.C.

In advance, I apologize if I offended anyone.. this are my thoughts. thanks. let me know what you think.

Guest guest

Garlic and Onions are considered in the mode of passion by the scriptures - BG 17:9.

Prabhupada has said that we shouldn't offer these things to the deities - Krishna. A devotee of Krishna should only take Krishna Prasadam, so hence - we don't take onions and garlic, because they are unofferable.

Guest guest

Garlic and Onions are considered in the mode of passion by the scriptures - BG 17:9.

Prabhupada has said that we shouldn't offer these things to the deities - Krishna. A devotee of Krishna should only take Krishna Prasadam, so hence - we don't take onions and garlic, because they are unofferable.

Perfect answer.

Guest guest

Thanks for the kind answers.

It's just hard for me sometimes to follow all the dietary principals, since I'm the only devotee in my household. It becomes hard at times and stressful (I'm surrounded by family members who eat meat and don't clean up after themselves).

Hare Krishna :)

Guest guest

Also, they increase the lust feelings and the urge to have sex.

Kurma dasa:

-Onions and garlic, and the other Alliums are classified as rajasic and to some extent tamasic, which means that they increase passion and to some degree ignorance.

-Rajasic and tamasic foods are also not used because they are detrimental to meditation and devotions. Of course some of the Alliums have specific health benefits; garlic is respected as a natural antibiotic. In recent years, the cardiovascular implications of vegetable Alliums has been studied in some detail, although the clinical implications of onion and garlic consumption from this point of view are not well understood (Block 1992; Briggs et al. 2001). Nevertheless, despite medical comings and goings, alliums are still avoided by spiritual adherents because they stimulate the central nervous system, can act as a natural aphrodisiac, and disturb meditation.

kurma.net

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I just wanted to know if there has been any research done to prove this is true. What if onions and garlic are consumed with moderation? It is mentioned that they have some benefit. So why not?? I'm just having a hard time with this restriction. I'm a vegetarian and I can understand why coffee and other intoxicants are not taken. I do believe coffee, alcohol and other drugs will disturb meditation But onions and garlic..?? I'm having a hard time with! Yes, if we eat too much of this we can get stinky and cleanliness is very important in K.C.

In advance, I apologize if I offended anyone.. this are my thoughts. thanks. let me know what you think.

Thank you. Not that sex is wrong but it must be within the institution of marriage. else, it is considered illicit sex which will slow down one on the path of realization.

thankx for giving this info.........

now i will try to not to eat......these both.