IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
cbrahma

Christianity is simpler

Rate this topic

How can any sincere person argue with these contents.

God/Krsna bless you.

From "Chant and Be Happy" Chapter 7

"Christ or Krsna, the name is the same"

My advice is if you are a Lutheran then get into being a Lutheran with all of your heart, all of your mind, and all of your strength. If you find anything that inspires you from another tradition perhaps you can adopt it.

For example Prabhupada met with Christian nuns in England and shared how in his culture his tradition used japa beads to always meditate on the name of God. He also shared that a great Mystic, Chaitanya, said that God has hundreds and millions of names. So in essence he was sharing that if they felt more comfortable to chant "The Jesus Prayer" all during the day then that would be a way that Christians could be faithful to their tradition yet learn a multi-cultural thing to increase their devotion from another tradition.

My advice is meditate on the great saints in your tradition like Saint Francis of Assisi and Mother Teresa. There are so many saints that there is actually a feast day for each day of the year. Then you can use that idea from Gaudiya Vaisnavism that there are many holy days all through the year besides Christmas and Easter.

The main thing is to look to the strengths to keep yourself strong on the path. Study the lives of the great mystics in your tradition, as mystics the world over have shared many common characteristics. You can use the terminology of Gaudiya Vaishnavism to understand the beauty of these Christian mystics: each was a lover of God in a different rasa: santa rasa or peacefulness, dasya rasa or servitude, and so on. Some experienced God as their dearmost friend; others experienced God as their beloved and wore a wedding ring signifying this. Actually I think most nuns do this.

Each tradition also has its own pitfalls. In Christianity there have been the contemporary scandals of Jonestown, Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker, Jimmy Swaggart, Benny Hinn, Ted Haggart, HV Grant, Kent Hovind, Peter Popoff, Robert Tilton, and Jim Whittington. Yet the same religion that produced those people also produced Mother Teresa and Saint Francis of Assisi.

In the meantime perhaps make a checklist of what helps you from Gaudiya Vaisnavism and what doesn't. Then avoid and steer clear of what doesn't resonate with you and incorporate into your life what inspires you. If you make such a checklist you will probably find that there are millions of other people in the world who agree with your list from ALL of the religions of the world. Most people probably don't like tyranny or tyrants as religious leaders. Most nice people probably don't like duplicity and lack of tact and patience in self-styled spiritual leaders. Most people probably don't like a religious leader

using their money for selfish means rather than the stated goals of the Mission Statement of their religion.

Then stick to what you do know and do like, focus on the positive. The first thing on the "to do" list of Jesus was: "Love God"; the second thing was "Love thy neighbor as thyself". Then find the people that are doing those things. Find the people who are really acting on this realization and not talking about it: "God is Love; Love is Patient and Kind." By doing so you will have harmony with every tradition, such as the Dalai Lama who said, "My religion is very simple: my religion is kindness."

Swami Bhakti Sundar Govinda said, "my religion is finding fault with myself."

Just see!

We are all different.

MY RELIGION IS FINDING FAULT IN OTHERS!!!:eek:

(just kidding)

But, if Govinda Maharaja had given the best years of his life to the mission of his spiritual master just to see it spoiled, plundered and disintegrated at the hands of a defunct bureaucracy then maybe his mood would be a little different?

Setting around like some Peacenik at a love festival while the mission of the spiritual master is being plundered and spoiled is hardly humble in my opinion.

When your spiritual master hands you a mission, a math and an acharyaship on silver platter, then finding fault in one's self might not be a bad idea as long as it is real and not just a flowery statement.