IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Shakti-Fan

Srila Prabhupada’s Greatest Accomplishment!

Rate this topic

Where do you get lack of integrity from? Because I agree with most of the devotees who say that Prabhupada said it? You have one post where somebody says Prabudpada didn't say it. There is no inconsistency just because I'm tired of splitting hairs. Either way it's a characterization of myself that you need. Ad hominem being your primary strategy.

Definitely, look at the last half of the posts on the thread called "preaching". gHari posts a Folio conversation with Srila Prabhupada on 02/25/77, eight months and a few days before Prabhupada leaves this world in Vrndavan. Its clear that the "purity is the force, books are the basis..." thing is first being introduced. And NOT by Prabhupada. cbrahma then comes back and posts that he knows that Prabhupada really said this and that its in several BBT books which are edited lectures and talks published after 1977. After this cbrahma continues to insist that Prabhupada "said" the "purity is the force..." thing. When asked to quote Prabhupada and prove his point cbrahma replies, "

There are more important places to put my energy at this point." What can I say? I know. This guy's got no integrity as a poster.

Since you are an authority on my views, what am I changing my view from?

Mr anonymous Guest.

Look closely:

You just keep changing your views every week. This is the product of speculation!

Sometime back, you book-vadis were saying C. Now you claim that Bhakti yoga is a community endeavor. Make up your mind!

He/she is claiming that you are changing back and forth from,"... no association is necessary and books are enough." to "Bhakti yoga is a community endeavor". "what am I changing my view from?". Guest is drawing these conclusions about your views from what you are writing.

I got what Mr Guest is saying. I need support for that allegation.

I have never said association is not important.

Look closely:

He/she is claiming that you are changing back and forth from,"... no association is necessary and books are enough." to "Bhakti yoga is a community endeavor". "what am I changing my view from?". Guest is drawing these conclusions about your views from what you are writing.

Where do you get lack of integrity from? Because I agree with most of the devotees who say that Prabhupada said it? You have one post where somebody says Prabudpada didn't say it. There is no inconsistency just because I'm tired of splitting hairs. Either way it's a characterization of myself that you need. Ad hominem being your primary strategy.
This is the only authoritative post quoting Srila Prabhupada that anyone including you has given:

02/25/77

Trivikrama: He has brought you one Chinese script.

Hari-zauri: What does it say?

Devotee (3): This is Chinese character scroll. It says, "Books are the basis, preaching is the essence, utility is the principle, and purity is the force." It was translated wholly by myself, and the characters were written by...

PrabhupAda: Is that all right?

Devotee (5): I can read, but I don't write. Ah... That's not purity. It should be... It's not so exact.

PrabhupAda: What did he say in the trans...?

Devotee (5): It's cleanliness rather than purity.

Bali-mardana: He has translated purity as "cleanliness," not quite exact.

You cannot refute this with any other quote because it doesn't exist therefore your bogus proposition has been clearly defeated. But you don't even care even if its not a matter of opinion like the Rtvik issue but rather it is in black and white right before your face on your computer screen.

Guest guest

There is no point exchanging views with CBRAHMA. As Beggar said, he doesn't keep his integrity in posting. In his latest post, he claims he always maintained that association is important. Book-vadi to community-vadi in a week. I wonder how long before it's back to book-vadi'ism.

Look closely:

You just keep changing your views every week. This is the product of speculation!

Sometime back, you book-vadis were saying no association is necessary and books are enough.

Srila Prabhupada stated many times in the books and in other instructions that the books are sufficient and in fact more than sufficient, they ARE the KEY to success.

Srila Prabhupada was a "BOOK-VADI"!

SB 2.9.4 purport,

<!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: bbcode_quote --> Quote:

<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td style="border: 1px solid rgb(102, 102, 102); padding-left: 3ex; padding-right: 3ex;" bgcolor="#e0e0e0"> The sound of Srimad-Bhagavatam is transcendental, and the resonance of Srimad-Bhagavatam is as good as that of the Vedas. Thus the topic of the Srimad-Bhagavatam is the science of both the Lord and the living entity. Regular reading or hearing of Srimad-Bhagavatam is also performance of bhakti-yoga, and one can attain the highest perfection simply by the association of Srimad-Bhagavatam. Both Sukadeva Gosvami and Maharaja Pariksit attained perfection through the medium of Srimad-Bhagavatam. </td> </tr> </tbody></table>

<!-- END TEMPLATE: bbcode_quote -->

There are many, many such references in the teachings of Srila Prabhupada.

Svarupa Damodar Goswami was a "BOOK-VADI" as he instructed all aspiring devotees who came to get siksha from him that they should make a study of Srimad Bhagavatam from the person Bhagavat.

The person Bhagavat, Srila Prabhupada, has taught Srimad Bhagavatam to the English speaking world.

To attain svarupa-siddhi, one MUST become a book-vadi and absorb the message of the Bhagavatam as delivered by Srila Prabhupada - the authorized agent to the western world.

Guest guest

Ok, you stick to just reading the books. I prefer to read books under the guidance and association of Vaisnavas.

Wonder why all our Acaryas go around preaching and starting societies rather than just sending their books everywhere. Oh well ... !

Srila Prabhupada stated many times in the books and in other instructions that the books are sufficient and in fact more than sufficient, they ARE the KEY to success.

Srila Prabhupada was a "BOOK-VADI"!

SB 2.9.4 purport,

<!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: bbcode_quote --> Quote:

<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td style="border: 1px solid rgb(102, 102, 102); padding-left: 3ex; padding-right: 3ex;" bgcolor="#e0e0e0"> The sound of Srimad-Bhagavatam is transcendental, and the resonance of Srimad-Bhagavatam is as good as that of the Vedas. Thus the topic of the Srimad-Bhagavatam is the science of both the Lord and the living entity. Regular reading or hearing of Srimad-Bhagavatam is also performance of bhakti-yoga, and one can attain the highest perfection simply by the association of Srimad-Bhagavatam. Both Sukadeva Gosvami and Maharaja Pariksit attained perfection through the medium of Srimad-Bhagavatam. </td> </tr> </tbody></table>

<!-- END TEMPLATE: bbcode_quote -->

There are many, many such references in the teachings of Srila Prabhupada.

Svarupa Damodar Goswami was a "BOOK-VADI" as he instructed all aspiring devotees who came to get siksha from him that they should make a study of Srimad Bhagavatam from the person Bhagavat.

The person Bhagavat, Srila Prabhupada, has taught Srimad Bhagavatam to the English speaking world.

To attain svarupa-siddhi, one MUST become a book-vadi and absorb the message of the Bhagavatam as delivered by Srila Prabhupada - the authorized agent to the western world.

Guest guest

Ok, you stick to just reading the books. I prefer to read books under the guidance and association of Vaisnavas.

Wonder why all our Acaryas go around preaching and starting societies rather than just sending their books everywhere. Oh well ... !

Please tell me all about Srila Bhaktivinode's vapuh pastimes at McGill University in Canada. Or did the Thakura consider it sufficient to "just send his book" there? Why?

Well if I'm defeated then so are most devotees in the Western world who believe this. Big Deal. You are desparate indeed. It's hardly a matter of personal integrity.

I can google too. I found the VNN paper and the supposed conversation doesn't come from Folio

This is the link from which the quote was picked up

http://www.vnn.org/world/9802/06-1580/index.html

Here's another quote

By the time of Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura, we see different approaches to achieving the same aim. Whereas his father, Bhaktivinode Thakura, had established Nama Hatta groups in the Bengal countryside, Srila Bhaktisiddhanta saw the need for an organised preaching mission that would produce the needed brahmacari recruits and preachers whose renunciation and learning were respected in society. In his day the Rama Krsna Mission had already become popular and the members of this group wore saffron cloth. British Imperialist culture dominated India at that time and this ruling culture was epitomised by grey suits and boots. Rather uniquely, Bhaktisiddhanta adopted both forms of dress for members of his mission, coining the maxim: 'Books are the basis, purity is the force, preaching is the essence, utility is the principle'.

http://www.iskcon.com/icj/3_1/kripamoya.html

So which is authoritative?

This is the only authoritative post quoting Srila Prabhupada that anyone including you has given:

You cannot refute this with any other quote because it doesn't exist therefore your bogus proposition has been clearly defeated. But you don't even care even if its not a matter of opinion like the Rtvik issue but rather it is in black and white right before your face on your computer screen.

It takes more posts than should be necessary to keep on logical track because of the introduction of deliberate misinterpretations.

Your sweeiping statement is wishful 'ad hominem'

That is his point, to not address anyones point. He seems completely closed to learning.

From the supposed Folio conversation of Trivikrama and Prabhupada, we get Prabhupada never said however on Trivikrama home page we find

The Importance of Preaching

Srila Prabhupada has given us a very valuable slogan; Preaching is the essence, books are the basis, utility is the principle and purity is the force. He also showed by his own example, and instructions, just how essential he considered this first item of preaching.

Hmmmm Curiouser and curiouser

On the very hare-krsna.org related site one of the articles has this quote

Srila Prabhupada writes:

"Better you yourselves do as much as possible to spread Krsna consciousness there by distribution of literature, kirtana and prasadam. That will be as effective as my personally coming. I am very keen on the distribution of my books and I am very indebted to all of you for your untiring efforts to see that every man and woman in America gets one of my books. If they simply read one page, even if they do nothing else, they can become perfect. - [Letter to Hari Basara , April 20, 1974]

http://www.hare-krishna.org/articles/980/1/quotFruit-of-Vrindavanquot/

Srila Prabhupada has given us a very valuable slogan; C. He also showed by his own example, and instructions, just how essential he considered this first item of preaching.; Preaching is the essence, books are the basis, utility is the principle and purity is the force. He also showed by his own example, and instructions, just how essential he considered this first item of preaching.

But the bottom line is that its not in Prabhupada's books, nor is the "10,000 year fallacy". And there is no evidence that Prabhupada ever said, " Preaching is the essence, books are the basis, utility is the principle and purity is the force." What this really shows is that Trivikrama Maharaja and GBC followers like him for what ever reason are not willing to verify whether Prabhupada actually said or wrote the "preaching is the essence..." slogan.

Your darn right its Curiouser and curiouser. And just after Prabhupada departed, Ramesvara who was in charge of the North American BBT published, the small book, "Preaching is the Essence" futher cementing what was really an unverified rumor that the "preaching is the essence..." slogan was something spoken directly by Srila Prabhupada.